Serious mode tips

I was thinking we would eventually need a thread on this that gives out tips and strategies for beating serious. I myself have just beaten Dunes as of now, and it took forever. If you have any level tips or tricks or locations, post here.

Stating the somewhat obvious guidelines of Serious:

1. Save. After. Every. Battle. NO, every battle.

2. If it can be done better, restart. This is key because you don't wanna save with 5 health going into a room full of enemies

3. use infinite ammo. It is part of the game and doesn't disable achievos.

4. Avoid secrets that spawn more enemies. That +100 heart that spawns 5 red mechs isn't worth it.

5. You are certainly going to need the Minigun as soon as possible, and this can be obtained in the first room on Oasis.

And i will start with a quick guide to Dunes. the first part isn't a problem. Once you get over the hill is when it gets impossible. Just every time you spawn a new wave, head back to the start (over the hill) and the enemies will file into that small area so you aren't surrounded. This is only tough for the second to last wave when 9 red mechs spawn surrounding you. You will need to take out the bulls (main priority) and head back to spawn at the same time on this wave. Yes, this will take 100 tries but as i see it, it is the only way to kill them off. the highlander (big big dude) shouldn't be a problem, you just need to strafe left and right and plow him with rockets. Once inside the last area, grab the items and quickly run to the left. You need to get up on top of that platform that contains a +50 health and some electricity. here you can fight them off little by little where once again you will not have to watch your back. I only used the minigun the entire level, but rockets are very good for the red mech wave. Don't grab any secrets (the health, oasis, and hidden item ones) because they spawn another ton of unnecessary enemies.

Hope it helps, if anyone can add to this it would be great, especially for Great Pyramid, I don't know how i am going to do that one!

Edited by Puppys

To make the first part of the great pyramid 10 times easier, as soon as you walk into the arena, turn left or right and walk to the corner. Hop onto the metal thing with the flame in it and rocket jump onto the lowest wall. You'll be able to pick them off from there. You have to activate the enemies before you do this though so walk into the middle by the ammo pack (which respawns infinitly) the run back when the music changes and do the rocket jump. Also when the bull enemies come, i suggest you leave 1 alive so you can jump down and get more ammo. You'll need it by then.

And does the infinite ammo cheat really allow achievements? If it does I just played this game the really hard way.

Edited by Would You Kindly

I will confirm it when i beat the great pyramid...right now i'm stuck on a level before that so it has been frustrating, but I do know that "Serious Beginner" "Game Master" and "It's a Secret!" all unlocked while I had infinite ammo on.

EDIT: just got it, Infinite ammo DOES NOT disable any achievements.

Edited by Puppys

To make the first part of the great pyramid 10 times easier, as soon as you walk into the arena, turn left or right and walk to the corner. Hop onto the metal thing with the flame in it and rocket jump onto the lowest wall. You'll be able to pick them off from there. You have to activate the enemies before you do this though so walk into the middle by the ammo pack (which respawns infinitly) the run back when the music changes and do the rocket jump. Also when the bull enemies come, i suggest you leave 1 alive so you can jump down and get more ammo. You'll need it by then.

And does the infinite ammo cheat really allow achievements? If it does I just played this game the really hard way.

Thanks for the Great Pyramid tip, I got on top and ran along the wall until they couldn't see me at all and I never died...Any tips for the final part? as in is there a certain amount you have to hurt him before the door opens?

Heh, I didn't know you could turn on infinite ammo.

I notice that if you turn it on, your multiplier gets decreased. Screw that.

Yes, but we are going for an achievement, so if -8x means the game is less frustrating, I am sure most people would settle for that in a heartbeat.

Oh well. Ammo was never really an issue aside from the beginning of Approaching Thebes, where they leave you with nothing but shotgun sells.

The good news is if you have infinite ammo on, and you get the cannon in Metropolis (secret) you will start Thebes WITH the cannon, which makes it 100x easier.

I just finished this and I can also confirm infinite ammo does not disable it and you do not have to do secret levels either.

These are great tips, I ended up doing the same. Something else you could add is to skip areas with rocket jumps and get up on walls on arena battles to make them easier. I skipped almost all of Metropolis (stopped for cannon), and Karnak.

On The Great Pyramid, rocket jump up onto the wall to the left of you when you enter the big area and fight them all off from there. Use the cannon all the way through to the Pyramid base. Go to the top to get the fight with the boss to start, then drop down off the platform to the left or right and get where you can only see the boss' head. Here he can't hit you with his attacks and you can just shoot him until he regenerates and then you can go inside to finish him off. I assume everyone knows how to beat him, the finale is self-explanatory how to not die.

On The Great Pyramid, rocket jump up onto the wall to the left of you when you enter the big area and fight them all off from there. Use the cannon all the way through to the Pyramid base. Go to the top to get the fight with the boss to start, then drop down off the platform to the left or right and get where you can only see the boss' head. Here he can't hit you with his attacks and you can just shoot him until he regenerates and then you can go inside to finish him off. I assume everyone knows how to beat him, the finale is self-explanatory how to not die.

I assume you are talking about the part where you can get on top, back up (toward where you started) but still be on the wall out of sight? that is what I did. I am not sure what you mean with the last boss, I just found it helpful to make a HUGE circle...Because the door doesn't open until you kill everything. It is much easier to kill him from scratch once inside, because you don't have to dodge enemies while you are shooting him. A small tip for his laser cannon (the weapon the blue mechs use): if you jump up and down, back and forth, you can dodge all the bullets. Don't really have a strategy for the laser beam tho, pain in the ass!!! lol

I will update the original post a little later, I will include easier ways to beat Karnak and Metropolis obviously, as for Thebes, let me know if anyone has any strategies, this one was the hardest level. It is kinda hard to skip the level with the massive amount of enemies.

4. Avoid secrets that spawn more enemies. That +100 heart that spawns 5 red mechs isn't worth it.
Sometimes it is if you can handle what spawns. 90% of the time this isn't the case but sometimes the health and ammo is well worth it. Also exactly where is the minigun in oasis? That would have REALLY helped against the gajillion frog boss. Also I didn't find Dunes too hard with the red mechs. I just ran away from the level as much as I could and took everything out at a distance. The mechs are useless at really long range.

The minigun on Oasis is once you go inside, go to the left side and pick up the health caplet on the floor and you should get a "Sound attack secret" and a secret bouncer will appear below the statue in front of you. Jump up into the statue (helps for it to be destroyed) and it will send you flying into a secret compartment in the wall behind you with the minigun inside.

Ok so I'm up to Thebes - Luxor and I'm at the final room before the end. Does anyone have any strategies for this because as soon as I pick up the first gold ankh there is just too much handle.

yep quite possibly the hardest part to survive...The only thing i did was take everything out slowly but surly... hide behind the pillar on either left or right (don't hide behind middle one because kleers can attack from both sides) and listed for kleers... When there arent any of those in your face, you can slowly take out the scorpions and green ppl... near the end with the red mechs, they are almost useless if you strafe between pillars, but take out the blue ones first because they can hit you easy. It isn't the best idea to make a run for it, you will get torn to pieces...So i made sure i killed everything after collecting each piece, which took forever, but it worked.

yep quite possibly the hardest part to survive...The only thing i did was take everything out slowly but surly... hide behind the pillar on either left or right (don't hide behind middle one because kleers can attack from both sides) and listed for kleers... When there arent any of those in your face, you can slowly take out the scorpions and green ppl... near the end with the red mechs, they are almost useless if you strafe between pillars, but take out the blue ones first because they can hit you easy. It isn't the best idea to make a run for it, you will get torn to pieces...So i made sure i killed everything after collecting each piece, which took forever, but it worked.

Yes! Finally did it. Unfortuntely now I'm on The Great Pyramid. I managed to beat the first part, but getting to the Pyramid is unbearably hard. It's just the red mechs, there's so many of them :eek: I use the Cannon for the Bulls, and leave Ugh Zan alone, to avoid getting hurt by an enemy I didn't see. I don't think this part is too hard for me, looks like it's more of a practice area.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Slowly but surely I've been making my way through this. Doing about 2 levels per night and last night I just started the Sewers. Haven't had much trouble, but the Dunes were a real PITA, made easier by your suggestions in the beginning, Puppies, thanks!

Suburbs were a cake walk compared to that. I'm not expecting too much trouble with the Sewers, but I'm getting worried about the latter 1/3 of the game. I really don't want to hit a wall of impassibility after getting this far.

I haven't yet decided if I'm going to RJ out of the beginning of Metropolis or play through legit. I desperately need the cannon and I'm not sure if it's worth skipping the first 2 or 3 sections as opposed to just playing them cafefully.