PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Shooter > Wolfenstein 3D
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
collapsedbeef

Send a message via AIM to collapsedbeef

Cosmic Katamari's Gamercard
Stuck on Episode 2 - Level 8?

There is a huge maze which Apogee themselves never supported help on. From the original manual, it was stated to save before going in, in case you get stuck.

Quote:
"Call Apogee and say Aardwolf." It's a sign that to this day is something that I get asked about a lot. This is a sign that appears on a wall in a particularly nasty maze in Episode 2 Level 8 of Wolfenstein 3D. The sign was to be the goal in a contest Apogee was going to have, but almost immediately after the game's release, a large amount of cheat and mapping programs were released. With these programs running around, we felt that it would have been unfair to have the contest and award a prize. The sign was still left in the game, but in hindsight, probably should have been taken out. To this day, Apogee gets letters and phone calls and asking what Aardwolf is, frequently with the question, "Has anyone seen this yet?"
http://www.mac-archive.com/wolfenstein/facts.html
20,000 Points on 11/12/2009 (During NCAA Football 09)
collapsedbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
E vee dub

Send a message via AIM to E vee dub

E vee dub's Gamercard
Aardwolf... yeah I read about this.

My girlfriend and I read up on this subject on Wikipedia when we looked up the enemy names.

It's interesting, but the contest never happened because word leaked out before the company could even set up the contest. Now the quote is said to be removed from the game and replaced with just a set of bones.

I went through this maze and carefully followed the map to the top room and found Hans Grosse waiting. He killed me and my last save was at the beginning of the maze. Urgh

Here you go: (from Wikipedia)
Aborted contest attempts

Level E2M8 features a giant hidden "pushwall" maze consisting of 181 nearly identical 2x2 rooms. Depending on the path taken through the maze, the player is eventually led to treasure, an extra life, or a surprise encounter with Hans Grosse, the head guard of Castle Wolfenstein. One and only one correct path leads to a room containing a sign saying "Call Apogee Say Aardwolf." (In some versions there is also an extra life in this room.) This was to have been part of a contest, where the first person to find the sign and carry out its instructions would have won a prize. While no prize was ever decided, preliminary discussion suggested the prize may be registered copies of all Apogee games for life.

However, because the first level editors and cheat programs for the game were released within days of the full version of
Wolfenstein 3D, many players were able to find the sign with minimal effort. Additionally, a cheat code was soon discovered and published that allowed the player to view all of the in-game sprites, including the "Aardwolf" sign. As a result, the planned contest was abandoned before it was ever officially announced, or the grand prize even settled upon. The maze and the sign were left in the game as Easter eggs; a text file included with the registered version distributed by Apogee explained the story behind the "Aardwolf" sign and asked gamers not to call in and say it (many did anyway). A 1997 commercial re-release by Activision removed the sign and replaced it with graphics depicting a pile of bones.

After completing an episode, the player is given a three-letter code in addition to a total score and time. This was part of a high-score contest that was abandoned for similar reasons to the "Aardwolf" one; the code would have been used to verify that a player got that score legitimately, without use of cheat codes.

Wolfenstein 3d 200/200.

NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY
RALEIGH, N.C.
"CLASS OF 2005"
"THE WOLFPACK"

Last edited by E vee dub; 06-06-2009 at 10:17 AM.
E vee dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Stevey Boy2006

Original Bstard's Gamercard
You dont even need to enter the maze to finish the level...
Take a look at this map
Old 06-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Lara Croft

LaraCroftAngel's Gamercard
found this on another forum
still not sure how to get all the treasure/pickups and 100% in this level
Old 02-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
McBazil

Bazil03's Gamercard
100% Impossible

Everything I've read on the subject of this level states that it is not possible to 100% everything.
McBazil is offline   Reply With Quote