MGC.net bids farewell

Pootcrum

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't get into the gamercard stuff that much, but I did use MGC in general for completion % info and other things. A very bad message is sent when someone who plays by the rules has to shut down their website in a case like this. With the amount of traffic the website was receiving, you would think funding wouldn't have been a problem with the amount of $$$ coming in from advertising.

I will definitely miss MGC and the services they provided. Maybe a phoenix will rise from the ashes :confused:

He followed the rules. MS said he was not allowed to charge for gamercards, nor put advertising on them. So most of those requests were purely gamercard pulls from forums, and generated no revenue. He only got revenue when someone visited the site to set up a gamercard, or the very infrequent forum posts.

Good to see you around. I didnt even realize he couldn't advertise based on Microsofts rules. I thought it was wierd why he couldnt sustain the costs of the site with 13 million hits. I figured he had to have a good reason, and it seems like he did. I think everybody just assumes that because a website is busy, it automatically makes it a cash cow. I think Webb and Minty should stop driving around in their Ferrari's or people might they this site is a cash cow;)

i think the problem is, that there are 3rd party sites neccessary, as there is nothing given by microsoft itself.

they gave us achievements and now all they care about is avatar stuff and making the xbox more atractive to familys. i mean, there is not even a GS leaderboard of your friends available. and there are thousands of other little things that are just annoying and MS is so not listening to the customers. eg. i hate it, that i cant turn off the messages that appear when a friend has gone online WITHOUT turnin off the message that appears when an achivement unlocks. its silly in the first place that both have the same sound an image. another thing is, the new dashboard and forcing players to use a stupid avatar. why am i not allowed to choose which board i want to use?

well... its because MS thinks we are all little girls that cant think straight by themselfes. and it seems to me, they must think "detailed statistics of gamerscore? something you spend hours and hours with? and money and money? gosh... no one would like to have THAT"

Edited by play-asia.com

Well if you had bothered to read it you would know why he's shutting down. Sorry if he didn't included a TLDR; for your lazy ass.

Really sad to hear. I don't feel like using anyone else's cards so I'll just keep the memoriam in my sig for a while.

I didn't read it either.. Doesn't mean im lazy.. Just means i hate reading. Always have. Bores me.

But its still sucks.. Ive used MGC since i got a 360 back in 08.. Now i gotta find something else for my sig.

I think MS should make an official card!

MS should really do something about ppl taking stuff from the server for xbox related info. Its very funny seeing the Jtag users downloading All their game box art and info and Title updates directly from MS servers without actually connecting to live.

I didn't read it either.. Doesn't mean im lazy.. Just means i hate reading. Always have. Bores me.

Yet here you are posting in a forum where you have to have read other people's posts to understand what's going on?

Makes sense. ;)

Shame about MGC. I didn't use it much, but was always handy to check out people's gamercards if needed.

MS support towards xbox communities has become terrible the last few years.

- No fundings towards big community sites, except their own. (Such as MajorNelson (biggest moron ever, but ok) and those 2 queers you see on the dashboard every day).

- Closed xbox live API (access to gamertag data such as last played games, gamerscore, etc..)

Thumbs up for being the best site in gamertag tracking over the last 6 years, it was really usefull to me while it lasted. Definitely gonna miss MGC.