PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Gears of War
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
TVthePunisher

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via MSN to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher

TVthePunisher's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
How to Boost Online Achievements in Gears of War

We have an achievement trading thread, that's for a different purpose - to find others to boost with. We have an achievement guide, but not a lot is mentioned on the online achievements for the game (Annex and DLC ones are mentioned but this is for ones you CAN'T do locally with a second controller and profile).

I guess you could call this a guide...so this is credited to me, TVthePunisher and only this site has permission to use it. It's not in the standard Achievement Guide FORMAT really, it's mainly how to Boost. Yeah the ultimate goal is achievements but...ah, who knows. Also I keep getting the "fatal error" thing when I search, so if something like this exists my apologies.

Table of Contents
  1. Seriously.../Seriously 1.0
  2. Weapon Kills/Executions/Curb Stomps/Revives
  3. Always Remember Your First/Don't Hate the Player/Can't Touch Me/Around The World/Mix It Up/A Series of Tubes
  4. DLC Achievements

Seriously.../Seriously 1.0

Difficulty: 2/10
Time Required: 100+ hours (I am being Seriously Serious about Seriously 1.0 here, yes you need THAT MUCH TIME)

The Meat of the Game. It is the BEAST of this game, a monster. It's GLITCHED TOO! 10 bloody thousand kills, 10K...

TEN THOUSAND ONLINE MURDERS...+!! Wait what? I said it was glitched but...why +? Well it's a weird achievement, look at it...seriously? Why is it glitched, I mean seriously...SERIOUSLY. Well the theory is that due to a Title Update made somewhere a year or so after the game's release, maybe in 2008 for all I know...erased the backlog of kills people made. So essentially you could kill 6,000 people...and after the title update, you just add 10K more to that number bringing you 16,000+ required. BUT there's conflicting reports with this thing...some people have killed like 3,000 before the update then unlocking it at something like 11K, maybe still a little over 10K!

Then what the hell is it that makes this achievement so weird...it seems to unlock at random for people who only started boosting it a month or so ago. The common name number these days is right around 10,500. WTF, that's not 10,000 kills...but pretty much don't expect it to unlock at exactly 10,000...

Enough talk about how it's bugged and we aren't talking about that dreadful profile glitching people do to unlock it without doing anything (do it and people won't like you), how do you boost this stupid thing?! Host matches and kill each other at spawn? Bah...might work on a game like DOOM and DOOM II, where you only need a simple 100 kills...but you need to do something special. Suicide boosting! Or vending machine boosting! OR BOOSTING FOR DUMMIES, ER DUMMY BOOSTING!

Here's the basics before you choose either method
  1. Form a party of 6 people. 8 people is no good for this, too much problems and takes more time. MAKE SURE IT'S SIX, you can have 2 in the party as backups in case somebody leaves...but only 6 for the game.
  2. Host it on War Machine, 19 round duration. Minute duration is used to only define one War Machine match from another (as a lot of people boost on this map), because most rounds only last 15 seconds anyways.
  3. If you get any randoms in your party, just restart the match after a minute. They may leave on their own...jumping into game chat does nothing as most of them don't have mics and a lot of them are TRYING to intentionally ruin boosting sessions. Also don't instantly avoid the player either with a review, they may be a fellow booster just in the wrong game!
  4. EVERYONE MUST HAVE MICS OR KNOW WHAT TO DO...it's not entirely necessary for everyone to have a mic if they know what to do...but then again they DO need to know when to search, all depends on the people. But mics are essential for boosting just so people know how to communicate what they're doing...

What is Suicide Boosting?

A term used to refer to games that let you die and it counts for a kill, right? Well...maybe in Duke Nukem 3D with the meat processing grinder thingy in Duke Burger but not in this game. Well kind of in this game...maybe. What it is is explosive suicide, someone smacks you with a grenade or you smack them with one and just stand by each other. BIG BOOM! And each of you get a kill for just standing there next to each other? YES!

This is suicide boosting in action:

As you can see, they run to the Torque bow...now here's a map.

You spawn at either the top left or top right in those two seperate areas, LS (longshot) is at the north end and you can see everything else (TB is Torque Bow and FG is Frag Grenade). You swap spawn points each round, so you'll be running left or right depending on the spawn point you're at. So say you start on the left, you're going to run right. It's Locusts who start on the left with Cogs on the right, then they swap after every round.

Here's a map showing where you need to run (red line for locusts on round 1, blue line for cogs on round 1...follow the opposite line on round 2 for either team, so on and so forth):

Basically, following the video and map...just tag someone or get tagged and make sure to keep your teams even. The max you need to let one team get ahead of the other is to 18 rounds complete, in which case the other team needs to make sure to have a frag group wait until everyone else is dead...and have the person from the team that needs to catch up get tagged then either chainsaw or melee the tagger so the final kill goes to them.

Ultimately, you're going to get 37 rounds and 37 kills each with this method...18/18 and then the 19th round win is technically the 37th kill.

What is Vending Machine Boosting?

"This isn't Bioshock 2..." you must be thinking...if you've had to endure ranking up in that game. You hack vending machines or turrets, get ADAM...blah blah...nah, this is Gears and I guess the first use of the term.

Well it's a little more lengthier, but basically one guy meets up with three guys from the other team at the vending machine and kills them for 6 round rounds. He ends up with 30 kills, then trades it off to his fellow for 6 rounds, then his other fellow for 6 rounds. The only problem with this method is that everyone will end up with 33 kills sure, but that leaves the final round for suicide boosting to get everyone at 34 kills..you lose 3.

Here it is in action if you really want to do this..

They're meeting by the longshot for some reason but go figure. Same thing.

What is Dummy Boosting?

An interesting method, can be done more than one way:

1.)Someone with more than one Xbox and a copy of Gears gets online with a second account and puts it on the other team. He can then kill-kill-kill this over and over. Doesn't seem that efficient if you only have one guy does it? Well, you can do a secondary with this. If it's just one "meatbag", you can abuse the corpse for weapon boosting if you desire...OR...one person from that meatbag's team can get double kills!

How this works is one player stays behind at spawn while the other runs out, he suicide kills with one person from the other team. Then both those guys come over and one of them gets a kill on the dummy. They both come up to you and suicide boost, bam two kills. You can end up with 74 kills or more this way. Essentially...you get 2 matches worth of kills for the price of one match!

The more people with more xbox's can mean more kills for people that need them...say you got two boosters with 4 xbox's, that means a dummy on each team. Or maybe three boosters with a total of 6 xbox's...that means you could have an entire team of bodies to run up and kill. Eh...might be easier just to suicide boost. Then again...1 guy with 5 xbox's and then one guy who needs to boost seriously could get so many damn kills from one match it's crazy.

2.) Someone who has Seriously can potentially be an extra meatbag. So just read above and if someone with Seriously wishes to be the extra, invite em!

Final Notes: Time-wise, if you do everything right, you can end up with 111 kills an hour. It would take 9 hours for you to hit 1,000...but since most times this isn't the case with things running as smoothly (people leaving and what not)...expect per day to maybe get 800. I'm currently 4,200 working towards 10,000.

CONTROVERSY!!

So...there's this big controversy between everyone on whether or not kills actually count if you're not the one using the torque or tagging someone. Well, if I unlock it at around 10,500-11,500...I can confirm this is just a big pile of BS like the whole "OMG THEY'RE GOING TO SHUT DOWN THE GEARS 1 SERVERS!". AND, with 10765 kills to unlock it, I WAS RIGHT. So...kills count as kills count, worry about disconnects not if you are delivering the pain.

Most of my kills have BEEN from being on the receiving end of these kills...and will continue to be so. I hate making myself an experiment but...this thing is an annoying rumor, I'd like for it to be thrown in the dust. I've heard from plenty who only killed themselves for about 2K times...yet got seriously. Go figure.

Also whether or not disconnected kills (if someone disconnects in the game, the kills you made) actually count towards the achievement is up to debate. They go on the leaderboard, most times...but for all we know this is where the extra kills over 10K comes for new players!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenderPowguin View Post
I'll support any post of CrazyMv94's that isn't whining from lack of social connection.

Last edited by TVthePunisher; 09-30-2011 at 04:11 AM.
TVthePunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
TVthePunisher

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via MSN to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Weapon Kills/Executions/Curb Stomps/Revives

Several maps make boosting as easy as pie, especially depending on how many folks you have!

1.) Essentially, 6 people are required to start a match. It's a necessary number, though you CAN make it 8 folks if you please.

8 people works if you want to get these things done in one match.

2.) Know your weapons, SKIP THE FOLLOWING UNTIL SUICIDE BOOSTING: Frag Tagging, Torque Bow, Chainsawing, Pistol, Headshots and Longshot (I'll explain in another section).

Basically you need to know which weapons are on which maps and when to boost for them. Since 6 are skipped until suicide boosting, that leaves boomshot, executions, curb stomps, revives, and hammer of dawn. The only ones to worry about here mapwise are hammer and boomshot, I find boomshot easiest on Gridlock but some say Fuel Depot is easier than Rooftops for the Hammer. So...it's up to your team to decide where.

Executions, Curb Stomps and Revives can be done easiest on a small map. Think Raven Down, War Machine, Gridlock...not Mansion, Tyro Station and Mausoleum.

Boomshot - On Gridlock, head from the spawn point to across the street from the longshot building (which is the one overlooking the parking lot from the spawn point). It's on the first floor, in a doorway. Have three (or four, depending on if your group is 8) of the other players stand in the center where the broken down cars are, in front of the white van. IF combined with another player, you need to kill three(four) first before he does. So basically, let them kill your team mates whichever way they wish THEN kill him and all his team mates in one shot. Trade out at 6, 9 or 18 rounds complete for your side (as appropriate), letting the other player get his final kills then trade out to the next players (if any) at 6 or 9 rounds complete.

Best combined with you or the other player doing executions/curb stomps while you or the other player does boomshot.

Hammer of Dawn - Same set-up as Boomshot, well location is different of course. I used Rooftops and I never play on Fuel Depot, so I know that the Hammer is in both buildings (sheds, houses, facilities, whatever) at each team's spawnpoint. Basically, the first open door you pass by on your way to the main area. Just let the other player get two(three) kills on your teammates then kill him and his group. Make sure they're out from under the overlooking bridge in the main area otherwise the beam won't show up. Can be done easily at spawnpoints if you don't mind having one team do all the work for awhile.

Or do the Fuel Depot method, whichever.

Executions and Curb Stomping - First and foremost, hit X to perform a Curb Stomp and melee to do an execution. X for Curb, B for Execution. There you go.

I personally combined it in suicide boosting (it's tricky, you have to melee someone before they tag you THEN melee them again while they're tagging you...then wait for moment before you decide to execute. Alternatively, I melee them right when I run up to them as they tag me, then I mash melee and then quickly mash x to pull off a curb stomp which for some unknown reason shows up as an execution! Yes! Well anyways that's how I did it)...but it's easier to just have your 6 or 8 guys meet up in a small map and pretty much follow the 2/3 or 3/4 formation (let someone or yourself kill 2/3 times or 3/4 times). Do the same for Cub Stomping.

Revives - You can get two revives off of one teammate, so that's 4 revives you can get per round or 6 if you have 8 people. The fastest way to down someone is to either melee them twice or have two players approach someone on the other team meleeing at the same time...bam they're downed. Just keep track of how many times each person is downed. Can be combined with other boosting afterwards, even suicide boosting if you don't mind taking out less than 30 seconds to get everyone's revives out of the way.

3.) Suicide Boosting Methods

Now you might be wondering..."Why wait on the Pistol and Longshot until suicide boosting?", well there's a simple answer to this: Seriously.... Yes, that achievement will likely be your last one to go for and is the most time consuming...so why not just knock these out WHILE you're doing that. ALSO, you don't waste anyone's time doing these HERE as you may think.

Longshot - You're going to pair up with the Torquebow user, immediately run to the Longshot at each round (it's exactly opposite the direction you would normally run while suicide boosting, so that means odd rounds for locusts will be on the left and on the right for even while cogs have it on the right during odd rounds and on the left during even). Chances are you'll have the longshot just about the time the torque user grabs his bow, now after both of you have your weapon meet up on the wooden tracks on either side of center. Both of you aim at each other and Longshot user, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THEIR HEAD IN YOUR SIGHTS. Torque user will shoot first and directly after you're going to fire immediately into their skull. Because of this, you will always get the final kill between you. So if you are trying to even up rounds, make sure to either stick the longshot/torquer at the end or in the center (basically the second to die).

Ultimately, this also rewards headshots.

Pistol - This is only recommended for people getting tagged by grenades. Originally I said to shoot someone 5 times, let them tag you then shoot them a few times in the skull, when in reality I discovered a better method: equip your pistol, melee your partner, let them tag you then step back and shoot them twice in the skull...bam, headshot/pistol kill. That easy.

Grenade Tags - You MUST be the one tagging for this to count, sure the kill registers for both players but will not count as a STICKY'D GRENADE rather it will count as an exploded grenade (say if you throw one and it catches a player in the explosion). That's all there is to it, to determine who gets the final kill the other player can either chainsaw or not chainsaw...or you just need to move in a direction away from or closest to the grenade for it to credit for one player or the other.

For example, if you stick someone and stand on the other side from the grenade it will credit to them as the final kill. But if you stick someone and stand in front of them (and the grenade) it will credit to you. It's easier to just let the other player chainsaw you though...

Torque Bow - Similar to the grenade tagging, kills credit based kind of on direction of the other player...but it's easier to even this out with a shotgun to the torque user's face! Anyways, torque bow counts for BOTH PLAYERS regardless of who is using it so getting the achievement is easier with this than grenade tags. Nice huh? =) Alternatively, you can combine this with a longshot user to knock out both your cheevos.

Chainsaws - Combine ONLY with someone who is tagging you with a grenade, there's barely any time to use your chainsaw on a torque user. Wait til your tagged then hold B and click the trigger, bam your chainsaw kill. When you have this cheevo done, you can melee with a shotgun in it's place to have the same final kill effect.

4.) Know your Order (non-suicide boosting)

Simply put...how many people are boosting weapons and are you combining this with suicide boosting? Suicide boosting section explains that but for this you have to know if one person needs it, 2 people, etc.

1 person - Have to combine this with suicide kills unfortunately, if you need Hammer of Dawn or Boomshot, you might want to just wait for a party that has another person who needs weapons or specifically a weapon boosting party.

2 people - 92 kills for each person, plus possible 93rd for both if both die by an explosive weapon. Let one guy get the final kills for 18 rounds, he'll end up with 54 by the end of that. The other guy will be killing your two teammates for these 18 rounds, thus he'll end up with 36 by your 18th round complete. Then you trade off...he'll win 18 rounds, thus evening up at 90 kills while you get 36 more to also be 90.

IF you manage to have 8 people, all you need is one match to finish these two guys off with their achievements. 4 kills for the main guy means 72 for you while the other guy is getting 54 (the same killcount you'd get if it's just 6 people for the main guy!)...that means 54 + 72 = 126 kills for each guy! So maybe if you can get 8 people, damn it takes so little time to do it this way. =) Also makes it efficient in case any glitching happens (where it doesn't unlock at exactly 100 kills).

3-4 people - I say 3-4 because you (or the other) will kill for 9 rounds (while they get their 2-3 kills on your teammates), then your partner will kill for 9 rounds...or you will, whichever. Go down the list to the next two people and let them kill just like you and your partner did. Now if you have THREE players going for weapon boosting, the other player who doesn't need it can just kill any way they want to boost for seriously. If you have seriously already, then let another teammate kill for their seriously.

5-6 people - Same as 3-4, except you will trade out at 6 rounds complete. Same deal with 5 people too, just do it the way illustrated above.

7-8 people...just skip it, have the other two stay in the party chat.

Quote:
I'll support any post of CrazyMv94's that isn't whining from lack of social connection.

Last edited by TVthePunisher; 09-21-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
TVthePunisher

Always Remember Your First/Don't Hate the Player/Can't Touch Me/Around The World/Mix It Up/A Series of Tubes

Difficulty: 3/10 (7/10 if nobody communicates _)
Time Requirement: 1-2 hours

WHOA WHOA, so many at once?? That's the thing though...they can be completed so fast it's not even funny.

You will need 6 people, 8 can be used but I wouldn't recommend it. EVERYONE MUST HAVE A MIC, I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH IN ORDER TO AVOID STRESS AMONGST YOUR TEAM!

We are taking out all of these in one go, let's do it:

-Have one player who NEEDS A Series of Tubes be the host for each of these 25 matches.
-Every player must stay on the same team. NO SWITCHING sides, at all. If you start a game where everyone is not on the right team, end it. Doesn't matter as much when most everyone has their achievements but still.

First and foremost, host a match round, 2 duration on Gridlock in Warzone. It's small, it's sweet...you're all going to meet up at the longshot. Well, most of you:

Don't Hate the Player and Always Remember Your First

Locusts first, Cogs are going to be winning on each map after we finish here. One person from the Locust side needs to head to the longshot with the three Cogs - kill all three of them however you wish. The match will end and you will have Don't Hate the Player and if you haven't played before, everyone will receive Always Remember Your First.

Rinse and repeat for every person on the Locust team, then do the Cog side wins. Overall that's 6 matches played so that's 6 hosted matches for the guy going for A Series of Tubes. May be less if only a few needed it.

Mix It Up, Around the World and Can't Touch Me

Follow this list (I know there's on in the achievement guide but with how many groups I've been in for Around the World, you made it more confusing than you needed to dude...):

-Canals (start an execution match)
-Clocktower (start an assassination match)
-Escalation
-Fuel Depot
-Gridlock (repeating for safety)
-Mansion*
-Mausoleum (probably set this to 3 minutes, confusing map if you never play it)*
-Rooftops*
-Tyro Station
-War Machine

*For some reason on the list everyone references, these are listed last...so for some reason they go to Tyro Station next. That's wrong...you can simply host one match right after the other considering the multiplayer menu lists them alphabetically.

The same host is going to host a 1 round, 3 minute duration match on Execution for Canals, letting the Cogs win. Next host on Clocktower with assassination and of course cogs win again. Every cog will unlock Mix It Up if the first Gridlock match earlier was on Warzone. Now, go through the rest of the maps on Warzone...kill all the locusts and after War Machine, Around the World will unlock. Somewhere along the way Can't Touch Me will also unlock. Repeat for everyone on locusts and the guy hosting will have 25 matches hosted.

Now, what about those other 25 matches? Start hosting any Weapon Boosting or Seriously boosting lobbies that you need to take care of. Hell, if this is your FINAL achievement then just host a Seriously match and go somewhere else for 20 minutes each time =P keep going and you'll eventually unlock A Series of Tubes. For any others that need the achievement, just host any Seriously matches or Weapon matches.

DLC Achievements

Now this...I'm not going to list. Why? Already taken care of in the Achievement Guide, so Click Here Go to the second and third posts.

Closing Notes:

I, as of 5:28 on Sunday, September 18th 2011, am still currently working on Seriously. I wrote this during my free time while suicide boosting for the achievement...and everything in this guide is from my experience. I got this game last Saturday and have earned 55 of the 57 achievements. With now over 4300 kills, I continue to work on this...oh and if nobody's on I do THIS! IS! ANNEX! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Quote:

Last edited by TVthePunisher; 09-18-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:19 AM   #4
TVthePunisher

Thank you =) I have to add one more boosting method, which is really an add-on to "Dummy Boosting" though this is about Spawn Boosting

What is "Spawn Boosting?"

I'm OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!...kills, and a lot of the 5000+ was spent listening to debate over whether or not Spawn Boosting or Suicide Boosting was more efficient.

Let's just set the line straight...Spawn Boosting is only better if you have dummy accounts, plain and simple. If you get 6 folks together and take turns getting your 111 kills a match (the equivalent of doing 3 suicide boosting matches with no screwups), with two people going per match...that's 35-40 minutes per match. Rotating through the next two guys and then the next two, you're looking at just about 2 something hours worth to get everyone 111 kills. Suicide boosting gets you 111 kills in just above an hour, maybe below if you are really efficient!

Anyways...what is Spawn Boosting. Well, it's the same thing if you do Vending Machine or Weapon Boosting...one guy from each team kills the other two (three if you manage to get an 8 person game, more kills that way...) and then suicide boost (you do it anyways for maximum kills!) each other after everyone else is dead. The only difference from the other methods? Everyone dies and it's at the spawn points.

So say you do this on War Machine (simple, small map)...you just run to the other spawn point, kill whoever is there and then meet up with the other booster and suicide with the torque or grenades. That's it...it's typically faster to do the "Shotgun Spawn Boosting", since you always start with the weapon and it can kill instantly if you know how to use it.

I'm not insulting this method...only those who insist that it's better than suicide boosting NO MATTER WHAT. It IS better if there's dummy accounts involved, especially if you have 5 xbox's then you can just chill, kill kill kill...not have to deal with anyone disconnecting aside from yourself. But hell, just two guys with double xbox's makes it worthwhile in a way. But NO WAY IN HELL is it better with 6 actual players.

Alright alright...there ARE benefits of a 6 player spawn boosting session.

-Room to relax for everyone, even those killing. Those who are getting killed can do something else for 35 minutes and come back. Those killing can just screw around when the kill the people at spawn and aren't restricted to just torque and frags.

Quote:
Old 10-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
TVthePunisher

A final update for those who are a little concerned with the whole "I'm mainly the one getting blown up and not tagging/torquing" thing...I will clarify that I...

A.)Only tagged for maybe 3000 kills and used torque + weapon kills to max about half of my total kills being by my own hand. The remaining bit were ALL getting blown up by somebody else (while of course catching them in the explosion, thus crediting me a kill).

B.)Started boosting back on I'd say roughly September 11th, 2011 and unlocked the achievement on September 27th, 2011. So about 16 days was my time to get this thing unlocked, now the standard is a 100 hours to 10K PROVIDED you don't have randoms, nobody needs to leave, gets disconnected, whatever...I probably actually spent closer to 150 hours total trying to get this done.

UNLOCKED SERIOUSLY AT 10765

I boosted all of it, and the 765 makes sense for the matches where at least one person dropped out, sometimes near the very end where you couldn't tell. I imagine if I had just left those matches right when someone dropped out, I would have unlocked it earlier...maybe at 10K if I had kept up with it mostly but...using the above boosting methods, I have unlocked every achievement in this game...and I hope this how-to can help you guys too! GOOD LUCK!

Quote:

Last edited by TVthePunisher; 10-13-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
hypermetalsonic

HyperMetalSonic's Gamercard
Nice guide!! And damn, you started back on Sep 11th?
I have everything done except for seriously of course, started about a year or so ago. Trying to get back into

I'll skim this over and see if I can learn anything. thanks!
hypermetalsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
TVthePunisher

Just throwing a bump out there, see if it can help anyone else.

Quote:
Old 03-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
TVthePunisher

Throwing a bump to this ;>_> 2 years later, but people still work on this so hopefully it can still help folks.

Quote: