When do you look at a game's achievement list?

Gamechamp

When do you look at a game's achievement list (most often)?  

289 members have voted

1. 1. When do you look at a game's achievement list (most often)?

• ASAP; as soon as I know the list is out, I pounce!
    • After buying the game, but before playing; have to go in ready!
    • Meh, whenever I feel like it. Not terribly important.
    • Not till reaching a certain point in the game; it must age before you pop the cork!
    • Never! I hate achievements! Get them out! RAHR!
    • Other.

Interested in seeing what the responses will be like.

For me, unless it's a short/campaignless XBLA game or if it's a game I've played before previously (XBLA ports of older games), I try not to look at the list until after I've beaten the game... or, in some cases, 100%ed it. I used to make exceptions to check if a game had missable achievements beforehand, but that didn't work out well; I ended up having some unmissable achievements found in the process, and they often left out telling me of missables, anyways. (For example, the three achievements for each of the final choices in Fable II, which are probably the most important missable achievements to know about, seeing as they require you to replay the entire game twice if you're not in-the-know).

I like to do it this way for two reasons: first, I didn't like how achievements often influenced the way I played. If, for example, there was an achievement for getting a certain number of kills with a certain weapon, I'd often choose that weapon over ones I enjoyed more. Second, I just like surprises. When playing Portal 2, there was this poor lonely turret heading into a furnace. I couldn't just let the cute little thing die D:! So I picked it up and carried it off the conveyor belt... and then bam, Trophy Unlocked. It made me feel speshul. ^-^

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to look at an achievement list as soon as it comes out if it's a game I'm almost certain I will get if I don't already have it pre-ordered. With everything else, I'll either look at it closer to the release date to help make a decision to get the game, or if I'm really unsure I'll wait for an achievement guide to follow up the list itself. Finally, if it's a game I know I won't bother with, I'll look at the achievement list once the review comes out and read them both at the same time.

I tend to look at an achievement list as soon as it comes out if it's a game I'm almost certain I will get if I don't already have it pre-ordered. With everything else, I'll either look at it closer to the release date to help make a decision to get the game, or if I'm really unsure I'll wait for an achievement guide to follow up the list itself. Finally, if it's a game I know I won't bother with, I'll look at the achievement list once the review comes out and read them both at the same time.

Basically the same.

If its a game im anxiously awaiting i'll scan the list as soon as it comes out, but (and this is the most likely scenario) if its a game i just happened to have picked up cheaply then i play for a bit before looking because, more often then not, there will be things that i wont understand until i play for a bit.

As far as games that have been out for a while, the achievement list impacts what I buy. I typically look for something that I will enjoy and not hate getting the achievements in. I tend to avoid games that require hours of online boosting and tediously huge time sinks.

That being said, when there are new games that I want the achievement list doesnt impact my purchase. Before I start I take a look at the list and see what I can knock out in an easy first playthrough though

it all depends for me, so i voted other. sometimes i will study beforehand, and even go through with a walkthrough/guide, just to make sure i dont have to make any unnecessary playthroughs.

for other games i purposefully wont check them, just to get a bit more involved in the game without having to worry about things.

although i must say the second option didnt work so well when i decided not to check the cheevos for fable 3...... dont get me wrong, i enjoyed the story alot more than i would have had i been constantly checking cheevos and collectible guides, but i wish i had of known about the last part of the game.....

i stuffed up badly and that forced me to make a second playthrough. but i didnt mind too much, as i like to have a 'good' playthrough and a 'evil' playthrough for fable games.

it all depends for me, so i voted other. sometimes i will study beforehand, and even go through with a walkthrough/guide, just to make sure i dont have to make any unnecessary playthroughs.

for other games i purposefully wont check them, just to get a bit more involved in the game without having to worry about things.

although i must say the second option didnt work so well when i decided not to check the cheevos for fable 3...... dont get me wrong, i enjoyed the story alot more than i would have had i been constantly checking cheevos and collectible guides, but i wish i had of known about the last part of the game.....

i stuffed up badly and that forced me to make a second playthrough. but i didnt mind too much, as i like to have a 'good' playthrough and a 'evil' playthrough for fable games.

Jesus, yeah, the Fable III thing is cruel. One second you have over a hundred days left, then bam, you get the bad ending. I was lucky in that I'd happened to feel like putting my cash in "early," or at least what I thought was early. Turns out I'd actually put it in at the last possible moment.

Even if I risk having to replay a game, I think it's outweighed by the benefits of not knowing what's coming. Besides, replaying games is fun!

I voted other, because it depends on a game.

- If it's a game that is very story-driven, in order to enjoy it 100% I don't even take a peek at the achieveemnt list until I finish it for the first time, then I check and return to mop up (L.A. Noire or Assassin's Creed for example).

- If it's a game that has a multiplayer component, I check to see if there are any MP achievements and what they are.

- If it's a game I picked up for cheap on e-bay, I check in advance to see if it has a reasonable list.

- If it's a sports game, I check in advance to see if they have discontinued achievements.

I used to go through the list a couple of times before i played a game. Then i got fed up with doing that because if i new there was an achievment for doing something i would completly change the way im playing to get the achievment.

Now i complete the single player then have a look at the achievments.

I voted other, because for me, it depends on the game. If its something like Kung Fu Panda, something i fully know is an easy 1k then yes I will look at the list when I boot it up for the first time. However if its something I am ridiculously amped to play, such as Skyrim, I will look as soon as they are up due to the ridiculous level of excitement building within me. And then theres the spontaneous bargain bin purchase, such as Splatterhouse (ugh) or WET (yay!) then i will only look once i've decided whether or not the game is good enough for me to give a crap about its acheivements.

I need to wait to c if the game is any gd first and that i can get into it. Achievements i think are only worth going for if ur really into the gme otherwise its the typical level finishing achievements on a game that ur playing for the sake that u bought it. However in games i'm into i get half way through then check on the achievements, sometimes it to late to get the early ones but cause i like the game i will go back n try to get them.