Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox 360
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-23-2009, 04:11 AM   #1
when_vegans_attack

III GOBLIN III's Gamercard
Xbox keeps freezing - help?!

I got Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 today and for some reason it freezes 99% of the time during loading screens. This normally wouldn't be such a big deal (I'd return it) - but my arcade games are now freezing (sometimes they don't get to the loading screen, it just stays black) along with my recently purchased Guitar Hero 5 (which also freezes on the opening screen.) I noticed some random freezing a few days ago while playing Guitar Hero 5 - I quit playing (I was worried about it overheating after playing it all night.) But now it freezes every single time I try and play a game.

I have had the red lights one time before.
When my 360 freezes now I get no lights, no error message, and nothing happens when I press the guide button. I have tried playing games with and without my Hard Drive in and it occurs either way. Installing games to my Hard Drive actually seems to make the problem worse (games won't even load the starting screen, etc. - one time it even said "disk is unreadable" to the game I had purchased mere hours beforehand and that worked perfectly normal on my friend's xbox.)

All of this is eerily similar to what happened when I had the red lights the first time.

However - I have no lights.
Microsoft only extends my warranty (which ran out in 2008) if I actually have the lights. So,
Do I pay them $99 to fix it?
Do I send it in for free and just say that it has the red lights when it really doesn't?
Should I wait and see if the lights appear?
Does anyone have any tricks they think might fix this problem?

I'd be grateful for any responses/help.

100% Retail:
Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Resident Evil 5, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Darksiders, Guitar Hero 5, Silent Hill: Homecoming, Dante's Inferno

100% Arcade:
Magic: The Gathering, Fable II Pub Games, Zombie Apocalypse, Dash of Destruction
when_vegans_attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
v_thorne

Verkolac Thorne's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Word of Mouth   A+ Thread Award   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
This is what happened to me the other 2 times I had the RRoD.

You will eventually get the lights. I say wait for it. It shouldn't be much longer now...

Don't pay the $99 to fix it. Wait and they'll do it for free.

On the alternative side, you could say you have the RRoD and they'll fix it for you. They don't really check in my experience. But I say wait. Keep fiddling with your xbox. It will eventually go into the RRoD.
v_thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
VladimirK

VladimirK's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
[QUOTE=when_vegans_attack;2373229
Do I send it in for free and just say that it has the red lights when it really doesn't?
[QUOTE]

You'll probably get RRoD soon or E74 and then it'll be fixed/replaced for free.

But the bit in the quote.
That's fraud btw and mods usually lock threads for that.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
when_vegans_attack

III GOBLIN III's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladimirK View Post
But the bit in the quote.
That's fraud btw and mods usually lock threads for that.
Well, I've had RROD before - and this is exactly what happened last time (I just don't actually have the lights.)

In my view Microsoft sold me a crappy system and has yet to fix it to the standard that it should have been upon purchase. I feel like they perpetrated fraud on me (I'm sure other people who have had to send their boxes in multiple times feel a similar way.)

100% Retail:
Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Resident Evil 5, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Darksiders, Guitar Hero 5, Silent Hill: Homecoming, Dante's Inferno

100% Arcade:
Magic: The Gathering, Fable II Pub Games, Zombie Apocalypse, Dash of Destruction
when_vegans_attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
McKaystyles

McKaystyles's Gamercard
The rrod might be around the corner dude.. brace yourself little buddy, brace yourself. Put anything you want to keep, including you GP on a memory card NOW. I did this just to be cautious.

McKaystyles is offline   Reply With Quote