Stephen Kings,the Dark Tower series.

thewyseone

who here has read the whole series?i started reading it in high school,in about 92,dark tower 1,the gunslinger.i loved it,read the next two and nothing till about 98.he finished the series up about 3 years ago.the best i ever read.loved the mixture of folklore,pop culture and even characters from his other books incorperated into the story.last books i really read.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was 1st series of books I read and loved it. I don't read a lot of Stephen King anymore but Ii have probably read 20 that I really enjoyed, The Stand being my favorite and definitely most epic.. Lately I have been loving some Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child they have did a long series of books that started with The Relic. Bentley Little and Clive Barker are 2 of my other favs.

I've read the whole series and really enjoyed it. I was never a very big Stephen King fan, having only read a portion of Nightmares and Dreamscapes as well as the Green Mile. This series is what got me interested in reading other King stuff. I finally read the Stand and thought that was as wicked if not better than the DT series.

I really liked the Dark Tower series. It's not perfect, but overall, a must read if you like urban/dark fantasy (although, it's got western and sci-fi elements, too).

On a side note, you can see quite a difference in the writing style from one book to the next with the first four. This series took a majority of King's career to write. I've talked to several people who weren't that impressed with the first book and did not continue on. If you do decide to read the series, don't make any final decisions on how much you like it until book 2 or 3.

first one introduces you to some of rolands,(aka the gunsling) history.books 2 and 3 are great but you need to read first one as its real importantant.book 4 is somewhat boring and the rest are also great.

i wish they could do a tv series of this book,but way too much would have to be sacrificed to make it work on tv.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently reading through the series for a second times and I'm on 'Song of Susannah' I can easily say my favourite of the books is Wizard and Glass, I only wanted to read one chapter before I went to sleep and ended up nearly always reading for an hour or so more. I was never keen on Wolves of the Calla after reading it the first time, but now that I'm a couple of years older I found it easier to understand so enjoyed it a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...