PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Shinobi
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
T0b3

Send a message via ICQ to T0b3 Send a message via AIM to T0b3 Send a message via MSN to T0b3 Send a message via Yahoo to T0b3 Send a message via Skype™ to T0b3

t0b3 zero's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Gold   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
300k points

Hi,

can I attain 300,000 points while playing on the easiest difficulty?

Thanks

Edit: Nope, you can't. You end up with 250,000 or so. What an annoying game.

100% Retail:
44 | 100% Arcade: 92
trueachievements
99999 GS achieved 09/07/2011

Last edited by T0b3; 06-10-2009 at 03:21 PM.
T0b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
WEEJOK

WEEJOK's Gamercard
You won't get 300k points on a normal playthrough, remember that if you complete any stage without firing any ninja stars/guns or using your magic then when you complete the level you get 20,000 bonus points! So it can be done on easy, doing this on a few levels I had 300k by the middle of the 4th mission!
Old 06-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
FF7 King

FF7 King's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEJOK View Post
You won't get 300k points on a normal playthrough, remember that if you complete any stage without firing any ninja stars/guns or using your magic then when you complete the level you get 20,000 bonus points! So it can be done on easy, doing this on a few levels I had 300k by the middle of the 4th mission!
Way to go =D But if you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you manage to get through a level without throwing shurikens/firing the gun? Did you melee all the enemies?
FF7 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
Aphrodite1

Sublimosis's Gamercard
Can you not just play normally through the game on the next difficulty level up to get 300K? This way you don't have to worry about not using magic/throwing shurikens?

I've not played this yet but will be getting it tonight. Like the other Sega games, the save feature should make a harder playthrough fairly easy and from what I remember Streets of Rage 2 gave more points on harder difficulty levels. Is this the same for Shinobi?

Currently working on:

Retail: Bioshock Infinite
Arcade: Brothers, Mickey Castle of Illusion, Walking Dead Season 2
Aphrodite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
Hashmap

Hashmap's Gamercard
I found an easy way to get the 300K.

Start up a game with 5 lives, 5 continues, difficulty should not matter, but I did hardest.

Play your way up to level 2-1. At the end of the level, the chopper first appears. There will be an infinite spawn of ninjas with it. Inch your way over so that the ninjas are not on the screen, but you can kill them with your stars. They will spawn about 1/second, and you will get 100 points for killing them. There might be a similar strategy on higher point targets, but since the ninjas are off screen, you never have to worry about getting killed, and you can just zone out for the 2+ minutes.

What you want to do is keep killing the ninjas, and let the time expire. Save after every death, and you will have 10K points per life. I was able to get the 300K on 2-1 using 2 or 3 continues. Since you have 25 lives, this shouldn't be a problem. It takes about 35 minutes (including playing chapter 1)
Hashmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
WEEJOK

WEEJOK's Gamercard
I'm sure there are many ways to boost your score up to 300k, myself I find it too boring to sit and just kill respawning enemies over and over. It's really not too hard to complete some of the earlier levels using only melee kills, you can save after you have killed a few enemies each time, then reload if you accidently shoot a star/gun. It's just down to personal preference on how you get the score.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
RPG Joe

RPG Joe's Gamercard
This game is my all time favorite! Now that itīs out I am soooo happy.
I donīt have any problems with the achievements, but Iīm not sure why some hostages gives you 200, 500, 1000 and sometimes even an extra life. Any of you guys know how that works?
RPG Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
T0b3

Send a message via ICQ to T0b3 Send a message via AIM to T0b3 Send a message via MSN to T0b3 Send a message via Yahoo to T0b3 Send a message via Skype™ to T0b3

t0b3 zero's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Gold   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashmap View Post
I found an easy way to get the 300K.

Start up a game with 5 lives, 5 continues, difficulty should not matter, but I did hardest.

Play your way up to level 2-1. At the end of the level, the chopper first appears. There will be an infinite spawn of ninjas with it. Inch your way over so that the ninjas are not on the screen, but you can kill them with your stars. They will spawn about 1/second, and you will get 100 points for killing them. There might be a similar strategy on higher point targets, but since the ninjas are off screen, you never have to worry about getting killed, and you can just zone out for the 2+ minutes.

What you want to do is keep killing the ninjas, and let the time expire. Save after every death, and you will have 10K points per life. I was able to get the 300K on 2-1 using 2 or 3 continues. Since you have 25 lives, this shouldn't be a problem. It takes about 35 minutes (including playing chapter 1)
Hey, cool. Will try that later.

Thanks!

100% Retail:
trueachievements
Old 06-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Aphrodite1

Sublimosis's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashmap View Post
This is a great method although I'm confused about how you did it with only 2 or 3 continues?

As you say its 10K points per life with this method. With 5 continues and 5 lives giving 25 lives by my reckoning 25 x 10K is 250K, 50K short of the 300K.

I'm playing it now, and I've hit the end of Stage 2-1 (got a perfect bonus round on the way) with about 55K. I'm playing it on easy, don't know if the scoring is different on harder settings, but this method should work a treat. But you will need to use pretty much all of your 25 lives.

Currently working on:

Retail: Bioshock Infinite
Arcade: Brothers, Mickey Castle of Illusion, Walking Dead Season 2
Aphrodite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
Hashmap

Hashmap's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodite1 View Post
This is a great method although I'm confused about how you did it with only 2 or 3 continues?

As you say its 10K points per life with this method. With 5 continues and 5 lives giving 25 lives by my reckoning 25 x 10K is 250K, 50K short of the 300K.

I'm playing it now, and I've hit the end of Stage 2-1 (got a perfect bonus round on the way) with about 55K. I'm playing it on easy, don't know if the scoring is different on harder settings, but this method should work a treat. But you will need to use pretty much all of your 25 lives.
I'm pretty sure that I used 3 continues, but I stopped at 250K, because I was also going for the Chopper Stopper achievement, and I knew I would be getting around 50K more on Chapter 2. I also had been respawning enemies on Chapter 1 with the extra time, so I might have come in with a bit more points. I think I had around 80K, so that leaves 170K...17 lives, which would be 3 continues counting extra men.

Either way, it should work out. If you're going to play through the whole game, you would only have to do this method for 100K, and you would finish with over 300k.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
T0b3

t0b3 zero's Gamercard

That method worked perfectly. 200/200! Thanks again!

100% Retail:
trueachievements
Old 06-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
kookyscientist

kookyscientist's Gamercard
I got around 354k without using a continue and with normal settings. I never used magic (although I did'nt get boni for not using it in the later levels). I got a special bonus (20.000) in the first level for not using shuriken. I got 1 perfect bonus round and used every life to boost the score a little (4k per life).

I'm No. 8 in the world and was wondering how the champ got 600k+ Now I know: he probably used the helicopter trick...

Anyone knows if you get a leaderboard entry with using continue?

However, it's an easy 200 since one can use instant save - I don't like that, it's no challenge at all and just for selling more games...

Last edited by kookyscientist; 06-12-2009 at 11:50 AM.
kookyscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
VonThronstahl

Throni360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Gold   Road Map - Gold   Submit - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookyscientist View Post
However, it's an easy 200 since one can use instant save - I don't like that, it's no challenge at all and just for selling more games...
Just don't use it if you want a challenge.
Bejeweled Live, Crash Time 4: The Syndicate & 5: Undercover, Cro-Mag Rally, Centipede, Hunter's Trophy 2: America & Australia, SEGA Rally Online Arcade, Toy Soldiers: Boot Camp and Victorious: Time to Shine.
VonThronstahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
kookyscientist

Yeah - shame over me. If I CAN use it I probably will use it.

The 600k-guy btw must have also gotten about 10 special boni since in normal mode he can only boost about 100k at the helicopter...

Last edited by kookyscientist; 06-11-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:21 AM   #15
RPG Joe

RPG Joe's Gamercard
MMM... Well I guess I am one of those "+600k guys" (I was the only one just this morning ).
Let me tell you guys that I donīt use too many tricks, like the one you mention with the helicopter. I guess you mean the one in mission 2-1 where the soldiers spawn ever second. (But now that you mention it, Iīll try to rack as many points there as I can and see if I get a better score that way).
The basic tips to get a +600k score are:

1.-NEVER EVER use shurikens. Melee all enemies to get the 20k bonus at the end of each stage and do it so in every single mission.
2.-Be quick! You get 30 points for every second remain at the end of each stage, but if you can kill more enemies thatīs better. If you can kill one enemy every 3 seconds you get at leas 10 points more than you get for those 3 seconds at the end. Thatīs because you get 100 points for every enemy in the game but the guardians of the hostages (the guys with the flying scimitars) which gives you 500 points.
3.-In some stages if you backtrack at the begining of the mission more enemies re-spawn and get more points. In some stages though you wonīt get too much enemies to make it worth.
4.-The hostages gives you different scores depending on something (I canīt figure out what it is) but definetly itīs a big difference to get 1000 points than to get 200 only.
5.-You are a Ninja! A sissy one but a Ninja after all, so NEVER use magic, you get 5k extras for not using it.
6.-Make "perfect" in all the bonus stage, just the 4th one is a little hard but anyway, you get 100 points for every enemy there and an extra life.
7.-And finally, I discovered that if you kill the last enemy (Masked Demon) when he is at the very top of his jump you get a few extra points. How can you hit him if he jumps the double height as you can? I used magic of course. Yeah, the very same one that I asked you not to use.

Itīs just that I donīt know for sure if you get the 5k bonus at the end or not. And besides Iīm not sure how to get more points in the last battle, because if you look carefully at the score when you hit Masked Demon for the last time your score gets a lot of points gradually as he is falling, so the highest he falls the more points you get. Not sure about the remaining time and any extra bonus but at the end my first score was 633,740. That one was with the regular killing (while he was attacking me on the ground) and then I try to kill him in the air and I got a whopping score of 649,340, thatīs 15,600 points more.
Good luck guys, with this tips I hope to see you in the top ten!

PS.-Can any of you guys boost me in Joust or Robotron to get the 5th rank achievement? Send me a msg to RPG Joe in this regard. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:37 AM   #16
WhiskeyWarriors

WhiskeyWarriors's Gamercard
its probably just me but incase anybody else is having trouble with this helicoper points glitch dont forget to blow the choppers guns off, just hit the y button under it and they will dissapear, made it so much easier.
WhiskeyWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #17
kookyscientist

Hey RPG you crazy melee-guy. You will probably end up with around 750 k using the helicopter thing. For sure I can say that the boni for not using magic (which not always appears) does not depend on time - I checked this out yesterday - also I did not manage to get the special boni in level 5. I think it has to do with later levels - maybe it's just not possible there. You can also not use continue in the last level(s) - that was a (not so) great thing back in the days: just when you thought you are near to the ending continue wasn't possible.

I was curious and looked up the official world record for Shinobi at Twin Galaxies. There is no arcade record but here you can see the mame record:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.as...=5910&vi=20930

Since the perfect score is 767k (without using continue and instant save of course - must be a beast of a player) you could end up with 880k or something in xbla. Good luck captain.

Last edited by kookyscientist; 06-12-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #18
Hashmap

Hashmap's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyWarriors View Post
its probably just me but incase anybody else is having trouble with this helicoper points glitch dont forget to blow the choppers guns off, just hit the y button under it and they will dissapear, made it so much easier.
That's what I meant by "inching" your way over, throwing shurikens until they start killing ninjas. The helicopter won't be on your screen, and you can just spam shurikens and not have to worry about the helipcopter or the ninja that is prone.

Also, I made a mistake in my original post. 5 continues = 30 lives, so it should be more than enough.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
RPG Joe

RPG Joe's Gamercard
Ooohhh great! I check the website you post here kookyscientist and I canīt believe what I see... 767,170 pts!!! WOOOOW! And itīs without continues and savestates! There is a playback of the game but I canīt play it. First I D/L the MAME, then I was looking for the rom, but the romset was incomplet, I look for another one and another and so on... I finally got it, play the playback and then itīs in an "older or unsoported format". I really want to watch that game!
Can somebody be able to watch that record? what MAME version did you use? I have the right ROM and the .inp file but not the right versions of MAME.

767,170 pts??? Where did this guy get all those points??? No continues? no savestates or any kind of help??? Is he satan?
Old 06-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #20
kookyscientist

Don't know how to watch the movie. Those Billy Mitchell-guys spend years and years with practising on a few games - they simply play in a different league.

However, I would try another run for the top but the boni-thing (can you get it everytime) bothers me, also the hostages-dilemma (points). I now also got the bonus for killing the boss in the air btw (killing him at the highest point did not get a bonus - I had to kill him a short moment after he reached his peak and I did it with one shuriken) - so I'm at least No. 8 again. Probably there are more of those tricks (the video could be the clue). And another thing I would really like to clarify: can I get the special bonus (in those levels where it is possible) the following way?: play the level kill all swordsmen and get all hostages, than kill until time runs out and THEN in the next run it is easier to get the special bonus because the swordsmen (and hostages) are missing. This is what I tried in level 5.1. (I had no earlier save state) and I surely did not fire a single shuriken - I got nothing - could be due to the rerun (or dying) could also be the later-level thing. If it works only in the earlier levels it could nevertheless be a smart solution for some levels where it is really hard to get the special bonus. Of course that would be some points missing in the helicopter-thing (about 6k per life). I will check out the "smart"-solution tommorrow in level 1 and keep You updated. If it works I want the method named after me - yeah.

Last edited by kookyscientist; 06-12-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #21
kookyscientist

Congrats RPG for a great score and being Nr. 1 again. You seemingly played a pretty much perfect game.

Concerning my technique - lets call it rerun technique: it works - you can even use magic in the first run to speed things up and you will get the special boni very fast without the swordsmen - that will leave you with only 3k less compared to the helicopter boosting per life.

Other stuff I found out: You can not get the special bonus in 1.3. I killed the boss with melee only and only got the 5000 for not using magic (melee tip: if you see sparks and hear a metal sound but you see NO shuriken it's NOT melee). Somehow you loose continues. As I mentioned before there is no continue possible in Level 5. Unfortunately I did a terrible mistake in my last run (580k or so - 4th in ranking) - I wanted to save a few lifes because I wanted to look for other spawning/scoring places or use it for the rerun technique etc. but when I wanted to use my last continue (the 3rd) in level 3 it wasn't there anymore. You only have 2 in L3, probably 1 in L4 and 0 in L5. This way I lost 40k so I did not play further for the perfect run...In level 5 there are no boni at all to get (not quite sure).

I'm always refering to normal settings.

I'm pretty sure with all those tips in this threat it should be a piece of cake for anyone to get 300k.

EDIT: Now I know better: you can get the special bonus in every level and with the first boss (the other bosses won't work). There is no not-using-magic bonus in stage 5. So use it.

Last edited by kookyscientist; 06-14-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #22
Questionmark

MONOW's Gamercard
Hay RPG Joe, you can check out the world record run on youtube.

The link ishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-fZOD3Oxlc
Questionmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:17 AM   #23
RPG Joe

RPG Joe's Gamercard
First of all: Oh my God! HE IS SATAN! His performance is just perfect, thank you Questionmark! You made my dream true!
After watching the video I discovered a few things, but before a few others I realize myself in my last run:

1.-The first boss, Ken Oh gives you the bonus for not using shurikens. (kookyscientist, check the video carefully to see that).
2.-In all the mission 5 you donīt get the bonus for not using magic, so save some troubles to yourself and use it anywhere you feel like. (Too bad I realize this AFTER all this time)
3.-Iīm not 100% sure but I know more or less how the points from the hostages works. If the digit of thousands in your score is 0 or 1, then you get the 1000. If itīs 2 or 3, then you get the 200. And the rest you get the 500. In other words, if you want to get only 1000īs, recue them when you have 1000 or 1100 in your score. (The rest of the digits arenīt important) MISTERY SOLVED! YAHOO!
4.-The best place to rack points itīs in mission 2-1 in the helicopter.

Things I realized AFTER watching the video:

1.-The way you can earn a 1-UP from a hostage itīs when your score itīs **0,000 (In the video the score is 240,000) however I havenīt prove this. But Iīm sure the first two digits has something to do too.
2.-The guardians grants you 500 points and sometimes they re-spawn and sometimes they donīt, why? Simple: If you rescue the hostage and kill the guardian it wonīt reappear. But if you kill him and do not rescue the hostage and you die then the guardian reapper. It can work to get a few extra points as you can see in the video. (if you are planning on dying)

And talking about something else, kookyscientist, try to get the movie "King of Kong: For a fistful of quarters" there you can see how arrogant that Billy Mitchell can be. I admire him too (for a time) but after that movie I just donīt think he is any good.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #24
Asturgis
Gundam Meister

Asturgis's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Platinum   Donator - Level 5   1,000 Posts   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I may be the unluckiest guy on the planet. Not a single one of you guys has been talking about the 20000 bonus not unlocking. I have been playing with melee only each and every stage, and I'm level 2.3 with the scubadivers. Never did the chopper trick and I'm only at 130000 points.

The 20000 bonus NEVER unlocked. I have never seen it. Is it because I play on easy ?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #25
kookyscientist

This is a cool discussion and analysis here...

@ infinity master: I just tried it and you will get the bonus on easy. Just be sure as I posted yesterday NOT to hear a metal sound or see sparks because then it may look like mellee but it IS NOT.

I have seen The King of Kong the week it came out. As interviews and special features reveal some things are staged in this movie and the script needs a bad guy (thats what it makes so good and its OK for an entertaining content - unfortunately you can't believe most of the documantaries also the serious ones - I'm a little filmmaker myself and I stage and cheat like there is no tomorrow ;-)) However BM probably is not THAT bad as it seems in real life but he may be not that nice anyway. And who said that satan is nice? As you may know BM ist No. 1 again in Donkey Kong.

Nice vid - why didn't I search on youtube like ALWAYS?

As the champ writes in the description of the vids "points from hostages depend on third digit at the end of the score when you get hostages (must be "0", "1" or "2" for 1000 pts). Some hostages (here second hostage in stage 2-2) give 1up once in a game under special conditions : 3 identical digits at the end of the score when you get the hostage (here 240,000)."

Cool also with the let the hostage live-technique. 900k may be possible this way. We'll see soon.

Concerning meleing the first boss: It works and you don't have to do it in a row. Was my fault - sparks seemingly flew ;-)

You definitely have only 2 continues - at least in stage 2. Has to be confirmed that you may have 3 in stage 1.

He plays a slightly differnt version - the spiderman-guy has another colour (blue) and some pattern seem to be different too...at least on the firs sight.

Last edited by kookyscientist; 06-14-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #26
RPG Joe

RPG Joe's Gamercard
GREAT! You have seen that movie! I just forgot where I was, most of the time I find myself talking with casual gamers or not gamers at all, but you all guys are from the same team, GOOD!

Infinity Master, I donīt think the difficulty level has something to do with getting the bonus or not. After all itīs an arcade game and the settings were up to the arcade owner. Thatīs why you donīt get any penalties in the game. Or do you?

Yeah, about BM he is the bad guy in the movie, but what you canīt act are the interviews. He is competitive, but there is a mob there among all this guys from the arcade. BM made several dirty moves, thatīs undeniable.

Anyway, what amazes me the most itīs that this game, Shinobi, was one of the few games I used to play when it first came out and was so easy for me to beat (among some other such as Double dragon, Robocop, Bad dudes) with only one coin. And now, after all this time I am rediscovering its secrets and reveling some others... nostalgia and internet are so powerful!

And finally, yes, the game has a few changes, two of the most evident are: the color of the crawling guys in level 1-2 that with the red and blue color they look like spiderman. And in the very first screen in that same level you see only a brick wall but in the arcade there were Marilyn Monroe posters.

Old good times!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #27
kookyscientist

OK buddy - you cost me a lot of pain today but if you take a peek at the leaderbord you will find yourself 2nd best - whoooooop. Was a close one...800k done!!!

I NEED confirmation of the continues. Is it right that you only have 2 in normal settings? I had only 2 but the settings say 3. Do they count the first run as a continue or what.

I don't like BM either and it's a mob - right. The only good person was Doris Self (the old lady playing Q-Bert)...

Those old arcade games are simply great - they work on so many levels if you are up for the score...

Cheers - I can't see no screens anymore right now.

Last edited by kookyscientist; 06-15-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #28
RPG Joe

RPG Joe's Gamercard
Jejeje, second place again? Well, I guess I will have to do another run to keep things interesting. After all, with the new tips, the score can be improved.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #29
kookyscientist

845k is what I guess is possible. We'll see soon.

I also have only 2 continues in stage 1 or even in level 1. So it's 2 continues until you reach Stage 5 where is no continue possible anymore. Just for the record.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:35 AM   #30
RPG Joe

RPG Joe's Gamercard
Yeah, I never check that continue thing, but I was sure that you have 3 continues but the first game counts as the first one. In other words, you have 3 credits, the start and 2 continues.