Solo Insane 3 Stars Declassified Walkthrough

Tyger7

There's some really good videos of people completing the Karn boss section on YouTube - have a watch of them. I am a couple of sections behind there though, so I haven't even attempted it on Insane yet, although I did do it on Hardcore.

An earlier poster on this thread put this video up:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone is having trouble on Section 6, Mission 6 (Courthouse - Great Staircase)...

I have a really good way to save time at the beginning of the mission.

When you start section you will have only a sawed-off shotgun.

Run right. Pick up Boomshot. Run to other right hand corner, swap SOS for a Retro Lancer. Pick Up Frags. Pick up Ammo Crate to get your RL ammo to full (240). Make sure you have Boomshot as your firing weapon and RL as your secondary. Pick up Tripwire Crossbow by the sandbags.

Edge toward the Declassified Omen, staying as close to the sandbags as you can and select it/activate it.

Immediately turn and jump the sandbag barrrier, then press Y to drop the Tripwire Crossbow and fire your Boomshot at the E-hole, killing all the emerging locust at the same time.

If you don't kill all of them, reload. Also a team mate might run in front of your face as you fire, so you suicide, but retry it.

I've got to that point at 5:51 on the timer a few times, i.e. 9 seconds gone and the first bit finished.

Now grab your Tripwire bow again and without going through the gap in the sandbags that makes Loomis appear and kill a boomer in one Boltok shot, which we all know to be impossible, fire some tripwire bolts down where the next enemies are going to appear (sandbags straight opposite, then on the floor in a line leading back to your position.

Then spawn the showboating Loomis with the cut-scene, and run back behind the round stone fountain and take cover behind the sandbag wall that is on the left as you look towards the enemies (on the right after you've turned back from Loomis).

You should have 3 boomshot rounds left, plus your tripwire bolts on the ground, so getting rid of these enemies is very fast. You also have your retro lancer for the ragers and drones etc.

This is the fastest way to get through the first two sets of enemies that I can think of.

Another thing about mission 6-6 that is very important...

Think about which weapons you want to take into the Karn fight immediately afterwards.

In 6-6 you can pick up almost any weapon in the game, and I think this is deliberate on the part of Epic.

For example you can pick up the Boomshot at the start and then not use it, also Boomers spawn sometimes in this section.

There are Therons with Torque Bows, so if you are good with the bow you can take one of those with you (especially considering there is a Boomshot in the final level on the floor, so you can effectively have both). Likewise you can chhose between a retro lancer and a chainsaw lancer, and a gnasher or a sawed off, or you could boomshot an "un-enraged" rager to take a Markza, or you can stockpile grenades etc.

You can even get a Scorcher from this section if your gamer tag is Chuck Norris :)

So you can pick your favourite weapon from this section, and then don't use it in this section so that you have it fully stocked up going into the Karn boss fight.

For people really struggling with Karn, it might be worth playing from the start of 6-6 (since it's not that hard) and then try starting the final section with different weapons.

Just an idea.

Edited by robrock3

• 3 weeks later...
I don't understand, do I need to get stars by completing the mission or chapter in insane difficulty or by completing the de-classified missions on insane difficulty and get 3 stars or both?

Getting all stars on insane is difficult without declassified so they go hand in hand specially since another achievement for doing declass on insane.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK guys, with Karn there is a really good video here that's helped me a lot

I still haven't completed it but I am getting much further now than before and feel like it's gonna happen soon !!

I also think I've found something out. If you don't shoot him at all in the first phase then I think that a Mauler will not appear with the first wave of enemies that ground burst.

This includes shooting his grenade launcher. Basically just do not fire your weapon until after he has been up on the building and come back down for phase two. So the first thing you are shooting at is the ground bursting locust - the Therons etc.

This has worked for me almost every time, I have no idea why. But it is really good because that Mauler is a pain the a$$!

Just try it, it might work for you too.

Also: MARKZA!!! I do it with Markza and Boomshot, also carrying the longshot with me over to the markza and swapping it out when I get there, that way you have a longshot next to you if you need it for one or two fast headshots on the Ragers.

Edited by robrock3

To continue...

PHASE ONE & THE MISSING MAULER TRICK

- Don't shoot Karn at all, focus on cover and your weapon stock.

- Once he's shooting his machine guns at the beginning, I pick up grenades like he does in the video above.

- I also get the Boomshot + Longshot. Then run through the middle to the Markza, like he does in the video.

- I then pick up the Markza for the Longshot, and wait in cover, dodging the incendiary grenades as and when, but NOT shooting.

You team will destroy the grenade launcher on their own, then he goes to the roof and you join the action with your Markza, 4 Grenades, Boomshot (save it for the Ragers) and a Longshot by your feet (Ragers again).

When the locust pop out of the floor (and you've not even fired a bullet yet) there should be no Mauler among them, which makes things a lot easier. This is the case for me 90% of the time.

Even if the Mauler does appear then you haven't wasted a load of ammo and crates by shooting Karn when you're team could have done it for you.

ENRAGED RAGERS

If you're unlucky and the Ragers do enrage and come after you (they always pick you), then try to grenade tag them from a distance, then spot them, and run like hell, all around the arena if you have to, you gotta run like Forrest Gump and then some more.

SPOTTING

- You should spot the enraged Ragers as you turn to run so your team will shoot them while you are fleeing. Don't spot the normal state Ragers cos your team will tickle them with lancer fire until they transform and bludgeon you to death (thanks team).

- In general, on insane the spotting is really useful, your team will drop everything to come help you out. It's great for the end of chapter horde-style missions, and the low visibility sections too. It's good anywhere really, the AI bots really do react to it.

- Spotting on the final boss means you can coordinate your team's fire to an extent, and get them to kill the locust in the order you like.

- You can either use spotting to help kill one enemy quicker or, better yet, you can spot one and kill another. They should both die at about the same time (doubling up your attacks basically).

- Don't go nuts with it, because you need to concentrate on your own position being secure and your own plan for the arena.

- But if you have 2 or 3 near you, then spot one for your team to shoot and kill the other one yourself.

THE ONYX AMMO CRATE

- Make sure your Boomshot or whatever you're using is empty before you refill or you're wasting rounds

- Also remember that it will give you one grenade, so if you have 4 then throw one at somebody before you get the crate, because why the hell not.

---

GENERAL TIPS

1. Never lose sight of the boss.

- Know where he is and what he's doing at all times.

- Not just when he is charging you but all the time.

- Two reasons for this... (i) your own safety (ii) damaging him as much as possible will end the game sooner.

---

2. Always put your own safety first.

Some examples...

a) Revivals:

- If your whole team is DBNO, don't just rush in to revive unless you are absolutely certain it's safe.

- Scope it out. You probably need to get the hell out of there because whatever killed them is right behind the next stone block.

- The locust will turn towards you and the team will crawl to you, wait till one of them is relatively safe to get to.

b) Proximity Danger:

- If you're nailing a faraway Grinder in the head, and just one or two more shots will do it, but there's a drone heading your way, you should forget the Grinder and focus on what's near to you. The Grinder isn't going anywhere.

- All of the enemies can kill you easily in this, do not let anyone get close.

- Keep the zone you are holed up in clear of locust.

c) No shame in running:

- Sometimes the area you are in will just get too hard to hold on to. Forget it. Run away.

- You can move faster around the edge than the locust can follow you through the middle.

- The Markza is made for distance kills so keep putting some distance between you and the enemies.

- It's a big arena so there is always a safe part to run to (usually directly opposite).

- Your team won't follow and this will mean they draw the enemy fire while you escape.

---

3. Never, ever, ever stop moving:

- Torque bows are deadly!!

- If you're in cover, only lean out for a second to look/fire, it's better to back away from the block until you get line of sight on an enemy you can kill, then move back toward it for safety.

- Leaning out from cover for 5+ seconds will see a Torque bow bolt planted squarely between your eyes.

- I never actually press myself against the blocks at all, it makes you too static and you can get chainsawed, gnashered or torque bowed.

- To use the blocks as cover I just stand close enough behind them to close off any sight lines. If you can't see them they can't see you.

- Crucially, this means you can sprint out of there at a moment's notice, I have been caught by not being able to get off the block quick enough if someone comes around the side of it.

- If you're shooting the boss, walk backwards/sideways at the same time. Never stand still unless your taking cover behind a block.

- If you're running in a straight line for too long, a Torque bow will kill you.

- Change up your map position. You can move faster than them and it seems to confuse them for a while. Running to a new position will buy you some time to look around once you're there. Check what the boss is doing then count up the enemies and assess their threat level, get the order fixed in your head and start killing them again in that order.

---

4. Hit the boss as much as you (safely) can:

- Damaging the boss will end the torment sooner, and you can make sure you've got your third star once he's wounded on the floor.

- Don't even look at your stars until that final phase, the chances are you'll be on 3 or very close anyway by then. Keep shooting him while he's wounded or he'll get back up, but pick off a few locust to get your 3 stars (and spot a couple for your team). You don't wanna be replaying this because you ended with 2 stars!!

- This is an important point, but you're own survival is more important, so check you are safe before having a pop at Karn.

---

5. Look around:

Always know the answers to these questions:

- What is near you?

- What enemies are in the arena?

- Where is Karn and his Spider?

- Where are you in relation to cover/ammo/safe zones?

- Where is your team?

+ At any opportunity, have a look around.

+ If you're gonna sprint to somewhere new, sweep your view around to check you're route and you're destination are both safe.

+ Are you covered from all sides? Check behind you and to your sides, e.g. if you are gonna shoot an enemy to your left, check your right hand side first so you don't get a torque bow in your a-hole or a chainsaw in your spine while you're killing something else.

---

6. Kill Priority:

You'll be killing many different types of locust, but all of them can kill you in a second.

- Phase one - the Mauler is key (but I think you can stop him appearing). Then Therons, then Drones.

Above all, Ragers need killing first. Headshots and Boomshots - or, if enraged, it's sticky grenade, spot them, run like hell in big circles, turn, markza to the head, sticky grenade if you have one, spot, run)

Grinders are dangerous, their range is the entire arena. Be in cover and take them out fast (Markza to the head)

Therons die as easily as Drones, but their range is also the whole arena, so kill them once the big enemies are out of the way.

Drones need killing last because they are lame.

BUT - proximity outranks all of these. If there is a Grinder in the middle but a Drone is 10 feet away, always kill the Drone first.

---

7. Keep Calm

- Seems obvious but it's harder than you think.

- When (not if) you die, forget it immediately.

- Take time to check around, it feels like chaos but the locust do follow some kind of pattern.

- Take each problem as it comes, look at the situation every 20-30 seconds and reset your brain.

- Don't get too excited when you kill a big enemy with a sweet snap-aim headshot. More will be coming, keep your focus.

- Never forget the boss and what phase he is in. Karn is always doing something, and it usually involves dodging something which will kill you instantly. Don't let him surprise you, just accept that he always does something that you have to factor in to your plan (machine guns, incendiary grenades, nemacyst, charging, diggers...). Just go with it and don't let him panic you by not being prepared.

- No shame in running. If you need a breather, just run off round the edge, flex your thumbs, scratch that itch that's been bugging you, and re-engage from the other side.

- If it doesn't ruin your concentration, pause the game after you've run to a safe place to do all that stuff.

---

It's such a big arena that many different tactics can work, but I hope some of this is helpful to everyone. I know some of it is obvious and you'll be thinking "well, duh", but it helps to spell it all out I think.

Edited by robrock3

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is stuck, the co op glitch still works with one player on insane the other on casual. Let the casual player quit out during the final cut scene. Then during the star screen wait for the player to join back and both players will get the stars. Some levels are fucked but its the easiest method

If anyone is stuck, the co op glitch still works with one player on insane the other on casual. Let the casual player quit out during the final cut scene. Then during the star screen wait for the player to join back and both players will get the stars. Some levels are fucked but its the easiest method

Wow, you just summarized the guide as if people couldn't read and comprehend it for themselves. I commend you on this insightful post.

• 2 months later...

I think I can make Karn's formula pretty easy for most of you - execution however is always key :)

Starting Weapons: Lancer and Torque Bow

Step 1: Guns/Fire Grenades

-Stay in cover from the guns until the launcher appears. Shoot the launcher with full clip of Lancer. Dodge two fire grenades and go back under cover.

-Repeat 2-3x until Karn climbs the building.

Step 2-A: First Grub Wave

-Maulers, Locust Elite and Therons - stay under cover, kill as many enemies as you can while Karn is on the building. I recommend starting on the opposite side of the area from Karn.

Step 2-B:

-Even if all grubs not dead, Karn climbs down. His attack is now a charge at you, after which he stops and his leg is exposed. You need to kill grubs and deal with Karn.

-Swap out the Torque Bow for Marzka.

-Ground shakes when he charges. When it does, immediately run on the outside of the area at least 1/3 of the circle away and get under cover.

-Turn and his leg is exposed - shoot a full clip of Marzka into the leg and repeat the run around the outside. Karn will shoot diggers in your direction so you must be quick.

-repeat 3-5x until leg damaged.

Step 3: Karn Ground Attack w// Grubs

-More grubs will spawn: Grinders and pre-turn Ragers. Repeat strategy from 2-A and aim for headshots. You should have close to 3 stars by now.

-As this happens Karn will stay on the ground shooting at you like Step 1, but when he stops, the Shibboleth rears back and fires a mortar of fire spit at you. You HAVE to shoot the mouth and underside of the creature quickly, and them move to dodge the mortar.

-Repeat 3-6x until dead (it sounds long but it's because he fires the mortar quickly, it's actually pretty easy.)

Step 4: Shibboleth Falls

-The creature will fall on the ground and alternate between getting up and collapsing. Dump as much Marzka ammo as quickly as you can into it. You're almost there so it's a race against the clock before another wave sprouts or something kills you.

I know it sounds really complicated but I found this to be the 2nd easiest boss battle in the Gears franchise, the formula never changes and once you learn when to move, you'll go farther in doing this.

Accept the fact things are going to screw you, your friendly AI is terrible and you will get shot by something you cannot see. When you do, you'll settle down and make the right decisions and things will work out in the end.

If anyone wants to do this on coop I'm available.

• 1 year later...

What seems to not be mentioned by anyone here, on some missions you need to get the right set of enemies, as some sets give you less points and you'll be obligated to get plenty of executions/badges for more points. For example on the smoke granade stage (Paduk's Mission 2: Magadha Villa) it's much easier when there are Grinders (because along with Grinders you'll get Therons at the end of stage). You get almost 3 stars for doing nothing. Put there some executions, a badge and you're done. If you get Boomers in place of Grinders you'll be far from 3 stars at the end.

To change the set of enemies simply reload a checkpoint. The sets seem to rotate at random. Every time you are far from 3 stars try a different set.

Edited by gucha

• 1 month later...

(NOTE: This is more of a rant about getting three Onyx stars on some declassified missions)

I cannot for the life of me get 3 stars on the "Vaults" and the "Container Terminal" missions to save my God Damn life! I actually managed to beat Karn and get 3 stars after a day of trying (Quitting to cool down from rage) but getting 3 stars on the "Vault" and Container Terminals is God Damn near-impossible!

I sank hours trying to get 3 stars on "Vaults" but frequently die at the hands of a mauler trying to reload my jammed gun and for "Container Terminal", I either get blown up by a boomer and if I actually manage to get through (The mission in and of itself is actually not that hard), I barely get much further than the second star.

The guide says that the ideal way is to focus on clusters, headshots, and execution. Uh, excuse me but how do I get executions when I have boomers, and grinders on my god damn tail?! I've blown the fuckers up with grenades, gotten ribbons and just simply put shred them apart but now this has gone from very difficult but challenge to downright unplayable bullshit!

I've just about given up on getting "Superstar" because of these two declassified missions. I've thrown my effort at them. What's especially maddening is that I've managed to get 122 stars on Insane and there are a couple more than I have to do but am now no longer wanting to bother with them anymore because of "Vaults" and "Container Terminal". Mind you, by themselves, these two missions are either a giant pain in the ass, but doable and both of them I successfully completed their declassified missions but never could get 3 stars and now I'm really angry and just about ready to throw in the towel and just focus on the Level 50 and re-upping three times and then moving on.

THis really pisses me off to no end especially when I've actually gotten all of them finished on Insane but unable to get all three stars on some of them. Really fucking maddening and it has ruined "GOWJ" for me.

To anyone trying to go for this, DON'T! Unless the 3-star exploit is used, this is near-impossible.

I DID however get "Seriously Judgemental" though. I guess that's worth something. I guess it's worth throwing away "Superstar" for SJ.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

FINALLY, FINALLY beat the "Vaults" declassified Insane and got the 3-stars!!!

My God the aggravation and extreme butthurt I went through playing this declassified mission was enormous. I've finally gotten all 126 stars on Insane and got the "Superstar" achievement!

Of all the declassified Insane missions, the "Vaults" one is hands down the worst of them all. Even the 3-stars on the final boss battle was easier than this. That one, I was able to figure out where I was struggling and worked on it and voila, beat that level and got the 3-stars.

"Vaults" however was hands down the worst one to beat and get 3 stars. This mission is the final chapter of the first mission with Baird's testimony and declassifying it will make the entire room fill with a very thick dust making it very difficult to see anything. The enemies on this mission are very difficult to see until they come very close, like as in melee distance, to you and start either swinging their cleavers at you or the Wretches start mauling you up close. The final half of this mission sees the dust-covered room now be invaded, not by just a few, but MANY, MANY maulers, butchers, wretches, and Therons. More than one time, all three of my AI teammates were downed and I was completely on my own against an entire army of two, three, no. FOUR or even FIVE Maulers all coming for me! Normally I could maybe run away and evade them but the dust makes it impossible to see from afar and I found myself suddenly colliding with a mauler who obviously turned me into hamburger!

Even worse was the rare times I actually managed to finish this mission I didn't even get 3 stars! Especially all of that effort and it was for naught. It took me a month to recover from the aggravation and I finally decided to come back and finish it since I beat all of the other declassified missions and got all stars on them.

I don't have any good strategy but I simply tossed a couple frags into the back, killing multiple enemies and threw my retro lancer at the maulers who my AI teammates also fought them. I used a sawed-off for enemies that suddenly were in my face. I eventually fired upon the enemies who were attacking my teammates and dealt with them. Eventually I finally got my 3 stars and "Superstar" and finally could let this game Rest in Pieces for a while.

In terms of "Container Terminal", the only way I know to get three stars is to get into the Silverback but SWITCH TO THE ROCKETS and kill enemies from a great distance. This way you'll earn Hail Mary ribbons which help A LOT towards gettting three stars on that mission.

As for the final boss level, my advice is to start with the Lancer when fighting the first part of Karn and then switch to the Markza and kill as many locusts as you can. When the ragers show up though, MAKE SURE you have frag grenades, and a boomshot ready as you do not want them anywhere near you. If you're being pursued, frag them, boomshot them, whatever you do, DO NOT let Ragers anywhere near you. A single hit will kill you. A previous poster who mentions Ragers is spot on when talking about dealing with ragers. Frags and the Boomshot got me out of a lot of trouble with them.

When Karn finally went down, I literally cheered as this gave me a hard time though nowhere near as much as "Vaults" did. The "Vaults" mission to me, is hands down the hardest mission to 3-star on Insane difficulty. No other declassified gave me so much grief for so long as "Vaults" did.

To all trying to go for this, all I can say is good luck to all of you trying to go for this. Prepare for a ton of butthurt gamer grief. It took me a few weeks to get the courage to try this again but now feel much happier that I've finally completed it.

I seriously though question of the 50G "Superstar" achievement was worth the aggravation I went through trying to get it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...