Achievement Guide and Roadmap

Yannie Boy

http://zunited.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/fb0b3470-b4d5-df11-a844-00237de2db9e.png

Achievement Guide and Roadmap

-Estimated achievement difficulty: 3/10

-Offline: 0 (0:gsicon:)

-Online: 20 (200:gsicon:)

-Approximate time to 200: 10+ Hours (Depends on Luck)

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: N/A (Turn Based Game)

-Missable Achievements: None

-Glitchy Achievements: Decennial, Jubilee

-Do cheat codes disable achievements?: No Cheats

-Extra Equipment Needed?: Windows Phone 7/8 Handset

-Useful links: http://www.lexicalwordfinder.com/

Special Thanks:

IEvil IMonkey

Seiryu

Arsenic 17

Callum x360a

Welcome to AlphaJax, a scrabble like clone, that was first made during a Microsoft Competition and due popular indie success recently became a Xbox Live Title. Just like the popular board game and popular mobile game, Words with Friends. The objective is to spell out letters on the board using the tiles randomly given. The tiles in hand have various face values. The player with the most points at the end of the game from spelling out words, win.

Disclaimer: Any reproduction of material without permission/credit allows me to punch you in the face.

Grab it here.

http://cdn.wpcentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/styles/medium/public/field/image/2012/12/AlphaJaxXboxTag.JPG

http://windowsphone.com/s?appId=204ab97d-3bd3-4aca-8a20-8f20fe536d47

14CLiGJhbC9BFQRLXVBQGzUwL2FjaC8wLzUAAAAA5+fn+GJueA==.jpg

Bingo 15:gsicon:

Clear your rack in a single move

Clearing the rack consists of using all 7 of your tiles at any given time.

[Can be completed with Pass & Play]

1YCLiGJhbC9CFQRLXVBQGzUwL2FjaC8wLzYAAAAA5+fn+kNnzQ==.jpg

Primary 10:gsicon:

Play your first 50-74 words

**See Tertiary**

http://xb.exophase.com/achievements/bd61d036/s/69578.png

Secondary 10:gsicon:

Play your first 75-99 words

**See Tertiary**

http://xb.exophase.com/achievements/f2548065/s/69579.png

Tertiary 10:gsicon:

Play your first 100+ words

These ones require that you play a word worth 50-74, 75-99, and 100 points. Using the all of the bonus spaces will be key to unlocking this.

1oCLiGJhbC9NFQRLXVBQGzUwL2FjaC8wLzkAAAAA5+fn+WRzww==.jpg

Initial 15:gsicon:

Win your first game

Simple, win your first game.

Start up a game with a local user then have them resign.

1YCLiGJhbC8VFQRLXVBQGzUwL2FjaC8wL2EAAAAA5+fn+kssbw==.jpg

Squeaker 10:gsicon:

Win a game by less than 5 points

At the end of the game, your points are tallied up. Win with your total score within 5 points of your opponent.

Start up a game with a Local User, keep your score within 5 then have the local user resign.

14CLiGJhbC8WFQRLXVBQGzUwL2FjaC8wL2IAAAAA5+fn+Gol2g==.jpg

Compound 5:gsicon:

Score a word multiplier and a letter multiplier with one word

You must play a word across a DL/TL and a DW/TW in one shot. Ideally the best way to do this is to clear your rack for your first turn and aim for the DL and DW at the same shot.

1oCLiGJhbC8XFQRLXVBQGzUwL2FjaC8wL2MAAAAA5+fn+YrdSQ==.jpg

Compatriot 10:gsicon:

Play a game with a friend

Again simple, From the Main Menu, go to Create New Game, under Friends, find and locate a friend in your friends list who has recently played the game. Use the following link to find someone to help out.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=403207

04CLiGJhbC8QFQRLXVBQGzUwL2FjaC8wL2QAAAAA5+fn-Cg2sA==.jpg

Proficiency 5:gsicon:

Play a skill match game

Again, also simple. From the Main Menu, go to Create New Game, under Match Up, click "Skill Match"

0oCLiGJhbC8RFQRLXVBQGzUwL2FjaC8wL2UAAAAA5+fn-cjOIw==.jpg

Replay 5:gsicon:

Play a rematch

Underneath the Create New Game option, you can swipe to the Rematch section and ask for a rematch for any recent player. You can request a re-match while in the middle of a match if in a hurry for the achievement.

0ICLiGJhbC8SFQRLXVBQGzUwL2FjaC8wL2YAAAAA5+fn-+nHlg==.jpg

Unpredictable 5:gsicon:

Create a random game

Simple, From the Main Menu, go to Create New Game, under Match Up, click "Random Game".

04CLiGJhbC9ECxtUGltSVTUwL2FjaC8wLzEwAAAAAOfn5-zBLMQ=.jpg

Proposal 10:gsicon:

Start 5 games by inviting other players

Underneath the Create New Game option, you can swipe to the Invite section and invite a player to play against. Just enter the gamertag (Friend or Random) and start the match. Can be done multiple times till it pops.

http://xb.exophase.com/achievements/944ecb5d/s/69584.png

Inaugural 10:gsicon:

Complete your first game with no tiles remaining

At the end of a game, make sure that your rack is empty. Make use of spaces between letters for those last minute points with 2 letter words.

[Must be a 2 Player Game]

http://www.trueachievements.com/imagestore/0001071900/1071984.jpg

Duplicate 5:gsicon:

Score 2 word multipliers with one word

This will probably be the hardest achievement in the game. You must play a word across 2 DW/TW in one shot.

This one will take a bit of time and manipulation. In order to unlock the achievement, you will need to create a 9-letter word that will span across both 'DW' bonuses at the same time. You can do this in a local 'Pass & Play' game.

...so choose a word based on your starting letters from here:

http://www.becomeawordgameexpert.com/wordlists9.htm

You'll have to abuse the swap-tile feature, but if you keep doing that, the game will start giving you back the tiles you first swapped out. Just use what you don't want on another part of the board and hold or build part of the word you've selected, with the other tiles.

i.e,

I used the word 'RETENTION' spanning from the upper-right 'DW' to the lower-right 'DW'

- I started with a word that ended with an 'N'. The 'N' was positioned between the two 'DW's

- Next, I built my letter up to the word 'EN'

- After a few turns, to 'TEN'

- A bit more tile-swapping and built it up to 'TENT'

- Now held the remaining tiles needed until I could complete the entire word 'RETENTION'

Credit to AC1DGro0ve 3o3 from TA for this method

http://www.trueachievements.com/imagestore/0001071900/1071985.jpg

Philogoer 10:gsicon:

Score 300-399 in a game

**See Glossologist**

http://xb.exophase.com/achievements/10504a64/s/69587.png

Decennial 15:gsicon:

Play 10 games

**See Jubilee**

http://www.trueachievements.com/imagestore/0001072400/1072495.jpg

Jubilee 15:gsicon:

Play 50 games

Win or Lose, you must complete 50 games total. In some cases, to update your played games you need to register a loss. Once hitting a games played requirement, jump into a game and resign to get it to pop if your having issues.

[Must be a 2 Player Game/Boostable]

http://xb.exophase.com/achievements/2c6a4535/s/69589.png

Vocabulist 10:gsicon:

Score 400-449 in a game

**See Glossologist**

http://www.trueachievements.com/imagestore/0001071900/1071987.jpg

Glossologist 15:gsicon:

Score 450+ in a game

At the end of every game, your points are tallied up and scored. You'll need your score to surpass 299,399, and 450 points for these to pop.

http://www.trueachievements.com/imagestore/0001072400/1072496.jpg

Lexicographer 10:gsicon:

Get a rating of 1500+

With every win or loss, your Rating will update accordingly. This will be the lengthiest achievement to get. With never losing a game you'll need over 200 games. Having your queue built up with games constantly and using a solver will make this easier. However, if you just keep at it, this will come over time.

[Must be a 2 Player Game/Boostable]

**Note Rejecting a Game Invite May Count as a loss.**

Edited by Yannie Boy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got SQUEAKER in a pass and play game aswell as the points achievements (except 450+ as I finished with 428)

INAUGURAL doesn't unlock in pass and play as I've finished twice with no tiles and no achievement. an anybody confirm this is only unlockable in a 2 player game

Also I got PRIMARY without any problem but both my friend and I cannot seem to get SECONDARY or TERTIARY to unlock despite playing more than 100+ letter so then we tried for 100+ words and still nothing.... possible bug??

LEXICOGRAPHER - your level seems to go up after every game played if you win and down if you lose. This is in player games, not just skill matches, but be careful as you boost as my level was over 1100 and is now back down to around 1028 because of helping people win etc

You say for DUPLICATE you mut play a word across 2 DW/TW in one shot but I dont believe this is possible as those tiles do not line up.... can you make this a little clearer please?

Edited by IEvil IMonkey

I got SQUEAKER in a pass and play game aswell as the points achievements (except 450+ as I finished with 428)

I can confirm this as well, I got BINGO, INITIAL, SQUEAKER, COMPOUND, PHILOGOLER, VOCABULIST, and GLOSSOLOGIST all in a single Pass & Play game.

INAUGURAL doesn't unlock in pass and play as I've finished twice with no tiles and no achievement. an anybody confirm this is only unlockable in a 2 player game

This as well. In the game in which I got all the achievements listed above I used up all of my tiles but did not get the INAUGURAL achievement. I assume this means it must be done in a 2 player game.

Also I got PRIMARY without any problem but both my friend and I cannot seem to get SECONDARY or TERTIARY to unlock despite playing more than 100+ letter so then we tried for 100+ words and still nothing.... possible bug??

I don't think this is a bug, however I think the descriptions on this guide may be wrong. I got PRIMARY in a Pass & Play game well before I had played 50 words, however the word I played when it unlocked was worth 59 points. I'm guessing that this means the achievements are not for the number of words played, but for the value of a single word, therefore:

PRIMARY = play a single word worth 50-74 points

SECONDARY = play a single word worth 75-99 points

TERTIARY = play a single world worth over 100 points

and since I unlocked PRIMARY in Pass & Play, I assume the other 2 can be done in Pass & Play as well.

You say for DUPLICATE you mut play a word across 2 DW/TW in one shot but I dont believe this is possible as those tiles do not line up.... can you make this a little clearer please?

No, there is no where that both DW & TW line up, but there are places where there are 2 DWs or 2 TWs lined up, however it is difficult to hit 2 with one word. For 2 DWs you need a word that is 9 letters or more, and for 2 TWs you need one 11 letters or more.

Even if you are using a helper website such as the one linked in the guide I think it is safe to say that TERTIARY and DUPLICATE will be extremely difficult to get just because of the sheer luck required to have a set of letters that make them possible. I'd say that because of these achievements the difficulty should probably be higher than a 3/10, or at least note that the game can be very time consuming because of the luck required.

Also, speaking of that helper site linked in the guide. While it may work for Scrabble and/or Words with Friends, I tried it out and had a few words it gave me come back as invalid, so apparently AlphaJax doesn't have as many words in its dictionary as that site does.

I can confirm this as well, I got BINGO, INITIAL, SQUEAKER, COMPOUND, PHILOGOLER, VOCABULIST, and GLOSSOLOGIST all in a single Pass & Play game.

This as well. In the game in which I got all the achievements listed above I used up all of my tiles but did not get the INAUGURAL achievement. I assume this means it must be done in a 2 player game.

I don't think this is a bug, however I think the descriptions on this guide may be wrong. I got PRIMARY in a Pass & Play game well before I had played 50 words, however the word I played when it unlocked was worth 59 points. I'm guessing that this means the achievements are not for the number of words played, but for the value of a single word, therefore:

PRIMARY = play a single word worth 50-74 points

SECONDARY = play a single word worth 75-99 points

TERTIARY = play a single world worth over 100 points

and since I unlocked PRIMARY in Pass & Play, I assume the other 2 can be done in Pass & Play as well.

No, there is no where that both DW & TW line up, but there are places where there are 2 DWs or 2 TWs lined up, however it is difficult to hit 2 with one word. For 2 DWs you need a word that is 9 letters or more, and for 2 TWs you need one 11 letters or more.

Even if you are using a helper website such as the one linked in the guide I think it is safe to say that TERTIARY and DUPLICATE will be extremely difficult to get just because of the sheer luck required to have a set of letters that make them possible. I'd say that because of these achievements the difficulty should probably be higher than a 3/10, or at least note that the game can be very time consuming because of the luck required.

Also, speaking of that helper site linked in the guide. While it may work for Scrabble and/or Words with Friends, I tried it out and had a few words it gave me come back as invalid, so apparently AlphaJax doesn't have as many words in its dictionary as that site does.

Awesome. Thanks. Will update info accordingly. Needed to test somethings out my self and get clarification.

For the achievements requiring you to play x words. You actually have to play a word worth 50 - 74 points, 75-99 and 100+ Just tested this myself :)

Thanks. I just confirmed this with a buddy of mine. He had some crazy word play off of a TW. :mad:

Edited by Yannie Boy

I actually didnt even realize there was pass and play in this game, so I was playing with two windows phones against each other online. This is also the quickest way to boost the LEXICOGRAPHER. I am not sure where you get 5+ hours. That is likely only possible with two windows phones or friends that will let you beat them for hours on end. You get 12 points per win up to you reach around 1200 rating. after that you get only 2 points per win. it may even decrease to 1 as you get close to 1500. so you have to win around 250 games without losing barely any. I would say you cant do a game online versus another player in less than a minute (create then they resign). so if you are trading the victories. It would take around 10 hours to do both of you assuming optimal conditions. I am sure it has something to do with the skill of the opponent, but if you play this legit against opponents of your skill, you will likely lose and win some, meaning it will take much longer.

Also a few glitches I ran into when I was boosting. If either player gets a 100+ point word, if the other player resigns (who didnt get the word), both players will get the achievement. This also happened with some other achievements. If your opponent does something that meets the requirements for some of the achievements, you can just resign and you will get them too.

Also, for the PLAY so many games achievements, it seems to me that you have to lose for it to actually register you as playing the game. Basically just get your total games played above 50 then lose a game, either legit or by resigning from the go.

STILL DONT THINK I WANT TO BOTHER WITH LEXICOGRAPHER OR DUPLICATE. TOO MUCH HASSLE. ILL SETTLE FOR 180.

Edited by Arsenic 17

You can also mention for the TERTIARY achievement that you get a large bonus for using everyone of your tiles. while it is not entirely necessary, it does make the 100+ point word acheivement easier. In Scrabble, you earn an additional 50 points if you get the Bingo. I cant tell exactly what you get for this game, but it is comparable for sure. Thats how I got the highest scoring word on the global leaderboard.

Also for LEXICOGRAPHER, I would like to see someone that has done it legitimately. Presumedly if you just keep playing skill matches against like ranked opponents, you would get 12 points for every win. Meaning you only need about 45 wins. The top guy on my leaderboard has over 1500 and only played 64 games, winning 58. If boosting however, you will have to play 200+ games.

Edited by Arsenic 17

Can someone please explain how to boost the Lexicographer cheevo. I played over 50 games with my girl friend always pressing loss. But neither I do get any points or she loses any. We are stuck at 1215 and 799 points >_>"

Was it working at first then you suddenly stopped getting points? I stopped around 1208 so I was still getting 2 points per win when I gave up.

Was it working at first then you suddenly stopped getting points? I stopped around 1208 so I was still getting 2 points per win when I gave up.

I just found out that you need more dummy accounts. One account can't go under 798 points. You can earn around 215 points from each account you beat down to 800.

Edited by Lucki88

I just found out that you need more dummy accounts. One account can't go under 798 points. You can earn around 215 points from each account you beat down to 800.

OK...it always goes down by 2 each time right when the rating spread is that large right? I have a spare WP and just made two microsoft accounts.

OK...it always goes down by 2 each time right when the rating spread is that large right? I have a spare WP and just made two microsoft accounts.

yeah right it always goes down by 2 :)

Edit 1: i just reached 1500 but not achievement unlocked

Edit 2: In order to unlock the achievement just play a skill match game and surrender

Edited by Lucki88

That "retention" solution is great - can take some time and frustration to get it to work, but it works flawlessly as long as you play the other side of the board in the mean time.

Anybody figured out a good solution for the point values? Getting 100 points for a word actually seems impossible.

http://www.trueachievements.com/imagestore/0001071900/1071984.jpg

Duplicate 5:gsicon:

Score 2 word multipliers with one word

This will probably be the hardest achievement in the game. You must play a word across 2 DW/TW in one shot.

Credit to AC1DGro0ve 3o3 from TA for this method

Got the achievement by following this guide.