Just finished the game---my thoughts (spoilers)

JimCant

So I just finished up the story mode of LA Noire. Overall I enjoyed it however the last 25% of the game really disappointed me.

This next part of the thread is full of spoilers so if you have not finished this game please do not read....

I thought that pretty much from the point that Cole cheats on his wife during the Vice city cases, everything goes downhill. I thought that they just threw that in there just for a twist (I mean they made the small indications that he liked the girl by him watching her sing, but i mean thinking someone is cute and watching her at the bar is way different than just openly cheating...he didnt even try and hide it from his partner). The homicide cases really felt like the best part of the game to me...very well devoloped and the cases all fit together.

Vice was really short and then you get demoted and then all of a sudden you are playing as some lame character whom has no police car and once again I feel like they just threw a new character right in at the end just to try and have a big finish.

I dunno if i am just ranting but I mean from the way the game started I had higher expectations for the end.

Overall I would say it was at least a unique game---the facial technology was simply amazing. I enjoyed the music and the detective work though it felt extremely repetitive.

I felt like they really crammed a lot in towards the end when the beginning and middle of the game was so smooth and not rushed. Anyone else feel the same way in regards to this game?

• 2 weeks later...

The wife being a communist twist that you mentioned would have been interesting...however I dont think that would have been possible with his military background though. If they made him out to be a little of a seedier and sketchier character earlier on then maybe I think it could have worked.

Yea the game did start out nice and slow just like a detective game should be but then it did become too much GTA style game.

On a side note, I was terrible at driving. I hit everything! And i mean everything!!---I would have to restart so many chase scenes because I would clip a curb and then get stuck and not be able to reverse or get going fast enough before the bad guy got away.

I was just terrible at driving...once I got the achievement for driving like 194 miles...I then made my partner drive everywhere else---didnt help on the chase scenes but everything else it made better

So, I first played the game some months after release after borrowing from friend and only finished patrol and 1 traffic case, it was very boring for me, but about 1-2 weeks ago I bought the complete edition and I enjoyed it pretty much, there are only few things I hate about this game - Ending = absolutely, ehh.. Case are the same: Homicide and AD Vice is what I talk about, but AD Vice was pretty much the best desk, only bad thing about Vice was that R.Earle piece of sh*t.

The most boring part was probably the last one - Arson. I just didn´t like it at all.

The most boring part was probably the last one - Arson. I just didn´t like it at all.

They should have stuck Arson in earlier in the game. Maybe after like Traffic or maybe right after Homicide. It was a pretty big let down and not long enough....Vice Squad was pretty sweet as you did said but the partner was a jerk though.

They should have stuck Arson in earlier in the game. Maybe after like Traffic or maybe right after Homicide. It was a pretty big let down and not long enough....Vice Squad was pretty sweet as you did said but the partner was a jerk though.

I think Stefowsky or how he was called, at the Traffic was pretty much the best partner, normal and kinda sympathic, then there was the Homicide and Arson partners - they were kinda the same for me, but Arson partner was a little bit better, but still the Homicide guy (I dont remember their names!!!!) was pretty awful, still trying to keep things simple and at Homicide cases he was keep saying that the cases have nothing in common and that stuff - what an idiot, seriously.

And at last Roy - worst one! Corrupt cop, and a traitor of Cole - bleh, I want to puke on him.

When we are at the characters - Cole vs. Jack? Jack, definitely Jack! Cole definitely isn´t a very good protagonist, his behavior - in war and that stuff, ....... nothing more to say.

• 2 weeks later...
When we are at the characters - Cole vs. Jack? Jack, definitely Jack! Cole definitely isn´t a very good protagonist, his behavior - in war and that stuff, ....... nothing more to say.

Agree. Cole starts out as a decent guy, but through the story he gets weaker and more pathetic. In gaming, it is usually the other way round (protagonist starts weak and gets stronger/better).

Nice to see Rockstar trying to mix it up, but it just doesn't seem to quite work - perhaps we needed Jack to be more visible in the earlier cases.

Agree. Cole starts out as a decent guy, but through the story he gets weaker and more pathetic. In gaming, it is usually the other way round (protagonist starts weak and gets stronger/better).

Nice to see Rockstar trying to mix it up, but it just doesn't seem to quite work - perhaps we needed Jack to be more visible in the earlier cases.

That is exactly it. I think it could have worked out if they had made Jack more visible (other than the newspaper clips) and maybe they could have done the switcheroo where in the earlier cases you see Jack as terrible and a bad character and then by the end you are loving Jack (which you still do).

I really hate Cole the more that I think about it. I still don't think it makes sense that he cheats on his wife..