Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox 360
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
positivelyamazing

Why did the wired controller fail?

Doesn't make sense to me!

Wired controller: long cord, light, just as sturdy, PC compatible (), never needs batteries...

Wireless controller: battery drainer, not PC compatible unless you have that receiver (the plug & play cable DOES NOT sync contrary to belief), bulkier due to its battery pack...

I love my wired controllers. It just confuses me how the wired one didn't survive. You can't even really find 'em in stores anymore!
positivelyamazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Bleeding Star

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
simple answer is that everything these days is wireless

I have quite often thought of buying a wired controller, but when everything can be done without wires then its just less messy and easier
Old 10-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
VladimirK

VladimirK's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Do what I do then.

Buy a wireless controller, buy a plug n play charge kit.
Plug it in, but leave out the battery pack, there works the same as a wired controller, whilst it's still on Xbox.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Hot Juicy Pie

Hot Juicy Pie's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Wireless controllers get more distance and inflict more collateral damage when you nerd rage and throw that bitch across the room

960/960 Titanfall Challenges Completed

Hot Juicy Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Keano

Location: The sinking ship that's full of shit and someone's nicked the oars
Send a message via AIM to Keano Send a message via MSN to Keano

Gooner Keano's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Forza 3 Subscribers Tournament- Third Place   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Uno Rush Subscribers Tournament - Second Place   1,000 Posts   Call of Duty: WaW Subscribers Tourn. - Runner Up   Submit - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
It just makes everything tider instead of having wires all over the place (although at the rate 360 controllers drain battery you spend most of the time charging it.)

I don't see your point though as you can still buy Official Xbox 360 Wired controllers?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
AOS Puck

AOS Puck's Gamercard

Awards Showcase CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   2,500 Posts   Staff/Subscriber Last Man Standing - Third Place   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck   XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 16 (more» ...)
There are two big reasons I don't use wired controllers any more:

1. The cords were too short for my living room.

2. My friends aren't the most graceful of people and in the past generation (XBOX & PS2), I can't count the number of times someone tripped over a wire and pulled the controller either out of someone's hand, or out of the system.

Read them.... apply them.
AOS Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
iKhaotic

xZero Shift's Gamercard
because everything is wireless these days and it looks neater without the wires. i'm somewhat of a wire-phobe myself so wireless is nice, i use rechargeable batteries and the plug and play kit so batteries isn't a problem.

now, if only there were such things as wireless HDMI and power cords, then my 360 would be golden..... xD

If the word "Gundam" rings a bell for you, join the Gundam Union group here on x360a: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...hp?groupid=609
iKhaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
captain host

secoyaaa's Gamercard
I still use my wired controller when i forget to recharge my battery but man, it piss me real bad everytime i pass in front of my tv and accidently pull the wire out whit my feet
captain host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
Revolver

Send a message via AIM to Revolver Send a message via MSN to Revolver

RevolverOcl2's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelyamazing View Post
Wireless controller: battery drainer, not PC compatible unless you have that receiver (the plug & play cable DOES NOT sync contrary to belief), bulkier due to its battery pack...
Battery drainer: That's what battery packs are for...

Not PC compatible: Not a lof of people play PC games so investing on making every single wireless controller PC compatible would be a waste of money on MS's part.

Bulkier: Do some weight lifting if it's too much strain on your hands.

Also, wired video game controllers is a dead technology and not many people find it convenient anymore.
It's all about wireless nowadays.
Complaining about wireless controllers would be like wanting old school cell phones to still be in use today.
Is this the kind of cell you carry with you OP?

Last edited by Revolver; 10-14-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
iKhaotic

xZero Shift's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain host View Post
I still use my wired controller when i forget to recharge my battery but man, it piss me real bad everytime i pass in front of my tv and accidently pull the wire out whit my feet
not as bad as this one time, i was playing Brawl with some friends and we were using wired Gamecube controllers. one of my friends walked in front of us, tripped over the controller wires, and brought the Wii crashing down 2 feet onto wooden floor xD

it survived, but good thing it wasn't my Wii lol

If the word "Gundam" rings a bell for you, join the Gundam Union group here on x360a: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...hp?groupid=609
iKhaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
Nightbeam

Nightbeamz's Gamercard
I have two wireless controllers and a cheap-ass Nyko rechargable battery kit that comes with two backs that can only be used for a little bit more than 30 minutes. Needless to say, I use a lot of batteries.

Nightbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Hot Juicy Pie

Hot Juicy Pie's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
Battery drainer: That's what battery packs are for...

Not PC compatible: Not a lof of people play PC games so investing on making every single wireless controller PC compatible would be a waste of money on MS's part.

Bulkier: Do some weight lifting if it's too much strain on your hands.

Also, wired video game controllers is a dead technology and not many people find it convenient anymore.
It's all about wireless nowadays.
Complaining about wireless controllers would be like wanting old school cell phones to still be in use today.
Is this the kind of cell you carry with you OP?
Don't forget to mention the original laptop

960/960 Titanfall Challenges Completed

Hot Juicy Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
Joel301

Send a message via Skype™ to Joel301

cK Luigy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
1. Wired Controllers always fail
2. You started 5 threads in 5 minutes
Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #14
dakisbac

Send a message via Skype™ to dakisbac

Mister Dak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Gold Medal   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Minty   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Third Place   Staff Club - dakisbac   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
The only upsides I see to the wireless controllers is that they can be used farther away and they eliminate the possibility of people tripping over wires.

I don't care for those upsides since A) I'm blind so I have to sit close anyway and B) with the introduction of the connectors in the middle of the wire on the original Xbox I don't have to worry about the controller being ripped from my hand or the console, and I can live with the slight irritation of the game being paused until it's reconnected.

It's downsides are that it depends on batteries, which, first and foremost, have to be a certain type (LR6 IIRC) which are of course the most expensive, that the controller eats the battery power like crazy (which means it's plugged in a lot of the time anyway), the rechargeable battery packs are a disastrous failure, and the play and charge kit is shoddily made and can become stop working at any time. Plus, the controller generates more heat, the controller is heavier, and the way I hold my controller means my fingers are squished between the battery pack and the controller on the back.

Downsides >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Upsides,

therefore

Wired controllers >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wireless controllers
dakisbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:40 AM   #15
Qonok

Qonok's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Never Final   Over Achiever - Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakisbac View Post
It's downsides are that it depends on batteries, which, first and foremost, have to be a certain type (LR6 IIRC) which are of course the most expensive, that the controller eats the battery power like crazy (which means it's plugged in a lot of the time anyway), the rechargeable battery packs are a disastrous failure, and the play and charge kit is shoddily made and can become stop working at any time.
I thought this was interesting. I got my rechargeable battery pack last December and I have had 10 hour+ play days without running out of juice. I wonder if I got lucky with some good ones or if many get unlucky with bad ones.

Qonok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 AM   #16
Vandit96

Vandit96's Gamercard
it failed because it's wired.
For me wired stuff is kinda bad, i don't like to drag the cord around me and stuff, it's just anoying.
Wireless is awesome, better, and more comfortable...and u don't need 100 cables in ur house ...
Old 10-15-2009, 02:49 AM   #17
IceFire5

ForsakenIceFire's Gamercard
I prefer a wired controller... I like it more because it's lighter and no charging the battery
IceFire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:42 AM   #18
MoonSka

MoonSka's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakisbac View Post
It's downsides are that it depends on batteries, which, first and foremost, have to be a certain type (LR6 IIRC) which are of course the most expensive, that the controller eats the battery power like crazy (which means it's plugged in a lot of the time anyway), the rechargeable battery packs are a disastrous failure, and the play and charge kit is shoddily made and can become stop working at any time.
An LR6 battery is just a AA battery. Nothing special and therefore not necessarily the most expensive. While you can certainly buy higher quality AA batteries, that's your choice as the buyer. I've also been using the same two rechargeable battery packs since launch and the same Quick Charger since it was releases back in '06.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:30 AM   #19
ApochWeiss

Send a message via AIM to ApochWeiss

Apoch x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Silver   x360a Representer   2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Here's my stance on this, and it makes logical sense if you think about it.

First of all, it's wireless which is great, you can play practically anywhere in the room, even exit the room if need be, and still play. The wire restricts your gaming location. It also cuts down the amount of times people trip over the cable and a) break the controller, b) rip it from the game and fuck you up, c) break the console. I've had all 3 happen many a time back in the PS2 days.

Second, it's heavier, yes, and like one poster said it allows for further distance during nerd rage. I know this, I've chucked it out of both nerd and regular rage. They're VERY hard to break, I'll crack one open and still be able to play when it comes to the wired, but wireless seems to be built stronger, probably due to the battery pack that needs to be added. While the wired is lighter, I personally prefer having a little weight to the controller, it makes it easier to hold and use, whereas a lighter wired one, I may get too into the game and have it slip out of my hands thinking I have a strong enough grip but really don't.

Third, the battery. So what? I'd rather spend $20 for a charging battery pack I can use when the thing dies and still play my game, then have to go to the store and shell out another $60 because Geno the Dildo didn't see the darker wire against the dark carpeting which not only pulled out the 360 and broke it and scratched the disk, but also caused the HD wires in the back to pull the HDTV down and completely destroy it. NOW you have the risk of a fire too!

So, if you think about it, it's all perfectly logical that the wireless one works. I mean, I don't really have people over my place, so I have wired ones, but I prefer the wireless still, simply because of all the aforementioned reasons

And, btw OP, "Why did the wired controller fail?" made me think this was a nerd version of "Why did the chicken cross the road?". EPIC let down...

Now with film and game reviews (just for fun)!

ApochWeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:18 AM   #20
Evil Chris 85

Evil Chris 85's Gamercard
I think wireless controllers are great, I mean how else could I sit in my garden and smoke a cigerette while killing some locust ass lol, it's new age technology, do you look backwards while walking forwards??
Evil Chris 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #21
beer is gud

beer is gud's Gamercard
No wires just makes it so much easier and they hassle to move around. The play and charge kits aren't great though, so I'll be picking up some rechargable batteries soon, because they actually work properly for ages.
beer is gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #22
RadiantViper

radiantviper's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Bronze
I just use rechargeable batteries ... simple.

I hated when my controllers got all tangle up because of the wires, so I like wireless ones.
RadiantViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:14 AM   #23
SKIBADABOMSKI

CRISP EATERS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladimirK View Post
Do what I do then.

Buy a wireless controller, buy a plug n play charge kit.
Plug it in, but leave out the battery pack, there works the same as a wired controller, whilst it's still on Xbox.
That's what i do. I sit on the floor leaning against my bed so no need for wireless.
SKIBADABOMSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #24
phobzy85

Send a message via MSN to phobzy85

Phobzy85's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I bought an energizer recharging pack (4 batteries) set me back 7 from Asda. Usually I have 2 on charge whilst 2 are in my pad. Then I have a wired just in case I forget to charge them up. Wired didn't fail. It's just not the preferred accessory nowadays.

phobzy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #25
My Gamertag is Papa Skull
Banned User

Papa Skull's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Haha wow he did make 5 threads in 5 minutes..

But back on topic. Wireless is the way to go, if you have a play and charge kit, which kind of makes it wired..
My Gamertag is Papa Skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #26
Starstrukk X360A

Nerdcrest's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
My little sister got a wired controller for Christmas last year.
She asked my dad for a controller but never specified what kind.

So I guess they are still available...just rare.

Follow me on the internet:

Starstrukk X360A is offline   Reply With Quote