Silly question...are the capitals identified with something?

Yeah...there's been a few times that I attacked a civ, thinking I was toppling their capital, only to realize that I was going after a regular city instead.

With some of the obsecure civs, I don't know what the capital is right away, like I do with the French or Germans for example.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Yes the capitals are done with historical references. Egyptians have got Thebes, Aztecs, teohticuan, romans : Rome,...

And I don't think there is something to identify them. But game after game you will recognize and remember them.

if any unit in the attacking square has the scout upgrade, you'll see the defense level of who you're attacking. The capitals have "palace" which adds 50% to defense.

• 3 weeks later...

Here ya go:

English - London

Egyptians - Thebes

Aztec - Tenochtitlan

Greeks - Athens

Spanish - Madrid

Germans - Berlin

Romans - Rome

Russians - Moscow

Chinese - Beijing

Americans - Washington

French - Paris

Indians - Delhi

Arabs - Tripoli

Zulus - Zimbabwe

Mongolian - Karakorum

Japanese - Kyoto

• 3 months later...

Yeah Brutal's solution is probably the easiest. Though I am surprised that it is difficult to figure out which one is the capital for you. The only one I had trouble with was Japan because I just assumed it would be Tokyo and forgot about Kyoto. Anyway as it was mentioned above you will eventually remember them, and thanks to Sand there is also a list. I would also suggest a history class or two, they can be interesting.