PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Batman: Arkham Asylum
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #31
asdf123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePumpkinKing View Post
Earning the medals in combat challenges takes skill. Skill takes practice and patience.

Fact.
And luck
asdf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #32
bbk70

bbk70's Gamercard
I can't do the combat challenges, I have two medals, and the whole concept of them totally bored me. If I wanted to do combo fighting I'd play Streetfighter, but I don't, because I already know I'm crap at them, I think I'm just too old! However, this really shouldn't distract from the game, which really is excellent. People who give this a miss just because of the challenge sections are shooting themselves in the foot IMO, its a minor part of the game.
bbk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #33
XBLsFinest

XBLsFinest's Gamercard
I must admit the challenges are quite hard, I done all the predator ones and have given up and I am now starting on Hard. The challenges are so tedious, you know for the Variation nobus does all the vairations have to be in one combo?

15,000 reached 12/05/2009 - The Nutcracker(Fable 2)
20,000 reached 22/11/2009 - The Conspirators(Assassins Creed 2)
100%- 10 Games
XBLsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #34
ThePumpkinKing

The Winter King's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   x360a Book Club
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Phil View Post
If I spent 10 hours doing the same thing over and over, I would get it done eventually.
No, you really wouldn't. You could sit there and mash buttons over and over again for 10 hours. But unless you get a feel for the timing and complexity of the combat system, you won't get anywhere. That's the whole "skill" thing I was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiK View Post
it's really interesting how much more fun the combat is once you figure out the timing and rhythm. it's weird that the Story mode doesn't really teach you much about it. i didn't really figure it out until after i beat the game and began playing around with the Challenges. i think a lot of guys who simply mashed their way through the Story won't perfect Freeflow to get Gold.

personally, i'm loving it even though it's tough. but isn't that what a challenge is supposed to be? getting Gold is supposed to be hard.
And that's the thing. Story mode doesn't teach you shit about the combat in the game. It just tells you which buttons do what. And I think that's what's pissing off all of these gamers. They beat the story, and go into the challenges thinking they're ready for anything. Realizing only after they've been promptly owned that they didn't have a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBLsFinest View Post
you know for the Variation bonus does all the vairations have to be in one combo?
Yes. Doing all 9 moves nets you the freeflow perfection achievement, in addition to earning you 5,000 points per each round that you manage to string them all together in one combo.
Resident Evil 5
ThePumpkinKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #35
Vile Denial

Vile Denial's Gamercard
Variation bonus is definitely the key to beating all the challenges. I've got 3 medals in each challenge except Rumble in the Jungle (extreme) and Shock & Awe (extreme).

I can get to the 4th round of shock and awe with near 30,000 points, but just need to get a bit faster with the automatic takedowns.

Rumble in the Jungle isn't too hard, The key is getting a good variation bonus, and a couple of high combo ground takedowns in the first and third rounds (when there's no titans). In the titan rounds, I try get my combo up after stunning the titan, then keep the combo going by knocking him to one knee. Once you mount him, you combo doesn't drop, and you get a combo X 25 for each henchmen hit. If you have a 20+ combo, you'll get a ton of points.

I also restart the challenge if I don't get a 9x variation bonus in the first round. It helps a ton, and only takes 2 minutes. After that, it's just practice, practice, practice.
Vile Denial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #36
Devil Sora

Send a message via AIM to Devil Sora Send a message via MSN to Devil Sora

Devil Sora's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason86586 View Post
its not possible. some sort of hack. i know people did the same thing with gears 2 where they were able to get level 100 on day one
someone made a thread about it lol
Geth do not intentionally infiltrate.
------------------------------------------------
Devil Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #37
Boba Phil

Boba Phil's Gamercard
Quote:
No, you really wouldn't. You could sit there and mash buttons over and over again for 10 hours. But unless you get a feel for the timing and complexity of the combat system, you won't get anywhere. That's the whole "skill" thing I was talking about.
I haven't been button mashing...I did to start with, on the story mode, but I have sat down on the challenges and tried to get this 'feel' for things. Tried to get the rhythm. But I just can't get it.

Maybe if I did sit down for 10 hours I might crack it. I am a 'if I can't get it in the first 20 mins, I'll not get it ever', some things are worth sticking at, but from what I've seen of Batman, the game itself is awesome and I've loved playing it, but I don't want too, or have the time too, sit down and learn it in that much detail.

It's good what Eidos have created, a great game, with a great story, graphics etc. You can just pick it up and play it, but then, they have lost half their audience by making the combat too complex, and as you said, not explaining it well enough.

Half the 'pro' gamers love it, half the 'casual' gamers hate it!

Boba Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #38
Devil Sora

Devil Sora's Gamercard
Its just a matter of rinse and repeating. . . . but also getting your hands dirty by trying new things. Me for one I really haven't focused on "Ok instant take down instant take down instant take down" its just a matter of adjusting it and really digging in.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #39
AOSKINS

Master AO's Gamercard
I completely agree with the TC, pretty flukey. I can't win some challenges, but on one I'm in the top 200 on the leader boards. Some skill, but too glitchy for me, no 100% for me

"Worse than some, better than most."

XBL GT = Master AO
AOSKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #40
Boba Phil

Boba Phil's Gamercard
Quote:
Skill takes practice and patience.

Fact.
Sorry, just reading back over the thread, I have to say, this is not true. Other wise the world would be full of world class soccer players, and golfers, and tennis champions.

But there's only a few in each field that are 'world class', coz Tiger Woods has the correct aptitude for golf...no matter how much practice and patience I could put into playing golf, I would never beat him.

(And I mean on a real golf course, not Tiger Woods '09)

As I have said, some people have 'got' the combat and are good at it, some haven't.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #41
the_b1ues

Radiantmist's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Yeh there driving me mad as well, ive asked for tips but i just dont see how people can get like 70k over what is needed.

the_b1ues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #42
KNIGHTOFSERA

hyrulesknight's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I doubt that the biggest factor in the combat system is luck....when I started I could only get 1k on the first combat challenge...but I eventually got better....cause I kept at it

Quote:

Maybe if I did sit down for 10 hours I might crack it. I am a 'if I can't get it in the first 20 mins, I'll not get it ever', some things are worth sticking at, but from what I've seen of Batman, the game itself is awesome and I've loved playing it, but I don't want too, or have the time too, sit down and learn it in that much detail.
Im sorry but that is just pathetic......"If I cant get it in 20 min, ill never get it"....If everybody were like you the world would cease to exist...nobody said to sit 10 hours straight, when I said 10 hours I meant total
Quote:
Sorry, just reading back over the thread, I have to say, this is not true. Other wise the world would be full of world class soccer players, and golfers, and tennis champions.
One one hand I agree with you..there are only a small group of greats....but you do not need to be great to beat these.......In this case the greats would be the people at the top of the leaderboards where most will be way below in the minor minor leagues

Last edited by KNIGHTOFSERA; 09-07-2009 at 08:23 PM.
KNIGHTOFSERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #43
the_b1ues

Radiantmist's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIGHTOFSERA View Post
I doubt that the biggest factor in the combat system is luck....when I started I could only get 1k on the first combat challenge...but I eventually got better....
There must me a nack to it. I cant understand how people are getting like 50k more than they need there must be some kind of easy way to get points. The first shock and Awe you need 30k the guy on the top of the leaderboard has like 80k if i remember how on earth can you get that much.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #44
KNIGHTOFSERA

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_b1ues View Post
There must me a nack to it. I cant understand how people are getting like 50k more than they need there must be some kind of easy way to get points. The first shock and Awe you need 30k the guy on the top of the leaderboard has like 80k if i remember how on earth can you get that much.
They keep their combo up, diversify and probably get the perfect knight and perfect combo bonuses at the end

cause using all moves in the combo is 5k a round, then 1k each round for flawless freelow, 500 for not getting hit

at the end they probably get the overall bonuses

Old 09-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #45
the_b1ues

Radiantmist's Gamercard

What are the variation bonus the highest ive got is like x5 and im sure i only got like 500 points for that.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #46
KNIGHTOFSERA

Quote:
What are the variation bonus the highest ive got is like x5 and im sure i only got like 500 points for that.
well if you use all the moves its worth 5k...so basically you have to redo the freelow perfection achievement to get this high of a variation

so yeah if they do that every round thats 20k right there

Old 09-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #47
the_b1ues

Radiantmist's Gamercard

Quote:
well if you use all the moves its worth 5k...so basically you have to redo the freelow perfection achievement to get this high of a variation

so yeah if they do that every round thats 20k right there
I struggle to get that atall so if i can perfect this it should help a great deal. My problem is getting the points and can go on an finish the challenges i dont die i just dont seem to get enough points. Im currently going through them trying to complete each one as i go im up to Shock and Awe the the first one and the highest ive got is only 25k

Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #48
KNIGHTOFSERA

Quote:
I struggle to get that atall so if i can perfect this it should help a great deal. My problem is getting the points and can go on an finish the challenges i dont die i just dont seem to get enough points. Im currently going through them trying to complete each one as i go im up to Shock and Awe the the first one and the highest ive got is only 25k
Try to jump around over everybody to keep up the combo, and when you have your special use the instant takedown, when you have 3 ppl left use your batclaw, jump over them while they are stumbling, and ground takedown 2 of them, then batclaw the third one and ground takedown him

ground takedowns are worth 100 times your combo...so big points there

Old 09-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #49
Devil Sora

Devil Sora's Gamercard
Mmmm Idk with the fact that some people "have it" and others just simply "dont" Tiger Woods for example had his father breathing down his neck saying "BOY YOU BETTER NOT MESS THIS UP!!!" same with Micheal Jackson ect. if you do put in the effort. . . . and I mean back breaking effort. . . .you'll get it down pack tight. its common knowledge
Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #50
KNIGHTOFSERA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Sora View Post
Mmmm Idk with the fact that some people "have it" and others just simply "dont" Tiger Woods for example had his father breathing down his neck saying "BOY YOU BETTER NOT MESS THIS UP!!!" same with Micheal Jackson ect. if you do put in the effort. . . . and I mean back breaking effort. . . .you'll get it down pack tight. its common knowledge
yes some people are definitely more skilled and require less training, but anyone could get better at anything...it would just take more time

Just like I could practice guitar hero/rock band and actually be able to do expert....but I really dont care

Old 09-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #51
the_b1ues

Radiantmist's Gamercard

What the quick button for batclaw?? Are the instant takedown the same as the ground takedowns.

Last edited by the_b1ues; 09-07-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #52
KNIGHTOFSERA

Quote:
What the quick button for batclaw??
double tap RT

Old 09-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #53
Devil Sora

Devil Sora's Gamercard
exactlly, so theres no sense in saying; "I cant do these chalenges" its just a matter of you going back to them and dusting off your feet taking a deep breath and doing what needs to be done. If you want my own personal experience with these chalenges I find it I play my eyes out. . . . get frustrated. . . . and then quit. Come back 5 hours later and guess what? I seem better. . . .the thug's movments seem slower I can anticipate their attacks better. Dont think about the chalenge as a whole think about; "This is what I need to do first work on my striking. . . . " then move onto the next thing. . . its just a matter of perserverance, and Batman is a fine example of it (the game not the character)
Old 09-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #54
the_b1ues

Radiantmist's Gamercard

i think i just need to crack the x9 variation bonus

Old 09-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #55
Boba Phil

Boba Phil's Gamercard
Quote:
Im sorry but that is just pathetic......"If I cant get it in 20 min, ill never get it"....If everybody were like you the world would cease to exist...nobody said to sit 10 hours straight, when I said 10 hours I meant total
I know you didn't mean 'straight', I would have seriously doubted anyone sanity if they sat for 10 hours straight to get one cheeve! :P

I can usually pick up a feel for a game in the first 20 minutes, in fact, with any sport as well. Some I 'get' straight away, some I just don't. I have put a good couple of hours into the combat, I just don't get it. And that's all the techniques I've read about on here.

Quote:
One one hand I agree with you..there are only a small group of greats....but you do not need to be great to beat these.
I agree. You don't need to be 'great', you just need to 'get it'. And, to sound like a broken record, some people get it, some aren't.

It's a weird 'design' by Eidos. The majority of games, most people can pick up and play, but with Bats, it just odd that some do, some don't.

Again, as was said by someone else, if the story mode had 'explained' the combat, it might have made a difference. Chances are, if you came round my house and showed me, that might work too. :P

Old 09-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #56
SleepingDemon

SleepingDemon1's Gamercard
You don't really have to be great to get these challenges, if you want to be high up on the leaderboard, then that's one thing. But on most of these challenges I barely got over the minimum points, and that was achievement enough for me. I'm telling you guys, if I can get it, anyone can get it eventually. I am in no way a pro gamer, but I told myself I wasn't going to quit until I got my 1 K out of this game. It took some time, but eventually I was able to pull it off. Just take the maps one at a time, hell, I only survived all 4 rounds on Shock and Awe like 4 times, and only once with over 30 K. It isn't impossible.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #57
Hoffer

Hoffer's Gamercard
I don't have the skill and/or patience for the combat challenges. I realized this long ago. I just beat the game on hard. I'm going to go after the predator challenges and then I'll probably be done with the game.
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #58
Bobo

l3obo's Gamercard
anyone who's played Guitar Hero remembers the first time they bumped the difficulty up to expert and was like, "Fuck that!!! I'm never gonna be that good!!!" very very few people would be able to just start on that difficulty from the get-go, but if u play through on medium until youve got it, and then progress up to hard, etc. you slowly accumulate the skill necessary to eventually play on expert...

batman combat is like that... playing through the story is like playing on easy with no chance of failing... so noone is even aware of all the shit they can actually pull off in combat... but if u stick to it, (practice getting all 9 moves worked into your combo... that helped me understand the timing of everything) you will get better... even if you don't notice it day to day you will notice at the end of a week how much better you've got

but, like Guitar Hero, it does take a lot of time and regular practice to even stay good enough at

"Ok brain...I don't like you and you don't like me... but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer." - Homer S.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #59
Maximus 1482

Maximus 1482's Gamercard
my brother and I teamed up on his xbox to get the combat challenges finished. we played for at least ten hours over two days and unlocked PErfect Knight. When it came to teaming up on my xbox to complete the combat challenges we breezed through due to all the practice. Now I enjoy kicking the sh*t out of the henchman with my skills!

there is truth to the saying "practice makes perfect".

I agree this game is too cool to finish with 875gp.
Maximus 1482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #60
My Gamertag is Papa Skull
Banned User

Papa Skull's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
You're way overreacting. The combat challenges are a challenge. They called it a challenge for a reason. They're not that hard at all, you just need to keep your combo up at all times and if you get hit it's still okay. Do Ground Takedowns as much as possible and get the 5000 variation bonus as much as you can. It's pie to me.
My Gamertag is Papa Skull is offline   Reply With Quote