What's so good about mass effect?

Trendin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

loved ME1 more personally, especially the planet exploration with Mako (a fan of it) and the customization. ME2 is great, with better combat and control, but for me it lacks the exploration element, but each mission was better than ME1, not to mention more challenging than the first. As for the genre, it is a great new space opera, the game universe is detailed and interesting, so I falls in love with it.

Answering the question:

- The ability to mold your own character, in appearance, abilities, speech, actions, relationships, and major story decisions.

- A huge universe and great mythos.

- Terrific characters and voice acting.

- Combat that involves much more than guns - on easier difficulties, you can fight without using your own weapon at all. Also, the squad aspect.

Am I missing something, people?

I've beaten mass effect 2 and didn't really enjoy it the slightest. I can't find why people love this series so much. Why do you guys like this series?

if you skipped ahead and just started with the sequal, theres no way you are getting the full experience. in the first game the player must build up from scratch, humanity just joined the galactic universe and is generally looked down on. shepard not only saves the galaxy, but ensures a spot for humanity in the galactic community. the second game pretty much just has you working for terrorists :p

for me the sci-fi scene was never my thing, but the idea of how rich in RPG this game was drew me in. there is just something about being the captain of a starship, and with all the pressure on shepard the game is geared towards your choices.

Answering the question:

- The ability to mold your own character, in appearance, abilities, speech, actions, relationships, and major story decisions.

- Combat that involves much more than guns - on easier difficulties, you can fight without using your own weapon at all. Also, the squad aspect.

:whs For the OP, just because alot, and I mean alot of people love the game, that doesnt mean you have to as well. If your NOT into Sci-fi, RPG's, or shooters then your not going to like it. If you just try it and dont stick with it, your not going to like it. If you didnt play ME1, you dont have as much invested in the story and probably dont get or understand everything, so your not going to like it. Its ok to say you dont like it, but it is one of the best trilogies out there.

Personally, I dont know how anyone COULDN'T like this series but like "ExtremeRugburn" said its ok if you dont like it. Everyone has their own opinion. But to be honest, i played ME1 initially years ago and HATED it. Looking back I realize I had just finished playing Gears of War so that combat system seemed very odd. Year later I picked it back up because everyone kept raving about it. Needless to say by the end of it, I was awed. VERY epic game. I waited for Gamestop to open the day ME2 came out and over the last few years I have played each game all the way thru at least a dozen times or more. The fact that this is the ONLY game I have ever played to have ALL my decisions carry over from one game into the next incredible. Greatest series ever IMO.

Edited by jules the great
spelling

The fact that this is the ONLY game I have every played to have ALL my decisions carry over from one game into the next incredible. Greatest series ever IMO.

this has to be my number one reason for loving this and dragon age, bioware are the only company i can think of ever doing this and it make s the series of games amazing.

there are a lot of other reasons i love this but that will always be top of the list

Answering the question:

Pretty much :whs !! I never liked the idea of it 1st but once i finally got around to playing it i couldnt put it down!

:whs For the OP, just because alot, and I mean alot of people love the game, that doesnt mean you have to as well. If your NOT into Sci-fi, RPG's, or shooters then your not going to like it. If you just try it and dont stick with it, your not going to like it. If you didnt play ME1, you dont have as much invested in the story and probably dont get or understand everything, so your not going to like it. Its ok to say you dont like it, but it is one of the best trilogies out there.

This^. A lot of people like Halo. I find it to be crap. That said, I still think it's a decent game. To me it's a bunch of sci-fi cliches, with arcade FPS gameplay, and that's why so many people like it.

I just love how involved I get into everything. It's one of the few games that really draws me into it's world and does, on occasion, make me feel like a badass. The fact that I get my own persoal journey through the series doesn't hurt either.

Also, I can see ME3 being the first game to bring me to tears, I really do love some characters that much. If Garrus or Ash fall, I will probably break down into girlish hysterics.

The easiest answer is that it has an amazing story that you as a player help shape. You're creating the story as you go, and while the main events are relatively linear, you go to a couple of planets, kill some stuff, recruit some people, and kill a big ugly boss thing, you shape those events......and there is a consequence to what you do. That consequence makes your playthrough different than any other. So much so, that it actually affects the sequels. Everyone starts ME2 being "saved" by Cerberus. But people's reactions to you, events and plots, people and the roles they hold....all these things were decided by your actions in the previous game. And will affect the next as well.

Mass Effect is less a video game, and more an interactive "choose-your-own-adventure" movie. For a lot of people, that's an amazing draw.

I first played Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 and loved it but felt like I was missing something so I bought the first Mass Effect from XBOXLIVE and so many things started making so much more sense to me. Once I completed the first Mass Effect I had to play through 2 again, only this time on the xbox so I could import my file and now I am playing though Mass Effect 2 again and it is so much better now than it was before. Great game, great franchise and can not wait for Mass Effect 3.

I've beaten mass effect 2 and didn't really enjoy it the slightest. I can't find why people love this series so much. Why do you guys like this series?

Have you play ME1? Because that one is THE ONE. ME2 was not that great, and if I had start on that one I don´t think I will have much appreciation for the series either.

Anyway, for me is all about the story and the choices.

Story: Sci-Fi plots are being placed entirely or almost in the FPS category, with things like Halo or Gears of War (I really dislike this games, but it´s fine, I don´t want my favorite games to be the top ones in selling, that will mean casualitation at some point for the sake of sells) controlling that way of describing a world, and leaving no room for games like KOTOR or Freelance (A favorite of mine, from the day of release to the end of times). When I first saw the game, the tutorial part, I dislike it from the start, the characters are militaries and the dialogue parts are just something before the shooting action. Then a friend insisted that I played the game again, so I just finish the tutorial part and get to the Citadel, and boy, it was love at first sight. It may not be the best Sci-FI world I´ve see, and is obviously taking formulas from previous hits of the genre (there´s a little bit of Star Wars, a little bit of Star Trek, little bits of Galactica...and it works fine), but at that moment it feel fresh to me and was giving me something I was hoping for a long time, and immersive RPG that takes places in the space and not in a so much used medieval reinterpretation with mythology creatures all around.

I will state however that I start losing interest lately, mainly because they don´t seem to have create a lore and then make a game, they put some lore elements, then the games, then more lore. I mean, there are races in ME2 we didn´t have a clue they existed previously to some of the comics, books or the ME2 game itself. And they have lost my interest too because the exploring a new universe are kind of lost, is all about friking humans, and I´m sick of those guys.

Choices: Not much to say. I love every game that allows multiple paths, specially when they actually affect the game somehow. Whit games that have this feature I always feel the need to create several characters, and for my that´s a plus.

But the game itself, regarding what the player does, the gameplay, the grapics, the physics, the story of what happens and how that story tries to make feel bounded to it...I think is overrated in the case of ME2. As a game I do not think is a "must have" and truly it´s never been one of those games I recommend or talk about with friends.

If you jumped right into ME2 without playing ME1, like it seems so many people in this thread have done, then you really are missing out on the best the game has to offer. It's no wonder why you can't get into it, you haven't been drawn into it from ME1's story.

ME1 was a great game and what captivated me personally was the story. ME2, I felt was a bit of a step back from RPG games and it was more geared towards the gears of war crowd. It became more of a third person shooter. The story was still fantastic.

ME3 I hope will have as good a story as ME1 and 2 did.

Basically: ME1 was great. BUT...had some issues:

Graphics: they used UE3 Engine, but hadnt figured it out yet...so there was alot of texture pop in and other issues related to UE3

Gameplay: while innovative (Biotics and Tech powers), was cumbersome at best, clunky and frustrating at worst.

Mako/Planet Exploration: This was love/hate. Some people (such as myself) loved it, while many many others hated it.

With that being said, it had a brilliant cast and story, and the ability to shape your character and make it your own, combined with the morality system are its trademarks, the stuff other games are going to be emulating for quite some time.

ME2 rolls around, and fixes much of the issues with ME1: Graphics are top notch, no more UE3 issues or texture pop in, Gameplay is much much better this time around. But they scrapped the Mako and replaced it with the most tedious, boring game mechanic ever: Planet Scanning.

Also, ME2 was weaker on the storyline, and the whole Cerberus angle pissed off alot of ME1 fans (seeing as how they were portrayed as terrorists in ME1, and now you are working for them).

id agree with the person above on pretty much everything, except tech and biotics being innovative they are just basic RPG ideas put into a futuristic setting, biotics are mages tech are rouges

True, but ME is more of a 3PS gameplay-wise, then it is an RPG. The "RPG" part of ME comes from the story, not the gameplay. So, that is why i claim it is innovative, since just about every other "shooter" game is just that...a shooter. But ME expanded that style of gameplay with biotic and tech powers.

First you must be in to RPG's. It is a role playing game, just like MMORPG's which are just mass multiplayer online role playing games.

Bioware is (for me) the best company out there when it comes to story telling. They know how to get you to feel like a part of that (Depending on the level of how involved you wanna me - if that is what you are into, its a roleplaying game).

If you start playing from ME2 you wont understand much. The game, the story line, the arch all started from scratch from the very first game. ME series pretty much offer anything and everything when it comes to the basic acknowledge of RPGs. Leveling up, great grind, storyline etc.