PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Shooter > Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Puppys
Running Save Mode

Send a message via Skype™ to Puppys

x1001x Puppys's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Subscriber - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - rekikire   Donator - Level 2   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - troy0891   Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal
Total Awards: 37 (more» ...)
Serious mode tips

I was thinking we would eventually need a thread on this that gives out tips and strategies for beating serious. I myself have just beaten Dunes as of now, and it took forever. If you have any level tips or tricks or locations, post here.

Stating the somewhat obvious guidelines of Serious:

1. Save. After. Every. Battle. NO, every battle.
2. If it can be done better, restart. This is key because you don't wanna save with 5 health going into a room full of enemies
3. use infinite ammo. It is part of the game and doesn't disable achievos.
4. Avoid secrets that spawn more enemies. That +100 heart that spawns 5 red mechs isn't worth it.
5. You are certainly going to need the Minigun as soon as possible, and this can be obtained in the first room on Oasis.

And i will start with a quick guide to Dunes. the first part isn't a problem. Once you get over the hill is when it gets impossible. Just every time you spawn a new wave, head back to the start (over the hill) and the enemies will file into that small area so you aren't surrounded. This is only tough for the second to last wave when 9 red mechs spawn surrounding you. You will need to take out the bulls (main priority) and head back to spawn at the same time on this wave. Yes, this will take 100 tries but as i see it, it is the only way to kill them off. the highlander (big big dude) shouldn't be a problem, you just need to strafe left and right and plow him with rockets. Once inside the last area, grab the items and quickly run to the left. You need to get up on top of that platform that contains a +50 health and some electricity. here you can fight them off little by little where once again you will not have to watch your back. I only used the minigun the entire level, but rockets are very good for the red mech wave. Don't grab any secrets (the health, oasis, and hidden item ones) because they spawn another ton of unnecessary enemies.

Hope it helps, if anyone can add to this it would be great, especially for Great Pyramid, I don't know how i am going to do that one!

Last edited by Puppys; 01-15-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Puppys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
DogPoloni

Can you confirm that infinite ammo doesn't disable achievement? I can't give any tips as of now, because I suck at the game
DogPoloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Would You Kindly

Never 1st's Gamercard
To make the first part of the great pyramid 10 times easier, as soon as you walk into the arena, turn left or right and walk to the corner. Hop onto the metal thing with the flame in it and rocket jump onto the lowest wall. You'll be able to pick them off from there. You have to activate the enemies before you do this though so walk into the middle by the ammo pack (which respawns infinitly) the run back when the music changes and do the rocket jump. Also when the bull enemies come, i suggest you leave 1 alive so you can jump down and get more ammo. You'll need it by then.

And does the infinite ammo cheat really allow achievements? If it does I just played this game the really hard way.

Last edited by Would You Kindly; 01-15-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Would You Kindly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Puppys
Running Save Mode

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Subscriber - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - rekikire   Donator - Level 2   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - troy0891   Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal
I will confirm it when i beat the great pyramid...right now i'm stuck on a level before that so it has been frustrating, but I do know that "Serious Beginner" "Game Master" and "It's a Secret!" all unlocked while I had infinite ammo on.

EDIT: just got it, Infinite ammo DOES NOT disable any achievements.

Last edited by Puppys; 01-16-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Puppys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
Puppys
Running Save Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Would You Kindly View Post
To make the first part of the great pyramid 10 times easier, as soon as you walk into the arena, turn left or right and walk to the corner. Hop onto the metal thing with the flame in it and rocket jump onto the lowest wall. You'll be able to pick them off from there. You have to activate the enemies before you do this though so walk into the middle by the ammo pack (which respawns infinitly) the run back when the music changes and do the rocket jump. Also when the bull enemies come, i suggest you leave 1 alive so you can jump down and get more ammo. You'll need it by then.

And does the infinite ammo cheat really allow achievements? If it does I just played this game the really hard way.
Thanks for the Great Pyramid tip, I got on top and ran along the wall until they couldn't see me at all and I never died...Any tips for the final part? as in is there a certain amount you have to hurt him before the door opens?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #6
C dot Wizzle

Send a message via AIM to C dot Wizzle

C dot Wizzle's Gamercard
How do you turn on infinite ammo in single player?

C dot Wizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
Puppys
Running Save Mode

You have to do it from the beginning when you select your difficulty, press Y.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
C dot Wizzle

C dot Wizzle's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001puppys View Post
You have to do it from the beginning when you select your difficulty, press Y.
Wooooow. That blew me. I'm on Karnak right now.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Jet1337

Jet1337's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Heh, I didn't know you could turn on infinite ammo.

I notice that if you turn it on, your multiplier gets decreased. Screw that.

Last edited by Jet1337; 01-16-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Jet1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
Puppys
Running Save Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet1337 View Post
Heh, I didn't know you could turn on infinite ammo.

I notice that if you turn it on, your multiplier gets decreased. Screw that.
Yes, but we are going for an achievement, so if -8x means the game is less frustrating, I am sure most people would settle for that in a heartbeat.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Ganon113

father of pain's Gamercard
i rather have the achievement then score

Thanks xFortySeven for the sig!

Ganon113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:18 AM   #12
Puppys
Running Save Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by C dot Wizzle View Post
Wooooow. That blew me. I'm on Karnak right now.
that truly sucks... I was only on the 4th level, I COULD not beat the boss reptoloid thingy cause i kept running out of rockets
Old 01-17-2010, 04:38 AM   #13
C dot Wizzle

C dot Wizzle's Gamercard
Quote:
that truly sucks... I was only on the 4th level, I COULD not beat the boss reptoloid thingy cause i kept running out of rockets
Oh well. Ammo was never really an issue aside from the beginning of Approaching Thebes, where they leave you with nothing but shotgun sells.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #14
Puppys
Running Save Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by C dot Wizzle View Post
Oh well. Ammo was never really an issue aside from the beginning of Approaching Thebes, where they leave you with nothing but shotgun sells.
The good news is if you have infinite ammo on, and you get the cannon in Metropolis (secret) you will start Thebes WITH the cannon, which makes it 100x easier.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:10 AM   #15
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I just finished this and I can also confirm infinite ammo does not disable it and you do not have to do secret levels either.

These are great tips, I ended up doing the same. Something else you could add is to skip areas with rocket jumps and get up on walls on arena battles to make them easier. I skipped almost all of Metropolis (stopped for cannon), and Karnak.

On The Great Pyramid, rocket jump up onto the wall to the left of you when you enter the big area and fight them all off from there. Use the cannon all the way through to the Pyramid base. Go to the top to get the fight with the boss to start, then drop down off the platform to the left or right and get where you can only see the boss' head. Here he can't hit you with his attacks and you can just shoot him until he regenerates and then you can go inside to finish him off. I assume everyone knows how to beat him, the finale is self-explanatory how to not die.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #16
Jet1337

Jet1337's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganon113 View Post
i rather have the achievement then score
I'm so glad there's a lot of people that think like you. Saves me from worrying about people beating my score!
Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #17
asdf123

Congrats to those who beat this on serious, tried to play on normal and its kicking my ass =/
asdf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #18
Puppys
Running Save Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevander View Post
On The Great Pyramid, rocket jump up onto the wall to the left of you when you enter the big area and fight them all off from there. Use the cannon all the way through to the Pyramid base. Go to the top to get the fight with the boss to start, then drop down off the platform to the left or right and get where you can only see the boss' head. Here he can't hit you with his attacks and you can just shoot him until he regenerates and then you can go inside to finish him off. I assume everyone knows how to beat him, the finale is self-explanatory how to not die.
I assume you are talking about the part where you can get on top, back up (toward where you started) but still be on the wall out of sight? that is what I did. I am not sure what you mean with the last boss, I just found it helpful to make a HUGE circle...Because the door doesn't open until you kill everything. It is much easier to kill him from scratch once inside, because you don't have to dodge enemies while you are shooting him. A small tip for his laser cannon (the weapon the blue mechs use): if you jump up and down, back and forth, you can dodge all the bullets. Don't really have a strategy for the laser beam tho, pain in the ass!!! lol

I will update the original post a little later, I will include easier ways to beat Karnak and Metropolis obviously, as for Thebes, let me know if anyone has any strategies, this one was the hardest level. It is kinda hard to skip the level with the massive amount of enemies.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #19
CutmanMike

Send a message via AIM to CutmanMike

cutmanmike's Gamercard
Quote:
4. Avoid secrets that spawn more enemies. That +100 heart that spawns 5 red mechs isn't worth it.
Sometimes it is if you can handle what spawns. 90% of the time this isn't the case but sometimes the health and ammo is well worth it. Also exactly where is the minigun in oasis? That would have REALLY helped against the gajillion frog boss. Also I didn't find Dunes too hard with the red mechs. I just ran away from the level as much as I could and took everything out at a distance. The mechs are useless at really long range.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #20
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
The minigun on Oasis is once you go inside, go to the left side and pick up the health caplet on the floor and you should get a "Sound attack secret" and a secret bouncer will appear below the statue in front of you. Jump up into the statue (helps for it to be destroyed) and it will send you flying into a secret compartment in the wall behind you with the minigun inside.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #21
Incompl33t

Send a message via AIM to Incompl33t

EAT 4 THE LOLZ's Gamercard
Ok so I'm up to Thebes - Luxor and I'm at the final room before the end. Does anyone have any strategies for this because as soon as I pick up the first gold ankh there is just too much handle.

I got 1000G on Sonic the Hedgehog. I didn't like the game, I'm just insane.
Incompl33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #22
Puppys
Running Save Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompl33t View Post
Ok so I'm up to Thebes - Luxor and I'm at the final room before the end. Does anyone have any strategies for this because as soon as I pick up the first gold ankh there is just too much handle.
yep quite possibly the hardest part to survive...The only thing i did was take everything out slowly but surly... hide behind the pillar on either left or right (don't hide behind middle one because kleers can attack from both sides) and listed for kleers... When there arent any of those in your face, you can slowly take out the scorpions and green ppl... near the end with the red mechs, they are almost useless if you strafe between pillars, but take out the blue ones first because they can hit you easy. It isn't the best idea to make a run for it, you will get torn to pieces...So i made sure i killed everything after collecting each piece, which took forever, but it worked.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #23
Incompl33t

Send a message via AIM to Incompl33t

EAT 4 THE LOLZ's Gamercard
Quote:
yep quite possibly the hardest part to survive...The only thing i did was take everything out slowly but surly... hide behind the pillar on either left or right (don't hide behind middle one because kleers can attack from both sides) and listed for kleers... When there arent any of those in your face, you can slowly take out the scorpions and green ppl... near the end with the red mechs, they are almost useless if you strafe between pillars, but take out the blue ones first because they can hit you easy. It isn't the best idea to make a run for it, you will get torn to pieces...So i made sure i killed everything after collecting each piece, which took forever, but it worked.
Yes! Finally did it. Unfortuntely now I'm on The Great Pyramid. I managed to beat the first part, but getting to the Pyramid is unbearably hard. It's just the red mechs, there's so many of them I use the Cannon for the Bulls, and leave Ugh Zan alone, to avoid getting hurt by an enemy I didn't see. I don't think this part is too hard for me, looks like it's more of a practice area.

I got 1000G on Sonic the Hedgehog. I didn't like the game, I'm just insane.
Incompl33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #24
Gonzo345

Gonzo345's Gamercard
Huh, this achievement is quite hard! I'm trying it and I'm at the "metropolis" and I thought that you CAN'T load any savegame (you can't die) and it was so craaaaazy.

I'll get it
Gonzo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #25
pinata242

pinata242's Gamercard
Slowly but surely I've been making my way through this. Doing about 2 levels per night and last night I just started the Sewers. Haven't had much trouble, but the Dunes were a real PITA, made easier by your suggestions in the beginning, Puppies, thanks!

Suburbs were a cake walk compared to that. I'm not expecting too much trouble with the Sewers, but I'm getting worried about the latter 1/3 of the game. I really don't want to hit a wall of impassibility after getting this far.

I haven't yet decided if I'm going to RJ out of the beginning of Metropolis or play through legit. I desperately need the cannon and I'm not sure if it's worth skipping the first 2 or 3 sections as opposed to just playing them cafefully.
pinata242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:29 AM   #26
pinata242

pinata242's Gamercard
I got Metropolis King! I can't tell you how ecstatic I am about that. It took a few tries but ultimately I got the Cannon and the achievement.

Took my time getting through the first part of the Valley of the Sphinxes and in the arena, I Rocket-Jumped up to the wall and nothing could touch me. Took everything out and moved on.

Just saved at Karnak and will try for that and Luxor tomorrow. I know I'm not looking forward to the frog onslaught in Karnak or the final area of Luxor, but I finally feel like I can do it. Cannon with infinite ammo is a godsend!
pinata242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #27
GR4V1G0R3

GR4V1G0R3's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
well a quick hint/guide for dunes

take out the laser mechs, this spawns the bulls (and a few gnaars) kill those, this spawns the rocket mechs - take out 3 of these (i think there are 4) now you need to be headiong out of the start area when taking out #4, as when these mechs are dead, the kamikaze's come (i couldn't survive in there with them)

that section should / can be cleared flawlessly (you can also run out when the bulls spawn, but that can go a little wrong if you get caught on a section it doesn't want YOU to walk on, annoying as the enemies walk on it fine

run out of the start, heading straight to the building ignore the pickups -the distance is too great to kill everything that spawns and make it to the arena- simply RJ into the arena

once in there, pick up the health pill, this will trigger the items to spawn in, and let you continue

after picking up some of the items -most importantly, the laser thing, but also the ammo pack i think it is that spawns the enemies-, run to the left hand building (the one with the secret in it) RJ into there and go all the way to the back of it (the kleers WILL get up to you, and that is the only place that you can kill them before they hit you)
after killing so many of them, the scorpions spawn, blah... then the reptiloids

when yopu have finally finished with them - remembering about the one above you, it's almost done

there are 2 or 3 laser mechs, and a rocket mech too, but i forget when they spawn

aside from the first level, dunes is possibly the easiest level in the game....

i'm currently at the last area of alley of the sphinxes, and it's proving ... difficult.... damn i hate kleers...

EDIT

hint for the last fight on alley of the sphinxes
place the right hand side items* first, don't ask why, it just felt easier that way, tried on the left twice and got royally owned, after second attempt on the right i did it fairly easy (excluding my epic "standing where the boss spawns" fail)

* make sure to kill everything after each item is placed,
the back-right item is by far the easiest, the other three are pretty evenly matched
after placing the final item, grab the health, and the boss should spawn, back away to the enterance [here you can pretty much avoid all of his lava attacks], then blast away with the cannon till it's dead

now, i just need to do the last boss (and the walk to the pyramid)

i would post a tactic for luxor's final battle, but it would require a map, of more accuracy than ascii can give, all i can say is the first two ankh's are the hardest

EDIT 2
awww fuckeration, methinks my savegame corrupted, only the last section of the last level, not tried any others yet [i don't wanna know right now], it loaded fine 3 times, now it stops on the loading screen [from a fresh boot or the retry load], any suggestions what i should do ???
maybe transfer all my other saves off the HDD before it dies (i have a lot of games i'm in the middle of right now, i don't want to lose all that)

Last edited by GR4V1G0R3; 07-03-2010 at 03:29 AM. Reason: adding things
GR4V1G0R3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #28
Kex Dragon Mage

Kex Dragon Mage's Gamercard
I haven't started this yet, i'm saving it till i have all the other achievements.
But these are some very helpful tips, thanks guys!
Kex Dragon Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #29
psybOltOn

psybOltOn's Gamercard
Serious Tips

Just beat it on Serious, so I thought I would share my way with those who still try to beat this pearl.

General Tips

- unlimited ammo for ease your pain
- get the rocket launcher on the first level, the minigun on Oasis and the cannon on Metropolis
- skip the secret levels
- do it in one playthrough, don't use level select
- you can save in different slots, use that to make some hardsave when you feel safe and your health/armor is up, this way you can abuse quicksave without the fear that you loose a good point
- you should probably have a playthrough before to collect all the secrets, this way you'll know which is good to pickup and which you should leave (or just check galleyuk's YouTube videos)
- as for the levels:

Oasis
- at the Marsh Hopper carnage rocket jump out of the arena from one of the lights

Dunes
- be close to the exit of the first area before spawning the kamikazes, so you can run out and channel them
- on the second area go to the right, leave the 50+ health item as it spawns a lot of trouble but get the health+armor, then run backwards and slay all the Harpies
- when you spawn the enemies in the second area, retreat towards the oasis where the health+armor were, so you can pick them off from the distance
- the rockets kill the Bio-Mechs faster but your minigun will shoot down their rockets
- use the dunes as cover
- in the third area rocket jump on the far left corner to get the secret health and take down the enemies from that safe point

Memphis Suburbs

- immediatly run to the left and rocket jump out
- rocket jump back where the first statue standing with the button
- after pressing run across and press the other button, this opens the well
- run and jump into the well, if you do it right you should be stuck inside in the rim
- from there jump into the secret area to get more health+armor

Metropolis

- rocket jump out at the back wall
- jump back in to get the cannon
- out again, and then follow my strategy as described in this thread

Alley of the Sphinxes

- immediatly get off the road to the left
- following the road from a distance will not trigger any enemy
- when you reach the arena like place, don't go in, just follow the walls to the left all the way around
- rocket jump back to the final arena (do not enter the room between this and the previous room as the door will close and you'll stuck)
- place the rear left (if you face the exit) item first, run to the rear right while shooting everything
- do the same with the rear right and run to the left
- now the front left, than finally the front right
- after lava boss spawns, rocket jump on the wall where you came in
- here a huge column will give you shelter, if you carefully peak out the boss won't shoot at you but you can kill him with the cannon

Karnak

- activate the secret elevator, and go up, from there you can kill all the monsters
- after you got to the arena where the switches are (for moving the statues) run toward left and rocket jump out
- enter only the final area, you can skip the whole level
- grabbing the ammo pack in the middle will trigger the enemies, run and rocket jump out where you came in

Luxor

- do exactly what he does
- if rocket jumping off the bouncer is hard, just rocket jump up to the wall at the third bouncer
- when falling down at the hole make sure you won't fall on the health pill, as it spawns a lot of Kleers
- at the final arena, first wave, rocket jump back to the platform where you came from
- when the Arachnoids spawn, don't move more than necessary. clear the skeletons first, then kill the Arachnoids one by one
- when the Reptiloids spawn, just run to the rear right corner and abuse your minigun
- when the Bio-Mechanoids spawn, rocket jump up again to be safe
- leave the big health+armor bonuses to the end

The Great Pyramid
- go into the first arena, then go to the right corner
- stand on the little fire and double rocket jump up to the wall where the enemies would spawn from
- save before and practice, you want to do it with as little damage as you can
- the trick to the double rocket jump is shooting the first rocket under you and the second on the wall which is not straight
- walk over to the other side and fall down
- run to the door where you would exit to trigger the cutscene with the boss
- run and gun, get to the bottom of the pyramid, this will trigger the countdown
- stay down as it easier to move around and kill the enemies while you wait for the door to open

Well, that's it. I found it quite easy using this methods. The tricks were mostly by myself although I got some ideas from this site as well. There are videos you can see, and this YouTube video can also help you out.

If you find any typos in this post, please PM me, so I can fix it.
Also, any question, ask here and I'll try to answer.

Last edited by psybOltOn; 02-24-2011 at 12:59 AM.
psybOltOn is offline   Reply With Quote