PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Batman: Arkham Asylum
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #61
FalseHope4829

Send a message via AIM to FalseHope4829

Truth x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   Submit - Bronze   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Phil View Post
I haven't been button mashing...I did to start with, on the story mode, but I have sat down on the challenges and tried to get this 'feel' for things. Tried to get the rhythm. But I just can't get it.

Maybe if I did sit down for 10 hours I might crack it. I am a 'if I can't get it in the first 20 mins, I'll not get it ever', some things are worth sticking at, but from what I've seen of Batman, the game itself is awesome and I've loved playing it, but I don't want too, or have the time too, sit down and learn it in that much detail.

It's good what Eidos have created, a great game, with a great story, graphics etc. You can just pick it up and play it, but then, they have lost half their audience by making the combat too complex, and as you said, not explaining it well enough.

Half the 'pro' gamers love it, half the 'casual' gamers hate it!
Lol coming from the person who 1000'nd Oblivion and Fallout. AS if that doesn't take a tremendous amount of time. Combat really isn't that hard, just keep your combo up and don't get hit, finish with a ground takedown and you will get it.

Games Completed

RETAIL:
Avatar: TLA: TBE, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Borderlands (1750), Borderlands 2, CSI: Hard Evidence, Fable II (1350), Fable III, Fallout 3 (1550), Fallout New Vegas (1655), Fight Night Round 3, Gun, Halo 3 (1750), Oblivion (1250), Resident Evil 5 (orig 1000), Shadowrun, Skyrim (1300), Terminator: Salvation, TMNT, The Darkness

Arcade: 3D Ultra Minigolf, Dash of Destruction, The Maw (250)

FalseHope4829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:14 AM   #62
Quagmire3540

Quagmire3540's Gamercard
The perfection variation bonus helps but is not worth it, trying to get that everytime will get you frustrated and not a whole lot of points. More times than none you will kill all the enemies before getting that 5000 point bonus so just worry about keeping enemies at a distance,combo up, and ground pound. You get way more points that way.....the most variation bonus i had after i had already gotten the perfection achievement crap was 500 point bonus variationi thats it..
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #63
My Gamertag is Papa Skull
Banned User

Papa Skull's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf123 View Post
And luck

In my opinion, it takes no luck at all.
My Gamertag is Papa Skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:21 AM   #64
bloodswan

bloodswan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I just started the challenges and it is quite daunting. I am not that good at stringing combos together though I managed 35 once. I just always seem to lose my combo counter. I thought this would be an easy 1000 but now if I get 1000 I'll know it will be a job well done
bloodswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:27 AM   #65
xHardIIExplainx

VLibertineJediV's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
Fair enough to anybody who can sit there and have the patience to deal with them, but I have had enough.

I have completed the game, got all the riddles, done all the predator challenges and I am left with the combat ones, what a joke they are. Before you claim I am unskilled or lack the patience, I have tried for hours to complete them and the same bs happens.

An enemy will come out of nowhere, the counter will fail and he ruins a combo, I will press the attack button and the game wont recognise it thus ending my combo, it just really isnt worth the hassle.

I will rest with completing the game fully without the combat challenge achievements. Lets be real, the combat in this game is definetly the weakest element so relying on chance to fluke your way though a combat challenge cos the combat gameplay wasnt created to properly react to your movements isnt my idea of fun.

Peace!
That's pretty surprising. I've found them to be all awesome-ly entertaining and quite simple. After i got those riddler trophies, i jumped right in. Took me about a good hour and a half to finish em' the ones i didn't play earlier and i 3 stared em all as well.

My point being, how could you not enjoy them?

Completed (100%) Retail
Grand Theft Auto 4,Call of Duty 4,Fallout 3,Batman:Arkham Asylum,Mortal Kombat Vs. Dc Universe,Star Wars: The Force Unleashed,Left 4 Dead,Resident Evil 5,Hitman:Blood Money,Bioshock,Dead Space,Kane And Lynch Dead Men,Condemned 2:Bloodshot,Soul Caliber 4,Devil May Cry 4,Lost Planet, Watchmen

Working On
Halo 3(1575/1750),Gears of War 2 (1350/1750),Dead Rising(960/1000),Watchmen Part 2(145/200)
xHardIIExplainx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:54 AM   #66
Banned User

Papa Skull's Gamercard

I agree. The combat challenges were so fun and challenging. I even go for leaderboard ranks now.

<3 Batman
Old 09-08-2009, 06:21 AM   #67
Exodist

Exodist's Gamercard
I'm not very good at it, but I only played for an hour or two and that greatly helped, so I'm pretty determined to do this. The only thing I find annoying is not seeing the red guys properly, and the fact ground takedowns are extremely difficult since some guy just comes up to you and hits you most of the time.

Yagsimot!
Exodist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #68
Boba Phil

Boba Phil's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseHope4829 View Post
Lol coming from the person who 1000'nd Oblivion and Fallout. AS if that doesn't take a tremendous amount of time.
I like 'moneys worth' out of a game, Oblivion was about 60 hours play (and I still play it on and off) and Fallout 3 was about 20 hours odd. But that was over a few months.

For me, gaming is about having fun, chilling out and enjoying it, like watching a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseHope4829 View Post
Combat really isn't that hard, just keep your combo up and don't get hit, finish with a ground takedown and you will get it.
Yeah, saying that is so easy. I have spent time trying to 'get it' but I can't seem too.

AGAIN, some people get it, some don't! It's getting patronising that those who do get it are mocking those who don't. Fair enough, those who don't get it, should stop moaning, but then, those who do, could cut them a little slack.

Just like people like different types of games, different styles. The down side of this game is that the overall game is amazing, and I loved playing the story and I was hoping for a 1k game, but I'm not getting the combat. Just like if I played a 'footy' game, I wouldn't get it, coz I don't like footy games. It's a pity Eidos didn't explain the combat better, coz then more people wouldn't be moaning.

Boba Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #69
BillyKlyde

BillyKlyde's Gamercard
Saying that the combat is broken is an absurd claim. This game probably has the best fighting system of any super hero game out there. Yes the challenges are frustrating but you only have yourself to blame, not the game.
BillyKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #70
Vile Denial

Vile Denial's Gamercard
Just finished my last 2 combat challenges and got 100%. Shock and Awe was surprisingly easy. First round I got a decent variation bonus, and then every round after that I just used instant takedowns. Finished every round with 10+ seconds left.

Rumble in the Jungle took me a few more tries, but each time I just replayed the first round. Finally got a great first round (perfect variation bonus, and 3 ground takedowns at a 30+ combo), and went into the second round with over 27,000. Wasn't even a challenge to get the rest.
Vile Denial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #71
Joe Tobacco

Joe Tobacco's Gamercard
i have not read the whole forum and dont know if this would help but! it doesnt matter if you get and your combo goes down to zero, my method was to get a high combo lets say 15? and start ground take down everybody, u will see your score going up like crazy! in the beginning i used to restart when i get hit and it was frustrating, but ground take downs are like 100 x whatever multiplayer you have, highest points if i remember correctly. goodluck!

Joe Tobacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #72
El Poocho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile Denial View Post
Just finished my last 2 combat challenges and got 100%. Shock and Awe was surprisingly easy. First round I got a decent variation bonus, and then every round after that I just used instant takedowns. Finished every round with 10+ seconds left.

Rumble in the Jungle took me a few more tries, but each time I just replayed the first round. Finally got a great first round (perfect variation bonus, and 3 ground takedowns at a 30+ combo), and went into the second round with over 27,000. Wasn't even a challenge to get the rest.
Well said, that is exactly the key to the extreme challenges! Play the first round and make sure you get a really good score, if you don't, restart! Pointless going through the four rounds if your first sucked. Not to say that you wont make the points up in other rounds, but i prefered to restart on the first than the last!

Quick hint, start the round with the batclaw, then A+A, then B and then go into your combo, before you have really started you will have a variation bonus of 4 or 5! Add 2 different takedowns and you are looking at a couple of thousand points for no work at all! At the end, as so many people have pointed out, use the ground pound (RT+Y), this adds an incredible amount of points to your score if your on a good combo! I finished Shock and Awe (extreme) with three bats before the third round ended, and i am shite at these kind of games!

One of the more satisfying games i have 1000g's in and i am sure when you finally do crack them, you will agree that its an all round awesome game! Good luck!
El Poocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #73
ponypo2001

ponypo2001's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Road Map - Bronze
Poocho and Tobacco,I really think what you guys just posted is going to help a lot and that is exactly what the thread needed.When I retry these,I'll give those a whirl.Thanks for that.

ponypo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #74
mrmonkeykrap

mrmonkykrap's Gamercard
i've noticed that im piecing combos together more easily than I once was. practice and determination will help you here. im pulling over 40 combos with ease now. its not as hard as i once found it. the predator maps are easy enough. dont worry about times. im hoping to complete this game.
mrmonkeykrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #75
the_b1ues

Radiantmist's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Im getting better ive got like 21k-25k the last 4 times in Shock and Awe the first one but i just cant seem to get that last 10k.

the_b1ues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #76
KNIGHTOFSERA

hyrulesknight's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
I'm not very good at it, but I only played for an hour or two and that greatly helped, so I'm pretty determined to do this. The only thing I find annoying is not seeing the red guys properly, and the fact ground takedowns are extremely difficult since some guy just comes up to you and hits you most of the time.
Thats the problem I had, but only on the shock and awes....sometimes I couldnt tell the knife guys from the other guys.....so yeah thats one thing I would change, make knife wielder appear orange in detective mode...

and I still dont get why some people are still saying they should have explained the fighting system better...seemed straight forward to me... and the achievements for fleeflow perfection and 40x combo should help you get better as you are trying to go for those....and if you have any more doubts there are always the forums....You just have to put in some time to get it right....if youre not willing to do that its nobodys fault but your own

KNIGHTOFSERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #77
Banned User

Papa Skull's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmonkeykrap View Post
i've noticed that im piecing combos together more easily than I once was. practice and determination will help you here. im pulling over 40 combos with ease now. its not as hard as i once found it. the predator maps are easy enough. dont worry about times. im hoping to complete this game.
You stole my avatar!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #78
Darunia

creamium85's Gamercard
most of the combat challenges aren't too hard once you figure out some ways to seriously bump your score. Once I found out that a ground pound is 'combo x 100' per guy, it really sped up the process of getting the required points.

Shock and Awe extreme will forever be a bitch though, I'm glad I'll never have to play through that again
Old 09-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #79
Half Baked Tiny

Send a message via AIM to Half Baked Tiny Send a message via MSN to Half Baked Tiny

Half Baked Tiny's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePumpkinKing View Post
The combat system isn't broken. If it were, no one could beat the challenges.

And now I'll beat a dead horse:

Earning the medals in combat challenges takes skill. Skill takes practice and patience.

Fact.
agreed. op maybe your not all that used to stringing combos together eh?

Arcade 100% : Uno, Gauntlet, Dash of Destruction
Half Baked Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #80
Banned User

Papa Skull's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darunia View Post
most of the combat challenges aren't too hard once you figure out some ways to seriously bump your score. Once I found out that a ground pound is 'combo x 100' per guy, it really sped up the process of getting the required points.

Shock and Awe extreme will forever be a bitch though, I'm glad I'll never have to play through that again
Shock and Awe EXTREME is my favorite one!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:01 AM   #81
skiscaraudio

BADGUYSKI's Gamercard
anybody hear of the zone

thats the way you feel when you get lotsa combos,
when i got the 20 combo i was just x'n in the direction of different opponents. it felt good
this game is intense...... genius
skiscaraudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #82
Hobbz

Hobbzinio's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Sora View Post
Mmmm Idk with the fact that some people "have it" and others just simply "dont" Tiger Woods for example had his father breathing down his neck saying "BOY YOU BETTER NOT MESS THIS UP!!!" same with Micheal Jackson ect. if you do put in the effort. . . . and I mean back breaking effort. . . .you'll get it down pack tight. its common knowledge
hahahahaha I cannot believe you are comparing the combat challenges on a Batman video game to mastering your craft in music or golf, thats pretty damn dillusional man.

Meh, the combat challenges are mostly about luck guys come on now. I accept you need a bit of skill to get high combos, but most of the time the game decides when to mess up and break up a combo making it all about fluking your way through. You could have the perfect timing in the world and the game will suddenly not recognise what you have just pressed and at X30 it ends....

If you sit there ten hours straight, im sure you will fluke your way through eventually and I am not prepared to do that in the hope I get some luck.

I think Eidos set out with the intention of making these combat challenges have lots of replay value but what they created was something glitchy and mostly dependent on luck....
Hobbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:53 AM   #83
Bobo

l3obo's Gamercard
the timing of the batarang seemed iffy to me for a while until i realized how to use it properly... basically i don't think any of it's luck... since i've figured out exactly how to best use each different attack i haven't ever just "randomly" lost my combo... yes there's a very small window for hitting your buttons sometimes depending on what your last attack was, but being difficult does not equal "broken"... this is one of the most flawless combat systems i've ever played

Batman's combat and Trials HD are 2 of the best examples i've ever seen of "easy to learn, difficult to master" mechanics at play

"Ok brain...I don't like you and you don't like me... but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer." - Homer S.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:15 AM   #84
KNIGHTOFSERA

hyrulesknight's Gamercard

Quote:

I think Eidos set out with the intention of making these combat challenges have lots of replay value but what they created was something glitchy and mostly dependent on luck....

^ thats is what unskilled impatient people think....I know cause I thought that too, I was saying to myself "WTF!!!!!! whered my COMBO GOOO!!!".....and Id hit my couch, but after you spend some time you realize its not luck..........seriously the only people who think the combat system is bad are people who like to spend two minutes to get to know something and not take some time.......If you want something easy go play your copy of Avatar

KNIGHTOFSERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 AM   #85
Neo

Neorafter's Gamercard
In my opinion the fighting system of this game is awesome. I've never had so much fun fighting generic enemies. The combat challenges look like they can get really hard but I'm going to try and get through them. No pain no gain right? This isn't one of those noob-easy games like Avatar or King Kong.

Last edited by Neo; 09-09-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:37 AM   #86
FalseHope4829

Send a message via AIM to FalseHope4829

Truth x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   Submit - Bronze   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Meh, the combat challenges are mostly about luck guys come on now. I accept you need a bit of skill to get high combos, but most of the time the game decides when to mess up and break up a combo making it all about fluking your way through. You could have the perfect timing in the world and the game will suddenly not recognise what you have just pressed and at X30 it ends....

If you sit there ten hours straight, im sure you will fluke your way through eventually and I am not prepared to do that in the hope I get some luck.

Yea and somehow people are able to luck their way to 3 bats every single time now, me being one of them. Smashing buttons just won't do it. You need to think about what guy you are gonna hit next, kinda like a game of chess. Prioritize certain enemies (knife dudes, taser dudes, First and foremost anybody going or using a gun, and guys throwing shit), don't get surrounded, if you do just jump over them and you'll keep your combo. understand that hitting a guy behind you takes longer than just hitting people in front of you (keep that in mind for countering), if someone is running full speed at you as opposed to just standing around looking/waiting then he is gonna be the one to attack you next. Guys with poles or bats have a much further reach so take them out.

***On the last 3 or 4 guys, batclaw them, then hop OVER one of them to keep your combo. They will fall to the ground and take out 2 with a ground takedown (Batman will home in on them). Jump over the 3rd or 4th guy because by now the other ones will have gotten up. Batclaw again, hop OVER one again. Ground takedown the last 1 or 2. Keep in mind that you can only counter during a ground takedown AFTER you punch the dude on the floor, not before so time accordingly. So lets do some math. You should be at around a 20 hit combo by the time you do this (ish). 1st takedown equals 2,000+ pts, 2nd 2100+ pts, 3rd 2200+ pts, 4th 2300+pts. And those are per enemy. So that's 8600 pts alone, not to mention a decent variation bonus a 6 variation bonus which is extremely easy to pull off is an extra 1000 pts (or 2000 i can't remember), don't get hit is 500 pts (dark knight bonus), and keeping a combo the entire time which is easy now that you know that jumping over guys adds to your variation and doesn't cancel your combo (and you can jump over the venom guys), gets you another 1000. So for all that alone you get 11,100 points at a minimum per round. That doesn't include regular points. Keep in mind that this is just an estimate. But just smashing guys in the head with no regard for technique will fetch you 500 points total instead. Use those tactics and just keep at it.

Now obviously that sounds easy. Well that's because it is, just build up your skills by getting good at Sewer Bat, the 2nd combat challenge. Once you are good there then move up. And like someone said before, get an awesome 1st round score to set yourself up for success.

Games Completed

RETAIL:
Avatar: TLA: TBE, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Borderlands (1750), Borderlands 2, CSI: Hard Evidence, Fable II (1350), Fable III, Fallout 3 (1550), Fallout New Vegas (1655), Fight Night Round 3, Gun, Halo 3 (1750), Oblivion (1250), Resident Evil 5 (orig 1000), Shadowrun, Skyrim (1300), Terminator: Salvation, TMNT, The Darkness

Arcade: 3D Ultra Minigolf, Dash of Destruction, The Maw (250)

Last edited by FalseHope4829; 09-09-2009 at 04:39 AM.
FalseHope4829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #87
Trdis Trvler

Trdis Trvler's Gamercard
Quick hint, start the round with the batclaw, then A+A, then B and then go into your combo, before you have really started you will have a variation bonus of 4 or 5! Add 2 different takedowns and you are looking at a couple of thousand points for no work at all! At the end, as so many people have pointed out, use the ground pound (RT+Y), this adds an incredible amount of points to your score if your on a good combo! I finished Shock and Awe (extreme) with three bats before the third round ended, and i am shite at these kind of games!

Thanks for this tip on starting a combo.
Trdis Trvler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #88
Hobbz

Hobbzinio's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIGHTOFSERA View Post
If you want something easy go play your copy of Avatar
Real constructive man, somebody caught feelings?

And thanks for the advice FalseHope, I might try to master it but even if I did my opinion would remain the same, there is significant element of luck in getting high scores on these combat challenges.
Hobbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #89
Wrinklefighter

Grreen lantern's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePumpkinKing View Post
The combat system isn't broken. If it were, no one could beat the challenges.

And now I'll beat a dead horse:

Earning the medals in combat challenges takes skill. Skill takes practice and patience.

Fact.
You'll get no better response than this. They were hard I'll give you that, but the combat system is nowhere near broken.
Wrinklefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #90
Boiled Frogs

BoiIed Frogs's Gamercard

there's only 2 things i find annoying;

1. the camera angle
2. double crouching instead of grappling

Boiled Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote