PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Samurai Warriors 2
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-31-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Ruq

Send a message via MSN to Ruq

Ruqulas's Gamercard
Ruq's Achievement Guide / Roadmap

Okay so I know this game is kind of old but it lacks a very in-depth guide, which I have nearly completed. This guide is VERY in-depth in most areas so if you feel like skipping a lot of it I won't be offended; I put the info there to answer as many questions as everyone (and myself) have asked.

So here goes:

Special Note: it is very rare, but it is possible to cause a fault and not be able to access your XL Expansion after you download it. This is because it syncs the license with the xbox you download it to, not just your profile. Thanks to Eiji and Prince_K for helping us with the problem. If you encounter it, please review the threads Here and here

Ruqulas’s Roadmap for Samurai Warrior’s 2 / SW2XL

Total Number of Achievements: 29 (1,250 GS)
Offline: 29
Online: 0
DLC: 8 (250 GS)

Notes:

1) DO NOT download the XL expansion if you planning to do so until you have completed Step 1 of this guide!!! Unlocking Mushashi Miyamoto in SW2 simply requires you to unlock all other characters’ associated with Achievements; should you download the XL expansion BEFORE unlocking Miyamoto, you will then need to clear almost EVERY character’s story EXCEPT Miyamoto himself in order to unlock this achievement. If you are going for speed or least amount of annoyance, DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE XL EXPANSION (yet).

2) There are several additional Achievements for the XL expansion, purchased for 2,400 MSP. This expansion opens up Mercenary Mode for 2 Achievements as well as 6 other Characters for whom you need to complete the story of to get Achievements. Also, there is a change with regarding the Kojiro- and Katsuie Hired achievements; if you should follow step 1, you may wait until you download the XL expansion and then go into the shop and purchase Juon and Yoshiteru to get a laughably easy 100 GS (See Note #9).

3) Each required character’s story has 5 chapters, excluding Mitsunari Ishida and Ieyasu Tokugawa, who have 6 chapters. Each chapter could take 15-45 minutes, making the entire character’s story last 2-4 hours; again Ishida and Tokugawa’s will last longer than that.

4) I highly recommend doing the Battle of Anegawa in Free Mode at least once before going into the story mode of the character you choose. This will make the first couple levels a breeze, and ease the difficulty of the latter levels, allowing you to take care of minor Lieutenants and some of the Generals with little and moderate difficulty respectively.

4.5) In my first incarnation I forgot to mention that you may do these achievements with two players, however much like DW6 it probably only lets you sign in on one profile and get one person the achievements at a time. However, an alternate method for leveling up characters is to have 2 controllers and go through as you would normally except the extra dumb-character (which may or may not be controlled by another person) should receive experience from completing the level. If this does work, you could also try starting out with stories right away and just constantly have another character on the side-lines. This should speed time up considerably.

5) I recommend doing the Battle of Anegawa in Free Mode with Mitsunari Ishida at least three times, or until he is level 15-20. That may sound harsh to those of you want to get this done as quickly as possible, but in the long run it will help out a great deal. You will be fighting Tadakatsu Honda multiple times throughout Ishida’s storyline, and he is a tough nut to crack. In chapter 6, I recommend being level 30+; you will need to pass Honda to get to Tokugawa, and Honda is significantly more of a nuisance. I was level 35 and BARELY lived with a smidge of my health bar. You will have the help of computerized officers but it’s not much as he dazes everyone quite a bit.

6) While warming up each character at the Battle of Anegawa in Free Mode, if you spot a crate break it. This will give you a chance to a nice sum of gold for buying that first Mount and Monk/Shrine Maiden Guard. If you’re lucky, you might also get a weapon, which will further compliment the ease of the storyline in the beginning. If you don’t, never fear, Oichi seems like a bottomless supply of them.

7) To prepare for later achievements I recommend starting off with a Monk or Shrine Maiden from the very beginning, as per the achievement guide’s suggestion for Survival Mode. Doing this early will ensure that s/he is level 20 by the time you’re ready, and that will happen after 4 or 5 character’s stories. (especially if you do Ishida’s or Tokugawa’s storyline early). Also note that after downloading the XL expansion, your Guard can progress up to level 30.

8) DO NOT worry about buying skills for all the characters. They will be just fine going through the story. It’s pointless to waste money, as you will be struggling to prepare the character you wish to take through Survival Mode by purchasing skills between battles to get more money. Simply play each storyline, and by the end of completing all of them you will have a significantly fat wallet for which to buff up your character of choice for Survival Mode, as well you will already have many skills to work with.

9) Once you have 12,800 gold and if you have the XL expasnion, go into the shop and purchase the guards Juon Takahashi and Yoshiteru Ashikaga. They are male samurai and should be at the bottom of the male-samurai section of the list (3 or 4 guards down from the top). You may then choose to interim save or save after a battle, and you will acquire Katsuie Hired and Kojiro Hired achievements, worth 100 GS.

10) All achievements in this game require you to save the game before you earn them. Interim saves count. Usually this is not a big deal, as after every match you are given the chance to save; after every story is completed save and you should get it. You may choose to save later before you get it, and it will still count (i.e. if you complete 2 stories without saving—for whatever reason—and then save, you will get everything). Save frequently anyway, it’s good gamer-habit. It also may be necessary to be hooked up to XBL. Although, I believe I saved once as a free fish and still got an achievement. Should you fail to get an achievement and it’s not Musashi Miayamoto on XL, hook on and interim save, if that doesn’t work…google it!

Prefer PMs to XBL Messages, thanks.

Last edited by Ruq; 05-04-2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Corrected mistakes/added information
Ruq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Ruq

Ruqulas's Gamercard
First Step:

The first step for achievements is to complete the story modes of those characters that will unlock other characters. You do not need to beat the story mode of EVERY character, for instance Keiji Maeda, so I don’t recommend wasting time if you’re going for speed. Each story will take approximately 2-4 hours to complete, as each level can last between 15-45 minutes, especially if you are unfamiliar with what will happen. I will provide a guide for some of the more drawn-out levels and how to complete them most quickly.

Again, as stated above, equip yourself with a Monk or Shrine Maiden as your Guard, and purchase a Mount, specifically one with high speed. You won’t need one with power as you’ll only be using it for transportation. Worry not about skills, as you won’t need any to progress through the story, especially if you choose Easy mode, which is recommended. If you download the XL patch, Novice can be selected if you wish, but I think the amount of experience you gain after each level is reduced.

While playing the characters, be open-minded and figure out which ones you’d like to use for Survival Mode. After everyone’s story is completed they’ll be level 20 or so, and have most of their moves, so you can tell which one(s) you would like.

Onto the characters; some characters will unlock more than one character, and other characters will not need to be played at all, so I don't recommend playing them. Here are the characters you must play in a list form:

Characters Required to Clear:
Yukimura Sanada
Kanetsugu Naoe
Kenshin Uesugi
Mitsuhide Akechi
Magoichi Saika
Nobunaga Oda
Mitsunari Ishida
Hideyoshi Toyotomi
Kataro Fuma
Ginchiyo Tachibana

Now, to clarify which characters are required in succession, here is a linear form (note: within this form, I'm only listing the path you need to take, it does not include all unlocked characters):

Yukimura Sanada -> Kanetsugu Naoe -> Kenshin Uesugi
Mitsuhide Akechi -> Magoichi Saika -> Nobunaga Oda
Mitsunari Ishida -> Hideyoshi Toyotomi
Ieyasu Tokugawa -> Tadakatsu Honda
Kataro Fuma
Ginchiyo Tachibana
Oichi

After completing all of the characters required you will also unlock Musashi Miyamoto and get that achievement.

IF YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED THE XL EXPANSION BEFORE ACQUIRING THE MUSASHI MIYAMOTO ACHIEVEMENT: You will need to clear the story mode of ALL 23 Characters; that is, all characters excluding the XL additions, Okuni, Ranmaru Mori, and Miyamoto himself. Once you do this, you will then obtain the achievement (took me 4 extra days, not fun).

After completing this section you should have 17 achievements worth a total of 850 GS.

Last edited by Ruq; 04-04-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Ruq

Ruqulas's Gamercard
Second Step:

From here you have the option to, at any point in time, take a break and play Sugoroku to garner Okuni and her achievement, worth an additional 50 GS. I suggest playing the game on Small using the lower goal amounts. There is a nice guide for Sugoroku here So I will not go into it any further, and assume you get this eventually whenever you see fit.

Third Step:

It is also your choice now to download the XL expansion if you have not already done so (2,400 MSP is required). Since you should already have Musashi Miaymoto Unlocked, this will no longer effect that achievement. I will now list a couple of changes that occur regarding the achievements after downloading the XL expansion:

1) The achievement Musashi Miyamoto Unlocked (50 GS) now requires you to beat the story of ALL characters, excluding the XL characters, Okuni, Ranmaru Mori and Mushashi Miyamoto.
2) You may now optionally choose to purchase Juon and Yoshiteru from the Guard Menu in any Shop scenario with any character for 6,400 gold each. These guards will replace Kojro Hired and Katsuie Hired achievements (100 GS), as they are now playable characters in the XL expansion.
3) Mercenary Mode is now available, with an additional 2 achievements worth 70 GS
4) Characters now can obtain a 5th level of weaponry, instead of the maximum 4th although the level 5 weapons are not necessarily better, however one might be easier to get than the other. I believe to get either the 4th or 5th level you need to complete the character's story, and play the specified level on Hard difficulty. Level 4 weapon guides and stats can be found here and level 5 weapon guides and stats can be found here
5) A new menu in the shop labeled Orb Synthesis is available. This allows you to modify any and all weapons’ stats and element; the stats will be replaced by [STAT] +20. It is possible to modify and customize level 4 and 5 weapons in this menu to fit your playing style
6) The Dark Element now saps life based on opponent’s current health instead of max health; so now it is a ratio instead of a constant. The less life an opponent has, the less you gain with the element. It some people's opinion that it is only worth having for higher difficulties and in the latter levels of Survival Mode and Mercenary Mode.
7) All characters now have an additional Charge Attack, which for some applies an ability (i.e. applies Nene’s and Hanzo’s ability to create Shadow Images) which can come in handy for smoothly activating those skills in combat, reducing the annoyance of getting tapped and failing it using the normal method. For some characters, it is simply an extra attack, but does a hearty chunk of damage.
8) The shop also has a new menu for Special Skills, which can be purchased for your character of choice. Some sound really useful, others…don’t make sense to me at all. I tend to go with the ones that seem like they make the most sense, but you’re welcome to do as you please. I’ll guide your achievement, not your character or playing style!

If you do not choose to download the XL expansion, you will need to follow the achievement guide for garnering Ranmaru Mori, Katsuie Hired and Kojiro Hired, which I will cover in the Fourth Step.

Last edited by Ruq; 04-04-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
Ruq

Ruqulas's Gamercard
(Third Step Cont.):

I am going to assume that you are downloading XL. If you do not, you will simply need to grind your character of choice in Free Mode or in their Story Mode until they’re the proper level for Survival Mode.

By downloading XL you receive Mercenary Mode, which is a GREAT way to boost the level of the character you choose to go into Survival Mode with. You will be pitted against 4-8 officers without any real objective other than to kill the commander. If there are Yellow Reinforcement officers, they also count, as well as their commanders. Officers usually give 100 EXP while commanders give 300 EXP, plus the 50-100 EXP scrolls that drop—you’ll be rolling in levels in no time!

Also, by downloading the expansion, you can now modify your weapons with Orb Synthesis.

If you have yet to decide which character you want to use, or would like to try different characters, now is the time to do so. It is also possible for you to complete the stories of the XL characters, to see if those fit with you better. Once you have decided which character to use, I suggest getting the level 4-5 weapon if you can, then modifying it using Orb Synthesis however you please.

The FAQ to be provided has a deep explanation regarding Orb Synthesis, as well as methods to easily gain Orbs in Mercenary Mode. Although it’s quite possible you’ll get all the Orbs you need doing the achievements naturally, duping couldn’t hurt. The better you prepare now, the easier Survival Mode will be.

Lastly, you may choose to buy skills now, or wait to save a little more money. I suggest you go through Mercenary Mode before Survival Mode, and you will probably deftly steal several more skills from the enemies, which is a penny saved

For an In-Depth discussion on Mercenary Mode, GameFAQs has a nice guide Here. I would like to state that I will be summing up some information stated in this guide regarding Mercenary Mode, and that all information within the guide is credited to the author of the guide. I am using it without his/her permission and consolidating and “retranslating” the information and data pertinent to getting these two achievements.

Mercenary Mode is a kind of fun-but-gets-really-old-really-fast mode, wherein you take control of one character (Note: the character’s level is maintained just as in all other modes, so I suggest using the one you wish to carry over into Survival Mode) and take that character through a rather strange mini-version of Samurai Warrior’s Empires, only without the base-capturing part.

Essentially, the game works like this: the of the mode is to either “Unify Japan” or “Become a Master Mercenary”, both of which will get you an achievement. To progress through the game you will take part in “Battles” which may have specific rules which apply for everyone (i.e. 2x Damage, Start off with low health, etc); winning these battles will result in earning Gems. Between battles, those Gems can be used to purchase Guards (other characters that work under you), or purchase other events and scenarios.

Note that within the battles of Mercenary Mode there will sometimes be a Yellow team; should the Yellow team have a female unique officer (Like Nene or Ina), you can obtain an Orb from her. Those Orbs can help boost your weapon dramatically. The FAQ provided above has a method for glitching the Orbs so that you can obtain multiples.

The first method for beating Mercenary Mode is the Unification way. To do this, as per the guide’s recommendation, fight for a certain Lord multiple times. When selecting a battle, you will fight for the alliance that first appears, i.e. Tokugawa v. Azai; you will fight the Azai with the Tokugawa house.

After some battles, you will receive a reward from the Lord of that house (as per our example, Ieyasu will give you a reward in the Event menu). After the second reward, according to the guide, you will then join the House of that Lord through the Event Menu, it will cost 50 Gems so hopefully you’ve been saving up! If you’ve been concentrating on this, you should have it by Stage 15 or so. You should then take part in battles associated with that House, it’s pretty much the first stage you see from now on. You will again receive rewards from that house, and the guide says after 2 additional rewards (this would be your 4th reward) you will be “getting close”; be sure to check the Event menu every 2 battles or so to see if the Unification of Japan battle appears; it will not cost any Gems. It’s rice and ramen with a fork from there and you should get the achievement pretty easily.

To beat Mercenary Mode the second way, you must obtain all 10 Precious Swords; doing this will take 99 Stages, so be ready to 4-5 hours maybe. To minimize time, choose stages that are easy to navigate (Shikoku, Kyushu) and just go after the main targets; there are 3 types: one commander; two commanders; and three Lieutenants. Never go for “Low Health” rule, as that just increases the chance for your commander to die earlier, thus adding time.

Last edited by Ruq; 04-04-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Ruq

Ruqulas's Gamercard
(Third Step Cont.):

This list is in the FAQ, but I will provide the Stages around which the swords will appear and how many Gems the event costs from the Event Menu (I would like to restate here that any and all information I pilfer from this guide is credited to it’s creator, and I’m simply giving you the consolidated information for use as an achievement guide):

1st sword:
Event Offering from Merchant
30 Gems
Around Stage 20

2nd sword:
Secret Mission: Guarding the Princess 2
(I am not sure if you need to complete Guarding the Princess 1, but it seemed so to me)
20 Gems
Around stage 27
(Received in the Event Menu after the Mission is compeleted)

3rd sword:
Secret Mission: Kagemusha
20 Gems
Around stage 36

4th sword:
Event Offering From Peasant
30 Gems
Around stage 41

5th sword:
Secret Mission: Treasure Theft/ Bounty Hunter
15 Gems
Around stage 44

6th sword:
Secret Mission: Mighty Swordsmen/ Swordsmen’s Challenge
25 Gems
Around stage 51

7th sword:
Secret Mission: Hero of the Battle Field/ Lone Horseman
20 Gems
Around stage 71

8th sword:
Event: Offering From the Noble
30 Gems
Around stage 81

9th sword:
Secret Mission: Dream Team/ Unbeatable Alliance
25 Gems
Around stage 86

10th sword
Event: Reward from the Shoguns
40 Gems
Around stage 99

Once you obtain all 10 swords, “Battle for Supremacy” will appear in the Stage menu.

This battle is tricky and according to the guide, difficult.

You start off killing 300 enemies; the guide suggests knocking off officers to make things easier later.
Upon hitting 300, three unique officers will appear. They will be hunting for you so take them out as quickly as possible.

Once they are defeated you will save and then earn the achievement!

By now you should be around level 60, you could easily even be 70 (the cap), with some or all stats maxed and a fully pimped level 4 or 5 weapon.

Now you’re more than ready for Survival Mode, which will get you that last 50 GS with Ranmaru Mori Unlocked (Or the other 2 Achievements if you’re not into the whole 2.4K MSP)

Last edited by Ruq; 04-04-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:45 AM   #6
Ruq

Ruqulas's Gamercard
Step Four: Survival Mode

According to forum posts and google searches this one’s a pain. We’re going for Ranmaru Mori (I’m assuming you have XL and bough the two guards). Essentially as the guide says, during certain floors we choose a certain chain of quests:

Floor 1: Ranmaru’s Request
Floor 6: Keiji’s Request
Floor 11: Mitsuhide’s Request
Floor 16: Anything
Floor 21: Mitsuhide’s Request 2
Floor 26: Anything
Floor 31: Ranmaru’s Request 2
Floor 35: Upon clearing this floor you will receive Ranmaru

Mitsuhide’s request is kind of hard this faq has the information on it, but I’ll break it down: don’t get spotted, and on the rooms where you need to “get information” watch the path of the guards.

In the first one of that sequence you need to get the information from the room in the SouthEast; the guard goes in an “r” shape through the three rooms; go into the middle room as he is leaving it into the north or south room, then go into the room north of the information room via the north entrance as the guard leaves that room; he will not come back for a little bit and it gives you enough time to listen to the conversation

The second time you encounter the scenario there are 3 rooms and 2 guards and the guards’ timings are different. The guide said that the information in the northwestern room was required; but the door didn’t unlock for me until the more central room was eavesdropped, so I’ll give my path and if someone has a different one let me know:

Start off in the southwesternmost room, it’s very tiny but no guard goes in there. Watch the guards and you’ll see their pattern well enough; there are two rooms north of you and then the infantry room. Wait until both guards are heading away from the two rooms north of you and then dash up to that room; listen and then dash back down. Now just worry about the lower guard; go back to the room with the green stairs (south stairs) and go one room more to the east and wait for the lower guard to cross you going west, once he leaves the room north of you dash out and go into the next room and head immediately for the yellow stairs on the eastern wall. Once here, wait for the guard up on top to go west and once he leaves the room where the north gate of the central room is, dash in and listen. Once Mitsuhide starts talking, dash back to the stairs and head up the next level.

In Ranmaru’s Second Request, when the time comes pick the rightmost staircase. You’ll know what I mean when you get there.

When you’re done whaling on Mitsuhide, save and leave and you’ll get the 50 GS.

It’s apparently not that hard if you’re level 70 (I did all this as Nobunaga) so don’t fret too much; if you did Mercenary Mode before this then you’ll totally be fine.

Final Step:

Okay so lastly, take care of anything you haven’t done. This should just be playing Sugoroku if you haven’t and beating all 6 of the XL characters:

Toshiie Maeda
Gracia
Motochiko Chosokabe
Yoshimoto Imagawa
Kojiro Sasaki
Katsuie Shabata

For this part…you don’t have to I got them all to level 22, but I did using Mercenary Mode before any of the stories. Gracia is apparantly a godlike character but I don’t really see it; in order to do anything you have to use your standard Charge Attack to fill your Musou, then (provided you have level 3) whale on them with your uberbeam of plasma-wind…stuff… Otherwise she’s really annoying (to me).

After this…well now you’re done! Congratulations on another 100% yo.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:36 AM   #7
Primate

the primal 1's Gamercard
Thanks for taking the time to do this man, Im going to mess around with this game in the next few weeks and will certainly be referring to your guide
Old 12-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
Hardi

xXXHardixXX's Gamercard
Thumbs up

Ruq, thanks a lot for this detailed guide especially for the Mercenary Mode part which can't be found in the official achievement guide so far.
Hardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #9
Nuffzx

Nuffzx's Gamercard
Wow, the DLC costs like x4 more then I paid for the game :/

Nuffzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
Hente

Optima Shift's Gamercard
Is there any way to delete the patch after i've downloaded it by accident? :\

Hente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #11
HappyJuice82

HappyJuice82's Gamercard
Mercenary Mode

For SW2 Expansion the Mercenary Mode. Can you do both achievement endings with the same character for the getting all the swords and becoming the strongest in the land and then do the unification of the land battle?...or once you do one of the other it is over for that character you are using. Just wondering thanks if anyone can answer this it would save lots of time if you can do both :-) .
HappyJuice82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:52 AM   #12
Ruq

Ruqulas's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hente View Post
Is there any way to delete the patch after i've downloaded it by accident? :
Yes, go into your System Settings and into Memory. Select your HDD and go to the SW2/XL game, and there will be a specific file labelled as XL. Simply delete that, although you may need to replay as any of the character's you've already beaten if you've integrated your old save with the XL save, but I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyJuice82 View Post
For SW2 Expansion the Mercenary Mode. Can you do both achievement endings with the same character for the getting all the swords and becoming the strongest in the land and then do the unification of the land battle?...or once you do one of the other it is over for that character you are using. Just wondering thanks if anyone can answer this it would save lots of time if you can do both :-) .
Well if what you mean is you can do it in one save, the answer is technically no, but you can try making two saves and then in one save doing the Unification Battle, and then load the other save and just pick up from where you left off, ignoring the Unification Battle and proceeding on with the Conquerer quest.

Hope that info helps. I still check my guide every now and then so feel free to ask questions.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #13
Hente

Optima Shift's Gamercard
Wait, by patch, do you mean DLC, or that update (If you didn't get it, you were signed out of XBL) that they made you get?
Just re-read the guide and saw that you said the patched required 2600 MSP, a bit confused now...

Hente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
Ruq

Ruqulas's Gamercard
Late reply, sorry.

I think I meant to call it an Expansion and didn't. But yes, the XL DLC is what I was referring to in the guide; there is a patch to download as well that costs nothing and is actually mandatory if you want to play, because otherwise it will not connect you to xbox live, and you must save while being connected to xbox live in order to get any achievements.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #15
morbiddrummer

I just ran through the game again beating all of the characters that you listed. However I did download the expansion before I did this, but after I got all of the achievements for it I deleted it and all of the saved XL games but the Miyamoto achievement still hasn't unlocked. do I still have to play it with the remaining characters even though I deleted the DLC??

Last edited by morbiddrummer; 10-08-2010 at 11:10 PM.
morbiddrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:09 AM   #16
morbiddrummer

sorry, scratch that, I didn't see Oichi at the bottom of the list. I played her campaign and got the achievement. Thanks for the roadmap, very cool of you to take the time to do that for us.
morbiddrummer is offline   Reply With Quote