PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > General Entertainment
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
I IVIuTanT I
 
I IVIuTanT I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 226
Send a message via MSN to I IVIuTanT I

Play a Record's Gamercard
Thrash reccomendation thread

I don't know if there's any Thrash Metal fans here but i'm a huge one and I thought i'd reccomend some great bands. Click images for myspace links.


Municipal Waste- One of the best Crossover Thrash bands of recent years. Listen!


Evile-Great new thrash band. Their album 'Enter the Grave' is a thrash masterpiece.


Toxic Holocaust- Another newish band, Their mix of Black metal and Thrash 'Black Thrash' is a win in my book.


Gama Bomb- New school Thrash from Ireland. Great band great guys


D.R.I.- Absolute classic band, the originators of crossover thrash.


Now i can't be bothered to do any more So have a listen to these.
__________________

I IVIuTanT I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
b1indedbyfear
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 147
All great bands. Seeing Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocaust open for At The Gates in NY next week. I dont think Evile has been to the US before, atleast not that I knew about.

Seen Municipal Waste a bunch since they are from where I live. Saw Ryan Waste at the Summer Slaughter show Sunday.

Also probably the best modern thrash band. Merciless Death.

Warbringer, Skeletonwitch, and Fueled By Fire are great too though.
b1indedbyfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
I IVIuTanT I
 
I IVIuTanT I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 226
Send a message via MSN to I IVIuTanT I

Play a Record's Gamercard
Merciless Death are a great band. I saw the Waste with Toxic Holcaust and Mutant, what a gig! Saw Evile as well awesome gig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1indedbyfear View Post
All great bands. Seeing Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocaust open for At The Gates in NY next week. I dont think Evile has been to the US before, atleast not that I knew about.

Seen Municipal Waste a bunch since they are from where I live. Saw Ryan Waste at the Summer Slaughter show Sunday.

Also probably the best modern thrash band. Merciless Death.

Warbringer, Skeletonwitch, and Fueled By Fire are great too though.
__________________

I IVIuTanT I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Yann
 
Yann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,161

Yannak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Hmm the only real 'thrash' I listend to was the early Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer stuff. I'll check out your reccomendations though.
__________________
Who Watches the Watchmen?



If you're going to add me over XBL, send me a message saying you're from here please, or I wont accept!
Yann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Tussell
 
Tussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lombard, Illinois
Posts: 11,813
Send a message via AIM to Tussell Send a message via MSN to Tussell

tussell's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   10,000 posts   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tournament - Winner   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
I recommend listening to different music.

lulz. jk.

Municipal Waste is fucking amazing.
__________________
Tussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
dm master
 
dm master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Swindon - England
Posts: 2,001

DM Master's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
try testament
dm master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
b1indedbyfear
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 147
I thought this was just about modern bands.

slayer, testament, megadeth death angel, exodus, destruction, kreator, sodom, anthrax, overkill are all good old thrash bands

but yea slayer and testament are the best
b1indedbyfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
Tussell
 
Tussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lombard, Illinois
Posts: 11,813
Send a message via AIM to Tussell Send a message via MSN to Tussell

tussell's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   10,000 posts   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tournament - Winner   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Exodus is great. I saw them open with Napalm Death for The Black Dahlia Murder.

It was really sweet seeing Exodus, Napalm, and TBDM all on the same stage.
__________________
Tussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
I IVIuTanT I
 
I IVIuTanT I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 226
Send a message via MSN to I IVIuTanT I

Play a Record's Gamercard
I love all these bands. Don't forget Tankard, Acid Reign and Sepultura
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1indedbyfear View Post
I thought this was just about modern bands.

slayer, testament, megadeth death angel, exodus, destruction, kreator, sodom, anthrax, overkill are all good old thrash bands

but yea slayer and testament are the best
__________________

I IVIuTanT I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
b1indedbyfear
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 147
I feel ashamed for leaving Sepultura out. Coroner is also good.

I saw that Exodus tour too, good show but they got hosed on set time.

Hatebreed was headlining that tour so I got to leave early after BDM. Saw Black Dahlia Murder for the 9th time this past Sunday.

Last edited by b1indedbyfear; 07-03-2008 at 12:05 PM.
b1indedbyfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #11
Zorlak
 
Zorlak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 21

XxZORLAKxX's Gamercard
Municipal Waste is gonna fuck you up!
Zorlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
b1indedbyfear
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 147
destruction has a new song up on their myspace page
b1indedbyfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #13
Tussell
 
Tussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lombard, Illinois
Posts: 11,813
Send a message via AIM to Tussell Send a message via MSN to Tussell

tussell's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   10,000 posts   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tournament - Winner   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1indedbyfear View Post
... testament are the best
That band is friggin' horrible.
__________________
Tussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #14
b1indedbyfear
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 147
i dont think i am really going to care what you say about music seeing how you have misfits stuff all over your sig
b1indedbyfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #15
Tussell
 
Tussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lombard, Illinois
Posts: 11,813
Send a message via AIM to Tussell Send a message via MSN to Tussell

tussell's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   10,000 posts   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tournament - Winner   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1indedbyfear View Post
i dont think i am really going to care what you say about music seeing how you have misfits stuff all over your sig
I'm sorry, Testament sounds like every other band there is.

Their older music was good, but they have turned into shit.
__________________
Tussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #16
b1indedbyfear
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 147
Older stuff is by far better, but I dont mind the newer. But that is most bands story. I like old Misfits but cant tell you anything theyve done without Danzig.
b1indedbyfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #17
dm master
 
dm master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Swindon - England
Posts: 2,001

DM Master's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
ive not really herd much testement but what ive herd i loved

not sure if its thrash but try children of bodom there gr8
dm master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #18
I IVIuTanT I
 
I IVIuTanT I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 226
Send a message via MSN to I IVIuTanT I

Play a Record's Gamercard
Bringing it back for the thrashers
__________________

I IVIuTanT I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #19
Who are the Patriots?
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11
Alright, gotta get this band out of the way first: Demolition Hammer. Most underrated thrash evar; absolutely incredible deathrash. Every self proclaimed thrasher NEEDS to hear their first two albums, Tortured Existence and Epidemic of Violence. Tortured is my personal favorite out of the two, just an absolute riff-fest - it NEVER relents. Riff after amazing riff. It's insane. EoV is still pretty damn amazing, it has fewer riffs, a bit more focus, and it's a lot more on the brutal side, but it's excellent. Their third album, Time Bomb, isn't worth checking out at all; boring groove. However, all three albums were packed into a recent two disc anthology compilation. It's an absolute steal, two of the best thrash records ever and... Time Bomb. (maybe you'll find something to enjoy though....) I just can't recommend this band enough!

Speaking of cult deathrash albums, Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death is a gem. Possibly the most brutal thrash album ever recorded, vocals are insane. Rare as hell, but damn worth it if you can find it.

Next up, a classic band: Dark Angel. Why hasn't anyone mentioned them yet? Darkness Descends is just relentlessly awesome thrash! Never a dull moment; it's just a fast as hell, in your face, bangover causing agent. There's also their Time Does Not Heal, infamously advertising "9 songs, 67 minutes, 246 riffs!". Pretty good stuff, although I think it's a bit boring and the vocals are TERRIBLE, even for thrash standards. Definitely nowhere near as good as DD but worth listening to at least once, just to say you have.

Now for some great freebies: Protected Illusion is a great thrash band and their entire discography, including their demos, is 100% free and absolutely legal. It's offered off their official site here. Fun band with some crazy vocals. Absolutely worth checking out... I mean, it's free.

Possessed, the band often (MISTAKENLY ) credited for inventing death metal. Primus guitarist Larry LaLonde's first band, and he really peaked (in my opinion) early. Seven Churches is a masterpiece, track it down ASAP.

More free thrash: Heathen! Legendary technical/progressive thrash. First two albums are legally available off their website, and how can you beat free? Check it here.

Some modern thrash: The Crown. Pretty good melodic death/thrash metal. Their album Deathexplosion is just plain fun. The rest of their stuff is definitely more Gothenburg with some light flavor, but Deathexplosion is a full on thrasher.

Vio-lence is a classic bay area thrash band. It's also known as Robbbbbb Flynnnnnn of Machine Head fame's first band. All their material is pretty good, especially Eternal Nightmare.

Now not entirely thrash, Immortal's At the Heart of Winter is a great thrashened black metal album. If you haven't heard it before OP, check it out! Epic songs with some of the best riffage I've ever heard.


Alright, I'm wiped. Sorry for the wall of text, but I hope I helped spread the word for some great bands. Enjoy the freebies, and try not to 'wreck your neck'. I probably forgot some good stuff, but I'm tired as hell and this took forever to write, so forgive me.
Who are the Patriots? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #20
Suuskipje
 
Suuskipje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands
Posts: 15

<iframe src="http://gamercard.'s Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I'm not really a huge thrash fan, but I can appreciate it
I wnet to the concert of Forbidden in July here in Holland, it was awesome.
__________________



Teehee, new gamerprofile ^^
Suuskipje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #21
Ephajim
 
Ephajim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 87

Ephajim's Gamercard
Municipal Waste ftw!
Don't forget Sodom, Overkill and Tankard
__________________
Currently working on:




Completed game(s):
15/10/2008 Assassin's Creed
10/06/2009 Viking: Battle For Asgard
11/06/2009 The Last Remnant (finally )

Do Want:
RDR
Ephajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:11 AM   #22
ApochWeiss
 
ApochWeiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 4,378
Send a message via AIM to ApochWeiss

Apoch x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Silver   x360a Representer   2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Annihilator is one of my favorite thrash bands. They change practically every album. "Criteria For A Black Widow" literally saved my life haha. Ignore their recent album "Metal" though, it's horrid. "Alice In Hell" and "Never Neverland" are classics.

Lyzanxia is one hell of a thrash band, very modern by today's standards. "Mindcrimes" is the one I checked out and got hooked on.

Not sure if I missed this one in this list, but if I did, shame shame. Kreator are one of the greatest thrash acts to ever walk the face of the earth. I'm in the process of obtaining all their full length albums. Only have a few. Too many bands, too little funds.

Destruction is another one that a lot of people do not know are back together haha. Check 'em out, they're pretty good too.

Faith or Fear was an amazing band. They only put out on album, "Punishment Area", but it's well worth a listen if you can find it. They recently reformed too.

One band that people might not consider thrash is Mnemic. Many call them mallcore, but some consider them modern day thrash. They're worth a listen.

Exodus (again, mentioned earlier?) is another great thrash band that's seen a few changes over the years. Their new album is just as good as "Bonded In Blood".

Exciter is one of those bands that gets majorly overlooked. Recently the picked up a new vocalist and released a new album ("Thrash Speed Burn") which is alright, but definitely not anything special. Their first few albums though are great old school thrash releases.

Deceased started off as death metal but turned out more thrash in the later years. I'd recommend checking them out, they're something a bit different from the typical thrash style.

Older Hatesphere (i.e. "Ballet Of The Brute" era) was pretty exciting. However the band has become a stereotypical melodic death act and are pretty bland now. Very talented guys though.

Impious is a great band, the Swedish one. I only heard the last two albums but they were great. "Holy Murder Masquerade" is a conceptual album, and some of the songs on it are catchy as hell. This band's a blend of death, melodic death and thrash.

Definitely check out Occult, who recently changed their name to Legion Of The Damned. Blistering thrash metal (at least the more recent stuff) and also has a bit of a black metal feel to it.

Old school Sepultura had a bit of a death metal and thrash metal feel. I'll never forget the first time I heard Necromancer. Holy hell...Their newer stuff is good but not all that impressive to me. The first couple albums though are amazing.

Terror 2000 just released a new one. I use to be a DJ for WSFX and many of my label contacts were talking about it. That alone should be enough to check it out, but if not, they also blend in melodic death metal, and the vocalist is the frontman for Soilwork. Definitely worth a look. Donkey Kong Song (I believe that's the name of it) is just great, as well as Satan's Barbecue.

Meshuggah has some thrash roots, but is mostly driven by groove. I'd HIGHLY recommend this band, but don't worry about the first release, it's seriously not all that good. Same with "Catch Thirty-Three", it's not as great as it was hyped up to be.

Vampire Mooose's first album was just insane. Another thrash root band with groove riffs. The best part about it is the first song on their debut is Spider-Man Vs. Venom, and they even get Bruce Campbell to do a small intro to the track Colonize as his character Ashley (Ash) from the Evil Dead series.

Speaking of Evil Dead, that's also a thrash band. Check them out too, pretty good stuff there.

Warbringer is a very old school thrash band. You may need some time to get use to the vocals, but it's still pretty good.

Well, that's my list of suggestions that I have in my collection that weren't mentioned on here. Slayer, Testament, the whole lot are good, these are just some that people may overlook that REALLY deserve your time.

One CD that I would recommend that isn't thrash is the band Godiva. Their debut album is amazing and had such a powerhouse thrash feel to it that I was hooked. Plus the singer was the kind of vocalist you rarely ever heard and brought a fresh sound to the music. However, he left and was replaced for the second CD, which sounded too stereotypical ("Call Me Under 666"). I heard their latest though, and it's not as powerful as the first, but it still had me head banging.
__________________

Now with film and game reviews (just for fun)!

ApochWeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #23
I IVIuTanT I
 
I IVIuTanT I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 226
Send a message via MSN to I IVIuTanT I

Play a Record's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who are the Patriots? View Post
Alright, gotta get this band out of the way first: Demolition Hammer. Most underrated thrash evar; absolutely incredible deathrash. Every self proclaimed thrasher NEEDS to hear their first two albums, Tortured Existence and Epidemic of Violence. Tortured is my personal favorite out of the two, just an absolute riff-fest - it NEVER relents. Riff after amazing riff. It's insane. EoV is still pretty damn amazing, it has fewer riffs, a bit more focus, and it's a lot more on the brutal side, but it's excellent. Their third album, Time Bomb, isn't worth checking out at all; boring groove. However, all three albums were packed into a recent two disc anthology compilation. It's an absolute steal, two of the best thrash records ever and... Time Bomb. (maybe you'll find something to enjoy though....) I just can't recommend this band enough!

Speaking of cult deathrash albums, Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death is a gem. Possibly the most brutal thrash album ever recorded, vocals are insane. Rare as hell, but damn worth it if you can find it.

Next up, a classic band: Dark Angel. Why hasn't anyone mentioned them yet? Darkness Descends is just relentlessly awesome thrash! Never a dull moment; it's just a fast as hell, in your face, bangover causing agent. There's also their Time Does Not Heal, infamously advertising "9 songs, 67 minutes, 246 riffs!". Pretty good stuff, although I think it's a bit boring and the vocals are TERRIBLE, even for thrash standards. Definitely nowhere near as good as DD but worth listening to at least once, just to say you have.

Now for some great freebies: Protected Illusion is a great thrash band and their entire discography, including their demos, is 100% free and absolutely legal. It's offered off their official site here. Fun band with some crazy vocals. Absolutely worth checking out... I mean, it's free.

Possessed, the band often (MISTAKENLY ) credited for inventing death metal. Primus guitarist Larry LaLonde's first band, and he really peaked (in my opinion) early. Seven Churches is a masterpiece, track it down ASAP.

More free thrash: Heathen! Legendary technical/progressive thrash. First two albums are legally available off their website, and how can you beat free? Check it here.

Some modern thrash: The Crown. Pretty good melodic death/thrash metal. Their album Deathexplosion is just plain fun. The rest of their stuff is definitely more Gothenburg with some light flavor, but Deathexplosion is a full on thrasher.

Vio-lence is a classic bay area thrash band. It's also known as Robbbbbb Flynnnnnn of Machine Head fame's first band. All their material is pretty good, especially Eternal Nightmare.

Now not entirely thrash, Immortal's At the Heart of Winter is a great thrashened black metal album. If you haven't heard it before OP, check it out! Epic songs with some of the best riffage I've ever heard.


Alright, I'm wiped. Sorry for the wall of text, but I hope I helped spread the word for some great bands. Enjoy the freebies, and try not to 'wreck your neck'. I probably forgot some good stuff, but I'm tired as hell and this took forever to write, so forgive me.
Tortured existance is one of my favourite thrash albums ever, along with darkness descends and eternal nightmare. I downloaded heathens first 2 albums off there site a while ago, they're good but not my fave band.
__________________

I IVIuTanT I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #24
I IVIuTanT I
 
I IVIuTanT I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 226
Send a message via MSN to I IVIuTanT I

Play a Record's Gamercard
Evildead- annihilation of civilization has been getting alot of spins lately, realyl great band. Also eternal devastation by Destruction. I'm going to see Gama Bomb and Bonded by Blood on friday and scorpions on sunday, yay!
__________________

I IVIuTanT I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #25
ZOMBIEsqurrel
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3

Back iin Nam's Gamercard
Best thread ever

This thread is amazing everything I have seen seems to be shit I listen to all the time. If anyone wants to add me to talk about music on xbox, go right ahead. If I had to pick my top five thrash bands id say

-Overkill
-Testament
-Sodom
-Municipal Waste
-Toxic Holocaust

not in any kind of order, just my top 5. yes I love all the others and if anyone wants or can find them on YouTube, Gladius is an amazing band from where I live, I've seen them a few times and they always bring the horns \m/ And before I forget. Skelator is one to look into aswell
ZOMBIEsqurrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:48 AM   #26
RyanDeicide
 
RyanDeicide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 51

RyanDeicide's Gamercard
Yeeah

For those who don't know muuch about thrash, I suggest two of the best fuckin thrashers ever, Sodom and Razor.

Btw if you don't like them i don't consider you a metal fan. at all.
RyanDeicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:29 PM.