'Grease Monkey'? Try this! (if you still can...)

Bahaumaut

Okay, I did a little research and I think I may have a way of getting the glitched 'Grease Monkey' achievement, at least if you haven't already attempted to do so (or can delete your profile and retrieve a pre-DarkVoid profile from Live... if you've been connected since playing, you may already be screwed!)

I did not get it the first time, as I was simply upgrading and playing through. However, I knew from the forums that it apparently saves the gun info in your profile, so I disconnected myself from LIVE (fully unplugged the Box), played, glitched. I deleted my profile, reconnected to redownload my LIVE profile, disconnected again, and then performed the following steps.

First, I went and grinded 141,600+ tech points. I suggest a little bit over just in case. That is how much it will cost to upgrade all your weapons and your jetpack. I then did 2-4 again, topping off my points in the first section with the ships before the drop troops came in the second part of the level. After fighting several, I went to one of the boxes in the area to upgrade. I then performed the following steps:

1) I equipped the Liberator in the first slot (I think it was already equipped).

2) I bought the first upgrade, then after a few seconds, bought the second.

3) I then swapped the first slot to the Magnetar, and repeated step #2.

4+) I repeated #2 for all the guns, specifically doing the top row from left to right, then the bottom row from left to right.

5) After upgrading all the guns, I then went and did step #2 on the jetpack.

6) I got the warm fuzzies upon seeing that damn achievement pop up.

I don't know if there's any specific case for upgrades in the first slot vs. second slot, or order of the slots. It may be that just upgrading all at the same time works. Additionally, it may be that there's a separate issue causing the thing to glitch.

One thought as a programmer myself, and this is all conjecture, is that the 'upgrade' status is kept separately from the 'Upgrade Count'. The Upgrade count is checked for 14 upgrades bought (6 weapons + 1 jetpack, * 2 upgrades each)... and the upgrade count is only saved at a checkpoint. So if you quit and/or die, the upgrade count is < the actual # of upgrades. And as the upgrades themselves are saved in your profile permenantly... well, you may never get to the 14, causing the glitch. As I said, conjecture, but could explain the problem.

I'm not about to go and try to harvest tech points on another run just to test it some more; if you try this out, post here stating whether it worked for you or not.

this is all great as long as u havent glitched out already ive give up up on a fix now so im not gonna get the last 2 ach's and its a shit sandwich for me. really annoying after all the grinding done for the tech points.

Unforuntately, as I said in the first paragraph:

[A]t least if you haven't already attempted to do so (or can delete your profile and retrieve a pre-DarkVoid profile from Live... if you've been connected since playing, you may already be screwed!)

Until they get a 'reset' switch like CrackDown finally got (Multiplayer was one player's persistent world, and someone could come in and beat all the bosses before you got anywhere, leaving you with nothing to do in your game until an update/DLC allowed for 'restarting' all the enemies), this achieve will probably be glitched. If you have not attempted and have your profile on LIVE, I strongly suggest to stay off LIVE while doing so, and delete your profile and re-acquire it afterwards if you get the glitch. Unfortunately, there seems to be little news from the devs who did 'One of the most anticipated games of 2010'.

• 3 weeks later...

While this may not be of much use to anyone I figured I'll put it out there all the same.

I picked up the game on April 12th and there was a title update there (oddly enough I forgot I pulled my ethernet out for my PS3 and did the first few missions offline) and finished up with 1k score on two afternoons later.

I upgraded my equipment a few times, both at the beginning of a mission and through the use of in game boxes. After I finished the game I needed roughly 80,000 tech points to complete grease monkey and spent a few hours farming it at Chapter 2-4 on casual (I did the first and only playthrough on Hardcore). Once I had enough tech points I quit out and reloaded up the same chapter on Hardcore and upgraded all of the items (in no particular order) at the weapon locker starring at you in the beginning of the level. I didn't delay my timing and I didn't make sure they were in any particular slot.

As I said for what it's worth I thought I'd give my experience which this horrible achievement. I may have simply been one of the lucky ones and dodged a bullet here. Or the title update made it less glitchy (perhaps the key was doing the last upgrade in game). I feel for those that did get hit with this shitty bug as I would have been right there pissed as you were if I had that happen. Best of luck guys and thanks to Bahaumaut for doing his very best to alleviate some of the problems people are having with this game.

I just got this game and haven't played it, so let me get this straight:

1. Start up game not connecting to LIVE or playing online

2. Play until 2-4 (or do I have to play farther to get all the guns?)

3. Farm the points and upgrade all at once like you said

4. If it doesn't pop, delete/recover profile and try again

Just wondering cause I'll defnitely try this to help confirm. Replaying would be lame, but better than a glitched achievement.

RadiantViper,

It's probably okay to connect to Live starting up, at least to get the one title update. Any patches are probably needed given some of the issues with the game. The key is that the game saves some stuff, like the weapon upgrades, to your profile, but other stuff isn't (like whatever it does to ID you bought all the upgrades; I assume it's a # counter). Because some stuff gets put into your profile without you being able to remove it, this can cause the 'permanant' glitch on grease monkey.

So you can get the title update, but when you're going for the grease monkey achieve, make sure you disconnect completely (remove all wired/wireless connections to your 360) so that your online profile is pristine. This way, if something happens and your achieve doesn't unlock once you get all the upgrades, you have the ability to blow away your local copy from storage. Reconnect to Live, do a recovery (this will take several minutes, unfortunately), and attempt again. Just be careful to delete your profile and not all the associated content with it; it gives you the option if you have to go that route.

As an aside, there appears to be a new feature with USBs being a storage medium. No clue if you can use it to store your profile and/or use it as a backup. If so, it might be another way to protect us from the problem.

Well, good news and bad news. Good news is I got the achievement. Bad news is I can't confirm the recovering method since I got it my first try. Never upgraded anything until I got enough points for all of them, went offline, upgraded at an in-game box, and did the order you described in the original post and it popped just fine. So at the very least I can lend credence to that upgrading method. Still, this is obviously the way to go to avoid this glitch, so big props for the heads up :D

I did the same thing and it worked for me :-). Got my 1000 thanks to these tips. I did what the achievement guide says. I made sure i had 145000. After i had enough money. I saved. Copied my savegame and profile to memstick. Loaded game - Upgraded weopons all in slot 1 , upgraded jetpack and achievement popped :-)

Thanks again for the tips.

I pretty much did the same as RadiantViper. I played through the entire game while connected to xbl on hardcore without every upgrading/swapping any weapons..I would just immediately close that screen when it came up. Once I finished and had 144600 tech points, I quit the game, disconnected from XBL, loaded the game, loaded episode 2-4, went right for the box, upgraded everything as you posted and the achivement popped with no problems.

Honestly, I think you can skip the disconnecting from XBL part. I think as long as you never upgrade at all until you have enough tech points to do so all at one time, you should be good to go.

I did it this way: I upgraded the Opressor once during a mission and the Liberator once before a mission (did continue to finish the mission though), then the Jetpack again twice during a mission. Then I went on to complete the game (everything so far on hardcore) and grinded my tech-points on casual. Once done I shut off my Xbox, unplugged the ethernet-cable, loaded the game back up and upgraded the rest of the weapons in chapter 2-4 with difficulty set to hardcore again. Achievement unlocked just fine.

You probably don't need all these safety measures as it should be enough to upgrade the last weapon ingame but you can never be sure... anyway thanks to the OP for the idea of recovering your profile. That made it less ...thrilling :p

Edited by Helg0r

• 2 weeks later...

just to make things clear - I don't have to farm all the tech points, and can freely upgrade my stuff anytime in the game baring in mind that the last upgrade has to be done during the chapter and not in in-game menus, righ ?

that means the risk of glitching is really high when not buying the upgrades at once. oh well I'd have to stick to the instructions Bahaumaut posted.

is it really hard on hardcore without any of the upgrades ?

still I might want to go through the game on easy just for this achievement and then get back to hardcore for any others.

that means the risk of glitching is really high when not buying the upgrades at once. oh well I'd have to stick to the instructions Bahaumaut posted.

is it really hard on hardcore without any of the upgrades ?

still I might want to go through the game on easy just for this achievement and then get back to hardcore for any others.

My first and only playthrough was on hardcore..and as I mentioned above..i never upgraded anything until I had enough to buy all the upgrades. I didn't have too much problem getting through the game.

Honestly, once I upgraded everything, I tried playing some levels for a bit to see how much 'easier' the upgrades would make it..and to be honest, It didn't feel much different....so I am not sure how much the upgrades really help.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So what OP is saying is upgrade the weapons in the first slot only? Ok... we'll see if it works!
not really because i mistakenly upgraded my first 100000 on the upgrade screen(not the box mid level) because the achievement guide said you only need 100000 xp to upgrade so i thought i was screwed then i just carried on getting xp then upgraded the rest no problem,maybe its glitched for some people but i had no prolem

I just got the achievement today and I can explain in detail how. I played this on medium, never went to easy for tech points. I used the beginning to switch guns but never upgraded from there, I bought upgrades every now and then but never on the last gun.

I only had 2 achievements left to get before grease monkey. I saved up enough to get the rest of the upgrades in one lump sum I went to go play on prison break and used the box there swapping all my guns out one by one first with the level 3 and shooting them first, then followed by upgrading them to level 2 and shooting them real quick then with the last gun I just fully upgraded without taking it out of the box.

Seems when I would always swap the last gun out of the box and into my hand it woud have to have a small loading screen I didnt want this to mess with the achievement so I upgraded it last and in one lump sum taking a guess and it worked maybe the last gun ( sorry forget what you call it)

I also didnt ski[ any scenes when in time for the upgrading that is all I can help with just upgrade the last gun last and shoot all your guns first before upgrading

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished the game on Hardcore, without upgrading anything. I've racked up 100k so far, and I'll get the rest of those points today. i'll upgrade everything all at once offline and see what happens

EDIT: Ok so I got this cheeve today. I'll add it here for clarity.

No upgrades on weapons or pack at all

I farmed 2-4 to 150k tech points to be on the safe side.

I disconnected from Live, just in case it glitched and could recover my GT and try again

Loaded 2-4 again, skipped the cutscene, and ran straight to the weapons chest right in front of you.

I had the machine gun in slot 1, upgraded to level 2, waited 5 seconds, and upgraded to level 3

Waited 5 seconds

Swapped the machine gun for the next weapon (middle-top), and upgraded in the same way

Repeated for all the weapons, and then the Rocket Pack

Cheeve popped as soon as I level 3'd the Rocket Pack.

So I can't say whether the glitch is fixed, but I can say this method worked. Its just as likely the upgrades needing to be done at the same time, as it is that you need to leave a pause between each upgrade so you aren't doing it too fast, and confusing the save system.

Thanks to those above for their help, a dodgy achievement and its good to get everyones ways of how it did and didn't work.

Edited by Pine Reaper
Addition

• 1 month later...