1999 Mode Discussion

Creech

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does this glitch work then? I'm at that point on 1999 mode were the couple give you a gift.

Winter's Shield is awesome because almost every Handyman fight has Skylines so with that you can fight them with unlimited invulnerability. Also great for the final battle if you get a patriot or rocket launcher focused on you then you can just hop up and become invincible.

And the gear thing isn't really a glitch it's just a case of reloading your checkpoint if you don't get the gear you want. That spot is good because you start right at the end of the corridor and there are two pieces of gear within 15 feet of each other. I got Vampires Embrace and Blood to Salts as my two after about a half hour of trying.

Other than the gear build for Sirens and Winter Shields epicness, the absolute two greatest tips I got for beating 1999 are for the final battle. Upgrade Return to Sender and just throw charged traps on the blue generator giving it near invulnerability from attack and always leave one patriot up until your songbird is available, the shield provided by return to sender will mean it can't damage the ship anyway. Killing the patriots is what starts the next wave. On my normal playthrough I must have had 8-10 waves of patriots because I didn't know about either of these things. When I finished up 1999 last night I had just two waves of patriots and fired through it on my first attempt. Just be sure to kill that last one AFTER there are no more Zeppelins that can be targeted by you and you will be all set.

Just keep in mind the shield traps are directional, i.e they have to be in the front if you want to shield it from patriots and some normal enemies do get at it from behind so deal with them quickly and they also expire, so if you notice your generator taking damage just go throw a few more on it.

I have a question about 1999 mode.

I've read that if you run out of money you get a game over screen and are returned to the main menu, yet you can still continue the game from where you died. But I'm wondering if this means you cannot get the 1999 mode achievement and Scavenger Hunt achievement anymore. Can anyone give me an answer on this?

Thanks in advance

battle 3 with lady Comstock was such a pain for me , the videos I seen didn’t really help I was still getting battered,

I beat her a way I didn’t see any videos for,

I stayed behind the statue used the sniper on her when I got bum rushed I used possession, for some reason I wasnt bothered that much , it also keeps you out of range / splash damage of the volly guns

Just finished on 1999 mode & not using the dollar vending machine,

i really enjoyed, love 1999 mode..

Roll on DLC

Edited by Nevaeh 2Die4

battle 3 with lady Comstock was such a pain for me , the videos I seen didn’t really help I was still getting battered,

I beat her a way I didn’t see any videos for,

I stayed behind the statue used the sniper on her when I got bum rushed I used possession, for some reason I wasnt bothered that much , it also keeps you out of range / splash damage of the volly guns

Just finished on 1999 mode & not using the dollar vending machine,

i really enjoyed, love 1999 mode..

Roll on DLC

Just finished this last night my 3 lady comstock fights were super easy and I recommend using

Hat - burning halo

Shirt - blood to salt

Boots - (didn't matter I didn't have anything good) Anything that boosts melee would help

Pants - Brittle skin

Vigors - Charge UPGRADED

Just aim at her and press LT, then when you get close you'll have hit her she'll be on fire and you'll be invincible for about 2 melee strikes, with full shield. Then Press LT again and keep doing it until she's dead. It can get kinda crazy with all the walking dead and her and stuff but keep targeting her. You can beat her in under 30 sec.

The Gear I used almost the whole way was with very few exceptions

Hat - Sheltered Life

Shirt - Blood to salts

Boots - Newtons Law

Pants - The pants that grant 50% more damage on critical hits

I really only changed gear for the melee fights and if there was a skyline I'd throw on the Winter one that made you invincible when you leave a sky line (very helpful for handymen!)

Edited by UCSDpitcher

Other than the gear build for Sirens and Winter Shields epicness, the absolute two greatest tips I got for beating 1999 are for the final battle. Upgrade Return to Sender and just throw charged traps on the blue generator giving it near invulnerability from attack and always leave one patriot up until your songbird is available, the shield provided by return to sender will mean it can't damage the ship anyway. Killing the patriots is what starts the next wave. On my normal playthrough I must have had 8-10 waves of patriots because I didn't know about either of these things. When I finished up 1999 last night I had just two waves of patriots and fired through it on my first attempt. Just be sure to kill that last one AFTER there are no more Zeppelins that can be targeted by you and you will be all set.

Just keep in mind the shield traps are directional, i.e they have to be in the front if you want to shield it from patriots and some normal enemies do get at it from behind so deal with them quickly and they also expire, so if you notice your generator taking damage just go throw a few more on it.

This is a huge tip that everybody playing on 1999 mode should use. Like many others I used the Charge and Shock with the melee gear for most of the game. It made this mode a breeze. After making it to the final fight and failing many times I came on here looking for answers.

After reading the above I tried the Return to Sender tonic and figured it would fail because I had already had it auto-save on me and I had no chance to go back and upgrade it.

I ended up completing it on my first try with over 60% left. Just like the above I kept one patriot alive while shooting all Zepelins in sight. When there were no more I would kill it and repeat. It made it soooooo easy :woop:.

My $.02 that have probably already been posted - the Winter Shield is an absolute must - I was able to fly through the last 10% of the game with ease. If you abuse this it makes everything insanely easy.

I upgraded salts fully and then went to the shields. Used possession all the time on the powerful enemies or when I was swarmed with the weaker ones.

For the Siren I had upgraded the charge fully and spammed that until she was pretty weak. After that I would grab one of the power weapons (usually a crank gun) and just unload on her.

Overall the 1999 mode was not that difficult imo. Spam Winter Shield and you'll win with ease. I did do a hard run before I played through 1999 so I was better acclimated to the game.

Winter's Shield is awesome because almost every Handyman fight has Skylines so with that you can fight them with unlimited invulnerability. Also great for the final battle if you get a patriot or rocket launcher focused on you then you can just hop up and become invincible.

And the gear thing isn't really a glitch it's just a case of reloading your checkpoint if you don't get the gear you want. That spot is good because you start right at the end of the corridor and there are two pieces of gear within 15 feet of each other. I got Vampires Embrace and Blood to Salts as my two after about a half hour of trying.

I absolutely love you. This was easier than when I did it on Normal. I mean, using Return to sender and one patriot+ winter shield skyhooking everything else made this sooooooo easy. I had been dreading this since I had played it on Normal/

i will give you a couple tips from my 1999 run-

1. GET WINTER SHIELD, most of the tough battles have sky hooks / lines that you can grapple on, makes them a sinch.

2. snipe lots

3. for the siren battles, don't sit back. kill them as quickly as possible. if they live longer than a minute, you are doing it wrong. i would unload on them with the hail fire (fully upgraded), a hail fire with full ammo should kill them

4. always have at least 1,000 dollars on you to be able to respawn

i will give you a couple tips from my 1999 run-

1. GET WINTER SHIELD, most of the tough battles have sky hooks / lines that you can grapple on, makes them a sinch.

2. snipe lots

3. for the siren battles, don't sit back. kill them as quickly as possible. if they live longer than a minute, you are doing it wrong. i would unload on them with the hail fire (fully upgraded), a hail fire with full ammo should kill them

4. always have at least 1,000 dollars on you to be able to respawn

Sirens can be killed in about 15 seconds, just get fully upgraded Charge and if possible - melee gear, Brittle Skin and Burning Halo are best! I beated them all on first try, except the first one, because I didn´t really get how to do it.

Sirens can be killed in about 15 seconds, just get fully upgraded Charge and if possible - melee gear, Brittle Skin and Burning Halo are best!

I cannot stress enough how vital and game-breaking this setup is. In fact, the third battle she literally died after the third hit with my Charge. I was still pressing the left trigger a few seconds afterwards before I realized the "cut scene" had started.

I cannot stress enough how vital and game-breaking this setup is. In fact, the third battle she literally died after the third hit with my Charge. I was still pressing the left trigger a few seconds afterwards before I realized the "cut scene" had started.

Yeah, the third battle was actually the easiest one for me, she died so fast that before I realised it, I used charge 2 more times, lol!

I just started this mode and confused what to do...this thread says level up shield first...but achievement guide says level up your health first...which is it?

It's what you think is better really. You either get a ton of health, or more shield that regenerates. Personally I am going shield. The start of the game had some pretty tough parts because of the lack of gear and upgrades, but it's getting easier. (for now)

Guys I had a quick question; I just started playing Bioshock Infinite and I started off with the 1999 Mode. I'm on Chapter 6 I believe, where DeWitt wakes up on the beach right after falling with Anna.

So I keep reading about people using Carbine as the main weapon. From what I understand you can't use the Dollar Bill Vending machines, which basically sell weapons, to buy any weapons. Right now I have only been able to find & pick up the pistol & the machine gun. So how do I get the Carbine & other weapons? Will I be able to pick them up along the way? Or can I purchase them somewhere other then the Dollar Bill Vending?

Thanks!!

OMG you guys I just found this, tested it in my game and also so my husbands and it works! There's more on this site but this one is especially lucid in not only its written tutorial but video walkthrough as well. It only came up a couple of hours ago. You all have helped me so many times so it pleases me to no end to offer up something that might help you:

http://www.reddit.com/r/bioshock

it's the 10nth video down from the start; have fun!

Sirens can be killed in about 15 seconds, just get fully upgraded Charge and if possible - melee gear, Brittle Skin and Burning Halo are best! I beated them all on first try, except the first one, because I didn´t really get how to do it.

Glad that I decided to check out the forums. Was stuck on that first siren battle for a while now. This tip helped out immensely. :woop:

I'm doing my 1999 playthrough and I'm about to board the Hand of the Prophet at the end. I have already fully upgraded carbine and shotgun, as well as charge, possession and bucking bronco vigors. I still have more than 7000 silver eagles and was wondering if there are more weapons/vigors I should upgrade. Any suggestion?

I'm on chapter 26 right now on my 1999 playthrough and have so far been extremely disappointed. I'm not a guy who normally complains about how easy video games have become but this game is very easy on the hardest difficulty. I can think of 2 or 3 fights later that I know are gonna be really hard but overall this mode should have been the hard difficulty or maybe even normal and they should have made one or two even harder.

Edited by thenutman69321

I'm on chapter 26 right now on my 1999 playthrough and have so far been extremely disappointed. I'm not a guy who normally complains about how easy video games have become but this game is very easy on the hardest difficulty. I can think of 2 or 3 fights later that I know are gonna be really hard but overall this mode should have been the hard difficulty or maybe even normal and they should have made one or two even harder.

Well, I play all of games I get on highest difficulty, and I play alot, and this one was pretty hard for me, well, everyone has it´s own style of playing games, but I had trouble with this one for sure.

Well, I play all of games I get on highest difficulty, and I play alot, and this one was pretty hard for me, well, everyone has it´s own style of playing games, but I had trouble with this one for sure.

Hmm strange. I'm a guy who always plays on the medium difficulty and then only does a harder difficulty after if there's an achievement for it and I usually have a lot of trouble on those harder difficulties. I had trouble in the very beginning of the game when you only have your pistol/mg and possession. As soon as the options opened up and I got a few upgrades and a couple pieces of gear I didn't die a single time until the final fight when I died once.

Maybe I just got some lucky gear pickups. I used mostly melee gear, the stuff that gives you health and salts for melee kills and sets people on fire. I rushed head long right into the middle of the enemies in most fights that didn't involve handymen or other big enemies, throw one possession and some murder of crows and melee'd the hell out of people with a couple of carbine or mg shots throw in, I rarely ran low on salts and finished most fights with full health because I could gain it back as fast as I was losing it. Then when you unlock charge (hadn't really explored that skill yet when I did my last post) later in the game with that setup if felt laughably easy.

Edited by thenutman69321