Do you use strategy guides/FAQs?

FatalDeathSG45

When big games come out, usually strategy guides come out to accompany them and FAQs pop up as the months roll by. How many of you out there use strategy guides and/or FAQs and how many forego them?

I personally use strategy games/FAQs only when I'm stuck in certain parts of games (especially RPGs).

Edited by FatalDeathSG45

When big games come out, usually strategy guides come out to accompany them and FAQs pop up as the months roll by. How many of you out there use strategy guides and/or FAQs and how many forego them?

I personally use strategy games/FAQs only when I'm stuck in certain parts of games (especially RPGs).

I have never seen the point in paying for the retail guides. Most of the stuff in them is easy to figure out on your own. In the rare occasion I get stuck on something or in the more likely occasion where I'm to lazy to figure something out I fire up ye olde internet and find the information for free on sites like this.

I find that with RPGs the retail strategy guides give purely shitty advice on things like character building and weapon selection. With a tiny bit of common sense you can create characters that absolutely dominate anything the guides can help you build.

I will use them occasionally. The Lost Odyssey one has been invaluable in getting the Treasure Trove achievement (which I still don't have but am working on it). If I love the game a LOT and plan to get everything in it, I will get the guide. If it's a game not as in depth but I need to find out where something is or how to do something I will look up FAQs and video tips on-line.

Good question. Usually I won't bother with guide books and even if I get them, I'll only use them after I've completed the game once and am heading into my second play through.

If I buy a guide book, it fills these requirements:

• Must be for a big game (usually an RPG with a vast amount of content)
  • The book itself needs to have some collect-ability and sturdiness - bonus artwork, hardback etc)

Beyond that a forum where people are discussing a game and writing guides together is a far better option in general.

Try getting all the achievements on Star Ocean: The Last Hope without one. I guarantee you it's impossible.

Nothing is impossible. Instead of taking, let's say 3 hours, it'll take you 20 hours. :p

I am using a collectibles guide from True Achievements and IGN for LEGO Indiana Jones. Could do without it since I am using cheats and have the detector activated, but using a guide makes what is easy, even easier.

There is nothing wrong with it.

i utilize strat guides on alot of the open world games, i.e skyrim, borderlands 2, etc etc. i did buy mw3's strat guide but it didnt really help me too much. they do help out a ton! the skyrim strat guide is by far my favorite, it helped me out sooooo much the first playthrough i did and even after that it helps out a ton!