PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Sports and Fitness > Tony Hawk: Ride
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Pyrochaos

AOS Pyrochaos's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I don't understand the hate for this game.

Yes, Skate has better graphics. Yes Skate may look realistic.

But why hate Activision for trying to get us off our fat asses? This could have the fun factor that Top Skater did back in the day.

I'm wondering what real skaters vs. non-skaters think as well.

Pyrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
MakoBallistic

MakoBallistic's Gamercard
Mainly because its just another way for Activison to charge up to twice as much as you normally would for a game, if you want to get off your ass then why not go buy a real skateboard and give that a go.

I have enjoyed every Tony Hawks game thats ever come out but i wont be getting this one simply because im sick of having to pay that much for a peripheral wich will just end up collecting dust and taking up loads of space, thats the exact reason why i got rid of all my Guitar Hero crap.

If they go back to the arcade insanity that made the previos Hawk games good then i will definitley be playing Tony Hawks again, but not like this. Also you can do essentially the same thing with Skate It on the Wii using the Wii fitness board thing, and that way you get 2 games and it costs about the same.

Hater's Gonna Hate, Hacker's Gonna Hack, Douche's Gonna Troll

Last edited by MakoBallistic; 10-14-2009 at 10:32 AM.
MakoBallistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
JohnnyR74

AbsolutioN IX's Gamercard
I think they're trying to re-invent themselves in the whole gaming peripheral craze, but i don't know how many people are going to want buy into it. IMO, people are losing interest in TH games.

JohnnyR74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Pyrochaos

AOS Pyrochaos's Gamercard

Well, you both have good points.

The Tony Hawk series was getting pretty repetitive, and their sales reflected that (1st skate sold twice as much as TH:PG). So in a way, I'm glad they are trying to re-invent the series.

In another sense, the whole "Charging more for a game" because it comes with the peripheral is also true. If it was something that was going to be supported through many games (like a new Shaun Palmer, new Kelly slater, ect) I wouldn't mind paying for it.

I might wait and see how things turn out with reviews. I always welcome new ways to play video games.

Pyrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
DCS 23

DCS23's Gamercard

its an epic fail if i wanted to play shit like this i would play my Wii if this game doesnt have some kind of controller alternative it will be a massive flop in comparison to the other titles..

My Grammar is bad so WAT..!
100% Games: None I'm Shit..
DCS 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:27 AM   #6
sharno

sharno's Gamercard
i think they are slapping the die hard tony hawk fans right in the face! i have owned every tony hawk with the exception of proving ground because money was low and i was straight boosting gamerscore so i wanted to move quickly and get to the next game. i have absolutely no interest in standing on this freaking plastic board and looking like an idiot. and another thing im 6' 2" and 275 (and no im not fat!) and im thinking one big step and crack its broken ! lol

personally i love skate and skate 2, especially after i figured out how to play! and think they are better but i have loved all tony hawks and had fun with them, except for proving ground and maybe the end of project 8 because i felt only a very small percentage of players could actually beat it to 100% cuz it was waaaaaaay too hard. but anyways im done blabbing! wish i could play this game with a controller!
Old 11-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Barad
Maximum Club's Warrior

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Diamond   Staff - Maximum Clubs Director   Achievement Guide - Emerald   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester
Total Awards: 24 (more» ...)
I personally love this game! and this game will rock tbh but skate have done a good job in their games..

Become a Subscriber | Become an Ambassador | Become an Artist | Community Gaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragarach Luin View Post
Barad's phone contains no games, only the numbers of various supermodels.
Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
MachineAres

AKB48xIDOLING's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
I think most of the hate comes from people who just don't want to pay more for something that could possibly be a pretty cool experience.

And for people saying go get a real skateboard, that's a novel idea but first of all I already have a real skateboard but learning to get good at real skating takes much more time, the right physical location and weather, is more expensive and a LOT more dangerous. So, being able to have a similar experience from my room? I think that's worth 100 bucks.
MachineAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
McKaystyles

McKaystyles's Gamercard
give it a shot guys

McKaystyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:40 AM   #10
Jordbrett

jordbrett84's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Speaking for both myself and my gf (non skateboarders) this game is hard as fuck. Maybe it's cause we just got it or we just suck but going straight is way too difficult. Probably a fun game if we had better balance, I guess.

Jordbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
adriano28

itz immense uk's Gamercard
well, when you do some real skateboarding, and end up getting injured, im sure the medical bill would cost more than this, for anybody who thinks that activision is ripping us off.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
JJBDude

Send a message via MSN to JJBDude

JJBDude48's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Okay guys I am a true skateboarder, one of the few people that loves skateboarding and video games, a combination which does make me pretty unique. I've been skating for nearly 6 years and am able to do all the fliptricks like 360 flips and kickflips that you are now apparently going to experience for yourself in Ride.

This is a big lie. Now I haven't played Ride but I've seen enough of it to see it's not like skateboarding at all, the peripheral is broken. Think about it, there are sensors that detect where your body weight is putting pressure, this in return makes you move left and right. This is correct and I can give props that turning and going in to manual balance will be similar to the real experience and you'll get a kick out of it, but that's it. When it comes to doing tricks your never going to experience what it's like to do an Ollie and then use your feet to flick the board, that's completely different to just moving the board with your toes or putting pressure on the senses. I can't stress this point enough, I'm sure when I get on the board and give it a try for myself I'm just going to feel frustrated as it will be such an epic failure and let down.

I said this in the other thread I replied in but I will mention it here too. I love Tony Hawk as he's an amazing skateboarder and a true inspiration, this doesn't however mean his new video game deserves automatic success. It needs more tweaking and better game modes (sound terrible from reviews) to make it decent.

End of the day guys it's not worth $100 or 100 to get this because you think the medical bill will cost more from when you get hurt skateboarding. That large sum of money is only giving you a tiny fraction of what it's like to be on a skateboard and it's simply not worth it. Oh and for the record I've only had to go to hospital once due to skateboarding because I split my chin open. Yes it's dangerous but not as bad as some of you guys make it out to be.
JJBDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
mauleriscool

I played almost every Tony hawk since ps1. Played with dial up till Tony Hawks Underground, then eventually upgraded to broadband so I could host 8 player matches.
Stopped playing tony hawk games after the first one on the next gen consoles. Just wish they would bring back the old school version of a real tony hawk game because RIDE looks awful.
mauleriscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #14
Pro Killer 171

Pro Killer 171's Gamercard
I lold so friken hard

I did a proper kickflip on the board and the game said i did some random trick :L and like others i skate and its nothing like the tricks, to do a kickflip u do the same thing but the board dont move u just make a similar movemtn and you done it, this might make people think skating is piss, then DIE!!!

FIRST TO 25,000 (Im Losing )

PaZ BOOSTS GAMES jokes

Pro Killer 171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
aidenkael

This game is amazing. Give it a shot bros. A lot of places rent the game and board, so go rent it. Garentee you will have fun with it.

(Sorry for spelling not using firefox :P)
aidenkael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:38 AM   #16
marKot1k

marKot1K's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Yeah, I'm a skater too - have been for 16 years now...

And well, holy crap tbh, I think this game is just a disaster.

Its a broken mess, its REALLY boring - I cant believe how repetitive it is.

Nope. Its shit.

And to think its like 100 here in the uk.

Ha, no wonder sales are abysmal - as soon as word got round the skater community, that it played NOTHING like was shown in the trailer, nobody wanted it anymore...

It could have been great - if the game was up to the high finish of the board; but sorry Mr. Hawk - you aint just cocked this up, but you've lost my respect too.

Just my two cents :P
marKot1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:02 AM   #17
Joe x360a

Hirstyyy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter
I too am pretty big, only young but going on 6' 4", and a game like this would make me feel all the more unco-ordinated, not to mention it will probably give me a bad back. I don't see how it can work, the joy for me would be doing tricks, in which can't happen, as it basically just leans a little. I don't think i'll be getting this, ever.

I like achievements.

Joe x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:19 AM   #18
XxBlueSpade2xX

exoroughneck's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I think it's the over-saturation of the peripheral market.

I'm waiting for a hunting game with a real gun, and real bullets.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #19
thedave

TheDave78's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
I got this for xmas, but I told people not to pay $120 for it though.
Then it dropped to $90 after the first few weeks of crap sales, so I said get it then ($120 was WAAAAY too much...)

After playing the game a bit now, I really like it!

I realized that I have zero balance though...
That is the main reason people are having such a hard time playing this game I think.

It is just that too, a GAME!
Is it suppose to be a perfect replication of skateboarding? I certainly hope not.
Is it similar to real skateboarding? I think it is a little bit. But it is in no way a perfect replication (nor could any video GAME really be a perfect replication).

But for what it is, I think it is pretty fun. You just need lots of patience for YOURSELF, and your lack a balance / coordination with using this new peripheral.
thedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:20 AM   #20
Goetzsta

Vicious Goetz's Gamercard
Fuck knows who just said that this game is not like skating - this game is made for your front room, your not going to be doing kick-fucking-flips in the front room are you? It's the closest thing to real skating that you can do in your front room.

And lets be fair, there is no way you could possibly have time for skating + playin xbox, especially when you have 100k+ GS.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #21
EDLOM

EDLOM's Gamercard
Always have time...

I work about 10hrs a day, five days a week, surf at least three times a week for 2-6hrs session, spend time with wife, go out for social life, play basketball, go to gym three times a week and still manage to have 180k+.
My opinion, this game is junk and dangerous. I used to skate and when you get into it, you accidently flick the board like you do in real life. Playing on wooden floor and drinking beer wasn't a good idea so I just play it on a stool with my hand now lol
EDLOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 AM   #22
jonesat

jonesat's Gamercard
i think the hate in this game comes mostly from haters, thinking that once they pick up the game they should instantly be pro, kind of like how when gh first came out, ppl who play guitar all the time hated it because they wernt instantly good at it.

i actually like this game, and i like the idea, i wanna play a snowboarding game like this!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #23
yanks19791024

I just got the game and the board for 15 bucks on ebay
yanks19791024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:37 AM   #24
DarkAssassin13

Funny thing is everywhere this game got a horrible score and rep but now Tony Hawk Shred is doing the same as Ride you think they would of learned the first time lol
DarkAssassin13 is offline   Reply With Quote