PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Half Life 2: The Orange Box
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
XxBlueSpade2xX

exoroughneck's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Half Life 1

I guess I missed the original. I just bought the Orange Box and I really dig the Half Life 2/Ep2/Ep3 stories. Could you guys tell me how I can play the original? What console? Is it a PC only game?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
singingbush

singingbush's Gamercard
The Orange Box was indeed awesome. I just finished episode 2 today. The original Half Life was PC and PS2
Old 12-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
Spawn Man

The Spawn Man's Gamercard
I never played the original one either - it was on the PC. It doesn't make too much difference though, I got the plot pretty easily. Apparently the vautigaunts were enemies in the first game (much like the elites in Halo).

My Favourite Quotes:

Imagine a pinata that includes not candy, by damnation. That's the Javelin Glitch in a nutshell.

I think Infinity Ward is racist. CoD 4: Modern Warfare had watermelons. Modern Warfare 2 has chickens. They are racist. They. Are. Racist.

DISGRUNTLED???!!! ANGRY ABOUT AN ACHIEVEMENT, A GAME, YOUR MOM, MICROSOFT, NOOBS OR CAMPERS???!!!
WELL JOIN THE ANGRY GAMERS CLUB!!! WHERE ANGRY GAMERS COME TO VENT SINCE 2009!!!
Spawn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
[Waggly Bean]

Waggly Bean's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
The original was great on PS2. I can't vouch for the PC version, although I imagine there's a good chance that that was actually better...

The PS2 version actually had two campaigns in it - the main single player which saw you take the role of Freeman, and told the story up until Half Life 2 (obviously).

The other campaign was a two-player co-op campaign, which saw you as two female scientists (as I remember). The story and objectives were different to Freeman's, but it followed along the same timeline as the main campaign, so you see some of the same events happening, but from a different perspective. It was all done quite well, and I thought it was pretty clever at the time!

EDIT: An XBLA release of the original would be bloody amazing thinking about it!
In many ways, I actually preferred the first Half Life to any of the HL2 chapters...

[Waggly Bean] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
XxBlueSpade2xX

exoroughneck's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Waggly Bean] View Post
EDIT: An XBLA release of the original would be bloody amazing thinking about it!
In many ways, I actually preferred the first Half Life to any of the HL2 chapters...
That would be great. I think I'll try to get it on PC. I love how the dialogue is sparse but important. I would really like to get the whole story.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:02 AM   #6
JustiBoy

JustiBoy's Gamercard
I really do hope that they release it for the XBLA. If not I will just have to get it on the PC.
JustiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
Daywalker-san

Send a message via AIM to Daywalker-san Send a message via MSN to Daywalker-san Send a message via Yahoo to Daywalker-san

Saxton Hale's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Its on promotion at the moment on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70/
Old 02-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
Jet1337

Jet1337's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I played the pc version and beat it and it's overrated. I'd take Red Faction 1 over that game just for the fun factor.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Nihilus6

lord nihilus's Gamercard
if you want to play the first half life then wait because black mesa is (hopefully) coming out soon
Nihilus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Kunduz

Herr Karamell's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Download it from Steam . Half-life 1 was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator51 View Post
In that case, people will have to download more RAM for it. Consoles have come a long way since they first appeared, so this is very possible.
Kunduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:42 AM   #11
onestarv2

onestar v2's Gamercard
The original half life is amazing. Honestly the best way to play it is to buy it for steam. Some good extra-story will come in from playing Blue Shift (Barney's campaign) and Opposing Forces.

If you don't care too much for PC gaming you can either buy Half life for the PS2, or you can even get the unreleased Dreamcast version of the game. The dreamcast one was actually the first version I played of the game, only problem with it though since it was not finished the loading times are kinda irritating. Regardless at the time I was so amazed by the game I put up with them.
onestarv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
MrBubbles x360a

xX GetaBoshi Xx's Gamercard
It's really cheap on Steam, and you can get it with the two phenomenal expansion packs and the always great Team Fortress Classic. It's like 20 bucks or something. I would do that if I were you.

37 Completions
24 Retail-Latest: Toy Story 3/Proudest: Rock Band 2
13 Arcade-Latest: UNO Rush/Proudest UMK3
MrBubbles x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
The original PC games kept me company on a few days off work sick years ago, I literally didn't sleep or blink until I'd beaten HL1, Blue Shift and Opposing Force to tiny bits. And I replayed them all so many times since until my last comp died.

Yah you actually get to play as Barney in Blue Shift, and playing HL1, then Opposing Force, then Blue Shift in that order, you see all the nuances of the interconnected plots woven together, it's awesome. Then the HL2 plot gets even more seamless.

I have the HL Anthology on disc, but need to get a portable DVD drive for my laptop to get it installed....crap!
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
The Taymanator

The Taymanator's Gamercard
Really wish they would release it on XBLA, but I might just have to break down and get it on eBay. Too bad...I bet they would get a huge amount of downloads if there were cheevos attached....even from those who played it originally....
The Taymanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
playman1

LeeroyThornhill's Gamercard
the original HL is one of the best games ever made and probably the best FPS ever. It still tops the shitty FPS today in terms of gameplay,story,dialogue,and atmosphere.