Video Achievement guides?

mentaljason

A friend and I were thinking about making some video achievement guides and putting them on YouTube to help others. We are not really that high of achievement scores but we think making achievement video guides could be fun.

So this is to see how much interest there would be???

And also feel free to check out our gamertags and if you are interested and see an achievement you need a guide for, post that in the post regarding your interest.

Our GTs: Mental Jay and BicolorWalnut

SORRY IF THIS IS THE WRONG SPOT FOR THIS THREAD IT SEEMED MOST APPROPRIATE

I think it's a great idea, and there are many scenarios where a video really shows what is best.

Just make your vid, and post a link to it in the achievement guide thread, and maybe the OP will add it to the guide.

I have a video in my Stranglehold guide to help members with the Ruthless achievement

We did start and do these, but with only a couple of people submitting them it never took off. This is something we would love to have people submitting, but it needs to be a good recording direct from a TV (not a cam of a TV), and it also needs to be easy to understand. And needs to be the harder achievements like Shaaady said

We did start and do these, but with only a couple of people submitting them it never took off. This is something we would love to have people submitting, but it needs to be a good recording direct from a TV (not a cam of a TV), and it also needs to be easy to understand. And needs to be the harder achievements like Shaaady said

You mean, like STAT1C said? :p

If I knew how, I would be a contributor of video achievement guides, but in all honesty, I really don't have a clue.

I've read about that you need some sort of wire? Fill me in, and I might become a contributor. ;)

~SS

Ooops, sorry.

Basically all you need is a Video capture card on your PC, and then a set of cables to split the feed from your xbox.

This may help more than me lol http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/lordgideon_video/

Fairly sure someone will help you out. And anyone techie minded reading this, if you can give a full list of what equipment you recommend (ie brand and model names), then it will make life easier for some

Equipment needed (recommended):

Plextor ConvertX PX-TV402U PVR Recorder with Tuner - $179.99

Spec:

Microsoft Designed for Windows XP and Windows 2000 Certified

DivX® Certified

High Speed USB 2.0 Certified

Video Capture Features

NTSC/PAL/SECAM Video Capture

NTSC Only TV Tuner

DivX Hardware Encode (Home Theater, Portable, Handheld Formats)

MPEG-4 Hardware Encode (Microsoft Compatible)

MPEG-2/DVD Hardware Encode

MPEG-1/VCD Hardware Encode

Composite Video, S-Video, Composite Audio, RF/Coaxial Inputs

High Speed USB 2.0 Interface

Up to 720 x 480 Screen Resolution

DivX® Licensed Software Included

Watch, Pause and Record Live TV

Time Shifting (MPEG-1, MPEG-2 Only)

Free Integrated Electronic Programming Guide (EPG)

Timeline and Storyboard Layouts

Integrated DVD Authoring and Burning

Direct-to-Disc

Edit-on-Disc

I've been looking at video capture for a while, I've read a lot of reviews and customer comments most of which lead me back to this item. This is what I've personally ordered and am waiting to receive.

An example of a hard achievement in my eyes would be NHL 2k6 Penalty Shot; this has been a pain the butt of many gamers. Upon finding a theory that worked I promptly told Shady and Wandering Proof about it so they could also get it, but it would be ideal for an instructional video of how it can be done.

I've been looking at video capture for a while, I've read a lot of reviews and customer comments most of which lead me back to this item. This is what I've personally ordered and am waiting to receive.

An example of a hard achievement in my eyes would be NHL 2k6 Penalty Shot; this has been a pain the butt of many gamers. Upon finding a theory that worked I promptly told Shady and Wandering Proof about it so they could also get it, but it would be ideal for an instructional video of how it can be done.

I think it was a pain in the butt for people who don't know much about hockey which is understandable. I thought the achievement was soooooo easy. Took like 2 minutes to get it. Regardless, I think video achievement guides = awesome.

The idea has been brought up so many times and at one point, I thought we were going to have a ton of them. I think someone was going to do Splinter Cell levels but they never did them. Same with Hitman Blood Money.

There was a Dig Dug one. I don't think anyone on this site did it, but that's a perfect example of one to do.

You have to make sure that when you capture yourself doing this (through a capture card I hope) that the quality is good. Some people do it through their webcam and it just looks horrible. Using a video capture card will get the job done. I want to eventually invest in one myself.

But hey if you can do it for challenging achievements then why not. Also, Clipse isn't there something really good for maybe a little cheaper? ;) 179 bucks is pretty pricey. I should do some research myself. Someone bought a 30 dollar card and did an awesome video. I'll have to look it up. I think there was a thread about this that Webb made or something in the Tech Centre.

Also, Clipse isn't there something really good for maybe a little cheaper? ;) 179 bucks is pretty pricey. I should do some research myself. Someone bought a 30 dollar card and did an awesome video. I'll have to look it up. I think there was a thread about this that Webb made or something in the Tech Centre.

I'll look into a few more, sorry I tend to go over board and personally go for the best of computer stuff. As for the NHL 2k6 Penalty Shot it is very easy to get, but its just a matter of developing the strategy to get it and I think thats what many people have problems with. Off the top of my head I could picture a video showing how the sliders should be set before the game, then the actual motion of how it can be achieved.

I would make some guides, but Vista isn't compatible with my capture card, so I'm going to probably have to dual boot =/

I've read where man capture card manufaturers were working on drivers for Vista, have you checked on the makers website to see if there are updated drivers or any news on whether they will produce them or not?

I've read where man capture card manufaturers were working on drivers for Vista, have you checked on the makers website to see if there are updated drivers or any news on whether they will produce them or not?

Yeah, It says ATI and Microsoft are/is working together to..blah blah but it says Vista supports it, but theres not drivers for it, but I'mma go and try to install XP drivers and see what happens..lolz

I've been looking at getting a capture card for like 4 months now, but will only get a HD one and not found one yet that I'm completely happy with.

But when I do, I can assure you that I will personally churn a few of these out when I get the chance :)

How come you want an HD card over an SD card so badly? I was using the search button (everyone write this down: search button = good. Also buy pepsi... mmm mmm refreshing) and I saw that you turned down some of them because you wanted an HD one for your lap top?

Why HD? Because it can capture better resolutions. If I'm going to get one, I'm going to town with it. Thats how I work, you've seen my laptop right? :p No half measures for me personally :Angel

If you do some video achievements maybe you could format in them in two resolutions? That would help with users who might have slower connection speeds, download times, and might reduce complaining about how long things take to load.