PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Last Remnant
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #1501
Masterclone

TynaeveX's Gamercard
I feel i have to do a litte update on my unions just cause how well it's going (jinx). Currently i'm BR 43, grinding in AR. 5482 HP (Rush and Baulson), 6410 HP (Torgal and Glenys), 5332 HP (Emmy and Caedmon) .

I guess the reason Torgal and Glenys is so far ahead of the others are cause they stat up fast and Glenys got a 20% hp Accessory. My other problem with Torgals Leraje princep also sorted itself. I guess i was lucky and had materials and he got Amoeba eyes during a sidequest at the right time cause as soon as he hit 34 he had switched out Leraje Princeps for Seere

Love the tip of the lone rockgrater union FF7 King . It's working great.

Edit: Now BR 48 and i almost gained 1000 HP on my unions. Think i pretty much capped glenys, she either gets intellect or no stat upgrade for the last few battles now. With 6 and 7k hp on my unions i think i can beat holy servant. Would it hurt me if i beat him at br 48?

Last edited by Masterclone; 09-18-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Masterclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #1502
FF7 King

FF7 King's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterclone View Post
I feel i have to do a litte update on my unions just cause how well it's going (jinx). Currently i'm BR 43, grinding in AR. 5482 HP (Rush and Baulson), 6410 HP (Torgal and Glenys), 5332 HP (Emmy and Caedmon) .

I guess the reason Torgal and Glenys is so far ahead of the others are cause they stat up fast and Glenys got a 20% hp Accessory. My other problem with Torgals Leraje princep also sorted itself. I guess i was lucky and had materials and he got Amoeba eyes during a sidequest at the right time cause as soon as he hit 34 he had switched out Leraje Princeps for Seere

Love the tip of the lone rockgrater union FF7 King . It's working great.

Edit: Now BR 48 and i almost gained 1000 HP on my unions. Think i pretty much capped glenys, she either gets intellect or no stat upgrade for the last few battles now. With 6 and 7k hp on my unions i think i can beat holy servant. Would it hurt me if i beat him at br 48?
That was lucky! Now he will continue the upgrade chain to Halphas Dominus. Hopefully he will not swap it out for Gremoy instead, like he did for me. Either way, it's great he fixed that bug himself at such an early BR.

Glad it worked so well for you too =D It's the best way to increase your stats until you get access to the Ancbolders. Personally, I was nearly fully capped by the time I went on to fight Holy Servant because of those dudes. Everyone goes on and on about the Ancbolders but I feel the Rockgraters is where it's at. You will get the chunk of your stats on them.

It's no surprise she capped at that BR, she is maxed even faster if you're using her, which you are. Even in the reserves she is still first to full stats and the first for a Weapon Art. She definitely carries whatever union she is in for pretty much the whole game.

Your stats are looking very good. Go ahead and try Holy Servant now. I'm pretty sure you may actually beat him with those HPs. If you're having trouble, split to four unions and try again. Use Blizzard formation if you have it as that one is the best, aside from Dragontail II which you will mostl likely only use on AC. What BR were you when you first started grinding in AR? To have stats like that on BR 48 you must have began quite early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohabus View Post
Using words like "suck", "blows", and any variation of the word "tard" are just going to make you look like an immature idiot. I mean, we don't want to give the impression that the vast majority of Xbox Live players are obnoxious, unintelligent, crybabies, do we? Oh...wait...
FF7 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:45 AM   #1503
NarrBitaYarr

NarrBitaYarr's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
First off, I'd just like to send a big thank you out to FF7 King, you have been very helpful answering people across these forums, even long after you have the game completed. You = Awesome.

You also cleared up some things I was wondering about, like mystic arts being used for recovery arts, I would not have guess that TBH!
I do, however, have some other questions...

I'm absolutely getting my ass handed to me against the Holy Servant; I stopped grinding at BR60, with 4 unions at around 4000hp a piece. I've tried fighting him with 3 and 4 unions, but to no avail... it seems like my teams can never heal each other at the right times, and will NEVER ressurect each other for some reason.
I'm guessing that I'll still need to grind around for a bit before fighting him... but I think that I'll need second chance and kiss of life in order to stay alive long enough, as my damage output just isn't enough... so I'm thinking about continuing the rockgraters grind until around 65-70, then getting those necessary recovery arts... but if anyone thinks this is a bad idea, please help!

I should also note that I have another concern... I'm sorry to continually banter the forums with questions, but I feel like I need to do everything correctly in this game in order to 1000g it...
So, my Rush character has been using a midsize, 1-handed sword the entire game... but I think that it be more beneficial to switch to a two-handed polearm. Is it too late?

Thanks in advance,
~Narr

P.S. I <3 Rock Band!

My Rock Band Solo Scores
!
NarrBitaYarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #1504
vinnievegaz

vinnievegaz's Gamercard
From what ive been able to put together Rush doesnt matter what he uses really since omnistrike and gift is pretty much his bread and butter. Mines using 2 1 handed swords right now just cause. I will prolly trade down to just a single 1 hander into powergrip formation if i do the rush only skill grind.

Last edited by vinnievegaz; 09-19-2009 at 06:01 AM.
vinnievegaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #1505
Masterclone

TynaeveX's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF7 King View Post

Your stats are looking very good. Go ahead and try Holy Servant now. I'm pretty sure you may actually beat him with those HPs. If you're having trouble, split to four unions and try again. Use Blizzard formation if you have it as that one is the best, aside from Dragontail II which you will mostl likely only use on AC. What BR were you when you first started grinding in AR? To have stats like that on BR 48 you must have began quite early.
I started grinding in AR at BR 37, but i had good stats to start with also since everthing went good on disc 1. Grinded Skull scavangers BR 7 -> 10, did nest of eagles, then grinded skull scavangers from 12 -> 29. Finished all sidequests and disc 1.did fornstrand and started to grind AR.

With 1 try at Holy Servant without setting up formations to good i got him blinking red before i failed
Old 09-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #1506
Brand New Archer

Deecs259's Gamercard
First off, I'd like to say this entire forum has been a big help to me in progressing through what is a really good game, with really frustrating mechanics that caused me to need to restart (like almost everyone else it seems!) lol.

I've read through most of the posts on this thread and there is one thing I'm still unsure of; I know linking creatures is bad, but does the chain count affect your battle rank at all? I'm asking because I beat Ymir last night (did it first time but the battle took ages!) and had a battle against the lone rockgrater group and got a massive stat boost. So now before I continue I'd like to know if I need to just run into it to give it an enemy advantage to stop my BR climbing too quickly, or am I fine, timeshifting and pulling it into battle?

Once again, cheers for all the help that you guys have given all us lurkers on this game, and (hopefully) you'll be glad to know that you spurred me to join what seems to be one of the friendliest forum communities I've found.

BNA
Brand New Archer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #1507
NarrBitaYarr

NarrBitaYarr's Gamercard

Welcome to the site, BNA!

From what I can tell (which might not be all right, lol), it makes no difference for the after-battle stats whether you were pulled into battle or forced it yourself, it will only put you at a disadvantage when fighting. I was forced into many a battle against rockgraters while in a sleep-deprived state, and nothing really changed for me, not even the loot.

Also, the chains seems to be just a marking of how many individual enemies you have killed while on a map, but again, I don't think that it affects the stats or loot outcome.

What has been working for me while in the AR is just what the stat-grinding guide states, which is to kill the 3 rockgrater enemies, return to the previous floor, and save/reload until you are comfortable enough to defeat the Holy Servant (which I have yet to beat... and I am at BR 60), who is a dirty, dirty beast. I will most likely be grinding recovery arts before slaying him.

Just out of my own curiousity, what kind of stats do your unions have? I would like to know from someone who seems to be in the same boat as me, at the same spot and the like!

P.S. I <3 Rock Band!

My Rock Band Solo Scores
!
Old 09-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #1508
Brand New Archer

Deecs259's Gamercard
Thanks for the reply NarrBitaYarr, it's good to know I can chain them and not have to worry, I've not been following the stat guide exactly and have probably been pulled into a few too many random battles, so I'm not as strong as I could be but here are my party stats, all unions have 2 leaders and 3 soldiers:

Rush & Baulson: 3261HP, +44/254AP, Atk 71, Def 25, Mys 52, M. Def 19
Torgal & Caedmon: 3099HP, +44/258AP, Atk 71, Def 23, Mys 54, M. Def 17
Emmy & Glenys: 2933HP, +44/258AP, Atk 69, Def 23, Mys 59, M.Def 23

and my BR is 40 or 41 can't remember exactly.

Knowing it doesn't matter about chaining means I can go and stat grind for a bit now though, thanks!
Brand New Archer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #1509
NarrBitaYarr

NarrBitaYarr's Gamercard

Your stats look great for this point in time, much better than mine were then! Turns out I've been pulled into more random battles than I probably should have! lol
But yeah dude, you are most definitely on the right track to owning whatever steps in your way.

But yeah, just so we are crystal on this, when I say chains, I means the soon-to-be large number on the top right-hand side of your screen, not to be confused with LINKS which are multiple monster encounters! Because, you definitely want to fight monsters individually. Some people suggest fighting a lone rockgrater, then returning after the save/reload trick, rinse and repeat. To me, I felt confident that I could tear up the tougher encounters without losing people, so I went for clearing that room every time, and it worked out good for me

P.S. I <3 Rock Band!

My Rock Band Solo Scores
!
Old 09-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #1510
FF7 King

FF7 King's Gamercard

@ NarrBitaYarr

You’re very welcome, I’m happy to help. It’s just good to know that I can be of any assistance =D

Admitedly, your stats are a bit lower than what they should be for that BR but it’s not too late. It’s quite a gamble with the healing and the resurrecting, especially when you’re missing important Restore skills like Second Chance and Kiss of Life. I would suggest grinding a bit more, but not too much. Try grinding until BR 63-65 and try again. Don’t go to 70. If you can’t kill him then, you should probably head off to Robelia and start grinding those Landworms for your arts.

Hey no need to apologize, it’s fine. Understandably, everyone worries about this stuff in TLR because the game mechanics are so backwards and it’s really easy to make a mistake. One-handed is still a good style, but you would have been better off dual-wielding or taking on a power grip. You can still get some great combat arts with one handed though. If you’ve built up lots of arts with that weapon and it’s a +1 or +2, then don’t change it. You’ll just learn basic arts for the new weapon when you could be getting very high level ones for your current one handed.

@ VinnieVegaz

Exactly. As I’ve said before, it doesn’t matter what weapons Rush uses or if he even has a weapon art. You don’t need them. Omnistrike and Talisman are all that's necessary. Let your leaders do the damage for you.

@ MasterClone

That was a very good fight. If you don’t win in the next attempt, then grind for another 2 BR to BR 50 and you will own him.

@ NarBitaYarr again, and BrandNewArcher

You can kill all three groups if you want, it doesn’t make much of a difference to your stats. I just recommend killing the single Grand Rockgrater union because he's on his own. It’s an easier fight and you will almost never have a unit die in the battle.

Quote:
Using words like "suck", "blows", and any variation of the word "tard" are just going to make you look like an immature idiot. I mean, we don't want to give the impression that the vast majority of Xbox Live players are obnoxious, unintelligent, crybabies, do we? Oh...wait...

Last edited by FF7 King; 09-19-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #1511
FF7 King

FF7 King's Gamercard

Oh and, welcome to the forums BrandNewArcher! =D

Quote:
Old 09-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #1512
loyaltrekie

Quote:
If you do decide to just grind on the one Grand Rockgrater group, here are some tips on how to determine which of the three in the room it is. Upon entering, if the enemies form a triangle shape: it is usually the one on the LEFT. If two of the enemies hang at the back and one at the front, it is usually the one at the FRONT. If the enemies form a diagonal pattern, it is usually the one on the LEFT. These are not 100% accurate, but that is the way I analyzed it when I was looking for the single Grand Rockgrater union.
Hope it helps!
I managed to only get a few non Grand uniouns doing the above. A lot better to take on a single grand unioun and save reloading - rather then defeating the entire room IMHO. At least in the beginning parts of this grind; towards the end it won't make a huge difference, I don't think. Either way, about to finish up this part and moving onto the next. Luckily it's not all that boring if you set your thing to auto critcial offense/defense and set commands then read while it executes; lol.

Quote:
Hey no need to apologize, it’s fine. Understandably, everyone worries about this stuff in TLR because the game mechanics are so backwards and it’s really easy to make a mistake.

This x1000. The game is ass backwards if you ask me; I rarely ask for "help" on most games, but just due to the sheer sillyness of how the game works, and how it tells you to play; combined with a lack of a good in game description/tutorial kinda forces you to ask questions. Luckily the game got a great community because of it. It's a decent title; hopefully the make a sequel with the crystal tools engine since Unreal engine is a piece of garbage 90% of the time.

Quote:
. If you’ve built up lots of arts with that weapon and it’s a +1 or +2, then don’t change it.

You meant this in terms of switching to another weield style, correct? Not just not
upgrading to a better weapon of the same wield type?

@FF7 King; do you have a TrueAchievments account? If so do you mind if I add you to my friends list on there? If not then disregard this, lol.

About to beat Holy Servant now, easier then I had expected; then again I did get lucky and have Hundred Flowers come up a lot, which caught me by surprise. Didn't bother me too much considering how sexy it is.

Last edited by loyaltrekie; 09-19-2009 at 04:51 PM.
loyaltrekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #1513
FF7 King

FF7 King's Gamercard

@ LoyalTrekie

Referring to my post in regard to the single Grand Rockgrater union strategy, I do acknowledge it's not a perfect way to find him. Sometimes, even following those guidelines, it will still not be the one you want. The layout will always be different and even if it was the one on the left before, they can move before you reach the door and it may be the triple union group.

Either way, it doesn't matter if you don't grind *just* the single Grand Rockgrater. This was merely the system that worked for me. I did not suggest to kill them all by default, I suggested that you can still wipe all three before you save/reload and the difference in stat gain will not be that big.

Auto-chain is helpful, but I don't really use it because I know the weapon buttons for critical chains quite well. The only problem is the defensive triggers; I've noticed it tends to be random, even with different weapon types.

I fully agree. The game's mechanics are backwards and it's incredibly frustrating. Square took a big risk by changing their system, and it didn't work out perfectly - but it's still a good game which I loved. I was just sort of disappointed by the sloppiness of the level system.

Yes. I meant only in terms of changing the weapon type. For example, changing dual-wield to power grip. Of course, equipping a more powerful version of your current weapon type is fine. Just keep in mind the categories of one-handed weapons, like katanas, for their specific arts.

I do have one, yes. It's fine if you add me. Same username as my x360a username.

Quote:

Last edited by FF7 King; 09-19-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #1514
Masterclone

TynaeveX's Gamercard
ok so i beat Holy Servant now and BR 54. I did grind some more and had unions with 7500-8200 HP, he was still a pain even with those stats What saved me was i had a union that managed to flank attack him most of the fight which gained me morale and made him use Desperate Wail a few times. No damage from his extra attack is a good round

Should i just grind on any Ancbolder i find on third floor now to 70 and then do robelia grind then? I'd guess i'll be fully maxed by then in stats
Old 09-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #1515
FF7 King

FF7 King's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterclone View Post
ok so i beat Holy Servant now and BR 54. I did grind some more and had unions with 7500-8200 HP, he was still a pain even with those stats What saved me was i had a union that managed to flank attack him most of the fight which gained me morale and made him use Desperate Wail a few times. No damage from his extra attack is a good round

Should i just grind on any Ancbolder i find on third floor now to 70 and then do robelia grind then? I'd guess i'll be fully maxed by then in stats
Holy Servant is a lot harder than The Fallen, you will have an easier time from this point onward. Congratulations on your victory. I stress again the benefit of using four unions. Even most bosses can only multi-deadlock three unions so you will always have one union that can flank.

I grinded on the one suggested by Method in another thread. According to that thread, it's recommended to fight the Ancbolder at the end of the left corridoor as soon as you enter the third floor. So take the first left, then the next left, and he should be hiding in the corner.

By this time, I was nearly maxed out so I barely gained any stats from the Ancbolders. However, there is no enemy in the game, aside from DLC bosses, that will give you better stats by default than Ancbolders - so you have no better choice.

There are certain ones on that floor that contain only one union but it's much more awkward to navigate Boreas without being ambushed. With that in mind, I would suggest you just kill any of them you want. It doesn't matter so much because your stats will be nearly capped when you begin grinding them, so whether your BR increase is small or large (in respect to a one, two or three union fight per Ancbolder) you are still fairly safe.

Quote:
Old 09-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #1516
loyaltrekie

Quote:
@ LoyalTrekie

Referring to my post in regard to the single Grand Rockgrater union strategy, I do acknowledge it's not a perfect way to find him. Sometimes, even following those guidelines, it will still not be the one you want. The layout will always be different and even if it was the one on the left before, they can move before you reach the door and it may be the triple union group.

Either way, it doesn't matter if you don't grind *just* the single Grand Rockgrater. This was merely the system that worked for me. I did not suggest to kill them all by default, I suggested that you can still wipe all three before you save/reload and the difference in stat gain will not be that big.

Auto-chain is helpful, but I don't really use it because I know the weapon buttons for critical chains quite well. The only problem is the defensive triggers; I've noticed it tends to be random, even with different weapon types.
I think you misread what I said; I was confirming that if you follow what you had said more times then not you can single out the single group. Wasn't saying you said to do that or not! I just prefered to do it in the early stages since it's quite a bit faster and safer for the first few BR you are there.

I was referring to the auto trigger not because I couldn't do it; but because when I'm doing some bore-snore stuff like this I read a novel. I have probably put down 100+ books during just leveling / travel times in RPGs. So it's great to enable the auto so you can get the fight done faster and not pay attention to the screen. Once you get your uniouns set up up there is honestly no reason why you shouldn't be hitting every critical all the time anyways; unless a leader just changed weapons - it's occasional thrown me off lol(torgal moving to axes from swords - I believe it was). Yea the defensive triggers are random, doesn't depend on weapon type and since they usually go quick I have a hard time hitting them too lol.

Either way, about to finish up the post Holy Servant grind. What's to do after that? The arts grind, then quests, then finish the story line? I'm kinda sad how short the actual main story is; I can't believe it doesn't even take you to half the towns or dungeons. The whole game seems kinda backwards.

My fault on the mix up on my previous post, was typing during fights didn't reread my posts! Good job on beating HS Masterclone, it was a pretty fun fight I have to say. Wasn't super hard, but was still a challenge; a great balance.

Last edited by loyaltrekie; 09-19-2009 at 08:18 PM.
loyaltrekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #1517
FF7 King

FF7 King's Gamercard

It seems I did misread what you said yes. Sorry about that. Yeah, the auto feature is very good for distracting yourself with other activities while doing those mind-numbing tasks. I used it mainly during the Fornstrand crab linking for the Monster Dismantler achievement.

After Holy Servant? Do whatever it is you want to do. Finish up guildtasks, hunt rare monsters or farm components if you want a beast weapon for rush. Up your BR to get your leaders their final weapons and weapon Arts. Go for the DLC bosses like The Lost Remnant, Cyclops Standard Model, The Enlightened Seven & Enlightened Conqueror, etc.

You can also try Demigod if you're feeling lucky. Obtain the best and most rare formations. Complete all the standard quests. And of course, if you've done everything correctly you'll be fighting AC at the end of the game.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #1518
Wraxend

WraxendGamer's Gamercard
I need help in dealing with the Holy Servant. What are some tips you can give me to handle this boss?
Wraxend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #1519
Homakruz

Lord Kruz's Gamercard
Well, I finally decided to slap this game in my 360 and play. Considering I pre-ordered it... Pretty sad ^^.

Anyways, I have a question about leaders asking advice. When they ask if they should learn a new art, Should I agree or say focus on your current arts? I don't know if this detracts them from Combat Arts are not.

Also... I wanted to ask about my current stats.
I got to the aqueducts at 9 BR and got all the leaders and soldiers I needed before grinding up.
Now I just got Irina at 35 BR and I have no internet for my 360 at the moment so I can't get the AR key.

My stats are:
Rush/Baulson 3533 Hp/69 Atk/18 Def/60 Mys/16 Md
Torgal/Glenys 4203 Hp/65 Atk/23 Def/53 Mys/23 Md
Emmy/Caedmon 3412/59 Atk/21 Def/ 53 Mys/ 15 MD

I guess my question would be, Should I just hold off on playing till I get the net set up or should I continue on doing some sidequests and such? ( I have ~65 other games to play so it is no biggie if I hold off for a while. I need to finish up SO anyways ).

Star Ocean: LTH (41/50 - 790/1000)

BTs - 717/900 (As of 7/17) <- Coincidence ;D
Edge - 86 | Reimi - 80 | Faize - 100 | Lymle - 78
Bacchus - 76 | Meracle - 68 | Sarah - 70
Myuria - 69 | Arumat - 90
Homakruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #1520
NarrBitaYarr

NarrBitaYarr's Gamercard

I finally just tuned the Holy Servant! The battle lasted around 45 minutes, and my buddy came over to watch the heat go down, we were on our toes the whole time. Complete awesomeness!
So, @ Wraxend, I'll try and describe how it ended up working for me, hopefully it will for you too:

I had 4 unions; 3 of which were full, and 1 with only Irina and two high HP soldiers (1 combat, 1 herb).
I was at BR 64, and my 3 full unions had around 6000 HP each. I would always have the union with the highest HP deadlocked on the beast, and the others healing, on standby, or (hopefully) flanking.

Whenever one union dropped, Irina and her squad would bring them back with Kiss of Life. Irina would also heal ANY other unison if there were no dead ones.

Here's what helped me a lot though. I was given the option to use Emmy's summon (you know the one!). This basically served as a meatshield and status affect helper against HS. With this always deadlocked, it was only a matter of time more than difficulty. Healing whenever you can, and flanking whenever possible (I also occasionally used "give em everything you got!" as it would sometimes work great), AND using special moves like talisman's gift or Hundred Flowers, and this beast wont know what hit him.
When I finished the battle, almost all of my soldiers were dead from HS's predation III move, but all my leaders were in tact! YEAHHHHHH

Hopefully this helps, I'm now grinding ancbolders... but damn it, they're tougher than I thought! Though... I'm a little unsure where I should go next and what to do... I had to put it down a little after beating HS anyways, it took a lot out of me!

P.S. I <3 Rock Band!

My Rock Band Solo Scores
!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #1521
Wraxend

WraxendGamer's Gamercard
Don't worry about the Holy Servant. I finally got it. I got to say, that was the toughest fight I've have ever experienced throughout the game!
Wraxend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:26 AM   #1522
FF7 King

FF7 King's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homakruz View Post
Well, I finally decided to slap this game in my 360 and play. Considering I pre-ordered it... Pretty sad ^^.

Anyways, I have a question about leaders asking advice. When they ask if they should learn a new art, Should I agree or say focus on your current arts? I don't know if this detracts them from Combat Arts are not.

Also... I wanted to ask about my current stats.
I got to the aqueducts at 9 BR and got all the leaders and soldiers I needed before grinding up.
Now I just got Irina at 35 BR and I have no internet for my 360 at the moment so I can't get the AR key.

My stats are:
Rush/Baulson 3533 Hp/69 Atk/18 Def/60 Mys/16 Md
Torgal/Glenys 4203 Hp/65 Atk/23 Def/53 Mys/23 Md
Emmy/Caedmon 3412/59 Atk/21 Def/ 53 Mys/ 15 MD

I guess my question would be, Should I just hold off on playing till I get the net set up or should I continue on doing some sidequests and such? ( I have ~65 other games to play so it is no biggie if I hold off for a while. I need to finish up SO anyways ).
Yeah it's okay, let them learn it if you want them to have the ability. Telling them to focus on what they already know just has them continue as normal without the ability in question. You should generally say yes, unless of course it's something you'd prefer they didn't have; such as Hexes or Evocations with Torgal and Jager, etc.

The problem is that, while in general they are useful, they tend to dominate the commands in battle and you end up having only them to use instead of savage combat arts. I wouldn't recommend you let the likes of Jager or Torgal learn any kind of Mystic related skill, but that's just me. I like to separate.

You should probably wait to finish Disc 2's sidequests until you have finished grinding. You will need that BR devoted to the AR enemies so you can get your stats to skyrocket. This is the reason it's suggested to leave Disc 1's sidequests until last so you can put all your BR into the Skull Scavengers as of course, sidequests will gain you BR whether you like it or not.

I would recommend you wait to get your net back so you can get the DLC and start Ancient Ruins. If you're bored, you could do some of the quests that involve little or no combat. Wouldn't hurt to occupy yourself while you're waiting with some Star Ocean either, though =P

Quote:
Old 09-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #1523
j800r

j800r's Gamercard
I'm thinking I may restart my game and try this method. Question I have is... avoiding every battle and leaving disk 1 quests til the last minute etc... when recruiting leaders you want (e.g. Caedmon, and maybe Nora, definitely Baulson etc) Without doing the sidequests, you wouldn't be able to afford them. You wouldn't be able to gain them until later, but then, they would be lagging stat-wise wouldn't they? How the hell do you get past that?? :s
Old 09-22-2009, 11:07 PM   #1524
FF7 King

FF7 King's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by j800r View Post
I'm thinking I may restart my game and try this method. Question I have is... avoiding every battle and leaving disk 1 quests til the last minute etc... when recruiting leaders you want (e.g. Caedmon, and maybe Nora, definitely Baulson etc) Without doing the sidequests, you wouldn't be able to afford them. You wouldn't be able to gain them until later, but then, they would be lagging stat-wise wouldn't they? How the hell do you get past that?? :s
It's generally recommended to leave Disc 1's quests until the very end, but there are some you can do which require little or no combat. You will invariably complete some guild tasks also as you progress even without fighting, so you can get a little gold from them too.

I know how it sounds, how am I supposed to get the gold to hire my leaders if I can't fight to earn it? But trust me, by the end of the first disc I had money coming out my ears even after the expenses of my leaders. Money is useless in this game, and when you kill the DLC bosses you will be shitting gold, which, even after some heavy spending, you will never even chip at by comparison.

That is essentially true, so you can't afford to leave the hiring until later. Get Baulson right away because he's cheap and his quest only requires one battle. Caedmon you can get with money from plot battles and guild tasks, maybe the odd quest that doesn't require much fighting. Torgal is initially hired. Emmy is hired by plot. With Glenys, you'll just have to bite the bullet. You have to fight a bit for her. It's worth it though, you no doubt know how great she is and the little BR you gain will not damage your stats in the long run.

Sell what you don't need, even if it's gear you might have kept in a different situation. You'll never use even most of what you have, or get, in the game. Capture some monsters instead of splitting them and sell them to vendors. 'Avoid all battles' is a slight exaggeration. You just need to avoid the needless ones, which is most of them. Killing monsters for a quest to gain a leader is necessary, so they are discounted.

Quote:

Last edited by FF7 King; 09-22-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #1525
j800r

j800r's Gamercard
thanks for the tip bud. just started this playthru, certainly makes the game go quicker avoiding battles. tried doing the Baulson quest earlier without recruiting any leaders from the guild to try an save money (as i'd only be dismissing them later anyway as they're useless), got pwned in the battle at the end of the quest though. then tried saving it for later, after the generals and David had rejoined my party. Didn't realise Baulson's quest was missable. I'm praying now that I have a save file from just before I passed the point of no return with Baulson. Otherwise I'm gonna have to start a new game yet again. :|
Old 09-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #1526
FF7 King

FF7 King's Gamercard

Quote:
thanks for the tip bud. just started this playthru, certainly makes the game go quicker avoiding battles. tried doing the Baulson quest earlier without recruiting any leaders from the guild to try an save money (as i'd only be dismissing them later anyway as they're useless), got pwned in the battle at the end of the quest though. then tried saving it for later, after the generals and David had rejoined my party. Didn't realise Baulson's quest was missable. I'm praying now that I have a save file from just before I passed the point of no return with Baulson. Otherwise I'm gonna have to start a new game yet again. :|
I hope you do have one =P You've got the right idea not hiring the generic Generals, but you need McGrady to survive that quest since Baulson's only a guest union. Hire McGrady then fire him straight afterward you complete it. It's only a small amount of gold anyway, won't set you back that far.

Quote:
Old 09-23-2009, 01:51 AM   #1527
j800r

j800r's Gamercard
actually ended up hiring the both of them and using them both. then keeping McGrady for Blackdale. Got through it all without too much trouble. Now, in the Catacombs however, things are getting tricky. It's getting really hard to avoid enemies when i get to them butterfly type ones, and if a battle is forced with them, I find it's not long before i'm wiped out. Just about to reload my save yet again. Hopefully this time I'll be more lucky.

p.s. I'm not a gaming/rpg n00b by any means. Just never used a method like this before.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #1528
FF7 King

FF7 King's Gamercard

Quote:
actually ended up hiring the both of them and using them both. then keeping McGrady for Blackdale. Got through it all without too much trouble. Now, in the Catacombs however, things are getting tricky. It's getting really hard to avoid enemies when i get to them butterfly type ones, and if a battle is forced with them, I find it's not long before i'm wiped out. Just about to reload my save yet again. Hopefully this time I'll be more lucky.

p.s. I'm not a gaming/rpg n00b by any means. Just never used a method like this before.
Yeah, you're going to have some difficulty battle-wise until you're about halfway through your Skull Scavenger grind. Naturally those accidental encounters you're having with the butterflies are fatal because your stats are so low, but this is to be expected. I find the butterflies are okay to dodge as their charge attack is slow, it's those fucking Albic Qsitis that are the problem. Like I said in a previous post, observe the enemies and learn how they behave. If you know what to expect, you'll know how to best dodge them.

Quote:
Old 09-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #1529
j800r

j800r's Gamercard
got past it all now anyway. am grinding with the skull skavengers. stats/skills building up pretty well. Wondering though. When's the best time to do the quest to get Glenys, cause obviously, don't want BR getting to high otherwise she'll be lagging. Should i grind to about 18ish BR, do nest of eagles, then go straight to that quest, or go all the way to 25? :\

*note* am in the process of grinding right this moment, so if I get to 18 BR before a response, i'll go for Nest Of Eagles, then the quest for Glenys, of course, if I get a response before that happens then that'll be fantastic.

**update** Finally nailed the bugger at BR 16. It was damn close though!! I almost didn't make it. I think it was mostly luck involved tbh. Now off to the guild to get Glenys and train her up.

Last edited by j800r; 09-23-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: progress update
j800r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #1530
FF7 King

FF7 King's Gamercard

Quote:
got past it all now anyway. am grinding with the skull skavengers. stats/skills building up pretty well. Wondering though. When's the best time to do the quest to get Glenys, cause obviously, don't want BR getting to high otherwise she'll be lagging. Should i grind to about 18ish BR, do nest of eagles, then go straight to that quest, or go all the way to 25? :

*note* am in the process of grinding right this moment, so if I get to 18 BR before a response, i'll go for Nest Of Eagles, then the quest for Glenys, of course, if I get a response before that happens then that'll be fantastic.

**update** Finally nailed the bugger at BR 16. It was damn close though!! I almost didn't make it. I think it was mostly luck involved tbh. Now off to the guild to get Glenys and train her up.
Do Nest of Eagles as early as possible for Emmy, complete Wisdom's Echo to get Glenys, then go finish your grinding. Even if you did grind to BR25 before Nest of Eagles when you didn't have them, you'd still have been fine because both Emmy and Glenys' stats will be quite high initially - particularly Glenys. Their stats wouldn't suffer much. Anyway, the Skull Scavenger grind is not as important as the Ancient Ruins one. You can't afford to mess around on that one.

Quote: