Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Eternal Sonata
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-07-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
Gumby™

Gifted Gumby's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Should I buy?

Hi, I'm thinking about purchasing this game, mainly because I need a new RPG in my library. I love the concept behind it (the music), and I enjoyed the demo.
Is there any huge hindering flaw or glitch that prevents it from being enjoyable/completable? How long does it take to finish the first play-through?
To those of you who own it, was it worth the purchase?

Gumby™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
EOU Findub

EOU Findub's Gamercard

Hmmm, well, first off I am going to say I didn't personally like it...but you will find more people that liked ES than disliked it, so I am definitely in the minority.

As far as the glitches or flaws...nah. There really isn't any. It is a SUPER SIMPLE RPG in the way that there really isn't any customizable aspects that blow you away. Your characters look exactly the same throughout the entire game, which I thought was super weak.

It took me a little under 30 hours to finish my first playthrough. Simple as that. The second playthrough actually took a little less time, under 25 hours. I skipped all cutscenes and warped everywhere I could really fast.

If you can find it for $20.00 or less, I would say it is a great pick-up. Took a long time to finally get 1k on this. Just wasn't interested enough in this game to finish it. Wouldn't pay anything over 20 for this...BUT, that is just my opinion. If you love RPGs...you should pick it up.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
TatteredRagDoll

TatteredRagDoll's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOU Findub View Post
If you can find it for $20.00 or less, I would say it is a great pick-up. Took a long time to finally get 1k on this. Just wasn't interested enough in this game to finish it. Wouldn't pay anything over 20 for this...BUT, that is just my opinion. If you love RPGs...you should pick it up.
It is new enough that I seriously doubt you'll find it for $20, unless you look on eBay or something.

I actually got it for free, as I won it off a Facebook application. I actually picked it since I had seen all the positives reviews, and at the time I couldn't find it at my local GameStop. Even if I had not won it, I would have totally paid full price for it.

If you're going for achievements, it will probably take 2-3 play-throughs, if not more.

I personally love this game. Have you tried Eternal Sonata yet? If so, and if you liked it, you will probably enjoy Tales of Vesperia.

EDIT: for some reason I thought I was posting in the Tales of Vesperia forum... that's what I get for opening multiple forums at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire3540 View Post
I mean comon everyone knows africa is mainly comprised of African Americans....

Last edited by TatteredRagDoll; 12-21-2008 at 12:00 PM.
TatteredRagDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Xzero

Alteruser Xzero's Gamercard
If you like the demo, go for the game. It takes about 20- 25 hours to beat I believe. But you only can get a max of 340 points in that play through so if you want more than that you need two playthroughs.

Oh yeah I won't pay more than $40 for it but if you can find it for $30 that will probably be the best price for it.
Xzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
gutshotenigma

Gutshotenigma's Gamercard
I Picked this up today on offer with Assassins creed
goth both for 20 pounds.
pretty happy with that

gutshotenigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
SynysterMonkey

Send a message via ICQ to SynysterMonkey Send a message via AIM to SynysterMonkey Send a message via MSN to SynysterMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to SynysterMonkey

Lady Gaga x Syn's Gamercard

Well if you're going for achievements, I would rent it as they are all achieved through the story. If it's for fun, then I would buy it.

Race To 50,000

vs.

SynysterMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:49 PM   #7
MadMartign

Send a message via AIM to MadMartign Send a message via MSN to MadMartign

MadMartign's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
i just started playing this... and i gotta say, while it is a fairly simple RPG, the animation and music are awesome, as well as the overall art style. It's a really nice game.

RETAIL 1000's
Fight Night Round 3, Oblivion (1250), Top Spin 2, Tenchu Z, Crackdown (1250), CoD4, Enchanted Arms, Kingdom Under Fire: Circle Of Doom, Rainbow 6 Vegas 2, Condemned, NBA 2k7, Fable II, Ninety Nine Nights,CoD MW2, Dante's Inferno, Halo: Reach, Assassin's Creed II,
ARCADE 200's
Castlevania:SOTN, Worms, Carcassonne, N+, DR2: Case Zero

MadMartign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
TatteredRagDoll

TatteredRagDoll's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynysterMonkey View Post
Well if you're going for achievements, I would rent it as they are all achieved through the story. If it's for fun, then I would buy it.
Which requires you to playthrough twice... so renting may not be the best option for an achievement whore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire3540 View Post
I mean comon everyone knows africa is mainly comprised of African Americans....

TatteredRagDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
bman10030

bonzo 96's Gamercard
I found this on amazon brand new for 10 dollars. Now usually, the cases of games that cheap on there are like slashed and look like a cat got at it, but for whatever reason, it was the most flawless game I'm ever seen in my entire life. I'm almost in shock.

Btw, I'm talking about the case, not the actual game.

The actual game is good. Polka's voice is a little annoying though. So I turned on the Japanese voice.
Dash of Destruction (lol)
N+
Sonic the Hedgehog
Soul Calibur

1000/1000
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
Halo 3 (Not including new achievements)
bman10030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:15 AM   #10
ParoXyzm

paroXyzm's Gamercard
I actually got 1000/1000 on this game in 1 week, borrowed it from library and loved the game so i just... maxed it. Lol. Still a great game, switch it to Japanese instead of english, if i didn't rent it i would've bought it. 40 bucks sounds reasonable to me.

As you can see below, my gamer picture is from ES lol x)

ParoXyzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
Rosalie

RosalieYoshi's Gamercard
I bought my xbox 360 just to be able to play the game
Rosalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
Creazil

iCreazil UK's Gamercard
I played the demo to this, with the fact I've helplessly loved FFXIII-2 and Tales of Vesperia, but I wasn't sure. The battle system is very different and it told no story on the demo. I'm real unsure whether to get this. It looks beautiful, but I really don't know.

Creazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #13
Ceris
Why So Ceris-nya?

Tragic Melody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Ceris   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff - Collectibles Guide Team   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creazil View Post
I played the demo to this, with the fact I've helplessly loved FFXIII-2 and Tales of Vesperia, but I wasn't sure. The battle system is very different and it told no story on the demo. I'm real unsure whether to get this. It looks beautiful, but I really don't know.
I just finished my 1st playthrough of this, and I loved this (along with FFXIII-2 like you said). The battle system gets a bit repetitive, but it really became obvoius when I needed to fight for a few hours going through the optional dungeon. The game actually spreads out the combat relatively far apart with 15-20min cutscenes, so the repetitiveness didn't seem like much of an issue. I loved the story, but then again, I am pleased with pretty much anything with a fantasy based storyline. If you can get this game for $20 or less, it is definitely a good buy for RPG fans.

Helping Hand Award Nominations || Please disable your ad blocker for XBA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech
An ad blocker prevents the ad from loading in the first place, and the counter is on the ad's side, not the site's. As such, an ad blocker stops the increment from going up and no revenue is generated as a result of your page views.
Ceris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
CiaranChan

ciaran chan's Gamercard
Oooh, this thread got bumped four years... But considering that it's a common question... :3

As far as I've seen, people either love or hate this game.

In my case, I loved it, but then again I am a huge fan of JRPGs.
If you are going to be buying it for the music though, it's not really worth it. I did a lot of trouble to get this game because besides JRPGs, I'm a big Chopin fan. However besides being able to play a character called Chopin and some music cuts with info about his life (which I personally liked), it's really just another JRPG.

The rather quaint story line really had me going. The game play was fun and the insane amount of playable characters was a nice addition.
CiaranChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #15
the_sconnie

the sconnie's Gamercard
I, too, feel I must post on this old-ass thread come to life!

I bought this game for Christmas for myself and will be starting it this weekend, hence my reason on the forums. I just finished playing Bully... hehe, that game's fun.

Anyway, I bought ES on ebay for less than $20 I think.

I'm a fan of this style of RPG and I also like Chopin's music... here's hoping I like it!

Yeah, I'm ranked 452nd in Virginia... what of it?!

Currently working on: Red Dead Redemption/Undead Nightmare

100%: Plants Vs. Zombies, Bully
the_sconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #16
metalsteelix

Send a message via Skype™ to metalsteelix

ChaoticFantasyX's Gamercard
May i join the party?

If your a rpg lover like I am, definitly buy it. It may have a strange storyline but if you've played all Final Fantasy games it doesn't matter ;D

Like I stated before on another thread somewhere in this forums, they could have done the division better. What is the use in getting Claves at the very end of the game? Which makes it even worse that she's one of the best characters ingame O_o. And the money... I had like 20000 money after the first boss because of photo's. Could have done that better Namco :3

Thanks to Gackt for this AMAZING sig ^^

Youtube: BokxieFTW
XBL: ChaoticFantasyX
Steam: Bokxie
3DS: 3110-4834-1382 (Nintendo Network ID: Bokxie)
Playfire: BokxieFTW
metalsteelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
gorene

gorene's Gamercard
It's a very fun game and it is a lot different from any other RPG I've ever played. The combat is fun, the story is compelling and it's goal is not the typical "Save the world" shtick you get with most games nowadays.
gorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Since it was a LONG time ago since the OP made this thread, I wonder if he/she bought the game or not?

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote