Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Damnation
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Bleeding Star

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Does anyone actually like this?

During development ths game certainly looked decent, when it was released in all honesty I was shocked at all the negative reviews it got, I honestly do not believe that the game can possibly be as bad as the reviews make out

Its only £17.99 in my local Gamestation and I have around £61 store credit, Im so SOOO tempted to pick this up but I thought Id ask if there was anyone on these boards that actually liked it?

Im certainly not gonna buy it if everything everyone is saying about it is 100% true, but if there are any people who do like this game could I possibly get like a little minireview of it?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Epilogue of Euphoria

Gen Panzer's Gamercard
The game is honestly NOT that bad. People just spend too much comparing it to everything else and can't what is actually in front of them. The game has it's flaws but so does everything. Ever the fabled "Prototype" is a pain in the ass from time to time (none responsive controls half the time).

The story could/should have spent a little more time in the fire and the driving aspects of the game as well. Don't go in to this game (should you get it) thinking its a shooter, at its heart Damnation is a platforming game. The environments are massive and rather enjoyable to move around in, and the controls can take a while to get used to though. People complain about the graphics being bad but I don't care cause that's not what makes a game, period. The shooting isn't that bad but it's not that good either, when compared to the platforming you can tell it just feels out of place. It probably should have spent more time in development but its not as bad as most people would lead you to believe.
Epilogue of Euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
crymepayz

crymepayz's Gamercard
This game is terrible... nuff said.
crymepayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:41 AM   #4
NUTZILLA313

NUTZILLA313's Gamercard
The game is pretty damn bad I must say. Though it did get a little better as it went on, but not much, even though I pretty much hate it. They tried to put wayyy too much other crap into a 3rd person shooter. Like Prince of Persia jumping all over the place, Tomb Raider with having no idea where to go most of the time. It's pretty amazing that they can get away with releasing such low-level trash these days, with the high standards that other great games have set. Pretty disappointing I must say.
NUTZILLA313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Bleeding Star

I rented it and in all honesty could not bring myself to even complete the tutorial

Guess the reviews were rright
Old 07-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
Epilogue of Euphoria

Gen Panzer's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Star View Post
I rented it and in all honesty could not bring myself to even complete the tutorial

Guess the reviews were rright
So, you're decision is based on you NOT actually playing the game?
Old 07-11-2009, 01:44 AM   #7
StolenPaper18

StolenPaper18's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Yea, wasn't very impressed...Good thing I only rented it.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
Bleeding Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epilogue of Euphoria View Post
So, you're decision is based on you NOT actually playing the game?
my decision is based on the controls being so utterly shit that it was taking far too fucking long for me to even be bothered to complete the tutorial
Old 07-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
Epilogue of Euphoria

Gen Panzer's Gamercard
Quote:
my decision is based on the controls being so utterly shit that it was taking far too fucking long for me to even be bothered to complete the tutorial
So, I take it you can't walk and chew gum at the same time too then?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
Bleeding Star

o haha, Im sorry but to reload Im not fucking pretending to aim at something and the click the LS, who the hell reloads on a LS click

the control scheme was shocking
Old 07-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #11
The Ben Machine

The Ben Machine's Gamercard
I gotta say, Im not convinced by this game, Ive only rented it because I wasnt sure, but Im struggling to: a) enjoy it & b) NOT compare it to Gears 1.

I mean, lets face it, the similarities are blindingly obvious despite a good attempt on my part to ignore them

Dont get me wrong though, I`ll finish the blighter, but I doubt I`ll go so far as to mop-up the achievements. Theres just a few too many glitches & minor annoyances to make this... Fun? Maybe thats a little harsh, but it has been rushed a tad too much, with perhaps a few too many corners cut.

To sum up, it was a good effort on the devs part, but in future, a little polishing goes a long way during this Sequel/Remake generation of gaming.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

Oh and for the record, the controls are a tad odd, but games dont ALWAYS have the same layout. I went from prototype to this and kept hitting X to fire -_-

Last edited by The Ben Machine; 07-12-2009 at 10:55 PM.
The Ben Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:38 AM   #12
Epilogue of Euphoria

Gen Panzer's Gamercard
Quote:
o haha, Im sorry but to reload Im not fucking pretending to aim at something and the click the LS, who the hell reloads on a LS click

the control scheme was shocking
I never knew A.D.D. was such a rampant problem.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #13
Bleeding Star

Quote:
I never knew A.D.D. was such a rampant problem.
whatever dude, Im not gonna argue with you over this, the game was shit, the controls were shit, the graphics were shit, the platforming was shit, the gun play was shit

if you dont like my opinion then quite frankly stop fucking talking because all you're doing is coming up with stupid fucking comebacks and shitty little phrases

talk bout the fucking game or shut the fuck up
Old 07-14-2009, 02:17 AM   #14
EliteShadowMan

EliteShadowMan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
whatever dude, Im not gonna argue with you over this, the game was shit, the controls were shit, the graphics were shit, the platforming was shit, the gun play was shit

if you dont like my opinion then quite frankly stop fucking talking because all you're doing is coming up with stupid fucking comebacks and shitty little phrases

The game wasnt that bad -.-. At least play the game through the tiny first act before saying everythings bad.

The only problem i had with the game was that you died way to freaking fast. put it on hardcore right away and found myself dying at least every minute or so otherwise its pretty enjoyable if u can get into it
Old 07-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
Epilogue of Euphoria

Gen Panzer's Gamercard
Quote:

No, Iím just showing your intellectual insufficiency. More to the point, your opinion of game you didnít actually play (for more than two to five minutes) and your superficial conclusion of such, which lives in immediate dismissal.

Alas we are entitled to that which we profess to believe, so thus ends this duel of articulation.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
Ulquiorra14405

XxSin AngelxX's Gamercard
Quote:
No, I’m just showing your intellectual insufficiency. More to the point, your opinion of game you didn’t actually play (for more than two to five minutes) and your superficial conclusion of such, which lives in immediate dismissal.

Alas we are entitled to that which we profess to believe, so thus ends this duel of articulation.
seems we got a fanboy of the game who doesn't like it being bashed...i've played it for quite a few hours and agree with bleeding...its complete garbage the controls utterly sucked, the story was stupid, the platforming was pretty bad, the graphics were sub par and don't even get me started on the gun play.. i thought it would be good from watching all the videos before it came out but it wasn't, luckily i rented it first before i bought it....i should go demand my money back from blockbuster because it was so bad >.>

And

"I helped my uncle jack off a horse"
Ulquiorra14405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #17
Exane22

Exane22's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I heard the game grows on you after a while, but that the beginning is almost too unbearable to go through. Im on the fence about putting this in my gamefly queue, not really sure if I should put myself through it or not :/
Old 07-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #18
irift3

irift3's Gamercard
Quote:
No, Iím just showing your intellectual insufficiency. More to the point, your opinion of game you didnít actually play (for more than two to five minutes) and your superficial conclusion of such, which lives in immediate dismissal.

Poor baby got it's feelings hurt. I didn't even play the game and I can tell you it sucks XD. Momma used to tell me never to judge a book by it's cover, but the hat the guy wears looks fucking stupid as hell. I will never let my precious 360 come within 60 miles of this shitty looking game. Of course if this game is a pretty easy 1k, then that's a different story =D.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #19
appare13

appare13's Gamercard
I`ve finished chapter 2 yesterday (playing coop on insane), and the game is not THAT bad after all, though it could have been MUCH better if the developers had spent more time with polishing.
It`s more like an platformer instead of a shooter what kinda suprised me.
appare13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #20
MikeinSC

DaMikeSC's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteShadowMan View Post
The game wasnt that bad -.-. At least play the game through the tiny first act before saying everythings bad.

The only problem i had with the game was that you died way to freaking fast. put it on hardcore right away and found myself dying at least every minute or so otherwise its pretty enjoyable if u can get into it
I did it. The game is shit.

100% Retail --- 71

100% Arcade --- 29
MikeinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #21
la409pete

la409pete's Gamercard
people only hate this game because they expected it to be a shooter, yes the controls arent all that great, yes the camera isnt the best in the world but you ALL know that you have played much much worse games if you take this for what it is its seriously a rent not a buy but not "total crap"
Old 07-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #22
Masklin

SILVERsifDURFER's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
I found the game boring at first but stuck with it and I don't think it's that bad.

Yeah, the controls aint great but I'm not having a problem with them. As for it being compared to Gears, why??

Overall I'd say it was at least worth a rental

Completed Games
Masklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:36 AM   #23
jayson583

jayson583's Gamercard
lemmie describe to yall about how bad it is in one sentence

Ive purchased games like enchanted arms and timeshift and played through the whole story till the end for both of them and STILL i cant get through the whole story in this game without feeling shiela (my xbox) die a little inside, ok that sentence didnt make much sence but im tired so screw it, and i agree with bleeding
--------------------
4=Retail games complete=4
--------------------
halo 3 (1250/1250)
tomb raider legend (1000/1000)
tomb raider underworld (1000/1000)
spider web of shadows (1000/1000)

----------------------
5=Arcade games complete=5
----------------------
dig dug (200/200)
dash of destruction (200/200)
the maw (210/230)
battlefield: 1943 (200/200)
castle crashers (200/200)
jayson583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:58 AM   #24
MikeinSC

DaMikeSC's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by la409pete View Post
people only hate this game because they expected it to be a shooter, yes the controls arent all that great, yes the camera isnt the best in the world but you ALL know that you have played much much worse games if you take this for what it is its seriously a rent not a buy but not "total crap"
So, outside of a terrible camera and terrible controls, it's not a bad game?

Playing worse games not magically make this game less than pure crap.

100% Retail --- 71

100% Arcade --- 29
MikeinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #25
rx32degrepber

timmy2447's Gamercard
I dont think its not all that bad, and ya its not the best either. but thats just me. it just gets some use to, thats about it.
rx32degrepber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:27 AM   #26
Armoxial

Armoxial's Gamercard
Very bad game quite honestly. Pretty much one of the worst games I have played for the 360.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:41 AM   #27
i Eat Kittenzx

Furppe's Gamercard
Uhh its not that bad i suppose but Im playing Co-op with my Girlfriend so i suppose that helps i didn't like Kane and Lynch until me and a mate played it co-op it just helps the game when someone else is there to chat with you as the game is played.

Idno why everyone is absolutely going off about it i mean if you didnt like the game and couldnt play it then why are you in the forum for a game you cant play? Just seems like an utter waste of time .. people need to grow up
i Eat Kittenzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #28
Blood DM

Blood DM's Gamercard
1/5

Compared to other games this one is far below par.

For a start there are only 6 levels. Everyone drags on for about 2 hours due to the stupid level lay outs.

nuff said :P
Blood DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #29
Plaguewielder

PLAGUEWIELDER87's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
I love the title of this thread because those are the exact words I was thinking when it came to this game.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:10 AM   #30
Plaguewielder

PLAGUEWIELDER87's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Quote:
The game is honestly NOT that bad. People just spend too much comparing it to everything else and can't what is actually in front of them. The game has it's flaws but so does everything. Ever the fabled "Prototype" is a pain in the ass from time to time (none responsive controls half the time).

The story could/should have spent a little more time in the fire and the driving aspects of the game as well. Don't go in to this game (should you get it) thinking its a shooter, at its heart Damnation is a platforming game. The environments are massive and rather enjoyable to move around in, and the controls can take a while to get used to though. People complain about the graphics being bad but I don't care cause that's not what makes a game, period. The shooting isn't that bad but it's not that good either, when compared to the platforming you can tell it just feels out of place. It probably should have spent more time in development but its not as bad as most people would lead you to believe.
Excellently put, sir.