thoughts on the darkness 2

WulfSpyder86

Just wondering if anyone else enjoyed The Darkness 2 as much as i did. Really dark, fun, and bloody FPS. Mike Patton does the voice of "the darkness" if you know who he is. The only real downside to the game is that it is quite short, but perfect for a redbox rental. It only took me 4 days to get all the achievements, and i loved every minute of it.

I have never seen or played the first one though now after playing the second one i would really like to. The game was really short, but since I played it through redbox I didn't really mind.

I really liked the graphics. I felt like I was playing a graphic novel. Though I suppose if your not into that kind of stuff you might not enjoy it like i did. I thought the controls were pretty solid, and the overall dark feeling of the game was really cool. Maybe I'm just biased b/c I'm a fan of Mike Patton, but hearing his demonic sounding voice scream at me while I'm ripping people apart was just an awesome experience for me.

I have never seen or played the first one though now after playing the second one i would really like to.

You should definitely play the first one, it is better in almost every conceivable way. The first game is way deeper, better written and better voice acted. And if you like Patton he has way better parts in the first.

You said it bro. The Darkness was a freakin masterpiece, this supposed sequel is a steaming pile of donkey turd.
\

not to be rude but i seem to see u arguing in every thread about how much u hated the darkness 2. i admit the first one was alot better but u have to admit the gameplay was very well done and u can do like 12 things at once. The only thing that the darkness 2 lacked was the character voices and story.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game and I believe it had it's ups and down from the original. It was disappointing that they replaced most of the original voice actors, bar Mike Patton of course. It definitely wasn't as engrossing or in depth as the first one but there are two key points that I really liked about this sequel:

They made Jackie a more believable character in my opinion. In the first he was like a rampaging goth, which can definitely work (just look at the Crow) but I prefer the more mafioso Jackie in The Darkness 2. It could just be that I didn't like him being overly goth as he wasn't in the comics but I dunno..

I actually like that they are changing the comic plot. Most people complain when something is adapted into another format and it doesn't stick to the original but I've found with a lot of things, that somestimes a drastic change can do a lot of good. That way it's not like just playing some game of the comic/ watching a film of the book etc where you know exactly where it's going to go/what's going to happen. The game has become its own storyline in it's own right. Changing the way the Darkness is passed on (Jackie's dad still being alive after Jackie was concieved) and other points like how they've added the Angelus in etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Havn't completed this yet, but so far it seems pretty good, like the addition of being able to hard aim/iron sight as the first was a pig in the shooting department, like being able to control the darkness arm.

What I'm not liking is the fact it's cell shaded it looks a step down from the original, I'm pretty sure jakies voice is different and considering it's only suppose to be 3 years later, he now looks like he's skipped from 21 to his mid 30's

I won't comment on the story as I'm not done yet(only just begun), but the major downside is the lost of open world-nes. Last thing can you PM and tell me what you mean by the twist in the first, as I can't remember that.

Honestly it was a bit of a disappointment to me. I really disliked the graphics they went with, I don't even know what to call it but the color and shading on the people was kind of lousy. Jackie's little cinemas were annoying to look at, even if he's sitting in a dark room there was too much shadowing. You can barely see him well. With all the advancement in visual technology they really could have done better. And some of the original voice acting was much better (especially Butcher Joyce's). Jackie's new character design was also a step back, he was too small compared to his original appearance in the first one. I will admit though the Darkness's heads looked pretty cool this time. And I did like the different ways you could use them this time around, as well as the leveling up and obtaining different powers and not having to switch through different versions of them to use those powers. They did good there. But the story kind of frustrated me. It felt like the life story you get from Jackie in the first and the story you get in the second don't quite match each other. And the ending felt kind of lazy, like there is no real final challenge. No real final battle with a truly powerful enemy. You think you get one and it's like wait, there's more! Then they pull a Chuck Testa on you. I won't say much more because I don't want to spoil anything, but it just felt too abrupt and not a whole lot better than the first one's ending. And the side missions you play outside the main story are, well...I guess something is better than nothing. Listening to Wilson talk is entertaining. In the end, it's got its good and bad points. But I will say I loved the Darkling, having one that sticks with you acting as a guide to your next destination and actually interacting with you as well as lending assistance during fights was a good addition. Not to mention he was hilarious. As well as that nutjob Johnny Powell, his manner of speech and the things he said made me laugh sometimes. But this is one of those games where I find I liked the prequel better than the sequel.

Edited by KittyChan87

• 5 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying playing it and I very much like the art style. I think that jst comes down to personal taste as I know some people dont buy into this style. Gameplay is fun and gory and the litte darkling dude is funny. The trouble I have is that it's far too short and then ending is disappointing. They leave it open for another but I'm not sure if it was successfull enough for the studio to make another, kinda in the same league as ff 13-2.

• 1 month later...

I absolutely loved the game, it surprised the hell out of me. I liked the graphical style and gunplay of the sequel better than in the original. What annoyed me the most, was how the replaced the voice actors for Jackie but I eventually got over that.

• 5 weeks later...

I really disliked the first game. Took two attempts to finish it and that was a pure 'gotta just beat it' grind.

Everything that annoyed me was fixed in the second game. I loved the visuals, the game play, the upgrade system, and all the modes. I'm glad they changed the game up and now I can't wait for the third game. Hell, I even 1000/1000 and didn't even realize till the last mission in vendettas that I was going to.

I really disliked the first game. Took two attempts to finish it and that was a pure 'gotta just beat it' grind.

Everything that annoyed me was fixed in the second game. I loved the visuals, the game play, the upgrade system, and all the modes. I'm glad they changed the game up and now I can't wait for the third game. Hell, I even 1000/1000 and didn't even realize till the last mission in vendettas that I was going to.

How would there be a third? The Darkness is gone. Jackie permanently killed himself with the siphon and the Darkness was taken out with him. If the Darkness's host is dead it can't continue to exist. They're both trapped in hell as the Angelus said. Guess it doesn't matter he damned his own soul for the sake of saving the woman he loves, he apparently shouldn't get a second chance because he's 'too dangerous'. Pff, Angelus bitches too much.

• 3 months later...