PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Strategy > Crystal Defenders
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Greg0fTheDead

Greg0fTheDead's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Tips for newbies like myself

I had alot of trouble beating the first wave of 30 on the initial map, usually dying around wave 26. anywho, there is an option on the main menu called dev-something that allows you to watch an "expert" play for the first fifteen waves giving you an idea of how to place your units a little better. This allowed me to beat the first map with ease and I almost beat it without losing a crystal =P

I know its obvious but I figure other people might look over it initially like I did.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
7ranslucen7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg0fTheDead View Post
I had alot of trouble beating the first wave of 30 on the initial map, usually dying around wave 26. anywho, there is an option on the main menu called dev-something that allows you to watch an "expert" play for the first fifteen waves giving you an idea of how to place your units a little better. This allowed me to beat the first map with ease and I almost beat it without losing a crystal =P

I know its obvious but I figure other people might look over it initially like I did.
the mobs that steal the crystals always got me till I watched those.
7ranslucen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:50 AM   #3
Greg0fTheDead

I didnt realize how badly I was positioning my troops until I checked that out. I didnt really use a thief either till I watched those and that was a huge mistake. I'm still not very good at the game, but I'm slowly learning and having alot of fun. Someone on the leaderboards already has all the achievements but the one for clearing a map without using a thief- crazy stuff.

On an unrelated note, I am shocked that the first XBLA game from square-enix is getting such little fanfare. I understand peggle is a really good game and I plan on trying it, but this game came out without so much as a blip on the radar.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:55 AM   #4
7ranslucen7

Quote:
I didnt realize how badly I was positioning my troops until I checked that out. I didnt really use a thief either till I watched those and that was a huge mistake. I'm still not very good at the game, but I'm slowly learning and having alot of fun. Someone on the leaderboards already has all the achievements but the one for clearing a map without using a thief- crazy stuff.

On an unrelated note, I am shocked that the first XBLA game from square-enix is getting such little fanfare. I understand peggle is a really good game and I plan on trying it, but this game came out without so much as a blip on the radar.
Yeah I definitely started using the thief, I never realized how much it changed the flow, I went from dying at 19-22 to 29.

And I'm just as surprised as you we're, I only added points for the south central DLC when I noticed the game, didn't know it was FF based or TD and to with a surprise it was really fun.
7ranslucen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:35 AM   #5
Sakurafire

Send a message via MSN to Sakurafire

Sakurafire's Gamercard
Quote:
I honestly didn't know about it until I seen it on the marketplace. Instant download. This is a real fun game though! Nice to relax to! Reminds me of the old Genesis strategy games... I was just talking about WARSONG too the other day.....

Sakurafire's Deviantart website // http://Sakurafire.deviantart.com
Sakurafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
Greg0fTheDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurafire View Post
I honestly didn't know about it until I seen it on the marketplace. Instant download. This is a real fun game though! Nice to relax to! Reminds me of the old Genesis strategy games... I was just talking about WARSONG too the other day.....
Truth be told, I didnt know about it either till I went to the MP to download the peggle demo. I recall a note about it on the main site news feed but just assumed "crystal defenders" was a sequel to crystal quest or something of that nature =P

I agree, it has a nostalgic feeling to it that also brings me back to that era. The audio selection is very good and final fantasy-ish.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Bury Your Bread

Quote:

when i go to DevPlay it shows a list but theres nothing there but --------
do i have to unlock them?
Bury Your Bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
hydroxyde

hydroxyde's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bury Your Bread View Post
when i go to DevPlay it shows a list but theres nothing there but --------
do i have to unlock them?
Yeah, I think you either have to play the level a few times, or complete a certain number of waves before new DevPlay replays unlock.
hydroxyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
Aprimex77

PresidentPanda's Gamercard
Thanks for the tip. I noticed the option but hadn't bothered to look at it.

And yeah, I don't know why this game has been so far under the radar. I played it on my iPhone when it was first released and loved it, so when I saw it on the XBLA I bought it almost immediately.

Aprimex77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
Dog Of Thunder

Dog of Thunder's Gamercard
Quote:
Whoa! A WARSONG mention!? You sir, are teh awesome.

With only 800 points left on my account, I opted for this over Peggle in a heartbeat. Didn't even stop to think. Saw that it was a Tower Defense, done by SquareEnix with the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance characters and music? I'm there.

Now if only I had more time to actually play it today...got to wave 28 before losing...on the grasslands...which is sad...I *know* I can do better!
Dog Of Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
FailedSeppuku

FailedSeppuku's Gamercard
LOL. I thought the Dev thing was for making your own maps, i'm such a n00b. This will help me lots, only had 2 goes on the first level and only made it to Wave 17 so far.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #12
fonzycore

fonzycore's Gamercard
i beat the first 4 levels really easy, died like once or twice on the two advanced maps. im having a hell of a time on world 2 though, i keep getting boned wicked hard. hopefully this dev tip helps, thanks! here is something ive noticed personally though

the game isnt about having a shit ton of troops and upgrading them whenever possible, you just carefuly place like maybe 4-6 throughout the entire game and level them up accordingly. my hardest issues with character placement at the moment are the crystals and thieves. its always so hard to get a thief in the right place
fonzycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
FailedSeppuku

FailedSeppuku's Gamercard
The DevPlay's usually only place 2 warriors and 1 thief to start until flying mobs come along, then they place 2 archers and a thief.

Just play and see where lots of mobs die, then stick a thief there, easy with warriors just stick them just after the warrs.

FOr wiz and Archers, stick them at choke points where the arch/wiz's kill the most mobs. Or stick a time mage right before the thief, the wiz/arch will pound the slow mob with the thief right next to.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:58 AM   #14
ApochWeiss

Send a message via AIM to ApochWeiss

Apoch x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Silver   x360a Representer   2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
I'm not a big strategy fan myself, but I enjoy Role Playing Games. Squaresoft was easily one of my favorrite companies. Square-Enix...not so much...the games have been rather lackluster lately. Not sure on Star Ocean though, didn't get to that one yet, too many games going now anyhow.

I didn't even know this game existed (due to my internet being shut off for a while, then the chord not working on me to connect the laptop to the modem) until I saw a "mediocre" review on ign.com. I figured, "Hey, it's Square, looks final fantasy, wtf?" and downloaded the demo.

Had to break out the old credit card for points haha. I agree it's not the greatest game out there, but it's fun if you're looking to kill time. I even decided to play this over Resident Evil 5 (but my vision was a huge factor in the decision as well, double vision will give a headache with any action game haha).

I saw the Dev-Play section and, honestly, I'm one of those guys who would rather sit down and play it myself and figure it out. Then I started W2 and also tried good samaritan and, hah, yeah, screw doing it myself haha. I can't get the hang of using the crystals! So, I'm using Dev-Play when I sit down to try to complete W2 and W3, as well as those kind folks who are uploading videos to these forums as aid (really appreciate it).

Now with film and game reviews (just for fun)!

ApochWeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:35 AM   #15
moacsupreme

Send a message via AIM to moacsupreme

moacsupreme's Gamercard
what i started doing was getting a piece of paper and a pencil and writing down what i did on each round. it helps a lot cause each time you can write down what went wrong and what you need to do to fix it. definitely worth the extra effort
Old 03-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #16
XeonMasta

XeonMasta's Gamercard
Quote:
I second that.

Great GP in this game. Brain exercise.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #17
BORG Dragon

BORG Dragon's Gamercard
Ya I was building TOO MANY units and not having many upgraded up to 7. Average was level 4 towers and that was it. Kept dying at like 23. I watched Dev Play and went "wow, only8 8ish mobs until wave 15"... I was using like 25 lol and no thieves.

This game is great and it's fun. I miss "Toad's Tower Def" on Starcraft:Broodwar LOL.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #18
TheRedKing

HI MEME's Gamercard
Gonna have to come back to this game and complete it after reading some of these tips.
TheRedKing is offline   Reply With Quote