PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org

Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Batman: Arkham Asylum
Subscribe    Donate
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Quick links
Latest news
May 06, 2016 Batman: Return to Arkham HD Collection Crops Up Again
Apr 18, 2016 Batman Arkham HD Collection Leak Points to June Release on Xbox One and PS4 - Report
May 27, 2015 Let's Play Live - Batman: Arkham Asylum Part III: The Poison Ivy Showdown
May 12, 2015 Let's Play Live - Batman: Arkham Asylum Part II: Descent into Madness!
May 06, 2015 Let's Play Live - Batman: Arkham Asylum

Old 10-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
Ackis

Send a message via ICQ to Ackis Send a message via AIM to Ackis Send a message via Yahoo to Ackis

Gamertag: CanadaAckis

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
GFWL Patched out of the Steam version

GFWL support was removed from the PC version of the GOTY edition. No more getting those achievements AFAIK.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/35140/discussions/0/
Ackis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
PrismSub7

Gamertag: PrismSub7
Ugh, I have disabled automatic updates. Hope it'll still work.

PrismSub7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Ackis

Send a message via ICQ to Ackis Send a message via AIM to Ackis Send a message via Yahoo to Ackis

Gamertag: CanadaAckis

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Let us know if it still works for you please.
Ackis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Jeerrraayyyyyyy

Gamertag: Jeerrraayyyyyyy
I was about 50% done with the story and boom update. Now all my progress is gone and I have 300/1000 eyesore of a gamerscore for that game. FUCK
Jeerrraayyyyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
PrismSub7

Gamertag: PrismSub7
I forgot I bought this game on GFWL, not steam.

PrismSub7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
skatermike21988

Gamertag: R2K SpitFire
Damn! Mine already updated so it looks like I'm SOL on the rest of my achievements.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
bosInFusioN

Gamertag: bosInFusioN
This sucks for people who wanted the complete 1000, but it is great for PC gamers. GFWL was a god damned nightmare.

This should come as a warning to anyone else, GFWL is shutting down and all games will get this treatment eventually. Prioritize those games for achievements now if you want to ever get them.
bosInFusioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
StarsRPD

Gamertag: Eskobar M92

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Nooooo! my progress.. damn damn damn.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
ronnie42

Gamertag: ronnie42
Got pissed about this too since was looking forward to getting some gs from this, pretty annoyed at Steam for pulling this stupid stunt, at no point did I ask them to change to stupid steamworks! In short yes I have just noticed, just complained about it since pretty avoided.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
THe NoMaD

Gamertag: the nomad
So is it just the steam version. If we buy it on disc will we still be able to get them? I am confused as you can tell.

THe NoMaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
Mapmakermaster

Gamertag: Mapmakermaster
Is there a way to continue getting achievements on the PC version of Asylum?
Mapmakermaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
Seiryu

Gamertag: Seiryu Chi

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Well that's frustrating... As with everyone else, I just checked my Steam to find that Arkham Asylum had been updated to remove GFWL. Not only that, but it also wiped out all save files so that I have to start the game over from the beginning if I want to play it. This is really annoying since I hadn't played very far and only had 105/1000 achievements.

Does anyone know a way to fix this? Is it possible to roll back the update somehow to get the GFWL back or is it permanent?

Assuming that GFWL is gone for good from the Steam version, how about other versions? I've read that if you have an independent install outside of Steam from a retail copy or some other download service then the GFWL will still work, can anyone confirm this? Also, does anyone know where I can get a GFWL version of the GotY?

I looked on Amazon and found 6 different product listings for the game:
1 shows the US box for the standard version.
1 shows the UK box for the standard version.
1 is digtal download, shows the US standard box but says it's GotY, but it also says DRM: Steam, so I am guessing it is just a Steam activation code and not a GFWL install.
And lastly there are 3 different ones that show a UK GotY box.

I assume this means no retail version of the GotY was ever released in the US, right? Does anyone know how it would work if I bought one of the UK copies?

Basically here's my questions:

1. If I buy a PC game with a UK ratings logo on the box, will I be able to install it and play normally on my PC in the US? I'm fairly certain the answer to this is yes, as PC games have no kind of region coding to my knowledge, but I've never imported a PC game before so I just want to be sure?
2. If I buy the retail GotY UK copy and install it will it have GFWL features and will I be able to log in with my US Live account with no problem? Again, pretty sure the region on the game and account shouldn't matter, but want to be sure.
3. And lastly, kind of the same as part of #2, can anyone confirm that the retail copy is an independent install that has nothing to do with Steam, and that it will still have GFWL?

Also on an unrelated side note... I have the Steam version of Arkham City as well, got both in a bundle on a sale a while back. Seeing as I had not finished AA yet I had not even attempted to start AC yet. Around the same time as the updates that removed GFWL, I also had Arkham City GotY show up along side the original version in my library. Now, while checking which games still have GFWL I tried to play the original, and it does make mention of GFWL still, but it asked my for a serial number before I could launch it and under the CD Keys on Steam all I have are the 3 DLC packs, I can't find any activation code for the game itself. Anyone have a clue what I am supposed to do to get that working, or is the original version just unplayable to me now and forcing me to use the GotY version?

EDIT: Seeing as this forum isn't very active I figure that it's unlikely that I'll get a response to this any time soon, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the retail version. Decided I could risk the $11.75 that Amazon was asking for it in the hopes that it will work out like I think it will. Once I receive it and get it installed I'll report back with my findings in case any one else comes across this thread and is wondering the same thing I am.

EDIT2: Received the physical copy today, and here's the results: IT WORKED! kinda.

When I first put in the disc the auto run detected the Steam version, and therefore would not let me install it from the disk. The "Install Game" option was grayed out and if I tried to click "Play Game" it gave me an error saying I had to sign in to Steam first. I went into Steam and deleted all local files for the game from there, but that didn't fix it. It seems that something saved somewhere telling the auto launcher the game was already installed and it absolutely would not allow me to install it. bummer. I suppose what this means is that if you buy the retail copy you need to delete the local files from Steam first before you put in the disk for the first time, which may or may not work. Moving on...

After poking around the disk a little bit I found the English setup.exe file in the folder named "INT", which I assume means international since all the other folders were abbreviations for different languages. I ran the setup.exe file from there, not using the auto launcher, and that worked to install it. Hurray.

I loaded up the game and found that it had worked! I was greeted by the GFWL log in prompt. Not only that, but it seems that the previous activation key is still valid on my account, because once I logged in it worked without asking for the new code from the retail version. I'm still not entirely sure if the code from the retail version would even work, since it's a UK code and I have a US account, but it doesn't matter since I didn't need to use it.

Now I have a working copy with GFWL again, so yay, but that's not all. As I mentioned previously, and you probably already know, when the Steam version updated it seemingly erased all previous save files, right? Well, apparently not, because my old save file showed up when I logged in to the new installation. Only thing I can guess is that the save file is tied to your Live account, so since you are no longer logging in on the Steam version it doesn't recognize that you are you and it doesn't give you the previous saves on that new version.

Long story short: It was a bit of a hassle to get it working, but in the end buying a retail copy DOES indeed restore GFWL and the ability to get achievements if you previously had the Steam version and downloaded the update. I got my copy from Amazon,
THIS VERSION THIS VERSION
, since they have 3 different GotYs listed. presumably any of them would work, that one is just the cheapest, currently being sold by a marketplace seller for $11.75 with fulfillment by Amazon for shipping.

Last edited by Seiryu; 12-13-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Seiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
THe NoMaD

Gamertag: the nomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryu View Post
Thanks for checking this out. I had planned to go through all versions of this so glad to know it still works on PC. Gonna get to this, Gears Of War PC and the Resident Evil games early next year before GFWL is shut down for good whenever that may be.

THe NoMaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #14
J Lo

Gamertag: VictimOfDesire

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Just wanted to provide an update for people who may have bought this, but don't want to start it due to the whole Steam conversion:

I bought the GOTY edition of this game on Steam last year and never started it. When I found out that this and Bioshock 2 had the GFWL ability stripped from it, I put my Steam in offline mode and turned off auto updates. Upon launching the games, it asks you for the license key for the game. When you go to view the game in your library, though, the option to view your CD key is gone. I put in support tickets on Steam asking for my CD keys and after a couple of days, they emailed me my codes. After entering my code, I launched the game to see if it would work and it logged me into my gamertag. Upon starting the game, I was able to unlock achievements and successfully play this game via GFWL.

TO SUM IT UP: If you have yet to start this game and are looking to get the achievements in it, turn Steam into OFFLINE MODE and SHUT AUTOMATIC UPDATES OFF before trying to launch the game. Then, acquire your CD key from Steam, launch the game, input the CD key (all while in offline mode still) and you'll be able to play!

I'm glad my money wasn't wasted in purchasing this game.
J Lo is offline   Reply With Quote