Missable items, items to collect / avoid - Checklist

Thicketford

I think it would be useful if we could compile a list of items to pick up or avoid picking up during the game...

MISSABLE = Items you only have one shot at (e.g. items in the Thalmor Embassy)

TO COLLECT = Items that are used in side quests and misc. objectives (e.g. Bear Pelts, Jazbay grapes)

TO KEEP = Items that you should hold onto for future quests.

TO AVOID = Items that break quests if picked up early (e.g. Finn's Lute), areas that you can get permanantly stuck in.

DAEDRIC ARTIFACTS = Missable Daedric artifacts.

I will update the OP and give credit to everyone who contributes...

Please check here for a more extensive list of bugs and glitches

MISSABLE ITEMS / QUESTS

The Wolf Queen Awakened - This quest is activated by levelling up after completing the previous quest 'The Man Who Cried Wolf'. Make sure you complete the previous quest before reaching level 81 (current level cap).

Pilgrimage Quest - Given by Alessandra in Riften. Your restoration skill must be at least 40 when completing the quest, otherwise you will not recieve the reward.

Delayed Burial (Loreius Farm)- Complete this quest before joining the dark brotherhood, as it will be impossible to complete it afterwards.

Nahkriin Dragon Priest Mask - Dropped by Nahkriin during the main quest. You cannot go back to that location. Make sure you pick it up, or you cannot complete your Dragon Priest Mask collection

Ancient Shrouded Armor - A unique set of armor. *MINOR DB QUEST SPOILER*

[spoiler=aaa]Pick it up from the dead DB assassin in Hag's End during the Breaching Security quest.

Wedding dress, wedding shoes, wedding hat and 2 wedding rings

*Dark Brotherhood spoiler*

[spoiler=aab]The DarkBrotherhood mission to assasinate the girl at her wedding

Linwe's Armour/boots/gloves/hood *Thieves Guild spoiler*

[spoiler=aac]The Thieves Guild Quest to eliminate the other thief guild in windhelm

Unusual Gem (Thalmor embassy) - Second floor of second building. Not really missable as such. You can return to the embassy through Reeking Cave, but it's more convenient to pick it up during the quest. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlOBn1T3c4]Skyrim: How to get back in to Thalmor Embassy - YouTube[/ame]

NOTE: As of patch 1.4, the Gem in the Embassy has been moved to Reeking Cave.

ITEMS TO COLLECT

Bear Pelt x10 - Temba Wide Arms (Ivarstead)

Fire Salts x10 - Balimund (Riften)

Ice Wraith Teeth x5 - Marise (Riften)

Mammoth Tusk x2 - Madesi (Riften) / Ysolda (Whiterun)

Flawless Sapphire x2 - Madesi (Riften)

Gold ore - Madesi (Riften)

Flawless Amethysts x3 - Talen-Jei (Riften)

Troll Fat - Atub (Largashbur)

Daedra Heart x2 - Atub (Largashbur) / Moth Gro-Bagol (Markarth - Understone Keep)

Jazbay Grapes x20 - Avrusa Sarethi (Sarethi Farm) *Speaking to her with 20 Jazbay Grapes in your inventory may cause skyrim to crash. If this happens, simply drop the Jazbay Grapes on the ground, speak to her, exit conversation, pick up the Grapes, then speak with her again.

Flawless Ruby - 'The Only Cure' quest

Silver Ingot - 'The Only Cure' quest

Deathbell - 'The Only Cure' quest

Vampire Dust - 'The Only Cure' quest

Dwemer Cogs x10 - 'Arniel's Endevor' quest

Deathbell x20 - 'Ingun's Task' quest

Nightshade x20 - 'Ingun's Task' quest

Nirnroot x20 - 'Ingun's Task' quest

ITEMS TO KEEP / MISC.

Thieves Guild Armor - You need to exchange this with another character later on in the thieves guild. You cannot become guild master without it.

Wooden Mask (Labyrinthian) - Do NOT drop the Wooden Mask inside the room with the dragon priest statue, you will never be able to get it back, unless console commands are used.

ITEMS / PLACES TO AVOID

Japhet's Folly - Under no circumstances should you fast travel to Japhet's Folly by yourself and not following the 'Rise In The East' quest. Japhet's Folly is it's own "world" in the game and once you are there you cannot fast travel or leave in any way other than ending the quest with Adelaisa, who wont be there if you fast travel there on your own. Also, do not return to Japhet's Folly via Sea Cave after the bombardment has started or you will be trapped. The top area of Japhet's Folly will be blocked by rubble and the door from Sea Cave is gone, preventing you from turning back the way you came.

Morvunskar / 'A Night To Remember' - Do not go back into Morvunskar after completing this daedric quest. You could accidentally end up back in 'Misty Grove' as the portals are still active inside of Morvunskar after the Sanguine quest. There is no way to leave Misty Grove after the quest, so do not save while you are in Misty Grove.*

In My Time Of Need - It is recommended that you avoid the 'In My Time of Need' Quest and the location Swindler's Den until after you have completed the Companions quest line. Re-entering Swindler's Den after completing IMTON, may cause the game to crash.

Finn's Lute - Breaks the related quest if picked up before you accept the quest.*

Pantea's Flute - Breaks the related quest if picked up before you accept the quest.*

Rjorn's Drum - This item will stay stuck in your inventory after finishing the related quest.*

Briar Heart - Do not have one in your inventory when starting the 'Repairing The Phial' quest or it breaks the quest.*

Grimsever - A sword found in Mzinchaleft. Do not pick it up until you have accepted the quest from Mjoll the Lioness in Riften.

Invocation Of Azura - Do not pick up this book until you have activated the fetch quest at the college of Winterhold.

Crimson Nirnroot - Do not collect more than one Crimson Nirnroot during the "A Return to Your Roots" quest until you have read Sinderion's Field Journal. Any more you have on you will not be counted toward the total and if you drop them to the ground, you will get a negative collection count.

Honningbrew Meadery - Do not break into this location or it will interfere with the Thieves Guild questline.

Roggvir's Amulet of Talos - When first arriving in Solitude, do not take the executed Nord's amulet.

Fine Cut Void Salts - Do not pick this up until you have the quest from Captain Wayfinder in Dawnstar

The Old Ways - You will find this book in Movarth's lair. Do NOT pick it up until you have accepted the related quest from Urag Gro-Shrub at the College of Winterhold. Glitch seems to occur with other books that he asks you to retrieve.

* Will be fixed in Update 1.4

DAEDRIC ARTIFACTS

Mehrunes’ Razor - 'Pieces of the Past' (Dawnstar)

[spoiler=aad]You must kill Silus at the end of the quest or you cannot obtain the artifact

Ring Of Hircine - 'Ill Met By Moonlight' (Falkreath Barracks)[spoiler=aae]You must choose to kill the hunters instead of Sinding

Masque Of Clavicus Vile - 'A Daedra's Best Friend' (Falkreath)[spoiler=aaf]You must give the axe back to Clavicus Vile to obtain the masque

Skull Of Corruption - 'Waking Nightmare' (Dawnstar)[spoiler=aag]You must kill Erandur to get the skull. If you spare him, the skull is destroyed.

Ring Of Namira - 'The Taste Of Death'(Markarth)[spoiler=aah]Agree to help Eola clear Reachcliff Cave. You must kill Verulus as he lies on the table or you will not get the ring

Contributors - Kirbster117, Seraph Metatron, Jedi Zombie, Death Metal Jim, pms, EveAres, dragonpwnr99, FangtasticBite, Nitnoid, Rixiden, stooz101, Crysis Hero, TombRaiser, SpinelesS, c4msl, McGoogles, MattFool, S1D3WYZ, CaptainBlagbird, HolyNecromancer

Edited by Thicketford

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure not to have a Briar Heart in your inventory when going to do the 'Repairing The Phial' quest, otherwise it gets permanently stuck in your inventory and the quest can't be completed.

You also might want to include Rjorn's Drum as that also gets stuck in your inventory along with the Flute and Lute.

Also might want to mention to keep your Thieves Guild armor and not sell it, otherwise you lose the chance to become the Guildmaster of the Thieves Guild and the achievement tied to it.

And I dunno if visiting locations too early should be included on your list, but if so then AVOID breaking into the Honningbrew Meadery, as this will later interfere with the Thieves Guild questline where you won't be able to get the Dampened Spirits quest from Maven Black-Briar.

Do not collect more than one Crimson Nirnroot during the "A Return to Your Roots" quest until you have read Sinderion's Field Journal. Any more you have on you will not be counted toward the total and if you drop them to the ground, you will get a negative collection count.

There's also the Dragon Priest Mask which is dropped by Nahkriin in the main story line. When you go to Sovngarde, you have to grab it or you'll never be able to get the final Dragon Priest Mask.

Grimsever is also something to avoid in Mzinchaleft until after you get the quest from Mjoll the Lioness in Riften. It's been known to break the quest if it's already in your inventory.

I was unaware of the Thieves Guild armor issue. I only have one piece, any workaround for this?

Also, several of the Daedric Artifacts are missable if you don't complete certain "tasks".

Only one piece of Thieves armour is needed to be upgraded to allow you to finish the Thieves guild.

10x Dwemer Cogs are need for a side quest in the college of winterhold, Arniel's Endevor

A unique set of armor, Ancient Shrouded armor, is missable *MINOR DB QUEST SPOILER*

[spoiler=dragonpwnr99] Pick it up from the dead DB assassin in Hag's End during the Breaching Security quest.

Edited by dragonpwnr99

I think these are missable:

Wedding dress, wedding shoes, wedding hat and 2 wedding rings

[spoiler=FangtasticWedding]The DarkBrotherhood mission to assasinate the girl at her wedding

Linwe's Armour/boots/gloves/hood (looks like the grey sleeveless armour some of the thieves guild wear)

[spoiler=FangtasticThief]The Thieves Guild Quest to eliminate the other thief guild in windhelm

Not sure if you want to include this or not, but, I picked up some Fine-Cut Void Salts which were for a quest for Captain Wayfinder on the ship in Winterhold. When I finally found him, he took the salts but my quest list contained both an entry for Return Fine-Cut Void Salts and Find Fine-Cut Void salts. He took them but I cannot complete the quest. I think I picked them up when I was retrieving the White Phial.

Ingun Black-Briar in the alchemy shop in Riften asks you to get 20 Deathbell, 20 Nightshade, and 20 Nirnroot for her.

Nirnroots appear in the world alongside water sources and emit a chime when u get near.

Deathbells and Nightshades appear in alchemy shops from time to time in small quantities, however there's a huge pile of Deathbells in Forelhost, a rather lengthy dungeon in Skyrim's far southwest corner, near Stendarr's Beacon.

I say this because i had 30+ deathbells and used them up in alchemy, BEFORE getting Ingun's quest (facepalm)

Not sure where on the list this might fit (or if even), but reference the Unusual Gems: Don't talk to Vex (thieves guild) about the unusual gems until you have all of them... this way they will stack in your inventory. Not a quest breaker, just makes things tidier.

I wouldn't suggest this. There is a glitch where if you have ALL of them, you will never get the update for having picked one up and thus unable to complete the quest. I think there is even a thread about it on this forum.

You might want to wait until you have all but one.

I wouldn't suggest this. There is a glitch where if you have ALL of them, you will never get the update for having picked one up and thus unable to complete the quest. I think there is even a thread about it on this forum.

Yea, I started that thread, Here is a link to my findings.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=345277

Deathbells and Nightshades appear in alchemy shops from time to time in small quantities, however there's a huge pile of Deathbells in Forelhost, a rather lengthy dungeon in Skyrim's far southwest corner, near Stendarr's Beacon.

There are also a ton of Deathbell in the swamps above Marthal. More than you could ever want. The graveyard in Riften has about 8 Nightshade at a time and there is a Nirnroot farm to the east and a little south of Ivarstead.

Doooh. I didn't know that.

I'm so glad you and XBM Yosho responded. Thank you both!