Normal to Professional? Can't carry over weapons? Why?

Sizzy

So I beat normal and wanted to go to professional, seeing a new game plus option, like the games after it, I was relieved that this second REQUIRED playthrough for an achievement wouldn't take 15 hours since I would be able to use my previous weapons.

Boy was I wrong. I have to play another 15 hour playthrough with harder enemies AND start from scratch? Why? What's fun about that? Who doesn't like starting a game with all of the EARNED gear? Now this is just stupid and depressing.

It's not like the game wasn't easy enough. I mean, rocket launchers kill almost every boss in 1 shot. So why did they decide to make this choice? At least 5 and 6 aren't like this I guess.

So all in all, this game has a shitty achievement list, and it takes 30 hours to complete, and requires you to play the EXACT same game twice, meaning no cool gear carried over to make it more fun. Neato. I hate when they make HD versions of old games and just leave all the bad game design choices from the past. Not that I know anything they actually CAN do when putting out a game from older consoles, but they were able to add a very poor auto save system to san andreas.

My favorite part of re5 was being challenged by starting on vet mode and literally living from ammo to ammo, giving my partner only a pistol to shoot with, and then having infinite magnum and a magnum for me and her on the hardest difficulty.

I feel like on RE4, normal difficulty is a hard difficulty, because the game only becomes tolerable when you get the second set of weapons AND upgrade their damage. Otherwise everything kills you in a few shots while you have to hit them with 40.

I really didn't need to do the same thing I already did except a little harder. I mean, I ended normal with 900k in money, with max damage on 3 weapons. I literally went everywhere and explored all there was to explore. Do they not expect people to do this, or do they expect people to want to do it twice identically?

Currently on 3-1 pro and I feel like it's the exact same playthrough, if that's an indication to enemy hp and low weapon damage for 60% of the game.

Fucking.. achievements.

I finished this game 1000/1000. Many parts on professional were not fun and could have been though. I would have settled with just the option to buy the Chicago typewriter on professional. But you have to beat it just to be able to buy it I guess.

Edited by Sizzy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would have love pro to be with all your gear and all, but it wouldn't had be a logic choice... The pro mode is "hard mode" therefore it must be hard...

Sure RE5 and 6 where a bit different but they played coop and so on...

Personally i don't think ill do pro... im already struggling a bit in normal in some parts and quite frankly... this game somewhat don't appeal to me that much these days. Im a big RE fan so i had to get it(it was on deal when i got it too), but not only was it always my least favorite RE in term of story, i think the gameplay kinda look very clunky today... I tried to find a way to change the sensibility of the controller and was not able... damn this gun move SLOOOOOW when i try to aim at an ennemy close to me...

Ill go trough it once, but i think thats about it... I dunno... the atmosphere is pretty cool tough, castle and all, but like i said storywise its the worst resident evil of the bunch (not much links with the rest of the saga) and unlike RE6 that added a bunch of option, here the controls feel very slow.

Its a game from 2004 so i don't blame that on it...

Different taste for different people ;)

When it comes to the story it ain't bad, i think it would actually be decent if it was not a resident evil game, but swap Leon for random dude number 4 and you pratically kill any link to the name "Resident Evil" at least at the time . This game kinda feel like if you take Marcus Phoenix from Gears of War, put him in a beat em all game where he kills demons and call it Gears of War 4... that would be akward.

Even after 10 years i still have this bas taste in my mouth cause RE4 started the decline of the RE franchise, the plagas and stuff became the regular ennemies and the story got ape shit... Maybe i have a soft spot for RE5 because of the rivalry between Chris and Wesker, and that Wesker was totally kick ass in the game, but still today i wish we would had a conclusion after Code Veronica to the Umbrella saga, a decent one.

I mean, maybe its fables and lies but i heard back then the first pitch of RE4 before the Leon/Hookman trailer was release was a game where all heroes would team up to attack the main Umbrella HQ, it would had a Hunk Scenario too, and basically that would had been the true fall of Umbrella... not this stock market crash bullshit they served us at the beginning of RE4. When you think about it there was so much possibility after Code Veronica, with Wesker and the other organization he worked for, and so on. Also Wesker brough back Steve's body with him so there was good possibilities there.

Lol more i go more i realize maybe its just because im too much a fan of the old game storyline and such. I feel it never really was concluded and they served us a scenario with no ties to the franchise in the fourth game, even tough later they sadly used the plagas for uroboros and such...and it became the series new storyline, leading to some hyper crap like Transformer Derek guy from RE6, hell i even forgot his last name, thats how that baddie was unapealing to me...

-------------------------------------------

In the end i must admit tough that at the time RE4 still had a solid gameplay, and the game was fun, i had fun doing it. Today tough, like i said i feel its very slow, aiming is unprecise and well maybe i should try the WII version lol, saw my friend play it, it seem much faster and more "free" in term of gameplay.

I hate when they make HD versions of old games and just leave all the bad game design choices from the past.

This was not a bad design choice, it was a good, intentional choice. It all comes down to game balance.

The only reason weapons carried over in Resident Evil 5 was because of multiplayer; you could join another players game and be anywhere in the game, so they couldn't have default inventories while allowing vareity and customization (RE6 screwed this up hard). If there was a practical way to introduce mission linearity while keeping multiplayer viable, then inventories wouldn't have carried over.

Giving infinite ammo to every gun was an unrelated but blasphemous design choice, because instead of it being a fun bonus, they actually tried to "balance" Professional mode around this by making nearly attack a one-hit kill and the bleed out time instant. For all intents and purposes Professional mode was a no-damage mode, because most damage meant restarting the checkpoint. There's no skill involved in that, this type of mode doesn't reward good playing.

Don't even get me started on 6, that inventory system (and by association the skill point system) was a disaster and disgrace to the series, how dare you imply they "got it right" in that game!

Resident Evil 4 did Professional right; by stripping you back to default they could adequately rebalance item drops, enemy attacks, and so on that it was challenging but fair, with no bull@#$%. You say it feels the same but that's because you've already been through it, your experience counteracts the added difficulty as expected. The point of higher difficulties is that you now know the game and can play accordingly, not so you can waltz through with stronger gear; that's not "hard" at all, even with RE5's terrible design it was still a cakewalk due to OP weapons.

You ended your first playthrough with 900k moneys, by the time you reach the first merchant you'd have enough for the Chicago typewriter. That's an infinite ammo machine gun with insane damage, so the game would have ZERO difficulty; you would never have to look for or conserve ammo, never have to buy weapon upgrades again, never have to be careful of getting cornered. Now that you have 1000k go back and run your NG+ file and see how ridiculous easy it is.

Making hard difficulty easier than normal difficulty is a bad game design, not the other way around. It's a damn shame that you can use Armored Ashley on Professional, that alone takes out a lot of the bite Professional mode has.

Edited by Veedrock

• 3 weeks later...
It's a damn shame that you can use Armored Ashley on Professional, that alone takes out a lot of the bite Professional mode has.

Agreed with everything until that sentence... seriously fuck Ashley... she is just so annoying and its already hard enough to care about you than having to deal with her and when she takes damage. And you can give all the yellow herbs to Leon too...

That armored ashley costume is a saint in this game lol, and its the only reason i may even attempt PRO at all... Im pretty bad at RE4... dunno why, i did all achievements in 5 and 6, but 4 is kinda half/half in term of being an action game but with clunky gameplay... i getting a lot of damage and always getting hit by projectiles and shit, i feel my feets are glued...lol. But well i still agree giving you the chicago typewriter in pro mode would be stupid...

• 4 months later...

You ended your first playthrough with 900k moneys, by the time you reach the first merchant you'd have enough for the Chicago typewriter. That's an infinite ammo machine gun with insane damage, so the game would have ZERO difficulty; you would never have to look for or conserve ammo, never have to buy weapon upgrades again, never have to be careful of getting cornered. Now that you have 1000k go back and run your NG+ file and see how ridiculous easy it is.

I beat hard mode in a day with little to no difficulty anyway. Just tedium to me. I used the rocket launchers and killed every boss in a single hit. Exploring the same area with nothing different more than once isn't fun to ME. If you ration rocket launchers, you will definitely have enough money to buy them all and enough to 1 shot every boss. So why did they decide to keep those buy remove the new game plus being able to pick difficulty?

I liked 6. I liked 5. They were both more fun than this to me. I don't remember any problems with inventory on 6 although I didn't prefer it. You hate minor things, I hate things that make me play the exact same game I just did. I played through 5 on the first go on the second hardest difficulty. I liked being able to go into the next game with a infinite ammo magnum.

I enjoy beating the game and then being able to play through the game again as a god. I find that fun. Difficulties rarely matter in games. The only games I have been unable to complete on a higher difficulty have been gear games. All other shooters, rpgs, and everything have been fine. That's just my opinion, replaying the same exact game really adds nothing for me.

Very late reply, I know.

• 8 months later...