Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Games for Windows Live Games > Tinker
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-16-2009, 11:50 PM   #1
digitalink

digitai ink's Gamercard
Achievement Guide

Tinker Achievement Guide.

If you have anything to add such as guides or tips, please let me know and I will add it and credit you.

Background: Tinker is the first Windows Live Arcade game. It is only available through Windows Live and cannot be played on the Xbox 360. You goal is to guide the robot Tinker, safely through 160 puzzles.

*Note* This game has 15 achievements rather then the standard 12.

Overview:
+ Estimated achievement difficulty: 3/10
+ Offline: 15 (200)
+ Online: 0 (0)
+ Approximate time: 3-8 Hours (depends heavily on how fast you can solve the puzzles and your use of guides)
+ Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1
+ Missable Achievements: 0
+ Glitched achievements: Yes, see below for more details.
+ Avatar Awards: 0
+ Cheats: 0

Glitched achievements: There have been reports of achievements unlocking but not counting towards your gamerscore. You need to make sure you are signed into your live account when you play. If an achievement is not counting towards your score, such as "Dance Tinker, Dance!" try rebooting the game and sign in again. If this still does not work, delete your game save and start over. (you can also make a back up of your original save and replace it with the new save after the achievement has unlocked.) Some people are having the Knowledge is Power achievement unlock after every level but not count towards their profile. As of now I have no solution for this so please let me know if you have found one. Finally the Robot Master achievement (10,000 steps) has unlocked instantly for some. Smile this is a good thing

Set 7 Level 19: This glitch has been fixed in current patch.

Video Guides: Some of these levels can be quite tricky to pass, even harder still to do so on par. Lucky for us, video guides can make anything a walk in the park. Unlucky for you I don't have any... but Compgeek_36 does! So check out his Tinker Video Guides.

Level Completion Achievements.
Tinker has one tutorial section and seven sets. Each set has 20 levels for a grand total of 160 levels. In order to pass a level, you simple have to get from the start point to the finish point with out running out of moves, blocking yourself in, or breaking Tinker.

Knowledge Is Power - 10
"Learn the Ropes"

You will unlock this achievement when you pass every level in the tutorial.

Over The Hill - 15
"Complete a majority of the levels"

You will unlock this achievement after you pass 71 levels. (Just a reminder the tutorial section does not count towards this achievement. If you are going in order this should unlock when you pass the 11th level on the fourth set.)

Mastermind - 20
"Complete all the levels"

You will unlock this achievement once your pass all 160 levels.

A Strong Start - 10
"Conquer the Tutorial Set"

See "Perfection Achieved"

Stamina - 10
"Conquer 1 Set"

Endurance - 10
"Conquer 2 Sets"

Determination - 15
"Conquer 3 Sets"

Resilience - 20
"Conquer 5 Sets"

Perfection Achieved - 25
"Conquer everything"

Each level also has 3 requirements for you to complete in order for you to be under par and "conquer" a level. They are the time your complete the level in, the number of movements you make, and collectibles gathered. Conquering a set means you have conquered all 20 levels within that set. This achievement will unlock once you have conquered all 160 levels in the game. If you become stuck on a level, there is a great thread with video guides being posted here. (Special thanks to Compgeek_36 and his team!)

The set 7 level 19 glitch has been patched so as long as you have the updated version, this achievement will unlock when you meet the requirements.

Other Achievements.

Dance Tinker, Dance! - 10
"Make Tinker Dance"

When you get to the winner's circle (end point) on a level, Tinker will dance. This will unlock the first time you complete any level.

Speedy Robot - 10
"Beat a few level with a time well below par"

This achievement will unlock once you beat 5 levels with a time 20 seconds under par. This is easiest done during the tutorial levels. You can replay levels for faster times.

Robot Controller - 10
"Become comfortable with controlling Tinker"

Turn 1,000 times. You will unlock this naturally while playing through the game. Or you can load up a level and turn around in circles until you run out of moves. Rinse and repeat. After you turn 1,000 times you need to complete a level for this to unlock.

Smack My Switch Up - 10
"Step 1: Switch goes left. Step 2: Switch goes right. Step 3: Profit!"

This will unlock once you have flipped 200 switches. Like Robot Controller you can spam this achievement by flipping a switch over and over. After you do it 200 times you need to complete a level for it to unlock.

Robot Master - 15
"Meld your mind with that of Tinker’s."

This achievement will unlock when you take 10,000 turns. After you have taken 10,000 turns you will need to complete a level for this to unlock. (This achievement has also been known to unlock instantly for some.)

You may or may not get this playing normally. It is possible to conquer all 7 sets without taking 10,000 turns. If you wish to "boost" this achievement, you can tape down the down arrow key and the space-bar and let it sit for about an hour or two. Come back and complete a level and it should unlock.

Secret Achievements:

Close Call - 10
"Beat a level on your last step."

This achievement will unlock when you pass a level with 0 movements left. This can be done on any number of the levels during the tutorial. Once you are one move from the end point, turn in circles until you have one movement left then step onto the end point. Or as Zenith94x mentioned you can simple stand in front of the end point and use the action skill until you have 1 move left and then step on the goal.

**note** if you lose when you stepping on the winner's circle with your last move your game may be glitched. try the below method to get the achievement.

Set 01 Level 12. Get your energy down to 2 before getting on the conveyor that takes you to the end point, then as you're being placed on the end point by the conveyor hit the arrow key to turn and use my last energy. It has to be hit when on the end point before the dance animation begins not the conveyor belt. (Thanks to copyright)

Completed Retail (??): Recent - Mass Effect 3
Completed Arcade (??): Recent - Joe Danger
Insider Moves on Inside Xbox gave me a shout out!!
In motion: Backlogged like a mofo...

Last edited by digitalink; 04-24-2010 at 11:19 PM.
digitalink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
Massa Siggy

Saint Sigmund's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalink View Post

Dance Tinker, Dance! - 10
"Make Tinker Dance"

When you get to the finish point on a level Tinker will dance. This will unlock the first time you complete any level.
I'm not sure if it's just me, but this one is bugged on my PC.

Edit: Nevermind, I had to log out and reboot the game to trigger it.

Credit to Spazaz Man for the sweet sig

Last edited by Massa Siggy; 12-16-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Massa Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
TheOnlyDragon

Send a message via MSN to TheOnlyDragon

theonlydragonsi's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massa Siggy View Post

it worked fine on mine
and its about time they did this lol i wonder if they will give achievements to solitare

Started on 18/2/2009
25k hit on 18/12/2009
50k hit on 15/7/2010
75k hit on 17/6/2011
TheOnlyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:17 AM   #4
Lukeweizer

Lukeweizer's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massa Siggy View Post

I unlocked the Dance achievement but it's not showing up on my GT. So I went to the main menu and signed in (although I'm pretty sure I already did) and finished a level again but no chieve. Unlocked the Speedy achievement and that's showing up as my 1st one and the dance won't pop again. Am I screwed out of 10 points? I even exited the game and re-did the first level and still nothing.
Lukeweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
endless852

endless852's Gamercard
it aint gonna take 24 hours, pal.
endless852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
digitalink

digitai ink's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by endless852 View Post
very true lol. i meant two. *corrected*

Old 12-17-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
unkled20

unkled20's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by endless852 View Post
I heard about this game and was going to download it but I saw 24 hours and decided not to get it. Anyone else have an idea of how long it will take?

EDIT: seems like the OP was editing his post while I was writing my post....thanks!

Last edited by unkled20; 12-17-2009 at 12:27 AM.
unkled20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:26 AM   #8
digitalink

digitai ink's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeweizer View Post
I unlocked the Dance achievement but it's not showing up on my GT. So I went to the main menu and signed in (although I'm pretty sure I already did) and finished a level again but no chieve. Unlocked the Speedy achievement and that's showing up as my 1st one and the dance won't pop again. Am I screwed out of 10 points? I even exited the game and re-did the first level and still nothing.
I doubt you will be screwed out of the 10 points. If exiting the game and rebooting it signed in didn't work you may want to try and delete your save file and start over.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #9
digitalink

digitai ink's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkled20 View Post
I heard about this game and was going to download it but I saw 24 hours and decided not to get it. Anyone else have an idea of how long it will take?
that was a very bad typo on my part. there is a total of 160 levels. Each one taking no more then 1 minute to complete. That is to say if you can solve the puzzle. But there are video guides all over the place to help with each level. If your using guides, a few hours should be all you need to 200.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #10
Matictac

Matictac's Gamercard
Quote:
that was a very bad typo on my part. there is a total of 160 levels. Each one taking no more then 1 minute to complete. That is to say if you can solve the puzzle. But there are video guides all over the place to help with each level. If your using guides, a few hours should be all you need to 200.
Problem is, there's only guides for the first 2 sets.
Matictac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #11
digitalink

digitai ink's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matictac View Post
Problem is, there's only guides for the first 2 sets.
as of now i this forum yes, but i have seen some of the later sets on you tube. once you get that far i'm sure you will be able to find what your looking for.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:47 AM   #12
Fakan

Fakan's Gamercard
For people saying they got an achievement and it doesn't show up on the gamercard: I had this issue with aceing the tutorial and couldn't figure out the problem. Turned out, my internet, being sucky as it is, went out some time before I got the achievement. Hence, no communication between Tinker and Microsoft. Once I quit the game and turned it back on, internet restored, Microsoft noticed it and added the ten or however many points.

Basically, it's a matter of making sure you're connected to the internet at some point while playing the game. If you have crappy satelite internet like me (proxy/dynamic IP or whatever the hell it's called), it's just a matter of logging out and logging in again.
Fakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:52 AM   #13
Zenith94x

ArkticZenith's Gamercard
An easier way to get Close Call is to stand in front facing the goal and then just using your action skill. Once you get 1 energy left, just walk into the goal.
Zenith94x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #14
digitalink

digitai ink's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith94x View Post
An easier way to get Close Call is to stand in front facing the goal and then just using your action skill. Once you get 1 energy left, just walk into the goal.
thank you, added it to the guide.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:33 AM   #15
Teh Paralyzer

New Paralyzer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Aww you beat me. I already made the guide last night. I even submitted it already lol but this darn Thread wasn't open yet.

4th Person to 1K DDR Universe on X360A... on my old gamertag
Teh Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:41 AM   #16
samjustsam

sam just sam's Gamercard
i finally got the chievo for dancing. i had to delete my save to get it tho. these chievos are weird. it gave me the one for 10,000 moves insted of the one for 1,000. funny thing is it was at the start of the game and im sure i was nowhere near 1,000 moves much less 10,000 when it gave it to me. kinda takes the fun out of the challenge of the achievement. so i wonder if im screwed out of the chievo for getting the 1,000 moves now.
samjustsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:43 AM   #17
The Drumber 1

the drumber 1's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakan View Post
For people saying they got an achievement and it doesn't show up on the gamercard: I had this issue with aceing the tutorial and couldn't figure out the problem. Turned out, my internet, being sucky as it is, went out some time before I got the achievement. Hence, no communication between Tinker and Microsoft. Once I quit the game and turned it back on, internet restored, Microsoft noticed it and added the ten or however many points.

Basically, it's a matter of making sure you're connected to the internet at some point while playing the game. If you have crappy satelite internet like me (proxy/dynamic IP or whatever the hell it's called), it's just a matter of logging out and logging in again.
I don't think this is the problem. I had the issue with the dance achievement, but I left it and when I came back a few hours later and played again it unlocked and stayed that way.
I am still having problems with the "Knowledge Is Power" achievement though. Everytime I complete a level (not just the tutorial ones) it pops up as if I got the achievement, and if I press the home key when the notification is there I can see it as unlocked on my gamercard. But then if I look at my gamertag later it doesn't show as unlocked anymore. Is anyone having similar issues?

The Drumber 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:01 AM   #18
Compgeek_36

Connorbs's Gamercard
yes, as of now I only have sets 1-2, the tutorial video is peculating on the you-tube server, and there are many solutions out for set 3 right now, but no compilation, since i don't feel comfortable downloading and splicing the content and calling it my own (don't wan't to step on peoples toes and them calling me a thief) I'll either be waiting for people to post compilations, or be recording my own, (like the tutorial one)
Old 12-17-2009, 03:38 AM   #19
Tubby 94

Tubby94's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
great guide but did anyone else notice that the robot master achievement picture was stolen from a universe at war achievement?

Retail Games completed: 146

Arcade games completed:75

Tubby 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:28 AM   #20
Fire Hawk D

Fire Hawk GYJS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I'm having trouble getting Close Call. Everytime I try to step onto the goal with 1 point left, I lose. Am I doing somethign wrong? o.O
Fire Hawk D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #21
digitalink

digitai ink's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk D View Post
I'm having trouble getting Close Call. Everytime I try to step onto the goal with 1 point left, I lose. Am I doing somethign wrong? o.O
The step you take onto the goal point should be your last move. Even if you have zero moves left you will pass the level if you are standing on the goal. So if your losing then yes you are doing something wrong. Are you standing right in front of the goal and hitting the action key until you have one move left?

Old 12-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #22
Fire Hawk D

Fire Hawk GYJS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I'm hitting the action button till my Energy slot says "1". then, I'm stepping onto the goal.

EDIT: Ok, I figured it out...kind of. I looked at everyone else's problem, usually with other achievements, and most suggested restarting the program and trying again. Did that, and it worked for this one too.

Last edited by Fire Hawk D; 12-17-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Fire Hawk D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #23
tastefulmrship

Sarone T C's Gamercard
Robot Controller - 10
"Become comfortable with controlling Tinker"

Turn 1,000 times. You will unlock this naturally while playing through the game. Or you can load up a level and turn around in circles until you run out of moves. Rinse and repeat.

- I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but for this to work you have to complete the level your just turning around on. The achievements only unlock at the end of levels!
tastefulmrship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #24
Facial La Fleur

Facial La Fleur's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   x360a Book Club
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Ok, granted ONCE SOMEONE MAKES VIDEOS this game might take between 2 and 3 hours to complete. But until the videos exist (what if they never get made?) I don't think we can rightfully say this is a 2 hour game. I spent 2 hours between the the tutorials and first set alone (without videos).

Facial La Fleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:42 PM   #25
x352x pH

Send a message via AIM to x352x pH

x352x pH's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Quote:
Close Call - 10
"Beat a level on your last step."

This achievement will unlock when you pass a level with 0 movements left. This can be done on any number of the levels during the tutorial. Once you are one move from the end point, turn in circles until you have one movement left then step onto the end point. Or as Zenith94x mentioned you can simple stand in front of the end point and use the action skill until you have 1 move left and then step on the goal.
okay, everytime i try this, the *ding* sound goes off but then he hangs his head and its like "do you want to try this level again?" seems impossible.. am i doing something wrong? i followed your instructions exactly
Mobile - 10
Win8 - 3
PC/GFWL - 2

x352x pH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #26
TheOnlyDragon

Send a message via MSN to TheOnlyDragon

theonlydragonsi's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by x352x pH View Post
okay, everytime i try this, the *ding* sound goes off but then he hangs his head and its like "do you want to try this level again?" seems impossible.. am i doing something wrong? i followed your instructions exactly
wen u have 1 left u wlk on to the end square if he hangs his head then uve probly not done it right

Started on 18/2/2009
25k hit on 18/12/2009
50k hit on 15/7/2010
75k hit on 17/6/2011
TheOnlyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #27
digitalink

digitai ink's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facial La Fleur View Post
Ok, granted ONCE SOMEONE MAKES VIDEOS this game might take between 2 and 3 hours to complete. But until the videos exist (what if they never get made?) I don't think we can rightfully say this is a 2 hour game. I spent 2 hours between the the tutorials and first set alone (without videos).
This guide was designed in mind for having guides for every level. But your right, as of now that may be misleading for some, so it has been changed. Thank you for your input.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #28
x352x pH

x352x pH's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyDragon View Post
wen u have 1 left u wlk on to the end square if he hangs his head then uve probly not done it right
i don't understand. how can this be "done wrong"? i followed those instructions EXACTLY. i have ONE move left and i move forward to the goal. and it goes *ding*! but he hangs his head and i lose. wtf?
Mobile - 10
Win8 - 3
PC/GFWL - 2

Old 12-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #29
digitalink

digitai ink's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by x352x pH View Post
i don't understand. how can this be "done wrong"? i followed those instructions EXACTLY. i have ONE move left and i move forward to the goal. and it goes *ding*! but he hangs his head and i lose. wtf?
its making you restart the level even though you are standing on the end point?

Old 12-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #30
x352x pH

x352x pH's Gamercard

Quote:
its making you restart the level even though you are standing on the end point?
yes! i dont know what the deal is, want me to take a screenshot or something? lol
Mobile - 10
Win8 - 3
PC/GFWL - 2