Is it possible to play this game offline?

The title says it all and I'm asking now because I already have friends playing it, but they're not answering :)

In DkS or DkS2 on the 360, you could always switch to offline mode when you wanted to play peacefully, without being invaded by the same Brotherhood of Blood asshole every 5 seconds in Black Gulch, on a cliff, surrounded by enemies and poison. You could enjoy the story and do some PvP when you wanted to. Is it still the case? I believe it's important information, because I know at least 3 different people who said they wouldn't pick this game again if it was constant online and invasion-town, especially now that you can get invaded even more frequently and by 3 guys at the same time.

How to get offline on the One?

Most of you know that to get offline (really offline) on the One, you have to choose offline in network settings and hard reboot your console by keeping power pressed for 6 seconds, then wait for 30 seconds before powering again. If you don't do that and you're using wi-fi, for example, you will come back online automatically if a game needs it of when you use your dashboard, or restart your console. I guess unplugging your ethernet cable for those who have one works too lol

I guess it's possible. It's pretty much the same on One as it was on 360. There's even the "Go Online" -option in the main menu. Just make sure your console is offline when you play. There is however more NPC invaders, so you won't be entirely invasion free.

Oh no, that's OK, I've never had trouble with NPCs, even that crazy Wizard you can let out of his cell, but I have seriously experienced days where I couldn't play at all because of invasions. Trying to grind equipment, levels, or just explore some difficult levels when you're getting invaded by the same guy every minute is just impossible. And sometimes burning effigies is not an option, especially if you're trying to finish your NPC quests by summoning all of them for boss fights. You need to be online for that.

We all know you're either ready for PvP or ready for PvE. They both require totally different equipment, even different items and hotkeys. People who invade you are ready for it. Being backstabbed by Mundane infused shadow daggers buffed with Resonant weapon while hiding behind a Pursuer Greatshield with Chameleon or a Silver Talisman so you can't lock on to them is just absolute trash. NPCs don't do that to you. They don't watch Youtube videos to teach them how to do the "Butthead Troll" and destroy all your shit with acid before killing you and dance on your corpse with a Channeler's Trident just to piss you off.

Getting invaded in PvP areas by people who try their best to find their build, yes. Getting invaded when you're trying to play story by a Bloodbro who has read online how to wreck you without thinking about it himself, and keeps hiding behind enemies so you can't fight him, no thanks :)

I have loved those 2 games, I have 1Ked both of them and have every single item except the 2 rings for finishing the game without dying and using a bonfire, but I have never understood why the PvP wasn't only an option, or only possible in certain areas. That is beyond me.

Edited by Asturgis

You can play offline if you hit Cancel when the game is loading calibrations.

Whether that will have an adverse effect on your gameplay I can't say. But it will put you in offline mode.

Hope that helps :)

Oh, and to re-enable online mode you get a message that says either restart the game or wait an hour. So either way, not too stressful.