Lunar Lunatic ... The Method

This is advice that would have been amazing for me to have before I started going for this achievement. The key to this achievement is NOT CO-OP ... DO NOT attempt it in that mode. The reason why is because it does not work for the achievement. I beat the game in Co-op mode with two of my friends and nothing happened except me getting the Team Work achievement. Do not put yourself through that whole process for nothing!

Now, the beating the game.

*DISCLAIMER - I had roughly 4 hours of practice on all the levels from trying to beat it in Co-op so I knew the patterns of the enemies which helped out a lot ... I'd recommend playing through on Medium or Hard a few times for practice*

Use the Red ship as it is the most powerful against bosses that matter. Go through the game and power up the ship to the full power. Do not use the flamethrower super weapon as it is virtually useless. Use the beam (X I believe) whenever you have a free second to charge it because it is the most powerful weapon in the game hands down! When your weapon becomes powered up, you can stay on the fire bombs if you want, but if there are a number of enemies on the screen, switch to the spread fire as it does crazy damage and bounces off the screen. Learning to use this weapon helps in levels 2 and 3 since it is such an effective weapon. After level 1, the fire bombs begin to be less effective.

FIRST BOSS: The best way to defeat this is to charge the beam and shoot the middle, making sure that you stay directly next the ship to avoid the rapid fire shots. Charge the beam when he shoots the rapid fire shot, hit him and shoot the fire bombs until he begins to shoot again dropping down below the fire before he starts. Rinse and repeat. Easy boss after a couple tries. Staying close it almost imperative though because it does the most damage.

SECOND BOSS: Spread your firing between beams and fire bombs amongst the heads to avoid having to deal with the heat-seeking torpedoes. If you take out a head, then it will cause the torpedoes to come and it starts to get really tough. The laser is not hard to dodge; just get out of the way when you see him shooting it. This boss is hard at first because you need to learn to dodge the tri-shots as he shoots them, but the top always fires first. The laser can shoot behind the heads so do not hide behind them ... you will get cornered and be in real trouble. Overall, I feel this is the hardest boss to master and not loss many lives.

THIRD BOSS: Really tough at first, but I lost only 3 guys each of the 3 times that I played this boss so it is very do able. The big key is learn to dodge. DO NOT USE THE BEAMS! If you do, you will get a Fury Rainbow attack and it is 95% impossible to dodge. Also, do not use the Beams as it does virtually no damage and different attacks come. Use the fire spread attack (why the Red ship is a must) and take your time in order to finish this guy off. Takes a while, but not hard at all.

I beat this game on hard three times in a row with loosing at most 5 guys through the entire game. I had at least 6 extra guys each time so it is very do able. If you have any questions on any specific parts, comment and I may be able to help you out. Send me a message on here if you are really struggling and I may be able to help out a little bit, but posting with comments and concerns is going to be the best way to get help!

Happy Hunting!

Edited by Lord of Orion

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have 5 lives till i get to the last boss and i just simply couldnt evade those homing colorful small beams shot by the boss. So close yet so far.

Btw, i am using the purple Midnight Beam or something like that, the one that shoots out piercing beams. The purple one.

Edited:

Finally got the lunar lunatic achievement on try no.31 using the Midnight Eclipse ship.

Truthfully the homing round laser balls prove to be really useful.

And the piercing laser beams is absolutely useful on the asteroids field in level 2.

Finish the last boss with 2 lives remaining.

Edited by sharnock

• 7 months later...

Dont use the purple ship , go with the red , thats what i used when i beat it also. For the second boss i wouldnt bother with the beam at all , just use your main gun with the big fireballs , if you aim between the top and middle heads as soon as the boss fight starts , with a little luck u have a chance of taking him down to around half life before you even see his entire body , shooting in the middle there can actaully hit those 2 heads at once basically double your damage

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi fellow gamers!!

I just 1000'ed this game, being Lunar Lunatic my last achievement.

I tried all the ships and I must tell you guys that the Purple one is awesome (its ammo is armor piercing). The main gun fully upgraded is devastating, the secondary fire is very useful, especially when you get close to the enemy (because they seek heat or something), and the special weapons is also very handy at times. That being said, I used the main gun 95% of the time.

My advice is to practice each level individually until you feel comfortable. Familiarize yourself with the enviroment, with the enemies, with their movements patterns... Do not try to rush or you will die a lot and probably smash your controller (again).

Oh, and in the 3rd level, there is one huge astronaut who can be very annoying if you don't get past him as soon as he appears. If you don't do so, he will attack you with 3 blue rays that will destroy you for sure. Forget about destroying him, just get your ass at the right of the screen and you will be ok. If you make it to the last boss with at least 5 lives you will probably defeat him.

I hope this tips can be useful to somebody in the future because this cheevo is a bit hard.

PS: My main issue with the Red ship is that its main gun fully upgraded is very powerful, BUT it has a distance limit (or at least thats what it seemed to me). The main gun of the Purple ship can shoot its rays from one side to the other, and many times you face situations where you want to destroy enemies or turrets that are not on the screen yet. And thats when the Purple ship does a better job than the red one.

Edited by Lord of Rage

• 3 weeks later...

I cleared it with the Red ship too. I actually preferred the Purple ship (and did better with it throughout the levels) but I could not defeat the final boss with it. I got to the final boss with the Purple ship having 7 lives left, and died. Very next game I used the Red ship, got to the final boss with 5 lives and only died once.

Side note: The final boss has the rainbow homing attack that everyone says is almost impossible to dodge. If you fly towards it, it is very easy to dodge. You still have to move to the openings, but it only hit me once doing that. If you back up, they will track you down and kill you.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I got this achievement a few years ago.

My advice is to use the Red ship, memorize enemy placements in all 3 levels to the best of your ability to minimize deaths, ONLY use the alternate fire, keep your weapon upgraded, beat the first level WITHOUT losing a single life, kill as many enemies as possible for extra lives, keep any deaths in level 2 at MOST at 3, and try to make it AT LEAST to the asteroid field in level 2 without dying.