PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Party > Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
tastefulmrship

Sarone T C's Gamercard
The great 'Y' debate & how it affects YOU!

Ok, I've just lost out AGAIN to a question asking 'how many vowels in <this word>?'. In both occasions, the word had a Y in it. Now we all know Ys can be both vowel and consonant, but this game doesn't seem to distinguish between the two!

Example in point;

How many vowels in the word 'SYLLABLE'?
- You'd immediately think 2 (A & E), but the Y is a substitute for an I in this example, so the answer is 3!
- THE GAME'S ANSWER - 3

How many vowels in the name 'SIMON SAYS'?
- Again, you'd immediately go for 3 (I, O & A) & you'd be completely correct as the Y is now a consonant; the preceeding A is the active vowel.
- THE GAME'S ANSWER - 4

I missed my first f*cking million because of this dang-stupid oversight! I demand justice! For GREAT Justice!
tastefulmrship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
J.Waddo

WaDiNhO x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   Donator - Level 2   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   FIFA/Madden Subscribers Tourn. - First Place   3 on 3 NHL Arcade Subscribers Tourn. First Place   Call of Duty: WaW Subscribers Tourn. - Runner Up   x360a Book Club   1,000 Posts   Road Map - Bronze   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
That bastard simon says question got me out as well, I didn't know that in America Y can be a vowel

J.Waddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
iamtehwin
Banned User

IamTehwin's Gamercard
Dependent on how a Y is used it can be a vowel or not.

For instance if the letter Y is used in the word say it is silent meaning it is NOT a vowel and it is also in conjuntion with another vowel.

Now if it is used in the word Syllable it IS a vowel because it is being substituted as a I sound and not silent or connected to other vowels.

Needless to say I missed all these fucking questions too until I had someone much better at english explain this crap to me and then I probably didnt explain it as correctly as they did.

Im sure the other vowels hate Y as much as we do.
iamtehwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
AFxx16xxFalcon

I have a question like this almost every other game, so I would say just go with saying that "Y" is a vowel because 90% of the time it is. Also, if you still have your cheats, then use them, the kid is 95% of the time correct.
AFxx16xxFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote