PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Cypher_Cobra

Send a message via AIM to Cypher_Cobra

Cypher Cobra's Gamercard
Space Marines

Jesus Christ, Relic has played out the Space Marines so bad already. Every single damn game is a Space Marine campaign, they're so damn played out and boring.

They should have made the game from the perspective of the Chaos Legions, they're so much more interesting.

Miles Prower is the best, and he doesn't have to take crap from you.
Cypher_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Shinobi273
Ninja Mod MKII

Shinobi273's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - AOS Puck   Staff Club - Shinobi273   5,000 Posts   Staff - Moderator   Submit - Silver   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Chaos Legion are Space Marines. In all seriousness though, I think people identify with the Space Marines for their humanity. It's difficult to identify with Chaos.
Shinobi273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Control

Gardenio NZ's Gamercard
And they made firewarrior, and that wasn't that good anyway.
Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
ReignerRuler

ReignerRuler's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Control View Post
And they made firewarrior, and that wasn't that good anyway.
You didnt play as a Space Marine in Firewarrior.
You played as a Tau Firewarrior, hence the name.
ReignerRuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Cypher_Cobra

Send a message via AIM to Cypher_Cobra

Cypher Cobra's Gamercard
Imperial Guard would be a nice alternative to Space Marines, they're very popular in the novels too. Anything but Space Marines, so damn played out.

Miles Prower is the best, and he doesn't have to take crap from you.
Cypher_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Spiderpope

spiderpope's Gamercard
Space Marines sell, its as simple as that. They are the poster child for 40k, so its no wonder they are used in the videogames. And given the Ultramarines movie thats in the works, its also no surprising the chapter used is going to be Ultramarines.
Theres also the fact that whilst those of us who have played the tabletop game are familiar with the various races, there are some whose only exposure to the universe comes from Dawn of War so it makes sense to keep Marines as the primary protagonists.
Spiderpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Demonhunter21

BeatDownPenguin's Gamercard
Well Warhammer 40k originated from Space Marines/Tyranids (space hulk) adn you can't really play as a tyranid as that is just mindless attacking in massive numbers to devour planets.
so thats probably why space marines are so overdone.

--->
my youtube channel<---

Demonhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
Nobby

NoBByz NuTzZ's Gamercard
what do u mean all the games are space marines, all the dawn of wars u had different races, firewarrior was tau.
Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:06 AM   #9
Elm

Hassan4's Gamercard
I want to play as an Inquisitor. It would be badass to play as Eisenhorn and control Cherubael as a pet.
Elm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
Muck1ngFupp3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonhunter21 View Post
Well Warhammer 40k originated from Space Marines/Tyranids (space hulk) adn you can't really play as a tyranid as that is just mindless attacking in massive numbers to devour planets.
so thats probably why space marines are so overdone.
You sir are wrong, very very wrong!
Muck1ngFupp3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
Demonhunter21

BeatDownPenguin's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muck1ngFupp3t View Post
You sir are wrong, very very wrong!
its what I was told in Games workshop when they re-released space-hulk.

--->
my youtube channel<---

Demonhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
dang racoons

kiekan007's Gamercard
I think they are always used as they are the most recognised warhammer race however i continue to lvie in the hope of a necron game
dang racoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #13
WordBearer

ChaosGlory99's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher_Cobra View Post
Jesus Christ, Relic has played out the Space Marines so bad already. Every single damn game is a Space Marine campaign, they're so damn played out and boring.

They should have made the game from the perspective of the Chaos Legions, they're so much more interesting.
Finally someone who speaks the truth. I am sick of the Space Marine goody-toeshoes crap. I really can't stand the Ultramarines to boot! I want to play as my Word Bearers plain and simple. I WANT DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR!!! But to be fair to Relic, Space Marines do sell. And I agree with what was previously posted 'it's hard for people to associate with Chaos Space Marines.'
WordBearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
matdan1212

matdan1212's Gamercard
Why the hate? The Tau had their chance and they did focus on the Chaos in Chaos Rising its just more epic blasting through hordes of Orks with a bolter rather than a las cannon weilding Imperial Guard.
matdan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:49 AM   #15
Shinigami Grahf

Send a message via AIM to Shinigami Grahf

Shinigami Grahf's Gamercard
The Space Marines are the cornerstone of the current 40k setting - it'd be like asking to play a game from the Covenant's standpoint instead of a Spartan in a Halo game. It'd be neat yes, but who knows if they'd ever do it?
Shinigami Grahf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #16
Darth Bambrox

Darth Bambrox's Gamercard
they have kinda milked the franchise a bit but this looks seriously awesome, I personally cannot wait to curb stomb some orc heads!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #17
bobby4725

roberto4725's Gamercard
be nice to play as the grey knights there totally different from any other space marine chapter
bobby4725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #18
GreyTemplar

greytemplar's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby4725 View Post
be nice to play as the grey knights there totally different from any other space marine chapter
Space Marines are focused on killing the Xenos where as Grey Knights (Ordos Malleus) is focused on Daemons and Chaos extermination
GreyTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #19
Battletick

Battletick's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordBearer View Post
Finally someone who speaks the truth. I am sick of the Space Marine goody-toeshoes crap. I really can't stand the Ultramarines to boot! I want to play as my Word Bearers plain and simple. I WANT DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR!!! But to be fair to Relic, Space Marines do sell. And I agree with what was previously posted 'it's hard for people to associate with Chaos Space Marines.'

Heresy! I'll have to kill you in multiplayer when the game comes out for this outrage! Also, saying the space marines are overused is like saying that humans are overused in games. I haven't heard people whine about always having to play as humans in any other game... Also, Chaos is evil. I don't want to be a super-evil demon worshipping dirt bag. I think Chaos is overused, why aren't we fighting tyranids, or necrons, or something cool?

Last edited by Battletick; 06-15-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Minor change
Battletick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #20
dlmc88

Marneus CaIgar's Gamercard
At the end of the day, I love marines. Would love to see Space Wolves, or some kind of chapter customisation. Would be an awesome feature. You can see from my attempt at a GT who my money is always going to be one but I have to agree. It would be nice to see some other work go into a game, you know an Imperial Guard campaign, or maybe like an rpg necromunda stylee game.

I love the original Space Hulk PC game, I think I was about 12 when it came out and was sh*****g myself all the way through. I was disappointed with Blood Bowl however, and I was looking forward to that so much. Probably my favourite spin off.

All in all I think there has been quite a few attempts at making something from the series, from Dawn of War to Blood Bowl to Space Hulk to Battlemarch but when it comes down to console gaming, marines are always gonna be top choice if they're to compete, i.e Master Chief, Marcus Fenix etc.

Last edited by dlmc88; 06-27-2011 at 12:24 AM.
dlmc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #21
Miles Prower F6

Miles Prower F6's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battletick View Post
Also, saying the space marines are overused is like saying that humans are overused in games. I haven't heard people whine about always having to play as humans in any other game... Also, Chaos is evil. I don't want to be a super-evil demon worshipping dirt bag. I think Chaos is overused, why aren't we fighting tyranids, or necrons, or something cool?
Humans are overused, games would be more unique if they had non-humans in them like Mass Effect or the Elder Scrolls.

Chaos has their bag of whammies in addition to humans, I saw some daemons in a trailers.
Miles Prower F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #22
Penguino Rojo

penguino rojo's Gamercard
For the general public, having a Human main character is easier to understand and get into then trying to understand a non-human characters background, society, thinking, etc.

In addition, since video games are a 'release' from reality, playing a super soldier is more appealing then most other options, and Astartes fit the bill nicely.

I would love to play as a chaos marine, but one problem is how do you pick? How do you show the many different ways and mind sets a chaos marine could have? Or different characteristics? Those that are aware of them usually have their favorite or one they identify more with, even if they don't want to play them. Loyalist Space Marines are easier as they all have the same basic mindset with just minor differences in how they operate. So it is better for a company to go with what the general public will want, and maybe have a dlc that explores the 'others' to some degree.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #23
ThunderStorm101

Send a message via MSN to ThunderStorm101

ThunderStorm101's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Would be cool if you started at a Space Marine and then had a Choice turn to Chaos kinda like in Chaos Rising, It makes sense for the player then, as a choice for being evil instead of being told your evil

But forgot about to much Space Marine, what about to much 40k in general,

I want a Kick-Ass Warhammer Fantasy game, How awesome would it be to play as a Warrior Priest, Witch Hunter, Slayer or even a game based on one of the Novels, I would actually Jizz if they made a Malus Darkblade game in a Similar Hack n Slash style to Space Marine

Unfortunatly i think some Crap Developer owns the rights to WH Fantasy so i doubt it will happen, Warhammer Online has been the only good WHF game and even that didnt have enough legs to make it last