Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
merzitar

Heathen Baboon's Gamercard
Silent Hills (P.T.)

Let's discuss P.T. (Playable Teaser) or Silent Hills.

I really hope Silent Hills, if not P.T. in its current form comes to Xbox One as well as PS4. Do you all think it will be Multiplatform? I would have thought Sony would have already mentioned if Silent Hills was exclusive, but you never know. All we know is that it is by Kojima Productions and Konami. Oh, and apparently, those graphics are "purposely bad"? Wow.

Thoughts?

UPDATE - 14/08/2014

Some potential good news:

Silent Hills and maybe P.T. could be coming to Xbox One as well as PlayStation 4. An an apparent E-mail from Sony themselves, they have listed some exclusive games. However, P.T. is not listed as an exclusive.

The link to the translated website is right here, so feel free to check it out.

Last edited by merzitar; 08-14-2014 at 09:59 PM.
merzitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
JuSt BLaZe

BLAZE VII's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Diamond   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merzitar View Post
Let's discuss P.T. (Playable Teaser) or Silent Hills.

I really hope Silent Hills, if not P.T. in its current form comes to Xbox One as well as PS4. Do you all think it will be Multiplatform? I would have thought Sony would have already mentioned if Silent Hills was exclusive, but you never know. All we know is that it is by Kojima Productions and Konami. Oh, and apparently, those graphics are "purposely bad"? Wow.

Thoughts?
Yeah I also thought Sony announced that is a PS-EXCLUSIVE, hopefully also "timed" like Rise Of The Tomb Raider. I really want to play that game! I mean come on, Hideo Kojima + Norman Reedus and they probably brought Guillermo del Toro on board just for the horror-aspect.

100% > Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Xbox360 & XboxOne)
100% > Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (Xbo360 & XboxOne)
100% > Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox360 & XboxOne)

JuSt BLaZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
merzitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuSt BLaZe View Post
Yeah I also thought Sony announced that is a PS-EXCLUSIVE.

Nope, all that was mentioned is "Play the teaser now, only on PlayStation".
Old 08-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
JuSt BLaZe

BLAZE VII's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Diamond   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Nope, all that was mentioned is "Play the teaser now, only on PlayStation".
Well that's good news isn't it.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
LickableLemons7

LickableLemons7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
What I found the most fascinating about the Silent Hills reveal was how Kojima was steadily teasing the game through Twitter.

Last year he mentioned that he wanted to 3D capture Ryan Gosling and Norman Reedus and put them in a game.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/...00989761871873

And just last month Kojima teased images with Nicolas Winding Refn (director of Gosling films Drive, Only God Forgives), del Toro, and Reedus. He specifically referred to those three guys as his "soul warriors" and upon meeting them Kojima felt "charged."

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/...06706045325313

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/...15153543241728

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/...90328058785792

While P.T. didn't feature Ryan Gosling (at least to what I'm aware of) I still want him to be in Silent Hills!

I wonder if Silent Hills will also be in first person...although the P.T. stated that it wouldn't represent the final game...feels weird thinking about a first person Silent Hill game. Although I only played Silent Hill 2 and don't know much about the franchise in general.

But with all the hubbub surrounding Silent Hills I'm hoping that Kojima is almost done with The Phantom Pain and that'll be out sometime early next year, around March or something. Really excited for that especially after seeing more of the Mother Base infiltration system.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Kovy88

Kovy88's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   GSL 12 Winner   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Gold
Just because they showed it in PlayStation conference doesn't mean it will be a certain exclusive. Kojima is just known as a Ps-guy, so it would have been weird to see his name on the Xbox show. They showed CoD gameplay in both E3 and Gamescom this year in Xbox show and it's a multiplatform game. Konami just doesn't have their own show, I guess?

Ok, I can't be sure it isn't a Ps4 exclusive. But I hope it isn't. Silent Hill done by these guys will be amazing.

2 GSL wins in a row! You do that.

GSL 13 starting score: 330,305g | 100k - 24.8.2011 | 200k - 2.12.2012 | 300k - 1.12.2013

My top 10 shooter completions: Gears of War 3, Max Payne 3, F.E.A.R., F.E.A.R. 2, F.E.A.R. Files, Rainbow Six Vegas, Warhammer 40k Space Marine, Gears of War 2, Legendary, Left 4 Dead 2 (Realism Expert legit Dead Center & Hard Rain) | XBA shooter leaderboard:
141 727g (8th)
Kovy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
LickableLemons7

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy88 View Post
Just because they showed it in PlayStation conference doesn't mean it will be a certain exclusive. Kojima is just known as a Ps-guy, so it would have been weird to see his name on the Xbox show.
That reminds me of when the E3 2013 Microsoft conference opened up with the new trailer for The Phantom Pain. Major Nelson accidentally tweeted that it was an Xbox One exclusive.

I think they just had Metal Gear kick off the Microsoft conference that year just to hammer in that MGSV was coming to Xbox.

I'm sure if Silent Hills was a PlayStation exclusive it'd have been announced by now. If a game is exclusive to any platform under Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony, they usually reveal that the game is exclusive straight away, right?
Old 08-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
judd90

Judd90's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
I downloaded this, going to give it a go tomorrow. Might record it and upload a playthrough of the demo for everyone that can't play it.

Check out my YouTube Channel: JuddTube
judd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
JuSt BLaZe

BLAZE VII's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd90 View Post
I downloaded this, going to give it a go tomorrow. Might record it and upload a playthrough of the demo for everyone that can't play it.
Already happened but thanks buddy :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAgKg72TYG0

Old 08-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
judd90

Judd90's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Already happened but thanks buddy :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAgKg72TYG0
Ah of course IGN. I still might do it, save everyone having to listen to those idiots.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #11
JuSt BLaZe

BLAZE VII's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd90 View Post
Ah of course IGN. I still might do it, save everyone having to listen to those idiots.
I'm not and their commentary was really O V E R E X A G G E R A T E D. Just stumbled over it looking for new teasers from the Gamescom you can still give it a shot without this hysterical screaming and shouting haha.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #12
judd90

Judd90's Gamercard

If ill do it, it will just be game play. I'm not much of a good talker, I swear to much lol.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #13
Neverender

Deadpool x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff Club - Neverender   Over Achiever - Silver   x360a Representer   Road Map - Gold   Bright Idea   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
I think we'll get something Silent Hill-related soon. SH was originally more Sony-oriented, but since Homecoming the cross-platform releases have been fairly well mirrored between MS and Sony (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't follow video game news all that well any more). As for P.T., it could go either way. I was under the impression that the industry was making less franchises platform-exclusive, but with the recent Tomb Raider announcement, who knows?

As for graphics... Meh. I feel like there's a certain threshold of quality that almost all modern games meet, and anything beyond that is just for the videophiles among us. I'm more concerned with the gameplay and story personally.

I would be very happy with a new release in the franchise coming to the MS consoles, though. It seems like the survival horror genre kinda died off recently and the Silent Hill games are always quality entries into the genre.

On a side note, meritzar, nice sig - Deadly Premonition is one of my favorite games.

My Staff Club

Neverender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
Lewie B I ReQ

Lewie B I ReQ's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
i hope it does come to xbox i dont intend to get a ps4 for a few years really
so il hold back excitement for now just incase lol

credit and thanks to Slaughter for the avatar and sig. check him out if your looking for a signature
Lewie B I ReQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #15
BiggD
PULL IT TOGETHER, 343!

BiggDope's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 15,000 Posts   Community Gaming - Silver   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Donator - Level 2   VGO Bronze Medal
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverender View Post
As for P.T., it could go either way.
Just to note, because I don't understand why people are making this mistake, P.T. isn't the name of the game, so it makes no sense to call it that. It's "playable teaser" of the game, which is Silent Hills.

And Tomb Raider is only timed exclusive.

Thanks to Xerofox for the romantically rambunctious signature!

Currently Playing: Halo: The Master Chief Collection
~ HALO IS LOVE, HALO IS LIFE ~
BiggD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
Jardinho

Jardinho's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Green Thumb - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   GRID 2 Award   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
It wasn't scary.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #17
PsychoDelusion

As a crazy Silent Hill fan, I have high hopes for this. Kojima said that he wants to make this game scary enough till the bearable level being maximized.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:50 PM   #18
merzitar

Some potential good news:

Silent Hills and maybe P.T. could be coming to Xbox One as well as PlayStation 4. An an apparent E-mail from Sony themselves, they have listed some exclusive games. However, P.T. is not listed as an exclusive.

The link to the translated website is right here, so feel free to check it out. I'll also add this information to the first post.

Quote:
On a side note, meritzar, nice sig - Deadly Premonition is one of my favorite games.

Thank you! ^_^ I played it for the first game not so long ago as I was given it as a Christmas present. It has its obvious flaws, but I found it to be a very compelling and unique game. I can imagine the Director's Cut improvements may be great.

On a general on-topic thing (lol, I can't think of words right now, I'm tired!) I have always believed that Hideo Kojima could make a great Silent Hill. Hideo Kojima is a mastermind - he's my biggest influence - he'll get Silent Hill back on track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoDelusion View Post
As a crazy Silent Hill fan, I have high hopes for this. Kojima said that he wants to make this game scary enough till the bearable level being maximized.

Yup, as I just mentioned above (before seeing your post ^_^) I do think Hideo Kojima is what Silent Hill needs. I'm glad to see it go back to its Japanese roots. I haven't found a game as scary as P.T. in a while... especially not from watching the footage.

Last edited by merzitar; 08-14-2014 at 09:56 PM.
merzitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #19
LickableLemons7

Cool, I'd love to be able to give P.T. a go on Xbox One, hope it comes to PC as well.

Now that we know who was behind P.T. I wonder if Kojima intends to update it/release a new version with superior graphics. I'd like to compare the current version to one that Kojima doesn't consider "downscaled."
Old 08-14-2014, 10:03 PM   #20
Edword

Sprinklez88's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 View Post
I wonder if Silent Hills will also be in first person...although the P.T. stated that it wouldn't represent the final game...feels weird thinking about a first person Silent Hill game. Although I only played Silent Hill 2 and don't know much about the franchise in general.
It will probably be third person. What's the point in getting an actor well known like Norman Reedus but making the game first person?
Edword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #21
merzitar

Quote:
Cool, I'd love to be able to give P.T. a go on Xbox One, hope it comes to PC as well.

Now that we know who was behind P.T. I wonder if Kojima intends to update it/release a new version with superior graphics. I'd like to compare the current version to one that Kojima doesn't consider "downscaled."

It would be cool for PC gamers to give it a go, too. Personally, I'm more of a console gamer, but I think everyone should be able to play Silent Hill. Wasn't the last Silent Hill to be available on PC Silent Hill 3?

If that's the FOX Engine's bad graphics, we can only imagine how it'll look in its full glory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edword View Post
It will probably be third person. What's the point in getting an actor well known like Norman Reedus but making the game first person?

I think it would be a cool idea if in-doors parts are first person and the streets are third person.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #22
LickableLemons7

Quote:
It would be cool for PC gamers to give it a go, too. Personally, I'm more of a console gamer, but I think everyone should be able to play Silent Hill. Wasn't the last Silent Hill to be available on PC Silent Hill 3?

If that's the FOX Engine's bad graphics, we can only imagine how it'll look in its full glory!
From what I can tell 4 and Homecoming are also on PC but after Homecoming that was it. I'm more of a console gamer as well but I always like the option. After hearing that Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are coming to Steam I'm so tempted to build a better rig for myself. I can't imagine what the modding community could come up with for The Phantom Pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edword View Post
Plenty of first person games have cutscenes in third person. And some people like the idea that they're "in the shoes" of Norman Reedus. But didn't you play as his Dixon character in The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct? That was first person as well. I don't that game looked all that great though. Needed more Fox Engine.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #23
merzitar

Quote:
But didn't you play as his Dixon character in The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct? That was first person as well. I don't that game looked all that great though. Needed more Fox Engine.

FOX Engine looks shit compared to Survival Instinct! Just compare the level of detail, man!

LMAO, don't worry, I'm just kidding around. This just shows how awesome the FOX Engine is.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #24
Neverender

Deadpool x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff Club - Neverender   Over Achiever - Silver   x360a Representer   Road Map - Gold   Bright Idea   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
Just to note, because I don't understand why people are making this mistake, P.T. isn't the name of the game, so it makes no sense to call it that. It's "playable teaser" of the game, which is Silent Hills.

And Tomb Raider is only timed exclusive.
For me, the press releases I'd seen just weren't clear (for this or Tomb Raider), though it is good to know on both accounts.

Quote:
Thank you! ^_^ I played it for the first game not so long ago as I was given it as a Christmas present. It has its obvious flaws, but I found it to be a very compelling and unique game. I can imagine the Director's Cut improvements may be great.
Yeah, really excited for the sequel too, though it's a ways out since the "main guy" (SWERY) is working on D4. :/

My Staff Club

Neverender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #25
merzitar

Quote:
For me, the press releases I'd seen just weren't clear (for this or Tomb Raider), though it is good to know on both accounts.

Yeah, really excited for the sequel too, though it's a ways out since the "main guy" (SWERY) is working on D4. :/
IGN are annoying me over that. Last I looked they still keep saying Exclusive... Trying to fuel the Console war as usual.

I wasn't aware of a sequel! I'd definitely like to see that. I am really interest in D4 though - I want to see more than what they show.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #26
JuSt BLaZe

BLAZE VII's Gamercard

Just watched another P.T. walkthrough without the damn commentaries and it was really enjoyable. Wish we had a demo for this too.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #27
merzitar

Quote:
Just watched another P.T. walkthrough without the damn commentaries and it was really enjoyable. Wish we had a demo for this too.
I really enjoy horror games, but they don't really scare me. However, this actually does creep me out. Especially the balcony ghost (shivers)
Old 08-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #28
JuSt BLaZe

BLAZE VII's Gamercard

Quote:
I really enjoy horror games, but they don't really scare me. However, this actually does creep me out. Especially the balcony ghost (shivers)
What I've learned and experienced starting from horror games back in 1998 the soundtrack does the most job when it comes to scare the shit out of me not the gore and they should keep it at that.

You can walk along any hallway and nothing happens but add the right sounds to it, hell I just want to get out of here.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #29
merzitar

Quote:
What I've learned and experienced starting from horror games back in 1998 the soundtrack does the most job when it comes to scare the shit out of me not the gore and they should keep it at that.

You can walk along any hallway and nothing happens but add the right sounds to it, hell I just want to get out of here.
I agree, the soundtrack adds most of the atmosphere, but I do feel that design and a psychological aspect is important. Some people are saying "Bring back Akira Yamaoka" but you know what? While I love Akira's work, I think this new composer has done a great job.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #30
LickableLemons7

I liked the sound of when the ghost or whatever it was snapped your neck. It also sounded like it started to eat the playable character's flesh too? Curious to know how the sound studio at Kojima Productions handled it. I thought it was funny to find out that they rolled a wet rag on tiled floor to simulate a snake slithering about in MGS3. Or mooing through a cardboard tube for the Gekkos.

Also, I just saw this article on Kotaku and thought it was an interesting read:

Nobody Actually Knows How They Solved The Silent Hill Teaser