Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox 360
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
Khalus Akuhei

Khalus Akuhei's Gamercard
Safe to leave 360 on for extended periods? {Falcon Model}

So I've done a bunch of searching through threads here, and many places on the web, but I can't seem to find any specific info regarding the new Falcon Chip 360 Model. All the info out there seems to only be about the older models.

As some of you may know that have talked with me or read my main greetings post I'm new to owning a 360, but I did a bit of research before I purchased one. After a short bit of asking a few stores, checking the web and calling Microsoft I found out how to see which models of 360s have the new Falcon Chip MB and Power Supply.

I did in fact make sure I got one, and the main question now is, "will leaving the system on for extended periods after use hurt or damage the system in any way?" I use the 360 alot for streaming TV shows & movies from my PC many hrs each day and have fallen asleep during or shortly after one of them ends playing sometimes. Which in result ends up having my system sitting on overnight for as many as 8-10 hrs.

Over the years from a friends store I've been able to feel the heat that was produced from a normal 360 prior to the Falcon Chip and it was insanely hot many times even during short plays in an open area. However now that I have the new Falcon Chip Model and the system is in a somewhat smallish confined area inside my TV center. There is an opening in back and I leave the glass door open when its on so there is plenty of air flow.

I've noticed though that even after extended playtimes and leaving it on overnight it just barely gets luke warm to the touch and hardly generates any heat, both the system and the power brick which is sitting outside the TV center.

Anyway, large block of text, hopefully someone can point me to more info on this or has a Falcon Chip Model as well and can help with my question...
Khalus Akuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
QueenFragger000

GoingPostal000's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Even people with the Falcon chip are reporting RRoD. I would not leave it on for extended periods.

You do have a 3 year warranty, but who wants to go a month without their box?

The other thing you can do, which I do too, is change the settings (somewhere, I can't remember where)...so that it will shut itself off sooner when there is no activiy. I think you can set that for an hour or two and it will auto shut off. Try that.

Or..if you absolutely must use it as you describe, get two of them. Have the spare for if and/or when yours dies...and keep sending them back and forth. If I really wanted to use the hell out of mine like that, that's probably what I would do.

Road to Seriously 3.0: 30/65 Onyx medals

RIP QueenFragger000 account with 25,000 gamerscore points.

QueenFragger000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
Khalus Akuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenFragger000 View Post

The other thing you can do, which I do too, is change the settings (somewhere, I can't remember where)...so that it will shut itself off sooner when there is no activiy. I think you can set that for an hour or two and it will auto shut off. Try that.

Or..if you absolutely must use it as you describe
Ahh, just checked and there is an auto-shutdown after 6 hrs of inactivity that I just turned on. ...and no I don't want the system sitting on if it can be damaged, its just sometimes I do fall asleep during or after a show and its been staying on.

If there is a way to change it to turn off after 1-2 hrs that would be even better but I only see a 6hr setting.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
StolenKyle/

Send a message via AIM to StolenKyle/ Send a message via MSN to StolenKyle/

KyleDDx's Gamercard
I want to get the "Party Like its 1999" but I'm scared of leaving my xbox on for that long.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
Simzo

Send a message via MSN to Simzo Send a message via Skype™ to Simzo

I Are Simon's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Word of Mouth   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenKyle/ View Post
I want to get the "Party Like its 1999" but I'm scared of leaving my xbox on for that long.
Yeah that's the exact same for me, i really wanna get it but i dunno if i should leave it on for 8+ hours..

Simzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:58 AM   #6
Inferno
Banned User

xl infern0 lx's Gamercard
lul newbs

I left my Falcon on every day for like 10 hours during the summer (was nothing else to do. ). Sadly, she died on 1st of November 2008. I got her in May 2008. So yeah, I don't recommend it.. (The console has E74 btw, not RRoD, that is GPU/Scaler chip failure - half of what causes the RRoD.)

At 10 hours a day, it still lasted 5 months-ish.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:05 AM   #7
Khalus Akuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
lul newbs

I left my Falcon on every day for like 10 hours during the summer (was nothing else to do. ). Sadly, she died on 1st of November 2008. I got her in May 2008. So yeah, I don't recommend it.. (The console has E74 btw, not RRoD, that is GPU/Scaler chip failure - half of what causes the RRoD.)

At 10 hours a day, it still lasted 5 months-ish.
Well good to know...hopefully in the NXE there will be lower time settings than just 6 hrs. A 1hr would be great for when I watch a 42min TV show and then fall asleep...heh
Old 11-16-2008, 01:38 AM   #8
isw42

isw42's Gamercard
I bought my system new in October of 2007. I leave my system on quite a bit b/c of movies I'm watching and then I fall asleep, downloads, or going for time achievements (someone mentioned Party Like It's 1999). I have never experienced any problems or excessive heat. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't feel that it is that harmful. It's kind of like leaving a computer on for a long time (which I'm pretty sure most people do- power wasters! lol).
isw42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:41 AM   #9
Inferno
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by isw42 View Post
I bought my system new in October of 2007. I leave my system on quite a bit b/c of movies I'm watching and then I fall asleep, downloads, or going for time achievements (someone mentioned Party Like It's 1999). I have never experienced any problems or excessive heat. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't feel that it is that harmful. It's kind of like leaving a computer on for a long time (which I'm pretty sure most people do- power wasters! lol).
It's exactly like leaving a computer on, but it's more of a very small, cramped computer with 2 shitty fans and 2 heat sinks. You can't do anything to the cooling without voiding the warranty, unfortunately. Therefore it dies faster. If you're going to do it once in a while I don't see the problem..
Old 11-16-2008, 03:24 AM   #10
isw42

isw42's Gamercard
Quote:
It's exactly like leaving a computer on, but it's more of a very small, cramped computer with 2 shitty fans and 2 heat sinks. You can't do anything to the cooling without voiding the warranty, unfortunately. Therefore it dies faster. If you're going to do it once in a while I don't see the problem..
I heard there was a "platform" of sorts you could buy that the Xbox sits on top of and it cools it without utilizing any USB ports or feeding off of the power supply in any way. Not sure what it's called, I'd have to do some digging. Apparently, this does not void your warranty. I have not gotten the RRoD death...yet...lol
isw42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:52 AM   #11
StarmanX22

Send a message via AIM to StarmanX22

iTz ST4RM4N's Gamercard

Awards Showcase SOTF Runner Up
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
i leave mine on all day..alot..even when not being used... lately ivbeen trying to turn it off when im not using it... iv had it for alomst a year now. (11 months) and have not gotten RRoD yet.. hope i dont anytime soon.. i do have the fan thing u can buy.. it helps keep it cool alot.. but if mine does get RRoD i do plan on going strait to Microsoft's HQ here in washington and yell at them for making such a shitty console that over heats too easily then make them fix it.. :P j/k

StarmanX22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:45 AM   #12
Khalus Akuhei

Not worried about the heat, as I stated this new model barely gets luke warm if even that; after being on for more than 10+ hrs. Just wondering if sitting idle or whatever would hurt it or not, but I'm guessing its all just luck based on the responses so far!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
eXyle

eXyle NL's Gamercard
You have these laptop cooling plates on which you can place your Xbox, but I've played games for 8 hours straight and nothing happened to my Xbox so it shouldn't really be a problem.

eXyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
Bahamut

Send a message via AIM to Bahamut Send a message via MSN to Bahamut

Bahamut XIII's Gamercard

Awards Showcase SOTF Winner
I always leave mine on idle, it's doing so right now and I've only had the RRoD once maybe twice (Can't remember exactly how many) and I've had the 360 since release date so breaking down the math my 360's last around a year and a half? How the hell long has the 360 been around, 3-4 years?

Don't know what the Falcon Model is tho so I could have the other one who knows.
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #15
UK Mylo

UK Mylo's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenKyle/ View Post
I left mine on for 40 hours straight and it was fine, but the risk is yours to take.
UK Mylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #16
radar616

Send a message via MSN to radar616

Radar616's Gamercard
falcon model or not, I wouldn't leave it on. The way M$ has designed the xbox means its not very efficent at getting rid of heat. Many people have said for the 360 to be "cool" when running, it needs better fans and they need to be running at 100% all the time the machine is on.

radar616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #17
xxdanielt3

Send a message via AIM to xxdanielt3 Send a message via Yahoo to xxdanielt3

Skittttttles v1's Gamercard
Well i've had my Xbox since the first day it came out. I play intense gaming on it like 8-10 hours a day, and mine still hasnt broken yet. I would not recommend keeping it on that long, but it had no harm for me.

I guess i've just had good luck.
xxdanielt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #18
MyAbsolution

MyAbsolution's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXyle View Post
You have these laptop cooling plates on which you can place your Xbox, but I've played games for 8 hours straight and nothing happened to my Xbox so it shouldn't really be a problem.
Thats what I use amongst other things.

Safe cooling systems ftw.

I just left my Xbox 360 on for at least 15 hours (Party like its 1999 - GoW2) and the thing stays at about 75 degree heat for the air, which is fantastic.

*First NTSC Console to Reach 1100G in North America*
*First Worldwide to 1250G in Enslaved: Odyssey to the West*
& 2nd Worldwide to complete 200/200 Vigilante 8: Arcade
MyAbsolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #19
dm master

DM Master's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I leave mine on overnight regularly to download stuff and its fine.. i also play for extended periods of time (up to like 10 hours) and it is fine..

If your box is going to break this will just speed it a little..
dm master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #20
Philly46
Banned User

Philly46's Gamercard
Psh, just use it however you see fit. If it's going to die or RRoD then it's going to happen, my 06 360 takes a lot of abuse from extended bouts of play to being left on overnight for GOW2.
Philly46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:03 AM   #21
Decland Hatcher

Deccy Hatcher's Gamercard
It's fine to be quite honest, my brother has left his console on for 40 hour+ for Viva Pinata & Party Like It's 1999, 100 hour + for C&C3. Unless his hasn't broke down purely by chance, I think your box will survive.

Decland Hatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:30 AM   #22
Inferno
Banned User

BTW, Falcons have a safety feature built in.. If they reach a certain temperature they automatically shut themselves off..
Old 11-17-2008, 01:33 AM   #23
Skillet

Send a message via MSN to Skillet

Skillet x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   x360a Representer   Staff Club - Skillet   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   A+ Thread Award   Road Map - Bronze   Word of Mouth   SOTF Runner Up   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
I once left my 360 idle while I went to sleep...

Long story short, woke up to rrod.

So I wouldn't leave it on for 8 to 10 hours...

Read them.... apply them.

Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:18 AM   #24
Yann

Yannak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Everyones 360 is different. I've played mine basically 2-6 hours a day since I got it back from the repair shop in November 2007 and it hasnt bricked on me yet. It's defintley on it's last legs though so I hope it survives until Christmas.

If you're going to add me over XBL, send me a message saying you're from here please, or I wont accept!
Yann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:38 AM   #25
cincychaos

Send a message via AIM to cincychaos

skinnedlion's Gamercard
you could also get some cooling device, even if it is just a fan pointing at the back of your box...or away from the back of your box. recently, i've been playing my box almost nonstop, and it hasn't had a problem. granted, i just got it back not too long ago, but whatever.
cincychaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:41 AM   #26
StarmanX22

Send a message via AIM to StarmanX22

iTz ST4RM4N's Gamercard

Awards Showcase SOTF Runner Up
will a regular laptop fan work by pluging it in the USB slot?

if so sweet i could use my cooler.. get 2 fans on it...

how do u tell if you have a falcon chip?

StarmanX22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:49 AM   #27
cincychaos

Send a message via AIM to cincychaos

skinnedlion's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarmanX22 View Post
will a regular laptop fan work by pluging it in the USB slot?
as long as it would draw the same amount of power and not overload the system, seems like it would work alright, but there is always a risk when using a non-system product like that
cincychaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:28 AM   #28
Khalus Akuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarmanX22 View Post
how do u tell if you have a falcon chip?
Easiest way is to check the wattage on the power brick, if its 175w you have a falcon model, the older systems run at 203w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincychaos View Post
you could also get some cooling device
Don't need a cooling device, as the falcon model barely even gets luke warm, seriously it runs extremely cool, even the power brick barely generates any heat.

Quote:
BTW, Falcons have a safety feature built in.. If they reach a certain temperature they automatically shut themselves off..
Now thats a neat feature I didn't know about, but as I've said many times the system barely generates any heat so that must be for ppl that lock their system up with no air flow...hehe