Either i'm doing somthing wrong, or..

thereefernander

This game just got really fucking hard. I just got to Gran Pulse and I literally ran past all of the monsters to the cave type area besides the "Mission 1" guy because he was easy and horribly attempting mission 2, because they were so difficult to defeat. Now i'm in the cave area with the Hoplites, and they are taking forever for me to take down! My curiosity caught the best of me and I wandered in the off-path and was met with a untimely fate to the Juggernaut. So I went the right way and there are two hoplites and some other beast I forgot the name of (looks like a hoplite with a accordion across it's head) and I can't get past them! I need some tips tricks for getting through the Gran Pulse!

lol Yes I too was like WTF! at how suddenly hard Gran Pulse was. I tried to grind when I first arrived there and everything was kicking my ass. A pack of wolves would rape me with Miasma. A behemoth King would kill me in one hit with Sunder. Those little penguin things would summon a bigass dog that would destroy me.

There's no tips or tricks to give you really. It's just that when you reach Gran Pulse, you really really need to spend a few hours grinding because the monsters will just destroy you.

Find some easy monsters that you can defeat and level up your characters. It really really helps because the final dungeon has some crazy hard monsters that you have to be able to defeat in order to get past them and there's no way you're gonna beat them if you don't grind.

Yea, grinding helps.

To defeat the 2 hoplites and the boxed phalanx (accordion dude), you have to kill the boxed phalanx first, otherwise it keeps summoning other hoplites to replace the ones you kill. Both enemies are weak with electricity and the boxed phalanx also weak against water. If you have TP, it doesn't hurt to call your eidolon

Juggernaut is rough even for maxed chars. As a new Chap. 11 guy, he will crush you. Avoid him.

Also the plains is pretty rough too.

The best thing to do is focus on the flans and the Vampires. Those Rust Flans are great for CP. So are the Hoplites (without the Boxed Phalanx). The Bombs are good for CP too. Live and die with COM area attacks.

It isn't something that you did wrong. Once you defeat Alexander in the Eidolon fight, the difficulty curve get significantly higher. Every enemy in Pulse are extremely tough (some even impossible at your level.) Just focus on taking down anyone that is smaller or equal to your height. Most enemies are a lot bigger than you, so it's wise not to fight those enemies.

Thanks for the advice guys, any specific characters/paradigms you suggest?

EDIT: also, and possibly more important Anyone got a specific strategy for taking down the hoplites fast? I try the com/rav/rav then rav/rav/rav but they always end up dying before I stagger them. (still takes a minute to do and I always get like 3 or >3 stars)

Edited by thereefernander

Thanks for the advice guys, any specific characters/paradigms you suggest?

EDIT: also, and possibly more important Anyone got a specific strategy for taking down the hoplites fast? I try the com/rav/rav then rav/rav/rav but they always end up dying before I stagger them. (still takes a minute to do and I always get like 3 or >3 stars)

If you prefer a set up squad, have Lightning as leader, followed by Sazh and either Vanille or Hope, though I prefer having Vanille over Hope (since he has the lowest HP of everyone.)

If you prefer an aggressive party, Lightning, Fang and Vanille.

It all depends on your play style.

I am in the tower with the three missions and the single beast-type monster is the only one I can defeat let alone 5-star. And skipping battles has grown to look to be a mistake, I never did before Gran Pulse but now I'm actually looking at my HP numbers and everyone is >2000 (around 17-1800) besides Hope who is a ridiculous 1400. I want to say getting Hope to learn Raise will help alot but not when he is the one getting pummeled. I don't think I have yet mastered SEN, or SYN because I rarely use them, I'm more of a aggressive attacker than a offensive player. I think I may be stuck here for a while.

I am in the tower with the three missions and the single beast-type monster is the only one I can defeat let alone 5-star. And skipping battles has grown to look to be a mistake, I never did before Gran Pulse but now I'm actually looking at my HP numbers and everyone is >2000 (around 17-1800) besides Hope who is a ridiculous 1400. I want to say getting Hope to learn Raise will help alot but not when he is the one getting pummeled. I don't think I have yet mastered SEN, or SYN because I rarely use them, I'm more of a aggressive attacker than a offensive player. I think I may be stuck here for a while.

You're going to need to learn to use SEN and SYN paradigms for some of the really tough bosses, so now is probably a good time to start practising, while you're boosting your cp a bit.

The good news is that when you beat the 3 missions you get to climb a bit higher up Taejin's tower. The bad new is - well you'll find out! :eek:

Well what I ended up doing was backtracking ALL the way back to the fields (which netted me about 50k CP) and started to grind up my CP more then I thought, while I'm here I should do some missions, well these helped a whole fucking lot with CP and I managed to get 1-14 done and then after I was satisfied, I teleported back to the Tower (I did mission 20 before hand) and then I got through the tower almost no problem. I used Light/Ven/Hope and used alot of com/rav/rav, rav/rav/rav, com/rav/med, rav/rav/med, etc. And when I got to the boss at the top I had to start using Hope's buffs, it took a few tries to actually defeat him but I did do it (in 9 minutes with 1 star -.-) Annnnnnd, now i'm stuck again at Barthandelus's rematch! He is so much more ridiculous than before!

EDIT: I also noticed a issue, Hope isn't casting enflame at all after everyone has the other 3 buffs, he just sits there. ?

I grinded throughout the whole game so when i got to gran pulse it was easyier than i thought it would b i was able to do all side-quest 1-17 b4 i went passed the cave to do the main storyline i cant believe ppl r havin this much trouble with this area b4 i left i was able to kill both big monsters right b4 the cave in like 1:25. just keep grinding i guess :)

Hope will only cast Enfire if the enemy is weak to fire, learn to start using Sab and fights will be a breeze.

Which would you rather have, an opponent that's at least twice as vulnerable (Imperil and Deshell usually sticks on bosses) so you'll end up doing more damage and ending the fight earlier or keep fighting a gruesome battle going defensive wasting time to heal and the buffs to wear off...

Hope will only cast Enfire if the enemy is weak to fire, learn to start using Sab and fights will be a breeze.

Which would you rather have, an opponent that's at least twice as vulnerable (Imperil and Deshell usually sticks on bosses) so you'll end up doing more damage and ending the fight earlier or keep fighting a gruesome battle going defensive wasting time to heal and the buffs to wear off...

Yea this is good advice my favorite is light,fang,hope as a med/sab/syn i usally start with this unless i know my enemy is really tough and i know i need a sent. then i use med/sent/syn i personally like buffs better haste makes battle go Alot quicker.

The difficulty spike was ridiculous! Going from 5 starring almost every battle to barely getting 3 is a shame. I got stuck in the caves for dare I say a week and all I was doing was grinding for CP. But I guess it worked out for the best because before I left the cave my active party had 4 stars on major classes and my other party members had a couple millions of CP which made the game ridiculously easy afterwards.

The difficulty spike was ridiculous! Going from 5 starring almost every battle to barely getting 3 is a shame. I got stuck in the caves for dare I say a week and all I was doing was grinding for CP. But I guess it worked out for the best because before I left the cave my active party had 4 stars on major classes and my other party members had a couple millions of CP which made the game ridiculously easy afterwards.

wow 1 week you serious?!!! When new places open up they are sometimes not to be ventured into right away =p Im glad I downloaded the guide =)

First, you know where the area with the two fighting giant monster things are?

From there, travel West (assuming that the monsters are to your east when you pop open the minimap). Eventually you'll reach a lower level area full of these annoying bird goblin things I don't know what the @#$% they are, they're white and small. Farm and kill these until you're decently strong. (You should have Stage 8 or 9 Crystarium by now).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSmd4386R_U&feature=related]YouTube- Final Fantasy XIII Gran Pulse power leveling spawns and quick gil[/ame]

Then, go back to the two monsters, and farm the behemoth near the save point till you're strong enough.

If Lightning + Fang have 2.2k+ Strength, and Hope has 2.2k+ Magic, farm the two monsters (COM-COM-RAV), you should be able to kill them in about 20-40 seconds I think. Great CP.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf-uFwoxm3Y&feature=search]YouTube- Final Fantasy XIII - CP Farming: Gran Pulse [HD][/ame]

---------

Just farm them or upgrade your accessories. For money, at this "early" stage, I wouldn't farm turtles, try chocobo digging.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5ya5MwtuY&feature=related]YouTube- Final Fantasy 13 - Gil Farming[/ame]

Thanks everyone, I'm post game now though, working on Missions, just did 1-50 (besides 32 and 33 which I gotta go back for) and I'm about to take on Atticus!

EDIT: That didn't work out too well, at least now I went and did those missions AND got my growth Egg :D it really wasn't that bad once Neo was out of the way -.- (thanks Square-Enix for Death) and it even took me less that 6 tries maybe.

I got my growth egg in chapter 11 thaxs 2 death :D there would have been no way i would have won that battle at the stage i was at lol i think death hit on 3rd try and had a full marbolo wand 4 Vanille that really is the key i believe.

ive just entered taijins tower after alot of grinding and debating backtracking to the archetype steppe and doing some more. would this be worth it as all my chars have 2 level 4 roles out of the 3 cores and im working on the third? or can i just keep grinding up the tower?