I prefer Fallout 3/New Vegas to Skyrim

AtomicThumbs

I could understand why Bethesda wanted to get their hands on Fallout.

That awesome post-apocalyptic world and lore already set up for them. Thats why the first two games still hold up today even with the dated graphics imo.

I feel New Vegas has the closest vibe to the originals with the factions, the quirkiness and all.

Skyrim is good two but i guess its about what setting you prefer.

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even want to compare Fallout with TES. While they are both RPGs and published by the same company, they are still so different and I love them both for what they are.

Fallout is the sci-fi experience in a postapocalyptic wasteland with firearms, laser rifles and such. It's all about the survival - scavenging the weapons to either use them, repair yours with them or for selling, scavenging all the ammo for them, medical supplies, all that it takes to survive a hostile environment. It's about seeing what the civilization has become after the Great War and a great reminder that we should never use the nukes we have.

Now TES, on the other hand, is all about fantasy. You don't need a rifle, just a nice sword with a nice enchantment on it. Or perhaps you just want to cast lots of spells. It's not about survival anywhere near as much, especially with regenerating health and the fact that in Skyrim you never have to worry about fixing any of your equipment. The only thing you (gotta) maintain is the charges on enchanted weapons. There is no apocalyptic event that has destroyed everything. It's just basic wars and the usual bad-guy-from-another-realm-wants-to-rule-over-the-world type of stuff.

Imo, those two games shouldn't be compared outside of the basic gameplay, graphics, soundtrack etc. When I play them, I don't think "this is so much better in Fallout/TES" - unless it's an obvious flaw. Now of course they don't both have to be your cup of tea. I know my friend like Fallout 3 but hates Oblivion, simply because she enjoys shooting, not swordfights.

But yeah, just my 2 cents.