PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Floydian x Slip

Floydian x Slip's Gamercard
Revisiting Oblivion. Advice?

So, I 100% achieved Skyrim last year, but never got around to ever completing Oblivion on Xbox. I beat the game on PC, but only ever completed the Fighter's Guild on Xbox, and was wondering if you guys had any advice on what to do first for the easiest and most sensible progression. I bought the GOTY edition, so I do have Shivering Isles now (never played the expansion before).

I will not be doing the Fighter's Guild since I have already gotten the achievements, but will be making a Khajiit and focusing on a Light Armor / Daggers build, maybe with some Archery.

Does it make most sense to first do Thieves' Guild, then Brotherhood, then Mage's Guild, and finally ending with Arena? I do love the TES games, but I want to be efficient and get it done before the Xbox One launches, as I will undoubtedly be drawn away from this game by the next gen launch.

Thanks guys! Any and all input appreciated.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
exit9500
Duck Face Freedom Warrior

exit9500's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   VGO Silver Medal   Staff - Community and Events Team   Community Gaming - Gold   Road Map - Bronze   Submit - Silver   Donator - Level 2   Micro Guide - Silver   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
Doesn't really matter what order you do them as you really don't gain any major benefits from any of them.

Arena is the easiest followed by Dark Brotherhood. The Thieves Guild is generally considered the hardest, but I found it extremely fun. Shivering Isles and Mage Guild (has the most useful benefit in my opinion) I found to be long and tedious but not very difficult. The main quest is similar the the Shivering Isles and Mage Guild in difficulty, but shorter.

Just make sure that you save at the right point so you can get both Duke Mania and Duke Dementia. It can also be helpful to only do one guild at a time because you might upset a different guild while working for another. Not necessary, but the one time I had to reinstate myself to a guild was because of one of the others guilds missions.
Join the War Efforts Against the Enemy of Us ALL
exit9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Floydian x Slip

Thank you for the advice.

I only really ever do one guild at a time, like you said, because then you don't end up doing anything bad while you belong to the others. I find that in the TES games, it's much better to focus than spread out haha.

Also, I did read about the Duke achievements. Once you save, how long does it take to get one of the achievements? And, also, is there a difference between them, or is that spoilerish? I'm just wondering which one I should do for my real save and which one I should do first and abandon.

Sidenote: Will Arena be easy as a Light Armor + Daggers build? Not exactly the most combat friendly build! Haha.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
exit9500
Duck Face Freedom Warrior

exit9500's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   VGO Silver Medal   Staff - Community and Events Team   Community Gaming - Gold   Road Map - Bronze   Submit - Silver   Donator - Level 2   Micro Guide - Silver   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
I don't remember how long the Duke missions took. I feel like it was between 1-2 hours but that is very definitely a guess from a fuzzy memory. The only real differences are the items you get and a couple of abilities. I went with Mania for my main playthrough because I liked the Dark Seducers more.

I wouldn't think you would have any problem with that build, though you might want to find a long sword and shield (build I used as well as light armor). The arena is really the only place that I truly used the shield.

Here are some links from the wiki that go over the two missions that make you the Duke of Dementia/Mania. You can see the rewards on the page. If you want to understand my Dark Seducers comment look up The Helpless Army as well.

Duke of Dementia
Duke of Mania
Join the War Efforts Against the Enemy of Us ALL
exit9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
Floydian x Slip

The only reason I initially thought I was going to do Daggers is because I forgot you cannot dual wield in Oblivion; d'oh! I ended up going Longsword + Shield as well, after confusingly trying to put on two melee weapons in the beginning, haha. Ended up googling why it wasn't working and ending with a /facepalm.

Anyway, powered through Arena super easily, starting at level 1 (it was literally the first thing I did this playthrough) and had the entire questline done in under a couple hours. What an amazing way to start a playthrough. From that questline alone, I've had more than enough money to support myself without looting anything other than high-ticket items.

As for Mania vs. Dementia, I ended up choosing Dementia because the ring gives Endurance and Chameleon as opposed to Personality and Shield. I prefer the first. They took me about 40mins each to do, but I did nothing else and just focused on burning through it to get back to what I wanted to do

Thanks again for all the tips! This weekend I did all of Arena, Dark Brotherhood, and Shivering Isles. Time to see if I can get Thieves' Guild done this week before next gen launch!