First Ban Wave Hits

Grifter Reborn

Over the recent weeks we received many reports of players getting an unfair advantage in Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer by exploiting the game using the host migration bug, changing their weapon stats, changing the amount of credits and XP gained on a match, etc. We investigated all the reports sent to [email protected] and today we banned 861 players from Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer. We do not condone exploitation in any way and we will continue to take decisive action against those that violate our policies.

Source:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/12467713

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We do not condone exploitation in anyway"

Yet the bug is their fault. I understand if this was a competitive game but how is one person having more credits/weapons an unfair advantage? If i play with some armed with a lvl 10 black widow and lvl 10 claymore because of credit glitching, i'm not going to snitch to Bioware.

I still maintain Bioware should have patched the bug and moved on.

Good job Bioware. To hell with the cheaters.

"We do not condone exploitation in anyway"

Yet the bug is their fault.

"I can, therefore I should be allowed." Do I even need to tell you what is wrong with that logic?

Bioware warned everyone that using exploits would result in punishment. This is on them.

Sooooo... know there will be even fewer people playing? Since people no longer have their unlocked characters and weapons that enabled them to actually enjoy the game, there's no incentive to want to keep playing. So the community is going to die even more than it already was.

How will the community ever survive with a couple hundred cheaters gone?

Edited by Veedrock

Good job Bioware. To hell with the cheaters.

"I can, therefore I should be allowed." Do I even need to tell you what is wrong with that logic?

Bioware warned everyone that using exploits would result in punishment. This is on them.

Your quote has nothing to do with my logic. I was saying there was a fault in Bioware's programming that allowed people to do something that while not intended, was possible without breaking any rules. In the same way that if a retailer advertisers a promotion but there is a typo in the price, are you not entitled to the price they quote?

Putting aside what Bioware's view on the matter is, why does it matter if people used this glitch, i played a game shortly after release with someone who had an usually wide variety of weapons, when asked how they had all that, they told me about the glitch. I carried on playing because it had zero effect on me, i didn't feel the need to go running to Bioware crying about "cheaters."

Your quote has nothing to do with my logic. I was saying there was a fault in Bioware's programming that allowed people to do something that while not intended, was possible without breaking any rules. In the same way that if a retailer advertisers a promotion but there is a typo in the price, are you not entitled to the price they quote?

Putting aside what Bioware's view on the matter is, why does it matter if people used this glitch, i played a game shortly after release with someone who had an usually wide variety of weapons, when asked how they had all that, they told me about the glitch. I carried on playing because it had zero effect on me, i didn't feel the need to go running to Bioware crying about "cheaters."

Agreed. Those people using exploits to further gain XP or credits has no way caused me to lose any sleep. If someone found a way to take advantage of glitch and use it to their advantage, then good for them. It's not like it ruined anyones game experience.

When you agreed to the ToS when you made an Origin account to play the ME3 Multiplayer you knew that exploiting any sort of unintended glitch/bug/hack would have negative side effects. There is no grey area here. They can do whatever the fuck they want, hell MS does not even need a reason to suspend or ban your account.

And just to add this not just "the credit glitch". This also targets those who modded infinite rocket launchers or no power cooldowns or infinite shields, the list goes on.

On top of what Bahroo said about the ToS:

In the same way that if a retailer advertisers a promotion but there is a typo in the price, are you not entitled to the price they quote?

And your analogy backfires, because no you're not (in the USA). If it's an honest mistake then stores don't have to honor the price. If it's a bait and switch then that's another matter which you have to take them to court for.

Do you consider multiplayer bugs to be bait and switch? The bugs were never advertised to begin with (so there was no bait), and Bioware acknowledges that they're mistakes and should not be exploited; I guess they're advertising the CORRECT "price" in this case, you're just taking the sticker at face value.

So no, you do not have a right to use bugs, the same way you are not entitled to a pricing error.

EDIT: Included a better link than what I had previously.

Edited by Veedrock

When you agreed to the ToS when you made an Origin account to play the ME3 Multiplayer you knew that exploiting any sort of unintended glitch/bug/hack would have negative side effects. There is no grey area here. They can do whatever the fuck they want, hell MS does not even need a reason to suspend or ban your account.

And just to add this not just "the credit glitch". This also targets those who modded infinite rocket launchers or no power cooldowns or infinite shields, the list goes on.

Well, i guess i'm getting banned then because on three separate occasions i was playing a game where we died on wave 10, went back to the lobby and readied up, then had the host quit for reasons unknown, and the rest of us were migrated to wave 10.

We had no intention of doing the credit glitch but we all played on but all 3 times the host was never invited back in. On each occasion, like i said before, i thought this was simply a bug/glitch in Bioware's programming. If i am banned i will certainly think twice before purchasing another Bioware game in the future.

And your analogy backfires, because no you're not (in the USA). If it's an honest mistake then stores don't have to honor the price. If it's a bait and switch then that's another matter which you have to take them to court for.

I'll admit my example was bad, because i didn't know the law differs in the US. Here in Australia if a company advertises a wrong price, they must honor it even if it costs them hundreds of thousands of dollars. Which is why most don't make the mistake in the first place.

Edited by DEG23

Well, i guess i'm getting banned then because on three separate occasions i was playing a game where we died on wave 10, went back to the lobby and readied up, then had the host quit for reasons unknown, and the rest of us were migrated to wave 10.

We had no intention of doing the credit glitch but we all played on but all 3 times the host was never invited back in. On each occasion, like i said before, i thought this was simply a bug/glitch in Bioware's programming. If i am banned i will certainly think twice before purchasing another Bioware game in the future.

They already stated that small cases such as this would be overlooked and just be regarded as a mistake. However those who did for a couple hours (some even long and even a few from this website) straight are already aware it is not intended and continued to do it anyway.

I agree with Deg23 that it should always have been Bioware's responsibility to handle glitches. They did that already, though. I'm betting the ban wave was largely for people that cheated in other ways, since the credit glitch was way too prevalent for there to be only a bit over 800 people banned.

I know that they didn't do it for minor offenses; I did do this for an hour when I first stumbled onto a group doing it. I don't blame myself either. When you discover something new like that, it's easy not to think about it too much. They didn't fuck me over at all, and based on the reaction to the thread I posted here explaining the method, I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone (or several someones) reported me for it.

Point being, I don't think it's the glitchers that they're super interested in, now that they've fixed that problem.

What!? HM-Glitch in this game!? Really, gladly I never joined a lobby with this problem. I don't see the reason to it either. the MP is quite fun & simple, no need to glitch through it. Idiots got served.

The reason was to get more credits to buy more packs. There aren't many people willing to play the game hundreds of hours just to unlock the weapons or classes they want. The multiplayer is easy and simple but also highly repetitive and tedious.

To be clear, I feel any reward system in multiplayer will also punish players. In the case of ME3, credits for random unlocks. The more you play, the more credits you earn, the better chance you have at unlocking something you want. Chance is the key word in this example. The 2 things I wanted most (before DLC) was a Salarian Infiltrator and a Claymore (level 10). It took me ~2 months for the S.I. and ~3 months for the Claymore (level 1). Forget the credit glitch for a moment, there were people in the 1st week with the 2 things I wanted most. Some were phenominal luck. Others were simply because they had actually hacked the game. That is the overwhelming majority of the bans that occured. Back to credit glitch, they increased their odds to get the same results as the other 2 I mentioned and that's supposed to somehow be okay? WTF? If we are supposed to be "rewarded for the amount of time we play" isn't someone's blatant abuse of a glitch to "save time playing" something that shouldn't be rewarded?

TL; DNR- I have no problems with the bans and I feel everything should be available for use from day one on every multiplayer game to avoid "rewards" that are punishments for those who aren't "rewarded."

We at BioWare take cheating very seriously. We want to keep multiplayer as clean and fun as possible and that means maintaining a policy of zero tolerance against cheaters.

Offences & Disciplinary Breakdown

Below is the breakdown of offences and the guidelines we use when determining the appropriate punishment per offence. BioWare reserves the right to take whatever action we deem necessary to reprimand/deter cheaters.

“Tier One” offences are considered the most heinous and will usually result in a ME3 MP ban.

This includes but is not limited to:

- N7 leaderboard exploitation

- Credit exploitation via editing your INI settings

- Aimbot

“Tier Two” offences are the most wide spread abuses and although these will usually result in a ME3 MP ban, certain cases (such as self-reporting) will be handled case by case and will usually result in a credit wipe.

- Credit exploitation via host migration

- INI editing to increase your personal performance

- Illegitimate weapon/character/consumable/etc. rank

- Recruiting for credit exploitation via host migration

- Item “x” exploitation

“Tier Three” offences are those that immediately affect other players but do not grant the cheater any unfair advantage.

- Leeching credits/experience

- Griefing

How do I report someone I suspect of cheating?

You can e-mail [email protected] using the following format:

Your Origin ID: (Your Origin ID goes here)

Suspected cheater’s Origin ID/GT/PSN: (Suspected cheater’s Origin ID/GT/PSN goes here)

Date and time: (Date and time)

Accusation: (What you saw/heard them do)

Additional Information: (Any relevant information such as screenshots, videos)

A thread on reporting cheaters can be found here:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/9895899

Regards,

Thomas Abram

If they ignore the credit glitching with no threat of repriasals then many more people would have been encouraged to take part, hell 99% of the online community would have done so. Then that would mean that for the people wanting to get into a legit game and not credit glitch would become harder as so many would be using the expliot.

Overall it would encourage more people to take part and lead to the multiplayer becoming a glitching party.

i say that baning the people who took advantage of the xp glitch is a bit much. a reset for them would be okay. but that's just me.

The 2 things I wanted most (before DLC) was a Salarian Infiltrator and a Claymore (level 10). It took me ~2 months for the S.I. and ~3 months for the Claymore (level 1). Forget the credit glitch for a moment, there were people in the 1st week with the 2 things I wanted most. Some were phenominal luck.

the salarian infiltrator was my first character i've unlocked and the claymore (currently lvl2) was one of the first weapons i've got, which i never used.

i say that baning the people who took advantage of the xp glitch is a bit much. a reset for them would be okay. but that's just me.

I second that, I would rather they close the glitches and take back what was illegitmately gained. That way they can still take part in multiplayer with the rest of us. Its risky to ban people from playing online unless you have a very large online community.

That does not excuse it or make it acceptable.

I am not saying bioware shouldn't do something about it but so fucking what. Not everyone finds the game as fun as you do. Not everyone feels like playing the same game over and over again just to deal with the random pack system. These people don't really damper my fun at all and at the least bit makes grinding that much easier. Unlike many multiplayer games I rarely run into these glichers and when I do I never bitch that they have an unfair advantage since we all end up with the same XP and credits at the end of the game no matter if they killed 1 or 1000 enemies.