Should I believe all the hype

James110a

I've been tempted on more than one occasion to buy this when it's on sale, but something keeps turning me away. I think it's having to fight a zombie with a plant. So is it THAT good, should I believe the hype? Also, any other game you would compare this to?

personally i was in the same boat, i knew people who said this game was great and i was always seeing it on sale. i have always enjoyed tower defense games, and this looked like some sort of cheap variant.

eventually i caved and bought the game, overall its pretty good. i think its more enjoyable for people who are new to TD games, because its waaay too easy for me. the building system and lack of upgrades/builder makes this a watered down TD. the stale building stage with squares and enemies that go in a straight line (no mazes, instant fail). so overall its a good game from the fun standpoint, building and killing with little opposition. but as far as difficulty is concerned, this game was not made for players who are good with strategy games

• 1 month later...

I personally think this is one of the best XBLA games out there behind Peggle. It is easy to pick up and you will always want to play one more level. Play the demo because you play through 1/5 of the story on the demo. After the main game you have puzzle modes and such to complete as well, which are equally as fun. I think this game is very unique and I cannot really compare it to anything.

personally i was in the same boat, i knew people who said this game was great and i was always seeing it on sale. i have always enjoyed tower defense games, and this looked like some sort of cheap variant.

eventually i caved and bought the game, overall its pretty good. i think its more enjoyable for people who are new to TD games, because its waaay too easy for me. the building system and lack of upgrades/builder makes this a watered down TD. the stale building stage with squares and enemies that go in a straight line (no mazes, instant fail). so overall its a good game from the fun standpoint, building and killing with little opposition. but as far as difficulty is concerned, this game was not made for players who are good with strategy games

I have to agree with this. If you are new to TD games it is a good place to start, but it is not very challenging to people with a little more experience and skill. If you are looking for a bit more of a challenge, I recommend South Park Lets Go Tower Defense Game.

If I had to compare it to anything, it would have to be Costume Quest. Not the game play and genre, but Costume Quest is a very basic RPG and not challenging for more experienced RPG players, but despite this it still turned out to be quite fun and enjoyable even to some core RPG fans like myself.

With all that being said, it is an enjoyable game and I recommend buying it whilst it is on special. IMO it is not worth the full price of 1200 MS points but 600 is a fair deal so snatch it up whilst you can get it for half price :)

Edited by BluWolve

I own this game on PC and I've played it through at least 3 times. Although not a difficult TD game, it is very unique and inventive. It also offers plenty of post-game play with the mini-games. I bought this on sale at 600 MS points and I think it's worth every penny. If you want a fun and unique, albeit somewhat easy game, this one's for you.

If you want to get into TD games in general, the Xbox console isn't really where you want to be. I recommend a website called Kongregate. Check out Bloons TD, Cursed Treasure and Gemcraft. I've wasted away plenty an hour on those titles alone. Also, it's not on "Kong," but check out "Spiral Defense"... it's one of those games that I've spent hours trying to master.

Happy Gaming!

Yep, saw all the hype for this and just bought it on dotw and I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. The game is too easy and trying to get the cheevs just seems long and tedious now, alot of them are collecting money which they don't give enough of and you have to do the Zen garden, basically it feels like one of them kids games that come out on the Wii

I've been tempted on more than one occasion to buy this when it's on sale, but something keeps turning me away. I think it's having to fight a zombie with a plant. So is it THAT good, should I believe the hype? Also, any other game you would compare this to?

I would have to say "Yes" to the hype. I agree with everyone that the difficulty is quite simple to experienced TD gamers (and just all around gamers in general for that matter). But I kinda think that making the difficulty so simple was really the point. The great thing about Popcap Games as a developer/publisher is that most every game they release all display very good practices of organization and intuitive layouts in they're design that make them easy to pick up and play and can appeal to almost anyone. I am an avid gamer but have little to no experience with TD games, and so for me Plants vs Zombies was the perfect stepping stone at introducing me to the genre. It's simple yes, but now after having countless hours of enjoyment playing it I will likely start branching out and trying other TD games bc they are fun to me. If not for playing P vs Z, I likely would've never gotten into TD games so I applaud them for that.

Meh...I dunno, I'm personally a big fan of it. I liked the gameplay, and have a difficult time imagining that anyone who is saying it's too easy ever played much of the Survival Endless mode. :p For me, though, I think it was more the atmosphere of the game that I became a fan of than the game itself, if that makes sense.

• 2 months later...

I bought this game simply because it's fun. You have to use your brain a bit - but not too much. You can get all the achievements without too much trouble (alright, the survival mode will test you) but it's extremely addictive and you'll end up going back after you've completed it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought the same thing when it came out for PC. I figured it would be lame. But I broke down and tried the demo and quickly got addicted. Once you've done everything in it I don't find there is much replay value.

I recently rented this through GameFly during a free trial since it had been a long time since I played it for PC. With the achievements it made it a lot more fun and made me do things in it I had never done in the PC version.

• 1 month later...

This is an AWESOME game!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I was cynical first and kept skipping past it in the marketplace but eventually i caved. I'm really glad I did! The game is simple as previously stated but it really sucks you in, I've been keeping an eye out for the next in the series since it really rated as one of my fav arcade games. Do it! You won't regret it! :)

• 6 months later...