Shitty, terrible controls, still

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah scrolling through all these hypocrytes... Vagoo's just sharing his views, if you don't like it, politely disagree, not bitch and moan. And he makes a pretty good point... For Ubisoft's 'best ever launch sales' game, you'd think this would be tip top. And it is! Dont get me wrong, it really is, but (and 99% of you will hate me for saying this) I've never had a problem with the controls in COD. Or any other game as much as i have in the AC series. I admit, the gameplay is fluid and the controls are extreeemely simple, but for such a big game all those off target jumps are just not acceptable.

P.S. dont even think about telling me to rotate my target view correctly when jumping, cause there's no way i'm operating :ls: , :rtbut: + :abut: AND :rs: all at the same time. without poking it with my dick that is...

Ah scrolling through all these hypocrytes... Vagoo's just sharing his views, if you don't like it, politely disagree, not bitch and moan. And he makes a pretty good point... For Ubisoft's 'best ever launch sales' game, you'd think this would be tip top. And it is! Dont get me wrong, it really is, but (and 99% of you will hate me for saying this) I've never had a problem with the controls in COD. Or any other game as much as i have in the AC series. I admit, the gameplay is fluid and the controls are extreeemely simple, but for such a big game all those off target jumps are just not acceptable.

P.S. dont even think about telling me to rotate my target view correctly when jumping, cause there's no way i'm operating :ls: , :rtbut: + :abut: AND :rs: all at the same time. without poking it with my dick that is...

You really can't compare AC controls to COD. That is just not a fair comparison at all. AC has a lot of things going on, while COD has running, walking and jumping through windows. COD is far simpler.

You also don't control all 4 buttons at the same time. If you're trying to do that then you are crazy. You do have to use http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/misc/rs.png sometimes and when you do that, you kindly stop running around and use the http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/misc/rs.png to aim wherever you want to go and continue your freerunning.

Edited by JesusBread

no im just saying, other games tend not to mess up so much, and to all those people who said you werent "looking straight enough" you cant be expected to do that...

And what other games like Assassin's creed are there? Mirror's Edge? That's the only one I can think of. You can't compare this game with other games in terms of controls. You just can't. It's like comparing a monkey to a donkey.

And what other games like Assassin's creed are there? Mirror's Edge? That's the only one I can think of. You can't compare this game with other games in terms of controls. You just can't. It's like comparing a monkey to a donkey.

There's that yeah, and mirrors edge was spot on. Prince of Persia, another ubisoft series and quite similar (romulus lairs are pretty much PoP gameplay), and i never had this problem with those games...

I wish people would get off this 'you just suck' BS. The fact is that occasionally the game does do things you just don't want, trying to jump forwards and flying way wide of the mark for example, or trying to move sideways across a gap and you inexplicably jump off the wall instead. It DOES happen.

I'll admit, it's much better than it was in the first game, so it IS improving, but it still happens, and tbh, I don't think there is any way to change it. When you have a 360 degree camera, sometimes the directional mapping doesn't synch up properly. For instance, what you WANT and EXPECT is for pressing right to always move you right, no matter which way the camera faces, but perhaps when you turn the camera, pressing right triggers as if you've pressed back, particularly frustrating if you're climbing a wall or something. The problem with it is not that it happens, but that it is inconsistent, and it is just down to the way the controls track with the camera movement, it doesn't always synch up well. It's to be expected, and is one of the pitfalls of this kind of game. Fortunately, it is pretty infrequent, however it can be bloody irritating when it DOES happen.

Edit: to jump in on another on going discussion, Saboteur is VERY like this in many ways, hell, they even included a car in it called the Altair as an homage.

Also, yes, Prince of Persia is quite like this, and I'll be honest, I had these kinds of control problems far more frequently in those games, especially the first one we had this gen, that was bloody awful for them.

Edited by Grummy

As someone who finished AC2 on his second account just in time to start this game for Christmas, the controls do seem to be a little different in this. I'm assuming they've just made them stricter because the game has online multiplayer now, so it's not really a bad thing.

I'm just going through the single player story at the moment and the accidental jumping off walls seems no more common in this than it was in the previous games, so that doesn't annoy me. What happens to me a lot though is Ezio simply won't attempt to climb on things he is able to grab; several times whilst climbing a viewpoint I'll be halfway up and come across a "dead end" in the climbing route because he won't try to grab anything new. I'll backtrack a little, shimmy across the other three sides of the building and try other paths that don't reach as high as I previously was, and then when I return to the appropriate wall he'll decide to continue his path even though I've done nothing different in terms of positioning or what I'm doing with the analogue stick.

This'd happen very rarely in AC2 and the solution was to simply climb one brick/ring/window down, then climb back up and try again but it seems more of a crapshoot as to whether that fixes it in this one. My assumption is that they no longer want me to be climbing things while holding :rtbut: + :abut: the way I did in AC2, but it still happens now and then when I'm not doing so. I'm sure I'll get used to the controls after a while (I'm only in sequence 3 at the moment), but coming from one game to the next with no space between shows a definite change in the controls or the climbing engine. I'm hoping at some point in the story I'll relearn that jumping upwards and clinging skill he learns in AC2 Venice, as that should solve the climbing problem altogether.

Edited by Didi Mau

The only real issue I've had with the controls is having to cancel a crossbow shot with 'B' while I'm already holding down 'x' to aim the damn crossbow which makes it very difficult to cancel and not 'fluid' at all.

The other things such as jumping where I didn't aim or hiring mercs when I was trying to call a horse or calling a horse when I was trying to buy property or calling a horse when I was about trying to speak to a shopkeeper or backflipping when I was trying to drop and backcatch are just minor niggles.

However, to say that the controls are awesomely fine brilliant best ever oh so fluid is just a fanboyism lie. They're average at best but the game itself is so good it overshadows small (but frequent) control issues.