PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Adventure > Sam & Max Save the World
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
tastefulmrship

Sarone T C's Gamercard
Cool A brilliant year for adventurers!

Wow! This is a great year to be at least 30-something, a little portly, slightly sweaty in the arm-pit area, with a flour-speckled beard and dermatologically-allergic to the sun! *
We've got the four Wallace & Gromit episodes, both Sam & Max Seasons and, of course, the new Secret of Monkey Island SPECIAL EDITION coming to XBLA over the next few months! But, and this isn't an advertisement **, TellTale have just announced NEW Monkey Island adventures for the PC! Five more Guybrush mis-adventures to bring-up repressed memores of why we ALL hated (and loved, in equal measure) LucasArts in the 80s! I hope TellTale release them on XBLA for us to enjoy as well!

Oh, and what has happened to Penny Arcade Adventures EPISODE 3? Is that still on? (I know, it's an RPG, rather than an adventure, but it's the closest thing we had before Wallace & Gromit came out! And, despite being overpriced, they were quite fun!)

* (This is a generalisation, okay! But, I bet most of you who love true adventure games fall, even if slightly, into that analogy! I know I do!)

** (No web-links, no 'buy this or the booty gets it' messages, no screenshots, no nothing! I ain't being paid to advertise these games, why the hell should I put in the work?)
tastefulmrship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Epleskrell

StoodBridge's Gamercard
Yep, you're right
Epleskrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
fake0815

fake0815's Gamercard
I hope these games are sucessful and LucasArts bring's some other remakes to XBL like:

Maniac Mansion
Zak McKracken
Loom
Monkey Island 2
Indiana Jones 3+4
Day of the Tentacle
The Dig
Sam and Max Hit the Road
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango

That would be
fake0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
velho lobodomar

velho lobodomar's Gamercard
yes you´re right!
i wish they could release all the monkey island series, not only the first one.
i also liked a lot legend of kyrandia. i hope they release em on xbla too
last retail: Gears of War

xbla + dlc: 3
xbla: 52
last arcade: Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
velho lobodomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
jab1981

jimmystewart's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastefulmrship View Post
Wow! This is a great year to be at least 30-something, a little portly, slightly sweaty in the arm-pit area, with a flour-speckled beard and dermatologically-allergic to the sun! *
We've got the four Wallace & Gromit episodes, both Sam & Max Seasons and, of course, the new Secret of Monkey Island SPECIAL EDITION coming to XBLA over the next few months! But, and this isn't an advertisement **, TellTale have just announced NEW Monkey Island adventures for the PC! Five more Guybrush mis-adventures to bring-up repressed memores of why we ALL hated (and loved, in equal measure) LucasArts in the 80s! I hope TellTale release them on XBLA for us to enjoy as well!

* (This is a generalisation, okay! But, I bet most of you who love true adventure games fall, even if slightly, into that analogy! I know I do!)
I've got to say I agree 100%! I've been going around to my friends and family like a lunatic ever since TellTale bought the rights to Sam and Max. Now with the MI news... I've been out of control. It really is my wildest dream come true. It's been too long of a drought for me. These are the games I lived for!

But! Your message made me feel really OLD! Being in my mid to late twenties, I can attest that not all of us old-school adventure gamers have crossed the 30 year mark (well on the way to senior status). And, since I still retain some of my youth and memory I had to point out that these games weren't actually games we were loving in the 80s. They were very much a product of the 90s! The original Secret of Monkey Island was released in 1990. I believe only two graphic adventures were released by LucasArts (LucasFilm at the time) in the 80s. Zak McKraken in 87 and the Last Crusade Indy game in 89.

I'm so glad that LucasArts, the best at graphic adventure in the 90s, is teaming up with the current graphic adventure leaders at TellTale. Hopefully Monkey Island proves as successful as Sam and Max and they'll continue to bring back their old franchises! I'd love to see a Maniac Mansion 3 (in the style of Day of the Tentacle). Although more Grim Fandango and Full Throttle would be great as well. And like fake said, I'd just love to play the rest of the back catalog as it is! I really really hope this is the first of many. All this news recently has made me so happy!

"You'd be surprised how little I knew even up to yesterday." - Jack Kerouac
jab1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #6
BWOzar

BWOzar's Gamercard
I'm right with you guys, I really had a good time with Wallace and Gromit (I actually got up early to play - and beat - it before work) and I'm psyched to see Sam and Max coming out so soon.

I know they've been mentioned on here already (and not to discount the many other classics mentioned) but what I wouldn't do for a new (or remade) Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle or Grim Fandango...
Old 06-12-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
tastefulmrship

Sarone T C's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab1981 View Post
But! Your message made me feel really OLD! Being in my mid to late twenties, I can attest that not all of us old-school adventure gamers have crossed the 30 year mark (well on the way to senior status). And, since I still retain some of my youth and memory I had to point out that these games weren't actually games we were loving in the 80s. They were very much a product of the 90s! The original Secret of Monkey Island was released in 1990. I believe only two graphic adventures were released by LucasArts (LucasFilm at the time) in the 80s. Zak McKraken in 87 and the Last Crusade Indy game in 89.
Sorry for the error! I've played so many adventure games over the years that decades, even centuries, are a blur to me! I knew they did some stuff in the 80s, but couldn't remember exactly what! And their other stuff was early 90s, so I wasn't far off!

I vote for GRIM FANDANGO on XBLA! We need more Glottis & The Bone Wagon!
How about an updated LONGEST JOURNEY bundle with DREAMFALL and cheeves for each title? Guybrush even appears in the LONGEST JOURNEY in toy form, as a nod to the CHIMPANZEE ARCHIPELAGO series!

Minor Update; Wallace & Gromit: Episode 3 is released next Tuesday (16th) on PC with Sam & Max Season One on XBLA on the Wednesday (17th). A great week for TellTale titles!
Old 06-13-2009, 06:17 AM   #8
PomP

Ahhh Grim Fandango, I never did manage to finish it. I didnt have the internet in those days so no sneaky looking at FAQ's. I'd love to play though all those graphic adventures again in the comfort of my armchair as opposed to being hunched over the PC.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
tunaleg

Tunaleg's Gamercard
I am 26, I remember getting SoMI bundled with Loom when I was like 10.. loved it and the Sierra classics too. So glad we're getting some old school adventuring on 360. Oh yeah and ToMI, that's super exciting
tunaleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #10
Zee

Zee pso's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I've just played Thur all the MI again to get ready for the Tales of MI, and MI:SE. MI is one of my favorite games of all times and I'm glad that 5 game contract finally was good for something.

Another awesome thing is that I actually got Sam and Max for free. I won that Wendy's promotional thing for 1600 MPs. Now im glad I waited for the 360 version. (Although I have no idea why)

Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
RIOTsmile

RIOTsmile's Gamercard
These kinds of threads always make me a little depressed... imagining what kind of achievements games COULD have, especially the really clever games like the ones mentioned. Just like wishing I could play the Xbox originals with chieves, if only to see what they'd come up with for games like Psychonauts. Sigh. Still, it'd be a glorious day to see them port Grim...

RETAIL: 50 / ARCADE: 43
RIOTsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #12
Aphrodite1

Sublimosis's Gamercard
You guys should check out this site. ScummVM is a must have emulator for any self respecting adventure fan.

http://www.scummvm.org/

Currently working on:

Retail: Bioshock Infinite
Arcade: Brothers, Mickey Castle of Illusion, Walking Dead Season 2
Aphrodite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
Murakaless

StucksTOzaVALL's Gamercard
Here is a crazy question for you guys...........any one know how I can get my hands on a copy of Grim Fandango that will work with Windows XP?

Murakaless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #14
tastefulmrship

Sarone T C's Gamercard
If someone can answer this fine-man's question, I'd be most grateful too! It just won't run under XP! DANG IT!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #15
Murakaless

There might be a patch or something but see for me the problem is huge. Why, do you ask?

Simple...............I have never played the game and I need to.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #16
tastefulmrship

Sarone T C's Gamercard
Try this;
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=171217

... ... ... time to dig through PILES of CDs & find GF!
(Dang it! I've just found my CDs and one of them, disc 2, is in pieces! Time to resort to torrents. Boo! Hiss!)

Last edited by tastefulmrship; 06-18-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Unbe-f**king-lievable
Old 06-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #17
Murakaless

Thank you very much kind sir.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #18
tastefulmrship

Sarone T C's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murakaless View Post
Thank you very much kind sir.
Don't thank me yet, we don't know if it works or not!
Old 06-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #19
Murakaless

Good point.

Right now I am at work so I'll have to check it out when I get home later.

I guess I was just thanking you in advanced.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #20
Murakaless

I'm really sorry guys I know this is not the Grim forum but does anyone know a way to get the game and be able to load it and play it with out having to burn the ISO files?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #21
Firegod83

Firegod83's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Agree with what you said (even though im 25..) but, since no one else commented on the PAA Episode 3, HH Games finally spoke out on that they have been working on it, theres no new news on it but its not been forgotten, they have had a change in CEO's so things got turned upside down
They posted originally on their forums, and then the main thread on the PA Forums for PAA

Firegod83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #22
BTMX Skp2TheEnd

Murray Calavera's Gamercard
Bring on Grim Fandango, Full Throttle & Curse of monkey island (Murray = Best NPC EVER!!).
100% Retail - Fifa 08, Cod4, Fallout 3, Tiger Woods 09, PES6, Top Spin 2, Obivion, FNR3, Assassins Creed 1&2, Dead Space, Condemned, Mass Effect, Skate 2, Pure, Tenchu Z, Bioshock (The balls have finally been brassed! lol).

100% Arcade - Dash of Destruction, Sam & Max:STW, Fable II:PG, 1 vs 100, Battlefield 1943, Monkey Island 2:SE, Secret of Monkey Island:SE.

BTMX Skp2TheEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #23
Murakaless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodite1 View Post
You guys should check out this site. ScummVM is a must have emulator for any self respecting adventure fan.

http://www.scummvm.org/
If I don't have the original games what data files do I need to find and download to use this emulator?

Just the ISO's or.....................

Help!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. - Sorry about the help thing I just have been dying to play these games that sadly I missed all those years ago.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #24
RIOTsmile

RIOTsmile's Gamercard
I love being proven wrong. Post in here last night about how tragic it is to think about these games getting ported to XBLA since it won't happen, then front page on x360 today is the story about LucasArts saying Monkey Island might just be the beginning... Ugh, now I've got expectations!

RETAIL: 50 / ARCADE: 43
RIOTsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:58 AM   #25
Zee

Zee pso's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
This work for me getting Grim Fandango to work with XP. http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=195709

Strange as I tried to run it in windows 98 mode but the cut scenes lag, but CMI works just fine in Windows 95 mode.

Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #26
Aphrodite1

Sublimosis's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murakaless View Post
If I don't have the original games what data files do I need to find and download to use this emulator?

Just the ISO's or.....................

Help!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. - Sorry about the help thing I just have been dying to play these games that sadly I missed all those years ago.
If you don't have the original discs, you could try to get the required files by other means............Usenet

Currently working on:

Retail: Bioshock Infinite
Arcade: Brothers, Mickey Castle of Illusion, Walking Dead Season 2
Aphrodite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:32 AM   #27
ezekiel 08

ezekiel 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Gold   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodite1 View Post
If you don't have the original discs, you could try to get the required files by other means............Usenet
Lol. You better watch your head... And besides, the game is worth the money.

I remember I bought Curse of Monkey Island off eBay for 'new' and got the game on burnt disks, not even originals . Oh well, at least they work like the originals do (it was actually on two CD's ). If I'm not mistakes, they re-released CoMI for PC not that long ago, it shouldn't be hard to find, and is worth it's weight in cash. One of my all time favourite games on PC to date.

Completed Games [125] | Gamerscore Completion Rate [90.74%]

* retired gamerscore whore *
ezekiel 08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #28
tastefulmrship

Sarone T C's Gamercard
I finally got GF to work on XP and made it to the PETRIFIED FOREST before I got stuck!

Dang those Robert Frost balloons!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #29
BTMX Skp2TheEnd

Murray Calavera's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel 08 View Post
If I'm not mistakes, they re-released CoMI for PC not that long ago, it shouldn't be hard to find, and is worth it's weight in cash. One of my all time favourite games on PC to date.
Really? I must look into that. One of my favourite adventure games.
100% Retail - Fifa 08, Cod4, Fallout 3, Tiger Woods 09, PES6, Top Spin 2, Obivion, FNR3, Assassins Creed 1&2, Dead Space, Condemned, Mass Effect, Skate 2, Pure, Tenchu Z, Bioshock (The balls have finally been brassed! lol).

100% Arcade - Dash of Destruction, Sam & Max:STW, Fable II:PG, 1 vs 100, Battlefield 1943, Monkey Island 2:SE, Secret of Monkey Island:SE.

BTMX Skp2TheEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:00 AM   #30
Mordhaus

I would love TellTale eternally if they could remake Sam & Max Hit The Road in the new engine but keeping the original VA... don't even need new dialog, just rip the old voices straight from the disc and animate it appropriately.

Ah well... A man can dream, can't he?
Mordhaus is offline   Reply With Quote