weird popping sound

Irishk8lin

So I did a search and nothing came up, if this is a repost, I apologize.

I was playing Black ops earlier today and I heard a weird popping sound come from the xbox. I have the original from launch with a 20G hard drive. It kinda made me nervous, I checked all the cords and the power strip and everything appeared fine. I'm a little nervous to turn it back on in case it is something major.

Can anyone help me out? I'd really appreciate it. :)

I was playing Black ops earlier today and I heard a weird popping sound come from the xbox. I have the original from launch with a 20G hard drive. It kinda made me nervous, I checked all the cords and the power strip and everything appeared fine. I'm a little nervous to turn it back on in case it is something major.

Lol, try turning it back on and see what happens, if its wokring then your ok. But install Black Ops so in won't make the disc spin and running your fan up majorly.

Maybe -if it's possible- record the sound and post it here? That'll be so much more easier to determine what that mysterious sound might be :woop:

I know its hard to describe a sound over the internet. I'll have to figure out the recording sound on my phone. I have my xbox turned on and it made it a couple times more. I used pressured air to clean out the fan and I'll let it sit for awhile. I installed BO to my hard drive to see if that will help.

Thanks for the input.

mmmm strange

Really, isn't it...

I know its hard to describe a sound over the internet. I'll have to figure out the recording sound on my phone. I have my xbox turned on and it made it a couple times more. I used pressured air to clean out the fan and I'll let it sit for awhile. I installed BO to my hard drive to see if that will help.

Thanks for the input.

Can you discribe what the sound looks like the most? It isn't anything like a sort of tick, right?

You know when you open a snapple up? that kinda sound. Thats the only thing i can think of but not as loud

No, never heard of Snapple...but luckily we have Google! :D

http://thedomesticfringe.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/snapple-4.jpg

But...that's basically impossible to hear that sound...

EDIT: OH! Just came up with something! It could be the read-header of your HDD, I surely don't hope so...it this is true, backup ALL of your savedate 'cause your HDD will die in the next couple of days/weeks/months...

EDIT2: Clunking, is that a better word to describe?

EDIT3: http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php does any of these sounds sound familiar?

Edited by Nitramuse