Has GTA V set the bar too high?

HDresden

It's only been out just over a week, but this game still amazes me every time I put it on. The little details, the scope, the acting, just everything.

This is the new level of open world games and my fear is it will be a long time until something can match this. Skyrim was an excellent & amazing world as well, but it has the liberty of being a fantasy world & not having to replicate a living breathing metropolis based in reality.

I know that even if I try not to compare it, I have a feeling that no matter what open world game I play from this point on, will always fall short of this.

I don't want to make this thread sound like I'm putting down or trashing other open world games, just a concern.

Anybody else feel this way?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I don't even think it sets the bar too high. In all honesty (Probably going to shoot me) but I still enjoy SRIV better. *ducks from gun fire* But yeah I think this game is just fantastic, but it is not completely superior to any other open world game. So yeah that just my opinion :p

Edited by B1SK3TS N GR4VY

No. I don't feel like it's that substantial. Sure it's near or at the top of its kind, but it isn't impossible for this to be matched. Like the guy above me said, Saints Row IV is pretty damn good. I had more "holy shit" moments with the story in that and generally just more fun with the gameplay.

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/southpark/vertical_video/season_16/1609/south-park-1609-raising-the-bar-FDD-clip14.jpg

R* has always set the bar high and has always knocked it out the park. They set it REALLY high with GTA V and I say they've hit it. Then they continue to raise that same bar with GTA Online pretty much being released as a second game (separate launch, separate story line and missions, etc) for free and even tho they've already issued press releases warning players that it will be buggy and will certainly have it's problems at first, R* will be on top of things and constantly fixing and evolving it. If you read the article in the new Game Informer mag you will find that they have HUGE dreams to take GTA so far past where it is at the moment (which is clearly at a record breaking high!!). I give it a 12/10!!!! VIVA R*!!!!

The game is no doubt amazing in almost every department. But in my honest opinion, it has only set the bar for open world games. Story wise and character wise, there's other games that have done that ( BioShock Infinite and The Last of Us).

I hope to god that 2K makes Mafia III just as amazing. Oh, and as much as everyone hates Bethesda on this website...Fallout 4 and The Elder Scrolls VI have the potential to 1+ GTA's "bar-setting" of the open world genre.

Edited by BiggD

I'll wait to see what online offers, as I was slightly dissapointed by the lack of creativity the player has with the heists. Technologically, GTAV is amazing,but it doesn't have everything I wanted. Even the soundtrack leaves much to be desired and it's those reasons I hold open world games against the original Saints Row. Great music, perfect sense of humor and a lot of the gameplay features I want in an open world crime game.

GTA 5 centered around my favorite missions from previous games: heists. They weren't perfect and that has me worried how they'll focus the next game. I sincerely hope R* sticks with a more specialized gameplay mechanic in GTAVI (like the heists in this one), but what that could be, I don't know.

Simply put, GTAV isn't perfect (yet). Other open world games will certainly need something to standout, but that's nothing new and won't change.

I was leaning towards open world games in regards to the thread. The story is a lot of fun & does a great job of letting you play 3 characters, but there is other games I enjoy a lot more for the story (last of us, mass effect trilogy)

It's the attention to detail & scope of the open world that I think has been set this high. From what I heard, the world was broken down in chunks & one person (or team) was responsible for that area (10 blocks I believe), so there is a ton of variety in buildings, billboards, graffiti, different lamp posts, etc.

Example, SRIV (I enjoyed that too, not bashing it), there is many many similar if not exactly the same buildings all over the landscape. Some of the street signs or posters are blurry.

Again, I don't want to come across like I'm hating on other games, or heaping endless praise on GTA, but I'm a bit strange, and I tend to pick up things like that (especially in movies, don't get me started on all the tiny levels of detail & background settings)

The world is more polished and varied in GTAV than others, but I'd love more freedom within missions, especially the heists. I also miss the vertical travel abilities and weapons/items that are just for insane fun from some of the other open world games. The Gerry can was a great little way to add some spice, just needed more of that.

5 is incredible. SR4 was fun, but so massively buggy that it destroyed my GT, so it gets several points knocked off for that. Not to mention all the other times it hung, glitched, crashed, etc. Game was far from the polished masterpiece 5 is, I've had almost no issues with 5 save for 1 crash I had with it a couple of days ago. I wasn't really a big fan of Skyrim (and I've heard it has its fair share of buggies too). Looking forward to Watch Dogs, that looks really good, but to be honest I don't think it can match/top 5. I think it will be some time until something does.

only open world developer on par with Rockstar has been Ubisoft with the Assassins Creed games and Far Cry 3.

but in terms of GTA and its clones, theres still nobody on par with GTA 4, let alone now 5.

Sleeping Dogs was alright, good visuals and the martial arts combat was nice and a decent story.

as for Saints Row. ill let Major Nelson's XBL list history do the talkin.

I totally agree with Bigg. Next gen versions of TES and Fallout will be amazing, and I have a feeling with GTA5 using the maximum tech this gen allows, it's highly possible that early next gen games (Watch Dogs) could trump this.

I don't know...I'm looking forward to Watch Dogs, but I'm not excited for it. It looks good, but a little too ambitious and I don't think the world will be as detailed as GTA V. I could very well end up being completely wrong, so time will tell! I love my open world, action games. So I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with it regardless.

I don't know...I'm looking forward to Watch Dogs, but I'm not excited for it. It looks good, but a little too ambitious and I don't think the world will be as detailed as GTA V. I could very well end up being completely wrong, so time will tell! I love my open world, action games. So I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with it regardless.

Watchdogs looks awesome. That said, I'm not excited for it either. I'll be waiting for reviews. Ubisoft games to me, barring a few exceptions, are hugely ambitious but rarely all that fun.

I think now that it's done, there will be someone that will build on an idea and try to improve, just as it has always been with everything else in the world. They did build amazing and huge sandbox for us to play with and filled it with shit tons of stuff, but truth is with enough time and money, anyone can do the exact same thing or even better=D

Watchdogs looks awesome. That said, I'm not excited for it either. I'll be waiting for reviews. Ubisoft games to me, barring a few exceptions, are hugely ambitious but rarely all that fun.

Nice to see someone agree with me. Everyone seems to be really hyped. Granted, I've already pre-ordered for the sole fact that I want at least one game with my console on the 22nd. And since none of the launch titles look that spectacular, I'll have to settle for Ubi's new IP.

Just because there's a new generation of consoles coming out, doesn't mean they'll top GTA V easily. You're forgetting that Rockstar are in a league of their own.

Let's look at a few games as examples:

Just Cause 2 - Incredibly expansive map. Empty.

Far Cry 3 - Huge, detailed but very quickly tiring.

Mafia II - Very detailed, not much to do.

Sleeping Dogs - Detailed, fair amount to do, quickly tiring.

Assassin's Creed 3 - Large map, detailed but repetitive.

FUEL - Gigantic map, nothing in it.

GTA V - Huge map, very detailed, packed with content and a huge amount of things to do, if you can be creative enough to decide.

The bar won't be raised for a while, but it'll be directly copied for some time. How many games raised the bar after San Andreas? None. Volition ripped off of the game with Saint's Row and couldn't even come close. Just Cause 1 promised to be bigger than it, but failed to deliver any real gameplay. Even GTA IV couldn't match it. All of these games came out towards the beginning of new hardware life (Just Cause was also made for the current generation at the time). Watch Dogs does look amazing, but just how long before it becomes stale and dull? Ubisoft can make incredible games, but keeping you playing them for months to come isn't their strong suit. They are a modern AAA company (chuck 'em out, whet their appetite, do another), and there'll be a sequel to Watch Dogs before you know it.

What Rockstar have achieved here will only truly be bettered when Rockstar get to grips with the new technology available.