PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox 360
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
killerjt

killer jt's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Book Club   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Submit - Silver   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Microsoft patents motion-sensing technology

New spatial-measurement system detailed; will the Xbox 360 eventually incorporate a Revolution-style player interface?

Nintendo has made no secret of its "blue ocean" strategy for the next generation of console wars. Instead of getting bogged down trying to do the same thing its competitors are doing, only better, the company is looking to explore new waters, creating markets where there are no competitors. One of the prime examples of this strategy is the motion-sensitive controller for the Nintendo Revolution, but the blue ocean Nintendo had envisioned could be getting pretty crowded by the time the system comes out.

Last week, a post on the flash-game and movie site Razoric.com sparked rumors that Sony was hard at work on a Revolution-style controller for the PlayStation 2, and now there's evidence that Microsoft is exploring similar technologies.

A little over a week ago, a US patent was granted to Microsoft for a new method of spatial measurement. Basically, the setup proposed in the patent application can track an object's path through 3D space using multiple-range cameras in a more accurate and consumer-friendly manner than has previously been available. The patent was originally applied for in August of 2004.

The patent makes no mention of the technology being used for anything game-related, but it does say it would ideally be implemented with something that has the basic components of a personal computer, and also emphasizes that a number of modifications and variations to the technology are possible. The only use for the technology explicitly described in the patent is that of tracking a user's path walking around a room.

Microsoft has already announced that a camera peripheral is in the works for the Xbox 360. And while the company has been talking about video chat and video mail as future Xbox functions for years, recent reports indicate that the Xbox 360 camera is more than just a simple webcam. A recent report on Xbox 360 Fanboy cites a member of the Microsoft hardware team as saying that the next-gen system's camera will allow for gesture-initiated gameplay. As an example of such, the article suggests a game where players can uses gestures to silently give their teammates orders to advance or retreat.

Microsoft representatives did not immediately return requests for comment.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145348.html

http://x360a.org.myminicity.com/ind

Visit My City each day.

http://killerjt.myminicity.com/
killerjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
k_dog

Send a message via AIM to k_dog Send a message via MSN to k_dog Send a message via Yahoo to k_dog

I Kavir I's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerjt
...A recent report on Xbox 360 Fanboy cites a member of the Microsoft hardware team as saying that the next-gen system's camera will allow for gesture-initiated gameplay. As an example of such, the article suggests a game where players can uses gestures to silently give their teammates orders to advance or retreat.
How DOPE would this be? I would love to be abile to gesture rather than open my mouth in Halo...
k_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:01 AM   #3
scoobydiesel

Send a message via AIM to scoobydiesel Send a message via MSN to scoobydiesel Send a message via Yahoo to scoobydiesel

Scoobydiesel's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
^ hahahahaha.....thats most likly the main reason people dont want(or do want) this item...that and most people dont wanna see other people nude...haha

Old School member.
scoobydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:06 AM   #4
k_dog

Send a message via AIM to k_dog Send a message via MSN to k_dog Send a message via Yahoo to k_dog

I Kavir I's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Submit - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydiesel
^ hahahahaha.....thats most likly the main reason people dont want(or do want) this item...that and most people dont wanna see other people nude...haha
"Messages:

scoobydiesel Subject: My Nads
scoobydiesel Subject: WanGzorZ
scoobydiesel Subject: 7eH Familys
scoobydiesel Subject: ManGina"

Can't wait!!!
Old 03-05-2006, 01:09 AM   #5
scoobydiesel

Send a message via AIM to scoobydiesel Send a message via MSN to scoobydiesel Send a message via Yahoo to scoobydiesel

Scoobydiesel's Gamercard

lmao mangina...lmao try and do everything i cant hink of from 40 year old virgin....the condom part...HAHAHA

Old School member.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:16 AM   #6
k_dog

I Kavir I's Gamercard

"Messages:

scoobydiesel Subject: MY 40 year old virgin!!!"

lol, j/k
Old 03-05-2006, 01:24 AM   #7
scoobydiesel

Scoobydiesel's Gamercard

shhh dont tell anyone my secret!

What do they eat?
Meat...
OH thats good....
Dude, YOUR meat!

Old School member.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:26 AM   #8
k_dog

I Kavir I's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydiesel
shhh dont tell anyone my secret!

What do they eat?
Meat...
OH thats good....
Dude, YOUR meat!
You mean "You're"...well, it could go either way..

yeah I know, Zathura....that movie blows BTW. Jumanji in Space...

-Brian
Old 06-03-2009, 02:59 AM   #9
ReaLiStiiC

Jumanji was freekin doope :P
And lol what are you guys even talking about lol
Old 06-03-2009, 03:06 AM   #10
ReaLiStiiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT SLaYeR View Post
bump old threads much???
Your bumping it too n00b
Old 06-03-2009, 03:08 AM   #11
GhOsT SLaYeR

Send a message via AIM to GhOsT SLaYeR

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
^ u bump an old thread and double post... also you incriminate me by doing [qoute=GhOsT SLaYeR] [/quote]

GhOsT SLaYeR is offline   Reply With Quote